BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BPM

10-29-2009, 12:48 AM   #1
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Relatively Quick.

RDsport Initial Review

Edited with corrected information. My RDsports springs install!

Brilliant.

Pile of goodies. Non-springs items reviewed in corresponding thread.

Springs. Beautiful.

Install.

RennSpec's extremely professional work environment. Nothing but serious car business here.

Stock finger gap front.

Stock finger gap rear.

RDsport Springs finger gap front.

RDsports Srpings finger gap rear.

Credit goes to Toan for another perfectly executed installation.

As for handling, I only had the opportunity to take it on freeway off ramps, and other silly local road twists, but the car now handles like it's being really pulled to Earth. It's cornering is so level, and the handling is so clean and crisp, and yet I personally feel that the ride quality is better than the H&R Sport's that I had before, even though the RDsports sport a more aggressive drop. (Front 1.25 in. versus Front 1.0 in.)

So in the end, I'm very pleased with the switch from the H&R Sport springs. In my humble, personal opinion, more comfortable ride, more predictable handling, better looking stance....count me satisfied.

+1 for RennSpec once again.

Please note that I have not put many miles on the car, so all the impressions that I post are initial. I'll post up additional thoughts after the springs break in more, and I get alignment. Thanks for reading, and I hope this helps out anyone who was curious about the RDsport springs.

Edit: More photographs!

Last edited by LateBraking; 10-29-2009 at 09:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 03:56 AM   #2
tooshay
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20+M3 badge

looks like you got money to burn there brian. modding your car one thing after another pretty fast and furious there. nice quick review there.
      10-29-2009, 05:23 AM   #3
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooshay View Post
looks like you got money to burn there brian. modding your car one thing after another pretty fast and furious there. nice quick review there.
Nothing too wild, just two mods. Not like I got Akrapolvic like a handful of people that I know, I only wish I was that baller, lol.

Remus I had planned for a while anyways, been talking to Jason about it for a bit.

....tooshay, you're still alive? Haven't seen you in a very long time.

Last edited by LateBraking; 10-29-2009 at 06:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 08:47 AM   #4
KiokenM3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: LIFTED JEEP JK!

pics of the car
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 11:15 AM   #5
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

Love it, Brian! This is a nice piece of information for those who want a more aggressive drop without killing ride quality with the H&Rs. I've got the Eibachs waiting in my garage at home for my new wheels to come in.

Oh, and that Remus is pretty sweet too! You're definitely not wasting any time.
      10-29-2009, 02:50 PM   #6
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLud View Post
Love it, Brian! This is a nice piece of information for those who want a more aggressive drop without killing ride quality with the H&Rs. I've got the Eibachs waiting in my garage at home for my new wheels to come in.

Oh, and that Remus is pretty sweet too! You're definitely not wasting any time.
Thanks Tom! Yeah, I was originally considering the Eibachs due to their conservative nature as a drop and as a ride, but these RDsport springs worked out much better than I could have ever hoped. I'm sure the Eibachs will still be more comfortable daily, but the stance and handling is so nice right now, I can handle a little extra roughness. At any rate, it's still better than then H&R's, so can't get much better than that.

I have to say that I'm extremely satisfied with how my car is at this point. Just have to do alignment and then it'll be perfect, methinks.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 03:45 PM   #7
OckEME3
First Lieutenant
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 24' G80 6MT Daytona Beach Blue

Congrats your car looks amazing, I have the same color lol I also bought the RDSport Springs from Rennspec, I took advantage of the promo they were running. I am too satisfied with their costumer support and I can't say any thing but good things about Rennspec, thanks Jason!

As the OP mentioned, I love the ride quality with the springs the car feels like it handles better and at the same time looking better. I was afraid that the drop would be too aggressive but now I'm happy with my decision. Just like
iBeJayKaying I also installed the Remus race this weekend and loving it.

Sorry about thread jacking but I had to give props to Rennspec.
      10-29-2009, 05:55 PM   #8
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OckEME3 View Post
Congrats your car looks amazing, I have the same color lol I also bought the RDSport Springs from Rennspec, I took advantage of the promo they were running. I am too satisfied with their costumer support and I can't say any thing but good things about Rennspec, thanks Jason!

