BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

Lux Angel Eyes

11-07-2009, 10:29 AM   #1
fast_lap28
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: '07 335i Montego

Options for 2010 M3

First off I'm going to be a newbie on the M3 side since I previously owned a 335i which I lost in an accident. Now I'm looking to get the car I always dreamt of but have some decisions to make.

Since I'm looking to get in an M3 for the very first time. I want to know opinions on some of the packages. First here is a list of packages:

- Permium
- Technology
- Cold Weather

I will do w/o the cold weather but will get the heated seats seperately. And the premium package I really have no use for. My concern is with the Technology. Reason being that I only wanted the iDrive nav system, the EDC and MDrive I could also do w/o since I will probably switch the suspension at some point anyway.

But is the new iDrive nav and MDrive really worth getting the Tech package? I have never owned nav systems in any car. I do love to travel and all but does the cost justify the use/need to get it?

I would prefer a stripped down M3 but with some of the ammenities i.e. heated seats, decent sound system, etc. But to get premium sound the nav is required and thus the need for the Tech package.

Additional components and weight would deter the natural driver spirit in us but since the car is not a dedicated track car but a DD, then maybe I'm just making nothing out nothing....

Feedback????
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 01:57 PM   #2
Garissimo
Captain
Rep

Drives: 4 doors, 6 gears, 8 cylinders

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_lap28 View Post

[...]

Additional components and weight would deter the natural driver spirit in us but since the car is not a dedicated track car but a DD, then maybe I'm just making nothing out nothing....

Feedback????
Premium package includes the universal garage door remote, if I'm not mistaken. Even though you may not need it, whoever eventually buys your car probably will. I would consider that package absolutely essential, if you're concerned about resale value.
      11-07-2009, 03:05 PM   #3
ocgasman
Private
Rep

Drives: 2010 E90 M3

Tech - a must, no questions asked, new idrive is awesome and m mode + edc is a necessity IMHO
Premium - if you're gonna get leather anyway, then throw it in, esp as Garrissimo says about resale
Cold Weather - ehhh. I have it on my incoming E90 only cuz I wanted heated seats and rear fold down seats. Those two were basically the same price as the cold package, but in retrospect I wish I ordered them separately cuz now I don't want the useless headlight washers, but oh well too late

Other options are personal preference. I got my car loaded...well...cuz I didn't wanna look back and wish I got something. I have 3 ipods, so ipod adaptor was no brainer...then I wanted upgraded sound, liked the looks of 19" wheels, hate manual in socal traffic...well you see my point. All of the sudden my car has everything.

The only option I would ever dissuade anyone from getting is the smartphone integration. Totally retarded as you need to buy another cradle for your particular smartphone for $100+ and imo redundant if you have a iphone to plug into your ipod jack or bluetooth which comes with premium package. anyway, hth, and good luck on your purchase.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 06:00 PM   #4
MachineDriver
Family Man
United_States
Rep

Drives: '09 E92 M3

MDM is the killer app for the current generation of M cars. The new idrive owns every other infotainment system on the market. Saving your CDs to the car's HDD is the best. This is a really comfortable no-compromise-performance GT. You can't go wrong with luxury amenities. No bluetooth in a $70K car? Major oversight IMO. The Premium sound is not worth sacrificing other options. Premium pkg is the better choice for similar cost. A stripper M3 is a lost opportunity.
      11-07-2009, 07:17 PM   #5
duk
///M
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 AW/FR 6MT E92

prem and tech are MUSTS

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 08:51 PM   #6
novablackm3
Captain
Rep

Drives: e92 m3 , e70 x5m

Send a message via AIM to novablackm3
auto high-beams are also cool
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2009, 03:40 AM   #7
URBAN LEGEND
Champ
United_States
Rep

Drives: '13 M5, '13 ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineDriver View Post
No bluetooth in a $70K car? Major oversight .
Please explain what you are talking about. I am .
      11-08-2009, 10:39 AM   #8
fast_lap28
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: '07 335i Montego

I keep all my cars so this one is no different. I will not resell, so the Premium package to me is useless. I have no garage, no need for folding mirrors, etc.

In everyone's opinion, is the premium sound worth anything? I suppose it would be similar to my 335 Logic7?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2009, 07:44 PM   #9
URBAN LEGEND
Champ
United_States
Rep

Drives: '13 M5, '13 ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
Please explain what you are talking about. I am .
Still awaiting to be unconfused.
      11-09-2009, 05:57 PM   #10
gemurdock
BMWCCA Member
United_States
Rep

Drives: '11 AW ZCP ZTP E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineDriver View Post
.... This is a really comfortable no-compromise-performance GT. You can't go wrong with luxury amenities. No bluetooth in a $70K car? Major oversight IMO. The Premium sound is not worth sacrificing other options. Premium pkg is the better choice for similar cost. A stripper M3 is a lost opportunity.
+1 While you may track your M3 some, mostly it is a high-priced Grand Touring vehicle, and should be optioned accordingly. I have spent some time deciding what to put in my M3 to replace my E92 lease, and decided to include tech and premium at a bare minimum, bluetooth to let you use the speakerphone in the car is part of the premium package. And I am going to get the moonroof, it is just more pleasant than the 30 lbs. saved is ever going to be noticed by me. Also the cold weather package, spray the bugs off the headlights. But I will go elsewhere for the music upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 06:21 PM   #11
autospiel
BMW CCA Member
United_States
Rep

Drives: E46 M3, F10 diesel

Like Gemurdock, I'm replacing my leased E92 with an M3. Since I'm 6'6" and will be tracking it often, I specced mine without a moonroof, so that I'd have enough headroom. I opted for all 3 packages, 19" wheels, M-DCT, satellite radio and iPod adapter. My 335 also had iDrive and satellite radio; like heated seats, I wouldn't spec a car without those features. This'll be my first car (of >15) without a manual transmission.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2009, 06:31 PM   #12
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [3.50]
2007 335i  [4.50]
2008 528i  [4.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [4.00]
ZTP is a must
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 12:16 AM   #13
Finnegan
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Sapphire Black/Black Z4Mc

My 08 had Premium and no other options. I now have an 09 with Tech, heated seats, premium sound, satellite, etc.

Tech - a must. MDM mode is fantastic, the new Idrive is actually pretty good (a big improvement from the 08); 12GB HDD for music, M-button/settings; EDC (a huge win--if you don' get tech I'd get this); comfort access (wonderful).

Premium - This brings with it 4 years of BMW assist, stolen vehicle tracking, auto-dimming mirrors, bluetooth, universal remote, collision notification/help, roadside assistance, leather seats. I'd find it hard to live w/o the auto-dimming mirrors (which includes side mirrors) and other BMW assist features.

Premium sound is nice, but it's not 1,900 dollars worth of nice. You'd be better off going regular and beefing it up later if you find it lacking. There are plenty of resources here to help with that--better and cheaper too. If you're not into DIY and electronics, then it might be worth it...it's up to you.

All of this is subjective but since you asked....
Appreciate 0