BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-12-2010, 03:03 PM   #1
M3V8Driver
Captain
M3V8Driver's Avatar
United_States
48
Rep
725
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 - DCT
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

iTrader: (0)

Cleaned the air filter yesterday

After 11,000 miles, I felt the car just didn't have the same pickup it used to have when it was new. While looking things over under the hood, I decided to inspect the air filter. Turns out it was jam packed with leaves, bugs, and brake dust. Isn't the dealer supposed to check this during any of the scheduled maintenance? Anyway, shook it all out and blew it with some air and put it back. It made a noticeable difference in the throttle response and get-up-and-go Stupid bugs.
__________________
Mmmm... M&Ms,
Dale
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 03:20 PM   #2
fullrev
2011 E92 M3
fullrev's Avatar
United_States
25
Rep
432
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York

iTrader: (2)

They do when your intake silencer is due. (intake filter)
__________________
2011 E92 M3 6MT
Gone - 2007 E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 03:44 PM   #3
M3V8Driver
Captain
M3V8Driver's Avatar
United_States
48
Rep
725
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 - DCT
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullrev View Post
They do when your intake silencer is due. (intake filter)
Replacing is not the same as cleaning. It should be cleaned way before 11,000 miles. Not sure when replacement is scheduled, but I'm sure it should be cleaned several times well before then.
__________________
Mmmm... M&Ms,
Dale
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 03:49 PM   #4
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
tom @ eas's Avatar
United_States
2710
Rep
14,723
Posts


Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [5.00]
2015 BMW M4  [3.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3V8Driver View Post
After 11,000 miles, I felt the car just didn't have the same pickup it used to have when it was new. While looking things over under the hood, I decided to inspect the air filter. Turns out it was jam packed with leaves, bugs, and brake dust. Isn't the dealer supposed to check this during any of the scheduled maintenance? Anyway, shook it all out and blew it with some air and put it back. It made a noticeable difference in the throttle response and get-up-and-go Stupid bugs.
That's all that's needed with the MS filters, they even work better a little dirty
__________________
Tom G. | european auto source (eas)
email: tom@europeanautosource.com web: www.europeanautosource.com tel 866.669.0705 ca: 714.369.8524 x22

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG FACEBOOK YOUTUBE FLICKR INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 04:24 PM   #5
M3V8Driver
Captain
M3V8Driver's Avatar
United_States
48
Rep
725
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 - DCT
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

iTrader: (0)

What's an "MS filter"?
__________________
Mmmm... M&Ms,
Dale
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 04:48 PM   #6
808MGuy
Colonel
808MGuy's Avatar
133
Rep
2,339
Posts

Drives: 2009 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Oahu, Hawaii

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3V8Driver View Post
Replacing is not the same as cleaning. It should be cleaned way before 11,000 miles. Not sure when replacement is scheduled, but I'm sure it should be cleaned several times well before then.
The OEM filters aren't really considered serviceable. Its not something that they remove, clean and replace. There is a scheduled replacement and that's when they look at it. Otherwise, they won't touch it unless you tell them something is wrong with it.
__________________
2016 Porsche Cayman GTS - Sapphire Blue / Black Full Leather Interior / Carrera S Wheels
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 04:56 PM   #7
M3V8Driver
Captain
M3V8Driver's Avatar
United_States
48
Rep
725
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 - DCT
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

iTrader: (0)

Ok, then consider my OP something to consider trying if BMW won't do it until it's time to replace. That's rediculous. My filter was absolutely clogged, and I was missing out on performance. I'm surprised BMW wouldn't provide the service to keep up the performance of their customers' cars, after all, it only takes a few minutes.
__________________
Mmmm... M&Ms,
Dale
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 05:07 PM   #8
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
tom @ eas's Avatar
United_States
2710
Rep
14,723
Posts


Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [5.00]
2015 BMW M4  [3.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3V8Driver View Post
What's an "MS filter"?
MS = Macht Schnell.
__________________
Tom G. | european auto source (eas)
email: tom@europeanautosource.com web: www.europeanautosource.com tel 866.669.0705 ca: 714.369.8524 x22

