BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
 
BPM
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-25-2015, 07:19 PM   #1
boostincincy
New Member
0
Rep
11
Posts

Drives: EVO IX SE
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Brooklyn

iTrader: (0)

Budget Minded BBK

Hey ya'll first time posting, I'm looking to change over from my EVO IX to an E92 2008/2009. I just want to make it a street able track car as I live in NYC, and can't have a full race car.

Probably do a 2-way coil over, exhaust, roll bar , seats/harness, lip, wheels… and now from I'm reading is that the stock brakes will leave me wanting more?

So, with that in mind, I'd love to conserve money where I can, so just wondering is everyone doing front & rear for upgraded brakes?

Also, what's the more budget friendly option, if there is such a thing? Just seeing what I need to budget, as well as feedback on the stock brakes in general.

thanks everyone
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 07:25 PM   #2
Leglessracing
Private
0
Rep
73
Posts

Drives: M3 E92
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Uk

iTrader: (0)

Brakes and suspension is where you should be focusing your money to start with. If you are looking to go budget on your bbk its not the way to go. You can always add power but if you go budget brakes now you will only want better when you add bhp to the car and won't be able to stop and have to upgrade your brakes again.

That's my $0.02 any way!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 07:36 PM   #3
EJT86
Captain
EJT86's Avatar
89
Rep
878
Posts

Drives: 2011 M3 DCT
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (0)

I'd say SS lines race fluid and race pads on the stock system if on a "budget" in the meantime you can scour the forums for a used set
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 07:46 PM   #4
surlynkid
Major
surlynkid's Avatar
18
Rep
1,264
Posts

Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: League City, TX

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
brakes
roll bar
seats
harness AND A HANS or equivalent.

I'll buy all that. That is all safety.

forget about a lip and wheels for now. get it to stop and make sure you are planted in there safely. do the wheels/tires, coilover, exhaust, lip in that order after the safety stuff.
__________________
Stoptech 380mm/355mm | PFC08 / Pagid RS-29 | Akrapovic EVO - CF tips | Benvo Tune | MS UDP | AA air filter | MCS 2-way with 700/1000lb springs | Solid bushings and adjustable links | RD front swaybar | Apex EC-7 18x10 square 275/35-18 NT01 | Turner Race Studs | GT4 Brake Cooling | GT4 Power Steering Cooling | Alekshop Oil Cooler | Performance Steering Wheel | | CF Spoiler | Varis System 1 Full CF Diffuser | Extended Paddle Shifters | Schroth Quick Fit Pro | Turner Steering Rack Stops | Vorshlag Camber Plates
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 08:23 PM   #5
tdott
Captain
13
Rep
607
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: T.Dot

iTrader: (1)

If you are handy, Caddy CTS V stock brembo 6pot calipers can be bad for only a couple hundred rebuilt. A custom bracket and pads and you are good. You can always go with a 2piece rotor if you want also.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 09:11 PM   #6
Groundpilot
Major
Groundpilot's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
1,447
Posts

Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: long island,ny

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via ICQ to Groundpilot
You want to install front lip and drive it in NYC? It will brake in less than one week, guaranteed.
As for badget brakes, i suggest PFC two piece slotted front rotors, PFC 08 pads all around with SRF racing brake fluid. Forget SS lines. They dont make the difference performance wise.
__________________

David
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 09:16 PM   #7
Sleeper519
Captain
Sleeper519's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
789
Posts

Drives: 08 E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (0)

Stock E9x M3 brakes are great on the street, suck on the track. You can do the Poor-man's brake upgrade (fluid, pads, lines) so that it's passable, but it just suck's a little less, and if you track it (hard) enough you will eventually upgrade to BBK.

I think the StopTechs are more budget friendly than say Brembo or AP Racing, both in initial outlay and replacement items. Some people go just with the front set and seem to be pretty happy tracking with that. I went with both front and rear because I'm a brake whore and I want my lovely but heavy pig of a track car to by gosh stop when its told to.

Either way, I would address brakes first, and looking for a used set is not a bad idea. Also, go with a set that is designed for this car, not a GM.

GL.
__________________

2008 M3 Coupe / DCT // StopTech BBK 380/355 / Pagid RS29 / Motul / Apex Arc-8 / BFG R1 / Ground Control / MS filter / Performance spoiler / BPM tune // Road Atlanta 1:39.70 / VIR Full 2:10.87 / Barber 1:42.20
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 09:48 PM   #8
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
United_States
19
Rep
461
Posts

Drives: 2x01 330, 02 M3, 13 ZCP M3
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpilot View Post
You want to install front lip and drive it in NYC? It will brake in less than one week, guaranteed.
As for badget brakes, i suggest PFC two piece slotted front rotors, PFC 08 pads all around with SRF racing brake fluid. Forget SS lines. They dont make the difference performance wise.
This

This is more than what is needed by any normal person on the track. The pfc dd rotors are of exceptional quality, they hold up 5x more than the oem rotors
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 09:56 PM   #9
Sleeper519
Captain
Sleeper519's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
789
Posts

Drives: 08 E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
This

This is more than what is needed by any normal person on the track. The pfc dd rotors are of exceptional quality, they hold up 5x more than the oem rotors

...uh, define normal.


especially on this forum.
__________________

2008 M3 Coupe / DCT // StopTech BBK 380/355 / Pagid RS29 / Motul / Apex Arc-8 / BFG R1 / Ground Control / MS filter / Performance spoiler / BPM tune // Road Atlanta 1:39.70 / VIR Full 2:10.87 / Barber 1:42.20
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 11:30 PM   #10
surlynkid
Major
surlynkid's Avatar
18
Rep
1,264
Posts

Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: League City, TX

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpilot View Post
You want to install front lip and drive it in NYC? It will brake in less than one week, guaranteed.
As for badget brakes, i suggest PFC two piece slotted front rotors, PFC 08 pads all around with SRF racing brake fluid. Forget SS lines. They dont make the difference performance wise.
This

This is more than what is needed by any normal person on the track. The pfc dd rotors are of exceptional quality, they hold up 5x more than the oem rotors
Uh.....my wife can kill PFC 08 pads and front rotors in no time and can kill a set of Nittos in 2 weekends. What is a normal track person? Maybe a blue/green student can survive with those items. Fast drivers can consume these parts like tic tacs.
__________________
Stoptech 380mm/355mm | PFC08 / Pagid RS-29 | Akrapovic EVO - CF tips | Benvo Tune | MS UDP | AA air filter | MCS 2-way with 700/1000lb springs | Solid bushings and adjustable links | RD front swaybar | Apex EC-7 18x10 square 275/35-18 NT01 | Turner Race Studs | GT4 Brake Cooling | GT4 Power Steering Cooling | Alekshop Oil Cooler | Performance Steering Wheel | | CF Spoiler | Varis System 1 Full CF Diffuser | Extended Paddle Shifters | Schroth Quick Fit Pro | Turner Steering Rack Stops | Vorshlag Camber Plates
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 07:10 AM   #11
nicksm3
Captain
19
Rep
603
Posts

Drives: e92 m3 Competition
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Westchester NY

iTrader: (4)

Suspension, BBK's with SS brakelines, brake fluid, coilovers, proper tires, proper street/track alignment.

Start from there...then I'd say 18" lightweight wheels, sway bars etc
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 08:03 AM   #12
Petros
Banned
44
Rep
1,383
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Canada

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
This

This is more than what is needed by any normal person on the track. The pfc dd rotors are of exceptional quality, they hold up 5x more than the oem rotors
by normal do you mean slow? Because the oem brakes even with pads and fluid are mediocre on the track. Even an intermediate level driver will quickly smoke the oem brakes on a trackday. I upgraded to an ap racing set and I'm never looking back. Night and day difference.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 11:06 AM   #13
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
United_States
19
Rep
461
Posts

Drives: 2x01 330, 02 M3, 13 ZCP M3
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper519 View Post
...uh, define normal.


especially on this forum.
As in what is actually needed
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 11:07 AM   #14
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
United_States
19
Rep
461
Posts

Drives: 2x01 330, 02 M3, 13 ZCP M3
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros View Post
by normal do you mean slow? Because the oem brakes even with pads and fluid are mediocre on the track. Even an intermediate level driver will quickly smoke the oem brakes on a trackday. I upgraded to an ap racing set and I'm never looking back. Night and day difference.
Note I mention pfc dd rotors. Big difference to stock

Lufty runs with this setup, is not slow, and is quite happy with it

I did the equivalent with a E46M. Kept up with all the bbk cars just fine
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 11:15 AM   #15
lutfy
First Lieutenant
lutfy's Avatar
21
Rep
344
Posts

Drives: E90 M3, 911 CS2, Exige 240 Cup
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Washington DC

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlynkid View Post
Uh.....my wife can kill PFC 08 pads and front rotors in no time and can kill a set of Nittos in 2 weekends. What is a normal track person? Maybe a blue/green student can survive with those items. Fast drivers can consume these parts like tic tacs.
The brake issue is true as I would kill a set of PF01s fronts in 4 sessions (NO TYPO HERE). Here's the solution and I have been doing this since last year and it works like a champ! Now front pads last 2-3 weekends (2 at Summit, 3 at VIR, Glen, Road ATL etc.).

1) PF Direct Drive rotors. Much better cooling. Not cross drilled so pads last longer.
2) PF08 or Pagid Yellow are fine for this application.
3) Castrol SRF Fluid
4) Remove the front dust shield.

I had the BW metal guide pins until this past weekend and the pads wore evenly but since I run track pads on the street and dont change pads often, the darn metal guide pin froze up. New Calipers all around now with rubber/oem guide. Pads to wear a bit off but I change when its 1/3 down anyways.

Very happy with the above setup. Stock rotors with any race pads was HORRID.

Pertaining to Nittos, how much negative camber is up front? I get 8 track days and I rotate each weekend. Flip on the wheel after 2 weekends (RA1 comparable tires here) running in Instructor session.

Cheers,

Lutfy
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 11:28 AM   #16
surlynkid
Major
surlynkid's Avatar
18
Rep
1,264
Posts

Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: League City, TX

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
-3.0 up front with zero toe. -2.1 or 2.2 in the rear with stock toe in. If I tell her there are no more on the trailer, she seems to make them last longer. Track surface is the key. COTA is smooth. TWS eats them up.
__________________
Stoptech 380mm/355mm | PFC08 / Pagid RS-29 | Akrapovic EVO - CF tips | Benvo Tune | MS UDP | AA air filter | MCS 2-way with 700/1000lb springs | Solid bushings and adjustable links | RD front swaybar | Apex EC-7 18x10 square 275/35-18 NT01 | Turner Race Studs | GT4 Brake Cooling | GT4 Power Steering Cooling | Alekshop Oil Cooler | Performance Steering Wheel | | CF Spoiler | Varis System 1 Full CF Diffuser | Extended Paddle Shifters | Schroth Quick Fit Pro | Turner Steering Rack Stops | Vorshlag Camber Plates
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 11:35 AM   #17
The HACK
Garland Operator 7G
The HACK's Avatar
109
Rep
3,755
Posts

Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2015 Fiat 500e
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Welcome to Jamaica have a nice day

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
If you are handy, Caddy CTS V stock brembo 6pot calipers can be bad for only a couple hundred rebuilt. A custom bracket and pads and you are good. You can always go with a 2piece rotor if you want also.
That's the WORST possible thing you can do to the M3 brakes.

You need to measure the overall size of the pistons from the upgraded calipers to the stock calipers and make sure they're of roughly equal size, and if they're not equal, make sure they're SMALLER overall. Otherwise you will actually be decreasing the amount of brake capacity rather than improve.
__________________
Quote:
No way I'd ever take my BMW to the track.
Quote:
Then why do you have $3,000 worth of suspension mods on your car?
Quote:
...
-Overheard at the last B****rfest.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 11:59 AM   #18
Kunman
Second Lieutenant
7
Rep
298
Posts

Drives: m3
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

I believe the stoptech or AP front only 355mm is the cheapest bbk track setup

The CHEAPEST street track setup (my setup)

1. used race pads + SRF
2. 17 inch rims +NT01 275sq
3. camber plates 2.7f, 1.5r
4. secondary delete + exhaust mod
5. take out rear seats + junk in the trunk
6. yank seatbelt lock
7. mop zip tie steering fluid container

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
That's the WORST possible thing you can do to the M3 brakes.

You need to measure the overall size of the pistons from the upgraded calipers to the stock calipers and make sure they're of roughly equal size, and if they're not equal, make sure they're SMALLER overall. Otherwise you will actually be decreasing the amount of brake capacity rather than improve.
Has anyone done this? LOL sounds interesting.
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2015, 01:33 PM   #19
tdott
Captain
13
Rep
607
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: T.Dot

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
That's the WORST possible thing you can do to the M3 brakes.

You need to measure the overall size of the pistons from the upgraded calipers to the stock calipers and make sure they're of roughly equal size, and if they're not equal, make sure they're SMALLER overall. Otherwise you will actually be decreasing the amount of brake capacity rather than improve.
That is a great example of sheep minded mentally. Vendors pray on people like you.

All you have to do is get the balance right, the rear and the master/brake balance would had to be modified if needed to retain the correct balance, it was just a start not a complete example. It's not rocket science.

Plus it was just an example of something that could be done or another direction that could be taken if someone wanted to fab up a kit themselves. The OP was looking for suggestions outside of the norm, I provided one, you provided the response of a sheep not capable of thinking for themselves.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 02:32 PM   #20
The HACK
Garland Operator 7G
The HACK's Avatar
109
Rep
3,755
Posts

Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2015 Fiat 500e
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Welcome to Jamaica have a nice day

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
That is a great example of sheep minded mentally. Vendors pray on people like you.

All you have to do is get the balance right, the rear and the master/brake balance would had to be modified if needed to retain the correct balance, it was just a start not a complete example. It's not rocket science.

