BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

03-24-2010, 05:41 PM   #1
solefald
Nigerian Prince

Drives: '11 F25

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
GOP. Open till 2pm.

Let the grandstanding begin! If i were a Republican, I would be ashamed for my party affiliation!

It boggles my mind that these supposedly grown-ass men, act like spoiled toddlers.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_511639.html

Quote:
GOP Senators Refusing To Work Past 2PM, Invoking Obscure Rule

Senate Republicans fuming over the passage of health care reform are now refusing to work past 2 p.m. -- a tactic they can employ by invoking a little-known Senate rule.

On Wednesday, the Judiciary Committee was forced to cancel a hearing as was the Senate Armed Services Committee.

Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.) tweeted today : "Disappointed. Rs refusing to allow hearings today. Had to cancel my oversight hearing on police training contracts in Afghanistan."

Sen. Mark Udall also complained that he had to delay a hearing on the cause of Western forest fires.

Making good on Sen. John McCain's threat to withhold all Republican cooperation from Democrats in the Senate in retribution for the majority party using reconciliation to pass health care reform, the GOP used the rule that states committees can only meet when the chamber is in session with the unanimous consent of all members. That consent has almost never been withheld -- until now.

Armed Services Chairman Carl Levin (D-Mich.) asked for consent for his panel to operate Wednesday afternoon. He noted, ironically, that his request had the support of McCain.

"There is objection on our side of the aisle and therefore I object," said Sen. Richard Burr (R-N.C.).

The GOP objection blocked testimony from Admiral Robert Willard, United States Navy Commander of the U.S. Pacific Command; from General Kevin Chilton, United States Air Force, Commander of the U.S. Strategic Command, and from General Walter Sharp, United States Army Commander, U.S. Forces Korea.

For his part, Judiciary Chairman Pat Leahy (D-Vt.) was livid when his committee was forced to delay consideration of several judicial nominees.

"I have accommodated requests from Judiciary Committee Republicans to delay the Committee's hearing to consider Professor Liu's nomination," Leahy said.

He continued: "For months, Senate Republicans have resisted efforts to enact important reforms to our health insurance system. But when the dust settles and the emotions are calmed, history will show that President Obama and this Congress responded to a pressing national issue, and proved once again that we can act with the purpose of advancing an important national interest. Sadly, actions like today's objections from Senate Republicans to the consideration of a highly qualified, historic nominee will be viewed as little more than petty, partisan politics."

Jim Manley, a spokesperson for Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.), objected to the objection. "For a second straight day, Republicans are using tricks to shut down several key Senate committees. So let me get this straight: in retaliation for our efforts to have an up-or-down vote to improve health care reform, Republicans are blocking an Armed Services committee hearing to discuss critical national security issues among other committee meetings? These political games and obstruction have to stop -- the American people expect and deserve better."

Without unanimous consent, committees are allowed to meet for two hours following the opening of the Senate session -- which on Wednesday was 9:00 a.m. The committees need consent to continue and consent again to continue after 2:00 p.m. Sen. Daniel Akaka (D-Hawaii), Chairman of the Veterans' Affairs Committee, had his hearing shut down abruptly at 11:00 Wednesday morning, in the middle of a discussion on the effort to end veteran homelessness in the next five years. It is estimated that more than 100,000 veterans are homeless in the United States on any given night.

"The Senate should be a place for debate, but I cannot imagine how shutting down a hearing on helping homeless veterans has any part of the debate on the health insurance reform," said Akaka. "I am deeply disappointed that my colleagues chose to hinder our common work to help end veteran homelessness."

Committee meetings were also canceled on Tuesday, but as the result of a behind-the-scenes threat, rather than an on-the-floor objection. One meeting that was shut down even dealt with transparency in government. The Executive Director of the Sunlight Foundation, Ellen Miller was cut off during the hearing.
      03-24-2010, 05:52 PM   #2
bolinp78
G35 convertee

Drives: 2008 335i (AW)

Although if it were the Dems doing this, I would probably be thinking how you are, this is what happens when you pass a shoddy bill as quickly as possible that over half of the country opposes. Opponents are NOT going to down without a fight. And considering the partisan and controversial nature of this bill, I don't blame them. NO, I don't think that it is a case of "sore loser", although some of the things taking place are indeed childish in nature.

You see, to us, not only is this bill fundamentally "unfair", this bill has the potential to do great harm to this country in the long term. But you know that already.