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG FACEBOOK YOUTUBE FLICKR INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 05:41 PM   #9
808MGuy
Colonel
808MGuy's Avatar
133
Rep
2,339
Posts

Drives: 2009 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Oahu, Hawaii

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3V8Driver View Post
Ok, then consider my OP something to consider trying if BMW won't do it until it's time to replace. That's rediculous. My filter was absolutely clogged, and I was missing out on performance. I'm surprised BMW wouldn't provide the service to keep up the performance of their customers' cars, after all, it only takes a few minutes.
You are at 11k miles so you haven't even had a scheduled service yet. Isn't the scheduled service at 15k? The only service you should have had is the 1200 mile and I don't think they would even bother to check it at 1200 miles. I'm sure if you told them at your 15k to check it they would check it. They might not replace it unless its really bad or it had a hole in it though.

BTW, if you get an MS filter, you can clean it whenever you want. Problem solved!
__________________
2016 Porsche Cayman GTS - Sapphire Blue / Black Full Leather Interior / Carrera S Wheels
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 07:57 PM   #10
M3V8Driver
Captain
M3V8Driver's Avatar
United_States
48
Rep
725
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 - DCT
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
You are at 11k miles so you haven't even had a scheduled service yet. Isn't the scheduled service at 15k? The only service you should have had is the 1200 mile and I don't think they would even bother to check it at 1200 miles.
I consider the 1200 mile visit a scheduled service. Plus, it was in several other times for various things (500 mile oil change, DCT reprogramming, tires and brake pads at 6700 miles, and broken trim piece). So that's five visits total. All I'm saying is, it's such a simple thing for them to check that I'm surpriosed they don't do it as a courtesy. Plus, it's made enough of a difference that I could feel it.
__________________
Mmmm... M&Ms,
Dale
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 08:50 PM   #11
BobsM3Coupe
Major
United_States
106
Rep
1,114
Posts

Drives: 2018 X3 M40i
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: California

iTrader: (4)

I don't know why but when I had the 1200 mile service done, my dealer installed a new engine air filter. The original one couldn't have been dirty.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 03:38 AM   #12
808MGuy
Colonel
808MGuy's Avatar
133
Rep
2,339
Posts

Drives: 2009 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Oahu, Hawaii

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3V8Driver View Post
I consider the 1200 mile visit a scheduled service. Plus, it was in several other times for various things (500 mile oil change, DCT reprogramming, tires and brake pads at 6700 miles, and broken trim piece). So that's five visits total. All I'm saying is, it's such a simple thing for them to check that I'm surpriosed they don't do it as a courtesy. Plus, it's made enough of a difference that I could feel it.
I think what you have to understand is what may seem like a simple thing that takes 2 minutes to you is a big deal to a dealer. If it not something that they would regularly do and you don't specifically ask them to do it, they are not going to go out of their way to do it. Let's say they did take the extra 2 minutes to do it. Now if they take the extra 2 minutes to do it for you, they have to do it for the other 25-30 cars in for service that day with you. So now your 2 minutes has just turned into an hour of extra work for the dealership. They are not going to make money doing that.

Bottom line, if you want them to do something, just ask for it. Most techs are more than willing if you just ask politely. Don't take it for granted that it will be done because that's what you would do because as much as they would like to help you, they are busy people too and in the end, they wanna go home on time to see their families just like you and me.
__________________
2016 Porsche Cayman GTS - Sapphire Blue / Black Full Leather Interior / Carrera S Wheels
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 06:18 PM   #13
fullrev
2011 E92 M3
fullrev's Avatar
United_States
25
Rep
432
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
I think what you have to understand is what may seem like a simple thing that takes 2 minutes to you is a big deal to a dealer. If it not something that they would regularly do and you don't specifically ask them to do it, they are not going to go out of their way to do it. Let's say they did take the extra 2 minutes to do it. Now if they take the extra 2 minutes to do it for you, they have to do it for the other 25-30 cars in for service that day with you. So now your 2 minutes has just turned into an hour of extra work for the dealership. They are not going to make money doing that.

