BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

INDustry distribution

12-14-2014, 06:41 PM   #1
myBailey07
Live Hard. Live Fast. Live Fearless. Be Kind
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

What do you make of this tire wear pattern?

Had new Toyo RA1 tires out at Circuit of the America's for three days and this is the wear pattern. What do you make of it? I did not have the tires shaved down and started tracking them at full thread, have -2.5 camber and started them out 32psi cold on first session and then 38psi hot after every session?

All four tires look like this...??

Tire pressure wrong? Camber? Just normal wear for how the thread blocks wear off if not shaven? Never see anything like this...

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 07:30 PM   #2
Richbot
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Looks normal for full tread. You will see more even wear (though they still won't last as long) with a shaved tire.
      12-14-2014, 07:37 PM   #3
///M Power-Belgium
Brigadier General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II

Think you had serious steering wheel vibration with tires in this condition .
Looks like they saw too much heat .
      12-14-2014, 08:25 PM   #4
bigjae1976
That's what she said...
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
That's pretty normal for NT01s which have been overheated. R888s are essentially the same tire as the NT01. But you're close to the cords, probably due for a flip.

Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 12:32 AM   #5
roastbeef
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

i'm no track expert, but it looks like feathering from a toe in. have you checked your alignment lately?
      12-16-2014, 03:32 AM   #6
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

You working your front tires to slow down in turns as you turn?
But that wouldn't explain the rears. Looks like you drove the hell out of those tires.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 11:04 AM   #7
Richbot
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

It's my understanding from running this tire back when Spec Miata was on it and there was good engineering info on the tire, that the tread wear pattern you see on the outside blocks is from the whole block flexing and heating up internally from flexing because they were run in the dry at full tread. Think of each block, turning about 800-2000 rpm, flexing each time it smacks the pavement and then each time it is unloaded again. As you wear into the tire you get less flex but you also continue to heat cycle that portion of the tread and it basically heat cycles faster than the rest of the tire. This was one of the reasons they went with the larger block tread design and shallower molded depth they did on the R888 (which was a botched design IMO, for other reasons...)
      12-17-2014, 06:41 PM   #8
myBailey07
Live Hard. Live Fast. Live Fearless. Be Kind
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Thanks guys, good feedback, as always! Had my suspension fully checked out this week and all seems fine. Must have been a combination of the way the RA1's wear as mentioned, little less camber than they like, and the fact that I drove the crap out of them at COTA. Sunday I did 5 sessions doubling up yellow and red groups back to back with only a few minutes grid time in between. Guess that put a lot of strain and heat in them. Also, yes, there are a few turns at COTA where I definitely used the front tires and turning to scrub speed if coming in slightly hot rather than braking.

I flipped them this week and will see how they behave at TWS this weekend ;-)

Later...
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 07:11 PM   #9
Patrón
4th ///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS 625 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by myBailey07 View Post
Thanks guys, good feedback, as always! Had my suspension fully checked out this week and all seems fine. Must have been a combination of the way the RA1's wear as mentioned, little less camber than they like, and the fact that I drove the crap out of them at COTA. Sunday I did 5 sessions doubling up yellow and red groups back to back with only a few minutes grid time in between. Guess that put a lot of strain and heat in them. Also, yes, there are a few turns at COTA where I definitely used the front tires and turning to scrub speed if coming in slightly hot rather than braking.

I flipped them this week and will see how they behave at TWS this weekend ;-)

Later...
That is a lot of track time at COTA. you are soon going to be an instructor!