Plus it was just an example of something that could be done or another direction that could be taken if someone wanted to fab up a kit themselves. The OP was looking for suggestions outside of the norm, I provided one, you provided the response of a sheep not capable of thinking for themselves.
This is a clear example of someone who doesn't know braking and engineering behind braking that thinks they know enough to tinker.

You absolutely have to make sure the front and rear balance are correct. However, if the overall piston area in the front and the rear add up to be bigger than the OEM piston area, you will end up with a very soft pedal. That means, you will need to upgrade the master cylinder pistons to retain the same brake pressure. That means, your "budget" upgrade now become significantly more expensive than had you just upgraded to a kit that is DESIGNED to work with your car.

Believe you me. I once put a kit in a different car (350Z) that I thought would work just like you had assumed. The end result was, under ANY braking situations, the pedal goes almost all the way to the floor immediately, with far less "slowing down" than OEM. We chased and bled and bled and chased, to no avail. Until one of my brake vendor buddies pointed out to me that our overall piston area is ~10% larger than OEM piston size, and this is the end result of us trying to mix and match calipers that weren't designed to work for this specific application.

So we looked further into how to fix it given the calipers were already installed, and we've already gone through all the time, effort, and money to "upgrade." The end result? We ended up putting in a custom Tilton master cylinder. The entire project started out as trying to fit a "budget" take off caliper on the car for $1,000 to a project that took over $5,000 to complete.

I speak from a position of EXPERIENCE. Unlike you.
__________________
Quote:
No way I'd ever take my BMW to the track.
Quote:
Then why do you have $3,000 worth of suspension mods on your car?
Quote:
...
-Overheard at the last B****rfest.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 03:32 PM   #21
tdott
Captain
13
Rep
607
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: T.Dot

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
I speak from a position of EXPERIENCE. Unlike you.
Yes, sounds like you had a failed experience because you didn't do your homework up front.

I don't have any experience doing this on an E9x platform (or 350z), but on the e30/e36 platform there are several master cylinders that can be interchanged with different piston size. I wasn't suggesting someone bolt up parts and hope it works, I was suggesting someone do their homework, find the caliper piston sizes, master cylinder piston size, brake pad surface area, brake bias, etc and calculate what is needed and find a similar type of caliper that would work. or interchange other components to make it work.

Are you saying that is it not possible to interchange stock parts from another car and not have it work properly just because you failed at it??

There are many examples of this on other platforms and see no reason why someone couldn't make it work on the e9x platform, would you like me to spoon feed you some examples?

Is it going to be easy? No. Is it going to be cheaper? Maybe not, if you had to pay someone to do the research, fabrication and install. Can someone that is knowledgeable, resourceful, handy with access to stock parts at relatively cheaper parts make it work? Absolutely I think so...
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 04:17 PM   #22
Z K
Colonel
Z K's Avatar
United_States
60
Rep
2,586
Posts

Drives: E90 M3, MK6 GLI
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Yes, sounds like you had a failed experience because you didn't do your homework up front.

I don't have any experience doing this on an E9x platform (or 350z), but on the e30/e36 platform there are several master cylinders that can be interchanged with different piston size. I wasn't suggesting someone bolt up parts and hope it works, I was suggesting someone do their homework, find the caliper piston sizes, master cylinder piston size, brake pad surface area, brake bias, etc and calculate what is needed and find a similar type of caliper that would work. or interchange other components to make it work.

Are you saying that is it not possible to interchange stock parts from another car and not have it work properly just because you failed at it??

There are many examples of this on other platforms and see no reason why someone couldn't make it work on the e9x platform, would you like me to spoon feed you some examples?
I ran 300ZX front brakes on a 240SX before. Complete bolt on for the car. The problem is, you also need to change the master cylinder for a 300ZX one because the piston sizes are way different. Also, you need to change out the rear brakes for 300ZX brakes as well and run a 300ZX brake proportioning valve. All this on a car with no ABS system.

I ran it with just bolt on calipers and it was a death trap to drive. On track, when you hit the brake, only the front brakes work and it works very hard, locking up the front wheels and not much brake fluid gets pushed to the rear causing the rear end to lift and slide out under braking. Pretty dangerous and resulted in me spinning out a few times. After the full 300ZX conversion... which was a pain in the ass to do and quite pricey, the car braked correctly... but a cheap $500 upgrade turned into $3k worth of parts and fabrication. I could have easily just have bought a Brembo or Stoptech brake kit.

On a newer car like the M3 with ABS, you better have a mechanical engineering degree to figure out how to get the brake balance right and some know how to re-tune the ABS system to get it to work correctly. Definitely not an easy bolt-on.
__________________
Auto Detailing Enthusiast!
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:32 AM.




m3post
m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST