BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
Strasse Wheels
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-09-2010, 12:17 PM   #177
CATCH_M3
Lieutenant
19
Rep
466
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 BMW M3
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (1)

Hey Perio,
Question.. I did this mod to my exhaust.. Thanks for the tips!
I was just wondering: how long do you think this 'exhaust tape' will last before the heat degrades it until the holes show through again?

thanks alot!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2010, 12:21 PM   #178
Periokid
Second Lieutenant
Periokid's Avatar
9
Rep
247
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 e93 M3 (gone and missed)
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: LI, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CATCH_M3 View Post
Hey Perio,
Question.. I did this mod to my exhaust.. Thanks for the tips!
I was just wondering: how long do you think this 'exhaust tape' will last before the heat degrades it until the holes show through again?

thanks alot!
I think the tape is quite durable. It should hold up well.

So how do you like the sound?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2010, 12:32 PM   #179
CATCH_M3
Lieutenant
19
Rep
466
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 BMW M3
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (1)

I love the sound.. It really doesnt change much at all when driving it gently around 3k or so. (no drone at all) Basically the same as stock (even idle it is only a little louder). The big difference is when I punch it that it screams more. Love the difference @ 8000 RPM. And even with windows closed it can still be 'quiet', but with windows open Wow. Problem is that it's -10C here and I drive around sometimes with the windows open just so i can listen .

I got what you did with the two big pipes, got it wrapped, and then left the steel wool on the 2 smaller sections. (did you leave them completely open?)

Also, if you have time to take it off again, after the cuts were welded up I got it grinded to smooth the welds down a bit.. After painting the can black, you cant really even tell it was ever cut open unless you look really closely.


Grinded


Painted on car.

Oh and big thanks to MONTREAL_RED for his exhaust for the project

Last edited by CATCH_M3; 02-09-2010 at 12:55 PM.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2010, 12:43 PM   #180
Periokid
Second Lieutenant
Periokid's Avatar
9
Rep
247
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 e93 M3 (gone and missed)
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: LI, NY

iTrader: (0)

I do the same thing...open the windows in the cold to hear it! Sweet sounds!

I left the steel wool covered areas completely open. I am not sure how much of a difference the steel wool makes.

Nice job smoothing the welds. Maybe when the weather gets nice I do that.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 10:25 AM   #181
Blade929
Lieutenant
United_States
11
Rep
435
Posts

 
Drives: E90 ///M
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (2)

Hey guys do you think a Dremmel will work or do I need more substantial cutting disc pneumatic or whatever? The steel looks fairly thick.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 10:10 PM   #182
SOCAL
Private First Class
6
Rep
182
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (3)

I tried a cutoff wheel at first but switched to a good old sawzall with one of those "Torch" metal blades from Home Depot. This setup made short work out of the cuts, waaaaaaay faster than cutoff wheel

You would be there for weeks with a dremel, I would recomment not doin that.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade929 View Post
Hey guys do you think a Dremmel will work or do I need more substantial cutting disc pneumatic or whatever? The steel looks fairly thick.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 10:39 PM   #183
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
United_States
136
Rep
7,644
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade929 View Post
Hey guys do you think a Dremmel will work or do I need more substantial cutting disc pneumatic or whatever? The steel looks fairly thick.
Dremel will NOT do it.
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 07:33 AM   #184
Blade929
Lieutenant
United_States
11
Rep
435
Posts

 
Drives: E90 ///M
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (2)

thx guys plan on doing this very soon! I'll post up results.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2010, 11:36 AM   #185
mtl88
Private First Class
United_States
2
Rep
104
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E90 M3 SSII
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Austin, Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade929 View Post
thx guys plan on doing this very soon! I'll post up results.
Iíve heard that the e90 has more sound insulation compared to the e92/e93. Since the loudness seems to be slight compared to stock on the e92 are you considering covering up just the holes as Periokid or were you planning on covering all the holes?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2010, 09:37 AM   #186
Blade929
Lieutenant
United_States
11
Rep
435
Posts

 
Drives: E90 ///M
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl88 View Post
Iíve heard that the e90 has more sound insulation compared to the e92/e93. Since the loudness seems to be slight compared to stock on the e92 are you considering covering up just the holes as Periokid or were you planning on covering all the holes?
I'm going to do all the holes. I purchased heat shield products exhaust tape to wrap the pipes, and I'm getting the exhaust jetcoated. The brand of exhaust tape I got for the interior is Permatex Muffler & Tailpipe Bandage from Advanced Autoparts.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2010, 09:58 AM   #187
mtl88
Private First Class
United_States
2
Rep
104
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E90 M3 SSII
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Austin, Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade929 View Post
I'm going to do all the holes. I purchased heat shield products exhaust tape to wrap the pipes, and I'm getting the exhaust jetcoated. The brand of exhaust tape I got for the interior is Permatex Muffler & Tailpipe Bandage from Advanced Autoparts.
Very cool! I look forward to hearing your impressions of your exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 01:39 PM   #188
Blade929
Lieutenant
United_States
11
Rep
435
Posts

 
Drives: E90 ///M
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (2)

guys picked up exhaust yesterday. Is there a reason not to make the cuts on top side of the exhuast so that the welds are hidden?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 01:48 PM   #189
Periokid
Second Lieutenant
Periokid's Avatar
9
Rep
247
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 e93 M3 (gone and missed)
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: LI, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade929 View Post
guys picked up exhaust yesterday. Is there a reason not to make the cuts on top side of the exhuast so that the welds are hidden?
I think it could be done but the shape of the bottom makes for much easier access to the inside. That is why I choose to go from the bottom.

If I did it again, I might try from the top but I am sure it would be more difficult.
__________________
2012 650xi M sport
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 08:59 AM   #190
Blade929
Lieutenant
United_States
11
Rep
435
Posts

 
Drives: E90 ///M
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (2)

thx Periokid I plan to cut the top this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 09:03 AM   #191
mtl88
Private First Class
United_States
2
Rep
104
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E90 M3 SSII
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Austin, Texas

iTrader: (0)

Good luck! I hope the mod goes smoothly.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 09:30 AM   #192
Periokid
Second Lieutenant
Periokid's Avatar
9
Rep
247
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 e93 M3 (gone and missed)
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: LI, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade929 View Post
thx Periokid I plan to cut the top this weekend.
Excellent, please update us!
__________________
2012 650xi M sport
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 09:18 AM   #193
mtl88
Private First Class
United_States
2
Rep
104
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E90 M3 SSII
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Austin, Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade929 View Post
thx Periokid I plan to cut the top this weekend.
Just checking in to see how the mod is going. Were you able to cut from the top?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 10:25 AM   #194
Blade929
Lieutenant
United_States
11
Rep
435
Posts

 
Drives: E90 ///M
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (2)

I got one side open however the difficulty was bending the flap open. The cutting went well with a combination of the dremmel to create the first cuts and then a sawzall. I should have more finished tonight.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 10:39 AM   #195
mtl88
Private First Class
United_States
2
Rep
104
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E90 M3 SSII
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Austin, Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade929 View Post
I got one side open however the difficulty was bending the flap open. The cutting went well with a combination of the dremmel to create the first cuts and then a sawzall. I should have more finished tonight.
Thanks for the update! Good luck with the other side.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 08:14 PM   #196
Sean05
Putcha ang ganda...
Sean05's Avatar
Philippines
89
Rep
5,331
Posts

 
Drives: 08 MR E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Los Angeles, Brea CA.

iTrader: (9)

Send a message via Yahoo to Sean05
got anymore update... i am doing this as well pretty soon and looking to cut the top instead of the bottom side.. let us know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade929 View Post
I got one side open however the difficulty was bending the flap open. The cutting went well with a combination of the dremmel to create the first cuts and then a sawzall. I should have more finished tonight.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 07:42 AM   #197
Blade929
Lieutenant
United_States
11
Rep
435
Posts

 
Drives: E90 ///M
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (2)

Sorry fellas didn't get time to work last night. Going to welder tomorrow so I need to finish up tonight. Got the top pried open using a crow bar. Removed all the filler. The filler completely filled a 12 pack coke can carton that i was using to stuff it into to throw it out. There was considerable carbon inside the filler and some carbon dust in the compartment itself. I would advise doing it in a well ventalated area next time or using a mask because I was blowing black crap out of my nose when I blew it.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 09:44 AM   #198
mtl88
Private First Class
United_States
2
Rep
104
Posts

 
Drives: 08 E90 M3 SSII
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Austin, Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade929 View Post
Sorry fellas didn't get time to work last night. Going to welder tomorrow so I need to finish up tonight. Got the top pried open using a crow bar. Removed all the filler. The filler completely filled a 12 pack coke can carton that i was using to stuff it into to throw it out. There was considerable carbon inside the filler and some carbon dust in the compartment itself. I would advise doing it in a well ventalated area next time or using a mask because I was blowing black crap out of my nose when I blew it.
Is the 84 sq inch bandage enough to wrap one pipe with the large section of perforations?

Will you be using the stainless steel tie wraps as Periokid used? Iím wondering if it would be better to use the Permatex Muffler Putty to keep it from unwrapping. This way there is no risk of a clamp breaking or becoming loose and rattling.

Any chance you took pics of the cut from the top.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:10 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST