BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

PYSPEED

11-30-2009, 02:50 PM   #45
novablackm3
Captain

Drives: e92 m3 , e70 x5m

Send a message via AIM to novablackm3
i just got mine in.

1st impression. the product is light. VERY light and noticeably larger and more volume than the stock piece.

but what is the Electrical tape roll + password:JDM sticker for? i'm sure its pretty straight forward but where are the install instructions?

joe
      11-30-2009, 11:01 PM   #46
novablackm3
Captain

nevermind RTFM !

DIY here:
http://www.pyspeed.com/category-s/588.htm

This is one big fat pipe! and i can see why/how it has more volume.

Here are some pics i took and the rest are here:
http://public.fotki.com/joekim1113/c...-envychareger/

Planning on installing this weekend as i JUST put in my AA v1.5 ECU after all my mods. Im going to let the ecu learn for a few hundred miles and then throw on the charger probably sunday or early next week
      11-30-2009, 11:07 PM   #47
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General

Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

Ya that this is massive compared stock.

Past: Gintani stage3 M3
present: Porsche 993RWB, 964RS America,996 cupcar, 964 turbo 3.6, 991C4S, i3 in September
Eugene-TAIWAN is offline   Taiwan
      12-01-2009, 10:33 AM   #48
major_kusanagi
SWARM & COIN

Drives: 09 AW/FR/CF E92 M3

got mine installed yesterday (kudos to Eric @ PYspeed for the speedy shipping) and drove to work this morning. Took me about 20 minutes to get everything in place. Excellent build quality. I completely agree with the OP's assessment. The engine rips loose much more effortlessly than before. The car literally feels lighter at low RPMs. I was constantly checking whether the power button was pushed. IMO, this is a great mod with a surprisingly strong "WOW" factor. I do not know how much engineering went into the charge pipe, but it makes driving my M3 much more enjoyable and responsive. I am very happy with it. I know it's all subjective, but so is automotive happiness.
major_kusanagi is offline   United_States
      12-01-2009, 07:30 PM   #49
Eliminator
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 M3 SSII 6M, '87 911

Is anybody going to make one out of PLASTIC! does it have to be C.F. or Kevlar???
      12-01-2009, 07:54 PM   #50
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General

Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliminator View Post
Is anybody going to make one out of PLASTIC! does it have to be C.F. or Kevlar???

So far those are you choices.

Past: Gintani stage3 M3
present: Porsche 993RWB, 964RS America,996 cupcar, 964 turbo 3.6, 991C4S, i3 in September
Eugene-TAIWAN is offline   Taiwan
      12-01-2009, 09:02 PM   #51
GT3 Tim

Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by major_kusanagi View Post
got mine installed yesterday (kudos to Eric @ PYspeed for the speedy shipping) and drove to work this morning. Took me about 20 minutes to get everything in place. Excellent build quality. I completely agree with the OP's assessment. The engine rips loose much more effortlessly than before. The car literally feels lighter at low RPMs. I was constantly checking whether the power button was pushed. IMO, this is a great mod with a surprisingly strong "WOW" factor. I do not know how much engineering went into the charge pipe, but it makes driving my M3 much more enjoyable and responsive. I am very happy with it. I know it's all subjective, but so is automotive happiness.
Glad you had the same results.

I had a good time on the "canyon run" last weekend and the car felt great. I did get a "reduced power" message, but I am pretty sure I bunged up the "tape job" on the intake....when I get back in town, I will fix it. I am sure that is what it is. i rushed the install and after the run (and error message), I noticed it was loose. Guess I should take a bit more time...lol
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
GT3 Tim is offline   United_States
      12-01-2009, 09:44 PM   #52
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 08 M3

i wish we could see more dynos of this piece. so far the only 2 we have seen one lost power and the other one while an increase the car itself is weird in my op as it ran 313 with a muffler and catless midpipe. bone stock cars are running more then 313whp

would be nice to see a stock car run then with the envy added no other mods just the envy

looks sweet thanks for the pics
      12-01-2009, 11:14 PM   #53
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel

that is awesome thank you. since you have your very last dyno we will get to see what just the envy system adds to a car. i am assuming you are gonna use the same dyno and procedure as before??

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek View Post
I'll be dynoing it on the stroker in a couple of weeks.
      12-01-2009, 11:18 PM   #54
niqui
Brigadier General

Drives: Jet Black E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek View Post
I'll be dynoing it on the stroker in a couple of weeks.
could u please do it, without a highflow filter first and then with it, to see its gains on its own...
thanks
i know its more of an eye candy mod, but still nice numbers.
      12-01-2009, 11:51 PM   #55
powertrip
Scared money don't make money.

Drives: 2009 E92 M3 DCT

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Dude, 313whp is normal for that dyno...period. M3's will not put down 340whp (stock) on every dyno. Technocraft's test car was exactly in line with what other M3's run on Gintani's dyno. For reference my car made 331whp with a pulley/secondary cat delete/AA flash on Gintani's dyno, but miraculously made 353whp on another dyno. Different dynos....different numbers .

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post
i wish we could see more dynos of this piece. so far the only 2 we have seen one lost power and the other one while an increase the car itself is weird in my op as it ran 313 with a muffler and catless midpipe. bone stock cars are running more then 313whp

would be nice to see a stock car run then with the envy added no other mods just the envy

looks sweet thanks for the pics

Last edited by powertrip; 12-02-2009 at 01:20 AM.
      12-02-2009, 12:35 AM   #56
xxe92xx
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrip View Post
Dude, 313whp is normal for that dyno...period. M3's will not put down 340whp (stock) on every dyno. Technocraft's test cas was exactly in line with what other M3's run on Gintani's dyno. For reference my car made 331whp with a pulley/secondary cat delete/AA flash on Gintani's dyno, but miraculously made 353whp on another dyno. Different dynos....different numbers .
+1
      12-02-2009, 01:06 AM   #57
TOOMANYCARS
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Is this piece bigger or the Dinan's?
      12-02-2009, 01:10 AM   #58
albert1028
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 E90 Space Gray M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOMANYCARS View Post
Is this piece bigger or the Dinan's?
This piece.
albert1028 is offline   Taiwan
      12-02-2009, 09:45 AM   #59
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel

yes for a stock car not for a car without cats and a muffler. sorry maybe you mis read. the baseline car was not bone stock it had a catless midpipe and muffler on it. cars that are bone stock on that same dyno run in the 313 range. i just think it was weird that with catless midpipe and muffler to only get 313 which those 2 pieces should yeild the most especially for bolt ons, then with the envy it got very impressive numbers gained, a piece that generally wouldn't add that much. not saying anything fishy was done just that the car stock number with the catless midpipe and muffler were off. that is why i asked if it needed a tune etc. just wanted to see more dynos or ones that had baselines already like PG etc. people are so quick to jump down somebody when they talk about a dyno

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrip View Post
Dude, 313whp is normal for that dyno...period. M3's will not put down 340whp (stock) on every dyno. Technocraft's test car was exactly in line with what other M3's run on Gintani's dyno. For reference my car made 331whp with a pulley/secondary cat delete/AA flash on Gintani's dyno, but miraculously made 353whp on another dyno. Different dynos....different numbers .
      12-02-2009, 05:00 PM   #60
niqui
Brigadier General

Drives: Jet Black E92 M3

did anyone install the full system on a stock exhaust car...did it change the sound...??
i am asking cause those of u with xpipes probs wouldnt be able to tell if the intake had any difference?
another quick question: arent dynos regarding this intake missing a bit?
in the sense that a lot of companies claim that the scoops element on their own add 10-15 hp at 70mph...i dont know if this is true or not...but when performing a dyno, there is no increased airflow like the car is moving, or is there a way to do this?
like dyno the car with a physical flow of air like it were actually going 65mph or smthg.
forgive my ignorance...just thinking
      12-02-2009, 07:50 PM   #61
novablackm3
Captain

additional photo's here:

http://public.fotki.com/joekim1113/c...&w=1680&h=1050

So originally i was going to wait and install it over the weekend and weight it vs the stock piece but i just couldn't resist.

Here are some photos,

I also don't have a real tape measure so here goes some comparison shots

Also install was a bitch to get the charger + filter in, first put the charger in and tried to wedge in the filter but that simply didn't work, may be if a 2nd person was holding down the little knob that pushes the filter in may be. My final resolution was to put the charger + the stock bracket + the filter in 1 piece and just snap the entire thing down and it finally got in.

going for a drive after i eat dinner!
      12-02-2009, 08:24 PM   #62
major_kusanagi
SWARM & COIN

nice pics. you will love the charge pipe and how it sharpens throttle response.
      12-02-2009, 08:30 PM   #63
Jaypod
Brigadier General

Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by novablackm3 View Post

Also install was a bitch to get the charger + filter in, first put the charger in and tried to wedge in the filter but that simply didn't work, may be if a 2nd person was holding down the little knob that pushes the filter in may be. My final resolution was to put the charger + the stock bracket + the filter in 1 piece and just snap the entire thing down and it finally got in.

going for a drive after i eat dinner!
Nice comparison pics! Your final resolution was the way i did it to begin with and it took no time.

Enjoy the drive - you will love it!
Jaypod is offline   No_Country
      12-02-2009, 08:31 PM   #64
major_kusanagi
SWARM & COIN

Keep us posted. I've driven 250 miles with the charge pipe and no issues. just sharper throttle response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3 Tim View Post
Glad you had the same results.

I had a good time on the "canyon run" last weekend and the car felt great. I did get a "reduced power" message, but I am pretty sure I bunged up the "tape job" on the intake....when I get back in town, I will fix it. I am sure that is what it is. i rushed the install and after the run (and error message), I noticed it was loose. Guess I should take a bit more time...lol
      12-02-2009, 09:29 PM   #65
novablackm3
Captain

err its friggen pouring here and i couldn't even do 50% throttle w/out breaking traction.

The engine noise went up a bit which is a good thing, it increased by prob 5~10% after a high flow filter and it went up just a bit more with the charger.

Also normal throttle felt like power and power felt like power + ( m mode) and M mode/power + just felt awesome. feels much like an increased throttle body mod.

The reviews about the sharper throttle response is dead on. As i couldn't really push to hard i couldn't measure power increase via my butt dyno but what i did notice is my usual bleep of the gas did rev the rpm's by a few hundred more rpm's which could indicate more air flow.

waiting for dry weather
      12-02-2009, 11:34 PM   #66
hogwild
Private First Class

Drives: 2011 m3 coupe

Another happy customer!

Just put on the envy charger pipe! Yes i noticed a difference first and second revved smoother and quicker and the whole car just ran smoother and happier! Im running eisenman exhaust, free flow filter and charger pipe! The three seem to compliment each other=better running M3