Bottom line, if you want them to do something, just ask for it. Most techs are more than willing if you just ask politely. Don't take it for granted that it will be done because that's what you would do because as much as they would like to help you, they are busy people too and in the end, they wanna go home on time to see their families just like you and me.
__________________
2011 E92 M3 6MT
Gone - 2007 E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 10:15 PM   #14
ersin
Brigadier General
ersin's Avatar
United_States
106
Rep
4,146
Posts

Drives: 08 IB E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (1)

We have a big ole air scoop below and ahead of the front left wheel. All sorts of things get sucked in there. I clean mine out (just take it out and shake it, no air blowing) when cleaning up the engine compartment on average about every month or little more often. It seems there's always leaves, plastic and what not. So far, nothing very interesting like dead cats.

It only takes a couple minutes so it's no problem, and yes, you can feel a, albeit slight, difference when it's clean. Unless you have a totally have a "hands off" attitude about working on your car, I recommend this. A little work putting the cover back on, but still very easy. I'm thinking about getting an oiled filter since I'll be coming to the end of free maintenance soon.


Cheers.
__________________

I've been assimilated. 6MT/ZPP/18"/PS extended.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 06:15 PM   #15
M3V8Driver
Captain
M3V8Driver's Avatar
United_States
48
Rep
725
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 - DCT
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

iTrader: (0)

Oh for Pete's sake.
__________________
Mmmm... M&Ms,
Dale
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 08:55 PM   #16
PhYrE
New Member
Canada
6
Rep
20
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

BMW performs same at every oil change per the maintenance guide they did mine at the 1200/2000km change too

It's a filter it depends on environment dusty environments being more frequent than non.
__________________
E92 2008 M3 Coupe
Eibach Pro-Kit Springs
Active Autowerke short-shifter
Carbon-Fibre everything
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 01:27 PM   #17
elp_jc
Brigadier General
United_States
128
Rep
4,910
Posts

Drives: .
Join Date: May 2008
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

BMW doesn't touch the air filter until 30K miles. And that's exactly what my '08 service booklet calls for. And yes, with a straight big opening in the bumper, it's nuts to wait that long IMO, especially if you live in the dusty desert.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 12:14 AM   #18
icin235
New Member
icin235's Avatar
United_States
27
Rep
29
Posts

Drives: 2009 M3 Coupe Space Gray
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Santa Monica, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersin View Post
We have a big ole air scoop below and ahead of the front left wheel. All sorts of things get sucked in there... and yes, you can feel a, albeit slight, difference when it's clean.
Cheers.
I'm glad someone else has noticed this too.

I'm running a stock intake and filter set up. Every time my car starts to feel a little sluggish, I take out the air filter and tap the dirt out of it, and every time my throttle response is noticeably improved.

Even as little as 3000 miles seems to get the filter a little clogged. I then replace the filter every 10k miles.

If you've never tried tapping the dirt out of your air filter, do it.

Old thread, I know.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 02:05 AM   #19
roastbeef
Major General
roastbeef's Avatar
United_States
3269
Rep
7,290
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (1)

if you're going to go through the trouble of opening the box and removing a filter to knock the bugs out of it, just replace it.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 12:19 PM   #20
icin235
New Member
icin235's Avatar
United_States
27
Rep
29
Posts

Drives: 2009 M3 Coupe Space Gray
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Santa Monica, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
if you're going to go through the trouble of opening the box and removing a filter to knock the bugs out of it, just replace it.
Honestly, that would mean a 50 dollar air filter at least every 3000 miles. It only takes 5-10 minutes to remove/reinstall the filter.

I'm looking into aftermarket filters but am very skeptical of their filtration capabilities.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 12:52 PM   #21
roastbeef
Major General
roastbeef's Avatar
United_States
3269
Rep
7,290
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (1)

Maybe use a pre-filter on your paper filter. Might be an ok solution.
__________________
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:24 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST