BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E46 M3 Coupe and Convertible > General E46 M3 Talk

GT Haus

11-19-2009, 11:47 AM   #1
MayorThis
Registered
Rep

Drives: 2006 STi

Can I drive an M3 in the winter?

I currently have an STi and I'm considering trading it in for an E46 M3. I live in Syracuse, NY which averages 120" of snow, so it would certainly see the white stuff. Obviously I would be getting snow tires, but would the M3 be ok as a DD? Does the traction control really help? Since I'm coming from an AWD car I'm nervous about going RWD in this climate, but I know some people do it. Oh yeah, and I live at the top of a big hill too.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 01:49 PM   #2
alpineweissM3
I love my beautiful wife!
Rep

Drives: e90 ///M

I think I'm going to watch "Groundhog Day" tonight.

I like Bill Murray.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 01:54 PM   #3
frenchM3dreamer
Captain
Rep

Drives: 08 Mitsu Eclipse Spyder GTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayorThis View Post
I currently have an STi and I'm considering trading it in for an E46 M3. I live in Syracuse, NY which averages 120" of snow, so it would certainly see the white stuff. Obviously I would be getting snow tires, but would the M3 be ok as a DD? Does the traction control really help? Since I'm coming from an AWD car I'm nervous about going RWD in this climate, but I know some people do it. Oh yeah, and I live at the top of a big hill too.
there are a few threads on that, i think the M3 is fine as a winter car as long as you get the right shoes for her... it depends how steep the big hill is and how often the snow plow comes by
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2009, 02:51 AM   #4
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep

Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

I moved from Germany this summer where I had a dedicated winter car (330xi). I also used a new X3 for a couple of months last winter. AWD is far better than RWD on snow/ice, but as stated the right tires are equally important. My 330xi had winter tires and the X3 had all-seasons. The 330xi was much better in the white stuff, undoubtedly due to the tires. There's no way I'd drive either of my current cars in the winter unless the roads were bone dry. For one, even with winter tires they wouldn't be good in snow, and two I wouldn't want them subjected to the abuse of winter conditions and other drivers. Get a 1st generation Audi A4 Quattro for cheap as a winter car.