BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

01-05-2010, 12:55 PM   #1
xyzpdq
Rep

Drives: 2009 M3 Convertible

BMW M Performance School Question

I received a gift certificate (Christmas) for the one-day M performance school in South Carolina. I also noticed there is a two-day M performance school in South Carolina as well (not the advanced school at VIR). Has anyone done both? Any recommendation on whether I should spend the extra $2K for the two day class or should I just enjoy the free one-day M school? I live in Charlotte so the trip will be easy :-)

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 01:08 PM   #2
Sleeper519
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 08 E92 M3 DCT

You can't go wrong either way. You'll have a blast and become a better driver in your M as well.

I would take the free 1-day, and save your $ for the Advanced at VIR later on. That's what I'm going to do.

2008 M3 Coupe / DCT // StopTech BBK 380/355 / Pagid RS29 / Motul / Apex Arc-8 / BFG R1S / Ground Control / MS filter / Performance spoiler / BPM tune // Road Atlanta 1:39.80 / VIR Full 2:10.87 / Barber 1:42.20
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 02:08 PM   #3
Mr.Metak2you
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: LEXUS LS(DailyDriver)
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwr'

Garage List
Yeah I would do the free 1day like Sleeper mentioned since you don't have to travel very far for the class and use the money you would have spent for the 2day on the VIR. Keep in mind, you can not do the VIR without first completing the Mschool. So think of the 1day Mschool as a foot in the door for the VIR class!
      01-05-2010, 02:13 PM   #4
rsmamg
Flying First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: M

i agree with the above posts. i did the 1 day M school and it was very nice. i am hoping to do the advanced at VIR too
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 02:36 PM   #5
aus
Major General
Rep

Drives: Odysse

Do you guys run with your local CCA chapter?
WAY less money and they have GREAT instructors.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 05:40 PM   #6
VictorH
Captain
Rep

Drives: '09 M3

I've done both and they are both a lot of fun. If you get a chance though, I highly recommend the advanced M-School at VIR. It's a blast and the instructors are great. It is a lead-follow type of arrangement and if you're doing well the instructor will push you are far as you're comfortable.

We were in the rain for much of the weekend, and I always thought that I'd hate rain (I would always turn around and go home if the autocross or time trial was in the rain) but it was great fun and if you were faster than your classmates in the group but you were behind the instructor, well, Bye-Bye.

Club events are much, much less expensive by at least a third or more depending on how you prep your car and where you stay. However, some of the guys at the advanced M-class had done it 3-4 times because they figured it was worth saving the wear and tear on their cars ( I thought our cars were designed for this so I don't endorse that idea).
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 07:30 PM   #7
aus
Major General
Rep

Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorH View Post
I've done both and they are both a lot of fun. If you get a chance though, I highly recommend the advanced M-School at VIR. It's a blast and the instructors are great. It is a lead-follow type of arrangement and if you're doing well the instructor will push you are far as you're comfortable.

We were in the rain for much of the weekend, and I always thought that I'd hate rain (I would always turn around and go home if the autocross or time trial was in the rain) but it was great fun and if you were faster than your classmates in the group but you were behind the instructor, well, Bye-Bye.

Club events are much, much less expensive by at least a third or more depending on how you prep your car and where you stay. However, some of the guys at the advanced M-class had done it 3-4 times because they figured it was worth saving the wear and tear on their cars ( I thought our cars were designed for this so I don't endorse that idea).

Good info from someone who's done both.
And I agree that our cars are designed for this... except the damn power steering pump!! Buying new tires and pads would still be cheaper than the driving school since you should be able to use them for a couple events or more.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 10:03 AM   #8
von_zoom
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2010 Z06

You cannot compare HPDE club events with the PC M school. The instruction at the Performance Center is much more structured, and each exercise is designed to lead into the next discipline in driving. Additionally, you drive all the M cars, and each one of these requires a different approach to driving skills. From my experience in the two day course, a lot more time is spent on skid pads, rat races, and fig. 8s all in wet conditions. These exercises are execellent tools to ingrain car control. Brakes and their use are highlighted, implemented, so when combined with high speed driving, a lot more meaningful. There are other proceedures which participants are exposed to. You simply do not get these at your normal HPDE session. However, seat time at HPDEs is most important in reinforcing memory and coordination, and getting to know your car, and your abilities.

In short, both are good. I just do not think that you can compare one to the other in attempting to decide which is best. The worst time I ever had at the track was good.
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0