As the OP mentioned, I love the ride quality with the springs the car feels like it handles better and at the same time looking better. I was afraid that the drop would be too aggressive but now I'm happy with my decision. Just like
iBeJayKaying I also installed the Remus race this weekend and loving it.

Sorry about thread jacking but I had to give props to Rennspec.

I found my twin, hot damn! It's photoshoot time, OckEME3.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 06:20 PM   #9
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

More photos added!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 06:35 PM   #10
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBeJayKaying View Post
More photos added!
Probably my favorite SSII M3 I've seen. Your car makes that color look good.
      10-29-2009, 06:52 PM   #11
rsmamg
Flying First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M

lookin real nice, brian. it rides and sounds like a dream!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 07:17 PM   #12
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmamg View Post
lookin real nice, brian. it rides and sounds like a dream!
I know you're getting yours soon Tom....hit me up when you do.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 07:29 PM   #13
OckEME3
First Lieutenant
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 24' G80 6MT Daytona Beach Blue

Your car is a little sexier than mine with the wheels other that that they look like they were cloned lol. I'm down for a Photyoshoot, I'm do not have any photography skills but I'd be down to meet up some time.
Quote:
I found my twin, hot damn! It's photoshoot time, OckEME3.
      10-29-2009, 07:53 PM   #14
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Hmm...

A few observations...

*Gary talked you into buying the RD Sport springs...even after you told him you wanted the Eibachs.

*Gary specifically told you the RD Sport springs were 'better' than the Eibach springs. (an opinion that is certainly not shared by the M3 community)

*You were told that these springs lower the car 1.5"?
The last time I checked...the RD Sport springs lower the car 1.25" in the front.

Curious how you experienced any better ride quality, since H&R builds these springs as well.

That 1.25" drop in the front, compresses the stock struts a little too much IMO, which limits your suspension travel. This causes the front struts to wear out faster than usual, and you end up with a slightly harsher ride as a side effect.

BTW: RD Sport doesn't manufacture any of the lowering springs they sell...

The springs RD Sport sells, are re-branded H&R's. They use a very stiff 54SiCr6 spring steel. The progressive spring rate of these springs, is the primary reason many H&R Sport owners end up complaining about (or dumping) these springs in favor of the much more forgiving Eibachs.

So technically speaking...you still have H&R springs on your car.
      10-29-2009, 09:03 PM   #15
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post
Hmm...

A few observations...

*Gary talked you into buying the RD Sport springs...even after you told him you wanted the Eibachs.

*Gary specifically told you the RD Sport springs were 'better' than the Eibach springs. (an opinion that is certainly not shared by the M3 community)

*You were told that these springs lower the car 1.5"?
The last time I checked...the RD Sport springs lower the car 1.25" in the front.

Curious how you experienced any better ride quality, since H&R builds these springs as well.

That 1.25" drop in the front, compresses the stock struts a little too much IMO, which limits your suspension travel. This causes the front struts to wear out faster than usual, and you end up with a slightly harsher ride as a side effect.

The springs RD Sport sells, are re-branded H&R's. They use a very stiff 54SiCr6 spring steel. The progressive spring rate of these springs, is the primary reason many H&R Sport owners end up complaining about (or dumping) these springs in favor of the much more forgiving Eibachs.

You are absolutely correct, and I have edited the height that I originally stated. I was thinking that H&R was 1.25 and RD was 1.5 by mistake, it's actually H&R at 1.0 and RD at 1.25. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. Just use my friend's fingers for reference in the photos provided, thats most accurate to how different things actually are. Far be it from me to misinform the community. And yes, H&R does manufacture the RDsport springs, much like how our stock BMW wheels are rebranded BBS. I'm just calling it as it is presented, and if everyone becomes offended that I call these rebranded H&R's RDsports, then I'll correct myself universally then.

Do understand that what I say is all personal opinion, and I don't mean it to be all facts from God. Just remembering my prior experience with the H&R's, and comparing them to the RDsports, I just personally feel that these drive much better than the standard H&R Springs I had initially. Now, these are brand new, so also please understand that I labeled my thread as "initial review" accordingly. I may find out that they feel much different as I put more miles on them.

As for M3 owners commonly dumping the RDsports for Eibachs, if the M3 community prefers Eibachs, I think that's great. They are good springs, and I would never deter anyone from getting the Eibachs. Although I've never had the opportunity to ride in Eibach equipped M3's, knowing that they are the most conservative, I'm sure I would have been happy with those as well.

As far as shock lifespan decrease, any lowering spring will do that. Yes, the RDsport's are more aggressive, and therefore will wear the shocks out faster than the Eibachs, but hey. Time to get KW's then, right? Also, the difference between 0.8 and 1.25 is so much smaller compared to not dropping it at all....

Finally, I was initially just being conservative in my decision to choose Eibach over RD, but a well-timed online post with pictures and a short talk with RennSpec convinced me otherwise. Maybe I'm just gullible, but I'm happy with my drop, so hey.

(From a different thread.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaross305 View Post
I have H & R's and a friend has eibachs..... we both agreed the H & R's seemed to ride smoother when we swapped cars
Different people, different opinions! I feel that RDsport rides a little bit smoother than H&R, and some people think that H&R ride better than Eibach, while others feel the opposite. Not everyone thinks the same, and there's no right answer. I'll make sure to go back and edit my original post to clearly state that I'm speaking from a personal point of view.

Last edited by LateBraking; 10-30-2009 at 03:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 09:27 PM   #16
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Quote:
I could be incorrect about the drop, and if I am, I apologize. Just use my friend's fingers for reference in the photos provided, thats most accurate to how different things actually are. Far be it from me to misinform the community. And yes, H&R does manufacture the RDsport springs, much like how our stock BMW wheels are rebranded BBS. I'm just calling it as it is presented, and if everyone becomes offended that I call these rebranded H&R's RDsports, then I'll correct myself universally then.

Edit: Yes, LeMans is correct, I'll edit the height. I was thinking that H&R was 1.25 and RD was 1.5 by mistake, it's actually H&R at 1.0 and RD at 1.25. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Do understand that what I say is all personal opinion, and I don't mean it to be all facts from God. Just remembering my prior experience with the H&R's, and comparing them to the RDsports, I just personally feel that these drive much better than the standard H&R Springs I had initially. Now, these are brand new, so also please understand that I labeled my thread as "initial review" accordingly. I may find out that they feel much different as I put more miles on them.

As for M3 owners commonly dumping the RDsports for Eibachs, if the M3 community prefers Eibachs, I think that's great. They are good springs, and I would never deter anyone from getting the Eibachs. Although I've never had the opportunity to ride in Eibach equipped M3's, knowing that they are the most conservative, I'm sure I would have been happy with those as well.

Finally, I was initially just being conservative in my decision to choose Eibach over RD, but a well-timed online post with pictures and a short talk with RennSpec convinced me otherwise. Maybe I'm just gullible, but I'm happy with my drop, so hey.
Sorry about that...

I never really know how guys are going to react to what I say sometimes.

I hope you enjoy your car, and I was only commenting on the initial post... because I saw a few things that were odd.

You have a right to buy whatever you want, and I apologize if my post was too judgmental.
      10-29-2009, 09:32 PM   #17
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sorry about that...

I never really know how guys are going to react to what I say sometimes.

I hope you enjoy your car, and I was only commenting on the initial post... because I saw a few things that were odd.

You have a right to buy whatever you want, and I apologize if my post was too judgmental.
Right, a few things were odd. I made sure to go back and correct my mistakes, and I appreciate you bringing my mistakes to my attention. I assure you that they were in no way intentional.

People do get emotional quite quickly and easily pretty often on this forum, but hey, if you let every little online post get to you, how are you going to handle real life?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 10:58 PM   #18
M3Kernow
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 Silverstone M3

Quote:
Hmm...

I have Racing Dynamics Springs on my E92 and spoke with the guy there when ordering them. Yes H&R may make the springs, but they are wound to Racing Dynamics Specifications hence the difference in ride. My friend has the H&R springs on his M and we both agree my ride, handling and stance is superior.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2009, 01:56 PM   #19
RENN Spec
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 488 Pista, M2CS, Tundra

Glad you like this Brian!
Appreciate 0