There is nothing that you could say to convince me otherwise, and vice versa. It's going to be a wait and see affair.

Last edited by bolinp78; 03-24-2010 at 05:57 PM.
      03-24-2010, 05:58 PM   #3
VP Electricity
Brigadier General

Drives: E91 XDrive

Under half the country opposes it for being too liberal. 20% of those opposing it wanted it to be MORE liberal - they wanted single-payer public option and the rest of it.

A minority polled oppose this bill for going too far.

Many Americans want Congress paying attention to jobs over health care. Who's not paying attention to jobs now?

You know, for 8 years we went along with incompetence because incompetence was in office, wearing a GOP hat, and now, because the GOP lost DUE to letting the incompetent run rampant, THIS is their response?

I guess if they had barely lost Florida in 2000, they would have started the Second Civil War?
________
volcano vaporizer
________
DC MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARIES
________
EFFECTS OF AVANDIA

Last edited by VP Electricity; 08-22-2011 at 11:30 PM.
VP Electricity is offline   United_States
      03-24-2010, 06:02 PM   #4
solefald
Nigerian Prince

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
I have no political party affiliation whatsoever, so I would also be ripping on Dems if they did something like this

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolinp78 View Post
shoddy bill as quickly as possible that over half of the country opposes
Source of the "over half of the country opposes" please.

Quote:
You see, to us, this bill has the potential to do great harm to this country in the long term. But you know that already.
Agree. This bill has the potential. Potential to do great harm, but it also has a potential to do a lot of good.

What I don't understand is grandstanding, whining, name calling and these obstruction techniques. How come GOP can not sit down with Dems and *coherently* come up with some kind of solution? From what I saw Dems were open to it, yet not a single Republican worked with them. Why?
      03-24-2010, 06:13 PM   #5
bolinp78
G35 convertee

Drives: 2008 335i (AW)

Although my statement that over half of the country opposes the health bill was more of a representation or side note than an actual point (because I don't generally follow polls), here is one that I quickly Googled.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/publ...th_care_reform
      03-24-2010, 06:16 PM   #6
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General

Drives: Lola

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to ArmyBimmerDude Send a message via Yahoo to ArmyBimmerDude
It's actually quite funny. Does the Republican party think this makes them look good? They're acting like petchulant children that didnt get what they wanted.
      03-24-2010, 06:26 PM   #7
solefald
Nigerian Prince

Garage List
'11 BMW F25  [0.00]
Quote:
Although my statement that over half of the country opposes the health bill was more of a representation or side note than an actual point (because I don't generally follow polls), here is one that I quickly Googled.

I guess we will see what happens in mid-term elections.

This bill is here to stay, and I think GOP will have a very hard time trying to kill it, but since GOP claims to be speaking for American people, will see what American people have to say in return.
      03-24-2010, 06:39 PM   #8
quagmire
I am Gundam

Drives: 2014 Cadillac ATS 3.6 AWD

Quote:

Gallup has people supporting it. Boy is it partisan though.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/126929/Sl...l-Passage.aspx
      03-24-2010, 06:43 PM   #9
shpirate87
Captain

Drives: 335ix

All the bribery, corruption, and legislative rule breaking used to pass this monstrosity and a work slow down is what upsets you?
      03-24-2010, 06:45 PM   #10
quagmire
I am Gundam

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpirate87 View Post
All the bribery, corruption, and legislative rule breaking used to pass this monstrosity and a work slow down is what upsets you?
And the Republicans aren't guilty of the same thing in the past?

Overall, all politicians in power right now are bribed and corrupted.
      03-24-2010, 07:00 PM   #11
Major

Drives: E90 325i; F10 528i; 2002tii

Quote:
Yea, it reminds me of the passage of Medicare Part D. Just not as bad. And of course it lacks the corporate welfare provisions.
      03-24-2010, 07:30 PM   #12
shpirate87
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
And the Republicans aren't guilty of the same thing in the past?

Overall, all politicians in power right now are bribed and corrupted.
Can you name a major piece of legislation passed by the Republicans without a single Democratic vote in your life time?
      03-24-2010, 07:40 PM   #13
shpirate87
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by 742 View Post
Yea, it reminds me of the passage of Medicare Part D. Just not as bad. And of course it lacks the corporate welfare provisions.
How exactly are they similar?
      03-24-2010, 07:59 PM   #14
quagmire
I am Gundam

Quote:
Can you name a major piece of legislation passed by the Republicans without a single Democratic vote in your life time?
My life time and when I was paying any attention to politics? No, but that doesn't mean the Republicans aren't a bunch of corrupt politicians with lobbyists from their interests lining their pockets. Both sides are corrupt. Which was my point in my original post.
      03-24-2010, 08:15 PM   #15
shpirate87
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
My life time and when I was paying any attention to politics? No, but that doesn't mean the Republicans aren't a bunch of corrupt politicians with lobbyists from their interests lining their pockets. Both sides are corrupt. Which was my point in my original post.
So they are NOT guilty of the same thing in the past.
      03-24-2010, 09:45 PM   #16
Major

Quote:
How exactly are they similar?
If you really don't know you desperately need to get some news from outside your current sources.
      03-24-2010, 09:51 PM   #17
cycler
Major General

Drives: 2011 Streetglide and 2011 Dyna

Majority of NY and NJ congressman didnt even read the entire 2400 page bill. That moron Rangel read only certain parts that he felt were interesting
      03-24-2010, 10:01 PM   #18
shpirate87
Captain

Quote:
If you really don't know you desperately need to get some news from outside your current sources.
Oh please enlighten me.
      03-25-2010, 02:36 AM   #19
Major

Quote:
Oh please enlighten me.
You can start here. Forbes is of course known as a publication full of left wing rants... like that Bartlett guy.

The lies about the cost were bad enough, but keeping voting open while they beat on members of their own party was a really impressive abuse of power.

And in the end we got a bill that required the government to pay whatever the pharmaceutical industry wanted to charge -- none of that messy negotiating or free market garbage. You wouldn't want something like that to come between tax money, corporations and Republican fund raising.

But of course you have heard all about this history from Fox News.
      03-25-2010, 09:31 AM   #20
shpirate87
Captain

Quote:
You can start here. Forbes is of course known as a publication full of left wing rants... like that Bartlett guy.

The lies about the cost were bad enough, but keeping voting open while they beat on members of their own party was a really impressive abuse of power.

And in the end we got a bill that required the government to pay whatever the pharmaceutical industry wanted to charge -- none of that messy negotiating or free market garbage. You wouldn't want something like that to come between tax money, corporations and Republican fund raising.

But of course you have heard all about this history from Fox News.
I will never try to defend the policy of the prescription drug benefit but for you to compare the level of legislative maneuverings then to what just happened is like comparing a bruised knee to a heart attack. Try, just try for some perspective here.
      03-25-2010, 10:20 AM   #21
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: '14 EBII M235i & '06 R53 GP

Garage List
2008 E82  [0.00]
I have always felt as though the GOP as the party of "NO". This is the perfect example of that. Way to play partisan politics there you jerks. Don't bring any substance to the discussion just yell "NO" and hope you get your way.

And please shpirate, defend them. Please explain to us how the senate republicans are in the right. And don't use some tired excuse of "bu bu bu , the democrats did womething bad one time too". No, not enough.

This is the kind of SHIT that is wrong with our gov't.

Oh, and by the, in case the Grand Ol' Party has forgotten one simple FUCKING FACT!!! Obama won back in november of '08 and is our President, and there is a majority of democrats in both the House and the Senate. This is possibly because the american people VOTED FOR IT!!! I think votes trump any opinion poll. The majority feels there is a way to take this country. The opposition doesn't agree. But guess what, you are the MINORITY, you don't get to call the shots anymore.

Last edited by xbook; 03-25-2010 at 10:32 AM.
xbook is offline   Zimbabwe
      03-25-2010, 10:24 AM   #22
TMNT
Captain

Drives: 330ci ZHP

The Republican way:

Let companies do as they wish, letting them prosper and fail at their own will. Yet their effects on citizens are of no real importance to us since the citizens will rise and fall with them, as it should be. We should offer no safety nets when bad things occur because the people should insure that they are self reliant when these times arrise. The government must not involve itself and just let things happen. God is in control.

The Democratic way:

Let companies do as they wish to an extent ensuring their actions won't negatively effect the citizens should they fail or prosper. By putting rules and regulations in place, we can limit extreme financial events from greatly effecting the people by ensuring companies are never so ingrained into our economy that we fall with them. If this does happen, the government will assist until the economy gets back on its feet, regardless of whether we have the money or not. Why? because it takes money to make money.