BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-24-2009, 10:41 AM   #1
Mr.AK
Second Lieutenant
13
Rep
242
Posts

Drives: 2008 M3 e92
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Baltimore MD

iTrader: (0)

Nitrogen tires

My service advisor recommended refilling my tires with Nitrogen air. $118. Probably bullshit but whatever. Tell me what you think.
http://www.n2now.com/
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2009, 11:15 AM   #2
bavarian19
General
bavarian19's Avatar
United_States
249
Rep
18,831
Posts

Drives: Car
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: VA

iTrader: (23)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.AK View Post
My service advisor recommended refilling my tires with Nitrogen air. $118. Probably bullshit but whatever. Tell me what you think.
http://www.n2now.com/
$118


I got it for $5 a tire.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2009, 11:53 AM   #3
pittsy
Captain
pittsy's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
860
Posts

Drives: Jerez...E92 M3
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

I got it for free. Its good when the weather changes temp, the tire pressure doesn't change as much.
__________________
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black | Bamboo | 6MT | 18s | 5% tint | No iDrive | Heated Seats | V1 hardwire | ///M Alu Pedals | Matte Black Grills | Painted Reflectors | CF Roundels | GP Thunder 8500k | Remus Race Exhaust | VMR V701 18s Matte Black
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2009, 12:09 PM   #4
Mr.AK
Second Lieutenant
13
Rep
242
Posts

Drives: 2008 M3 e92
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Baltimore MD

iTrader: (0)

they put these green labeled caps on all 4 tires and lost my old ones. I was VERY upset because i bet im gonna need to pay for originals one day once this nitrogen gig is over!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2009, 12:38 PM   #5
Subw00er
Bates '08 Interlagos Launch
Subw00er's Avatar
United_States
36
Rep
1,206
Posts

Drives: 08e92M, 03e46M
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: NY

iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to Subw00er
Do all dealers have nitrogen?
__________________
Custom Exhaust Project: Bates Valvetronic exhaust: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253661 -- Exhaust Mod pics in here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/40236795@N03/
DON'T BUY Race Ready Performance electronic cutout valves. Here's why: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...40#post9589740
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2009, 01:01 PM   #6
elp_jc
Brigadier General
United_States
89
Rep
4,910
Posts

Drives: .
Join Date: May 2008
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

For a truck driver driving from coast to coast it makes sense; otherwise it's overkill. Besides, tires still lose pressure over time (more if not used frequently), and need to be aired regularly, especially when weather turns cold. I probably spend 10 minutes a year keeping my tire pressure constant. Not worth the trouble IMO.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2009, 05:22 PM   #7
shchow
Second Lieutenant
shchow's Avatar
2
Rep
294
Posts

Drives: 2010 CTS-V sedan, black raven
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hainesport, New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.AK View Post
My service advisor recommended refilling my tires with Nitrogen air. $118. Probably bullshit but whatever. Tell me what you think.
http://www.n2now.com/
Yeah, you're right, it's bullshite...
__________________
Current rides: 2010 CTS-V sedan, black raven; 2010 Cadillac Escalade ESV, black raven
Gone but not forgotten: 2008 M5, metallic sapphire black, SMG; 2004 645ci, metallic sapphire black, SMG
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2009, 06:00 PM   #8
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
Lemans_Blue_M's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
1,948
Posts

Drives: Lemans Blue M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

I know I'm going to regret posting this, but what the hell...

I use 99% High-purity Nitrogen gas in my tires.

Now you have to stick with it for a long time period to see any of the real benefits. That's the key. You cannot 'mix' it with regular compressed air, or you might as well forget about doing it at all.

Normal compressed air has ~78% nitrogen content. You wouldn't think that extra 21% of nitrogen would make a difference...but it does.

Here is what I have observed over the years, since I switched over to using nitrogen in my tires.

a) My tire pressures are more stable, and they rarely require pressure 'adjustments' to maintain my target air pressures. (38f, 41r) During one stretch, I did not have to add any nitrogen to my tire for a period of 7 months. I was amazed that it actually maintained the tire pressure!

b) My tire tread life has increased, since I started using nitrogen instead of compressed shop air.

Now I know you guys are going to call BS on this...but it's true.

I believe it has something to do with maintaining the shape of the tire and the contact patch. (less scrubbing in the corners) I was told by a tire engineer at Goodyear, that maintaining a stable consistent tire pressure will increase your tire wear. (by a few thousand miles on some tire compounds) He also told me the tire doesn't deform as much when you use nitrogen, because the gas doesn't expand or contract quite as much as normal compressed air does when the tire heats up. Therefore, I suspect it will help the tire maintain it's shape even when it's under heavy cornering loads. (when a typical under-inflated tire would roll over on it's sidewall) Proper consistent inflation pressure will minimize this effect, which leads to better (longer) tire wear.

c) My BLACK rubber tires stay black for the duration of their service life.

Now this one may not matter at all to you guys, but I hate when my black tires start turning dark brown. This is because the moisture that is typically found in compressed air will eventually turn your tires black rubber compound brown over time. I see this as an eyesore and i was happy to find out that nitrogen also keeps this from occurring. The nitrogen gas displaces the 02 in the normal compressed air, which removes the moisture content as well. Your nitrogen air is completely 'dry' from a moisture standpoint, and it does not readily absorb it either.

So that's why I decided to switch to nitrogen fill in my high performance tires.

I know some of you will never believe it makes ANY difference...and that's okay, but for those who have used this alternative for a long period of time...you know what I'm saying is the gospel truth.
__________________
The best is yet to come...
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2009, 07:03 PM   #9
foosh
Major
foosh's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
1,314
Posts

Drives: 2008 M3 E93
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Annapolis, MD

iTrader: (0)

Yeah, it is true. However, sometimes its just impractical.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2009, 07:48 PM   #10
smokinjoe64
Naval Aviator
smokinjoe64's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
319
Posts

Drives: 12 e92 M3 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Twin Cities

iTrader: (1)

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shchow View Post
Yeah, you're right, it's bullshite...
+1
the atmosphere is 79% nitrogen, 20% oxygen, and 1% other ...yeah BS!!!

O2 is corrosive...yeah, if you are running steel wheels!
__________________
`12 e92 M3 6MT - Interlagos Blue | Fox Red Extended Carbon Leather | Loaded |
Mods: RPI axle-back; aFe filter; IND painted reflectors; BMW satin black grills, LED hi-power interior lights; Ultimate Al petals; Clutch stop; LUX H8's; Rear Fogs; invisible nose bra; Escort 9500ix hardwired w/mirror mount, custom coding
`08 e92 M3 6MT - retired
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2009, 10:06 AM   #11
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
captainaudio's Avatar
United_States
174
Rep
3,684
Posts

Drives: 2015 M4
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton Florida

iTrader: (0)

Oxygen can cause oxidation in rubber but I fail to see how keeping oxygen out of the inside of a tire will prevent oxidation to the outside of a tire.

CA
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2009, 05:54 PM   #12
MrHarris
yodog
MrHarris's Avatar
United_States
84
Rep
5,036
Posts

Drives: '86 Corolla
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Diamond Bar, Ca

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2009 BMW  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to MrHarris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post
I know I'm going to regret posting this, but what the hell...

I use 99% High-purity Nitrogen gas in my tires.

Now you have to stick with it for a long time period to see any of the real benefits. That's the key. You cannot 'mix' it with regular compressed air, or you might as well forget about doing it at all.

Normal compressed air has ~78% nitrogen content. You wouldn't think that extra 21% of nitrogen would make a difference...but it does.

Here is what I have observed over the years, since I switched over to using nitrogen in my tires.

a) My tire pressures are more stable, and they rarely require pressure 'adjustments' to maintain my target air pressures. (38f, 41r) During one stretch, I did not have to add any nitrogen to my tire for a period of 7 months. I was amazed that it actually maintained the tire pressure!

b) My tire tread life has increased, since I started using nitrogen instead of compressed shop air.

Now I know you guys are going to call BS on this...but it's true.

I believe it has something to do with maintaining the shape of the tire and the contact patch. (less scrubbing in the corners) I was told by a tire engineer at Goodyear, that maintaining a stable consistent tire pressure will increase your tire wear. (by a few thousand miles on some tire compounds) He also told me the tire doesn't deform as much when you use nitrogen, because the gas doesn't expand or contract quite as much as normal compressed air does when the tire heats up. Therefore, I suspect it will help the tire maintain it's shape even when it's under heavy cornering loads. (when a typical under-inflated tire would roll over on it's sidewall) Proper consistent inflation pressure will minimize this effect, which leads to better (longer) tire wear.

c) My BLACK rubber tires stay black for the duration of their service life.

Now this one may not matter at all to you guys, but I hate when my black tires start turning dark brown. This is because the moisture that is typically found in compressed air will eventually turn your tires black rubber compound brown over time. I see this as an eyesore and i was happy to find out that nitrogen also keeps this from occurring. The nitrogen gas displaces the 02 in the normal compressed air, which removes the moisture content as well. Your nitrogen air is completely 'dry' from a moisture standpoint, and it does not readily absorb it either.

So that's why I decided to switch to nitrogen fill in my high performance tires.

I know some of you will never believe it makes ANY difference...and that's okay, but for those who have used this alternative for a long period of time...you know what I'm saying is the gospel truth.
I believe this 100%, it's just I haven't gotten myself to take my car to a tire shop and actually fill it up with nitrogen air
__________________

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2009, 06:22 PM   #13
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
69
Rep
4,643
Posts

Drives: .
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

When I took delivery of my M3, I believe it already had its tires filled up with Nitrogen, since it has the 'lime-green inflation caps'......Am I correct, or do all M3's have that??
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2009, 06:33 PM   #14
MrHarris
yodog
MrHarris's Avatar
United_States
84
Rep
5,036
Posts

Drives: '86 Corolla
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Diamond Bar, Ca

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2009 BMW  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to MrHarris
Mine were that grey looking TPMS cap. Looks very nice
__________________

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2009, 07:45 PM   #15
FStop7
I like cars
FStop7's Avatar
Vatican City State
114
Rep
5,055
Posts

Drives: M6
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Newbury Park, CA

iTrader: (3)

Running nitrogen is great, but it is not $118 better than air. Not even close. $5 per tire is as much as I'd pay.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2009, 08:03 PM   #16
foosh
Major
foosh's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
1,314
Posts

Drives: 2008 M3 E93
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Annapolis, MD

iTrader: (0)

Yes, I think that point has been missed by many of the nitrogen proponents here, of which I am one. $118 (if a true quote by a dealer) just to fill 4 tires with N is absurd. $5 extra per tire is about right by any stretch of the imagination. It's provided free by many installers.

I suspect many of the BS comments were directed toward that price, and with that I would have to agree. I'm wondering if that was a quote for his total mounting and balancing charges, including N inflation. The OP was vague about that.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2009, 08:24 PM   #17
J08M3
Major General
J08M3's Avatar
United_States
109
Rep
6,009
Posts

Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NEW YORK

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
Oxygen can cause oxidation in rubber but I fail to see how keeping oxygen out of the inside of a tire will prevent oxidation to the outside of a tire.

CA
+1 can't keep oxygen off the outside of the tire

It's a bunch of BS... Yes your tire will maintain same pressure better... but driving on the street your pressure doesn't change that much and as the weather changes you can easily check your tire pressure and adjust it for free with regular air.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2009, 08:38 PM   #18
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
Lemans_Blue_M's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
1,948
Posts

Drives: Lemans Blue M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinjoe64 View Post
+1
the atmosphere is 79% nitrogen, 20% oxygen, and 1% other ...yeah BS!!!

O2 is corrosive...yeah, if you are running steel wheels!
Aluminum corrodes, steel rusts...

The extra ~20% of nitrogen, displaces the oxygen content inside the tires. That all but eliminates moisture...which leads to corrosion. Without oxygen, corrosion (or rust) can not occur.


Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
Oxygen can cause oxidation in rubber but I fail to see how keeping oxygen out of the inside of a tire will prevent oxidation to the outside of a tire.

CA
Rubber is actually a porous material. The average consumer doesn't know that...

This is a small but important point.

Over time, the normal compressed air used to inflate the tire will permeate (leak) THROUGH the outer rubber jacket, back to atmosphere. (not kidding)

As this occurs, the 20% oxygen content in the normal compressed air will slowly degrade the rubber compound as it passes through, turning it a dark shade of brown. (again not kidding)

I worked for Boeing many years ago, and we always filled the landing gear tires with nitrogen gas, because it was simply better than compressed shop air. The tires lasted longer, and they performed in a predictable manner, regardless of the extreme temperature swings they were subjected to on the flight line.

I can tell you with absolute certainty that nitrogen does work to improve (and maximize) the performance of your tires. If you simply refuse to believe that...then I guess there is nothing more I could say to change your minds...
__________________
The best is yet to come...
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2009, 09:29 PM   #19
J08M3
Major General
J08M3's Avatar
United_States
109
Rep
6,009
Posts

Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NEW YORK

iTrader: (8)

^-- there's a much bigger temperature swing in airline tires and regular air contains water vapor. Which can turn to steam or ice depending on conditions.


On a side note... I've never owned tires long enough (especially on a high performance car) to even consider worrying about rubber slowly breaking down from oxidation. They are long out of tread before that's an issue
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2009, 10:38 PM   #20
kenwelch
Lieutenant
United_States
5
Rep
430
Posts

Drives: 2008 E92 M3 M-DCT
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mission Viejo, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post

You cannot 'mix' it with regular compressed air, or you might as well forget about doing it at all.

Normal compressed air has ~78% nitrogen content. You wouldn't think that extra 21% of nitrogen would make a difference...but it does.

After the nitrogen fill the tire air will still be mixed with oxygen. They do not remove the oxygen (at atmospheric pressure) that is left when letting out the pressure for the nitrogen fill. You do not have pure nitrogen when the tire is refilled.

This is a link to information from Bridgestone regarding nitrogen in tires:
http://www.getnitrogen.org/pdf/Bridgestone.pdf

You will notice that there is a greater advantage if filling the tires to higher pressures, like their example at 105 psi. Automotive tires lower concentration of nitrogen because of the lower pressure used.

For the OP:
They're asking way too much for the nitrogen fill.

Last edited by kenwelch; 10-25-2009 at 10:59 PM. Reason: add link to information from Bridgestone
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2009, 11:00 PM   #21
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
Lemans_Blue_M's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
1,948
Posts

Drives: Lemans Blue M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenwelch View Post
After the nitrogen fill the tire air will still be mixed with oxygen. They do not remove the oxygen (at atmospheric pressure) that is left when letting out the pressure for the nitrogen fill. You do not have pure nitrogen when the tire is refilled.

For the OP:
They're asking way too much for the nitrogen fill.
The proper nitrogen fill procedure is to inflate...then evacuate the air 3 times to PURGE the oxygen from the tire cavity.
__________________
The best is yet to come...
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2009, 11:06 PM   #22
index1489
Colonel
index1489's Avatar
United_States
40
Rep
2,161
Posts

Drives: Out of warranty BMW
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chino, CA

iTrader: (7)

Nissan puts N in the GTR tires from the factory.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:23 PM.




m3post
m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST