BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis
 
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-14-2011, 05:00 AM   #23
mastek
e36s54, F10M5, e70X5d
 
mastek's Avatar
 
Drives: slow
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 1,547
iTrader: (15)

Cobalt Friction XR1 are the best in the business (see ALMS)
PFC 01 are still the benchmark but now older
mastek is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-14-2011, 01:18 PM   #24
dnvrdrvr
Captain
 
dnvrdrvr's Avatar
 
Drives: JB E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Denver, CO

Posts: 762
iTrader: (3)

I used PFC 01 last season and plan to use them again this year. Never experienced any fading and have just under half the pad material left after 15 track days last season. As far as rotor friendliness... I'll probably be getting new rotors this year, but I'm fairly certain I would be no matter what pad I'd used after that many days.

They're definitely NOT a street pad - they're loud until they get up to temp.

One "con" to think about is that they don't have the clamps to hold them to the calipers (they float) and so make clapping noises when you're not using the brakes. I only noticed it when driving through the pits though.
__________________

Just a girl and her 420 ponies...
www.mw3motorsports.com
dnvrdrvr is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-14-2011, 01:28 PM   #25
elh0102
Captain
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: USA

Posts: 704
iTrader: (0)

I have experience with the Carbotech XP-10 and the Pagid R19 and 29. IMO, the Pagid is a better pad, but the Carbotech a much better value. I found both pads to be compatible with the street pads with which I was alternating use. You probably already know this, but unless you have a very long drive home from the track, it’s a good idea to keep the track pads on until you get home. Operating at cooler temps will scrub off the pad material transferred during high temp track use. It will take most street pads a lot longer to clean the rotors, and some may not be able at all.
__________________
2011 Space Gray Coupe, DCT, ZCP, StopTech ST-60/ST-40 BBK.
elh0102 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-14-2011, 02:49 PM   #26
Sleeper519
Captain
 
Sleeper519's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA

Posts: 732
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elh0102 View Post
I have experience with the Carbotech XP-10 and the Pagid R19 and 29. IMO, the Pagid is a better pad, but the Carbotech a much better value. I found both pads to be compatible with the street pads with which I was alternating use. You probably already know this, but unless you have a very long drive home from the track, it’s a good idea to keep the track pads on until you get home. Operating at cooler temps will scrub off the pad material transferred during high temp track use. It will take most street pads a lot longer to clean the rotors, and some may not be able at all.
Thank you for the input. I'm leaning towards the XP-10s, since they cost 1/2 what the Pagids do and are at least close in performance. I'm still in the intermediate run groups but have been pushing the car pretty hard and my times are dropping pretty consistently.

I"ve already thought of the drive to and from the track, and yes they end up being the perfect "anti-bed in" rotor scrubbers before putting the street pads back on at home! Most of my track days are at Road Atlanta, which is close, but I am going to drive to VIR in April, which I'm uncertain about driving 450 highway miles each way with race pads on. Would probably have to re-bed in the brakes closer to track arrival.
__________________

2008 M3 Coupe / DCT // StopTech BBK 380/355 / Pagid RS29 / Motul / Apex Arc-8 / BFG R1S / Ground Control / MS filter / Performance spoiler / BPM tune // Road Atlanta 1:39.80 / VIR Full 2:10.87 / Barber 1:42.20
Sleeper519 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-14-2011, 04:25 PM   #27
LiM3y
Major
 
LiM3y's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CT

Posts: 1,223
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrdrvr View Post
I used PFC 01 last season and plan to use them again this year. Never experienced any fading and have just under half the pad material left after 15 track days last season. As far as rotor friendliness... I'll probably be getting new rotors this year, but I'm fairly certain I would be no matter what pad I'd used after that many days.

They're definitely NOT a street pad - they're loud until they get up to temp.

One "con" to think about is that they don't have the clamps to hold them to the calipers (they float) and so make clapping noises when you're not using the brakes. I only noticed it when driving through the pits though.
I got this too. I thought I had "broken" my brakes since it was the first time I had DIY'd changing pads! It wasn't until I checked with Performance Friction that this was usual (but I wish I was warned!)

I used PFC-01 and Hawk DTC-70. The PFC-01 were far superior, although I did warp a backing plate and crake the covering after ~ 6 days. The DTC-70s had plenty of stopping power, but were less and less consistent towards the end of the session. I am going to try Pagids this season and hope for manufacturer sponsorship! (yeah, right! LOL) and see which brand is the best for me
LiM3y is online now   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-14-2011, 11:32 PM   #28
dnvrdrvr
Captain
 
dnvrdrvr's Avatar
 
Drives: JB E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Denver, CO

Posts: 762
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiM3y View Post
I got this too. I thought I had "broken" my brakes since it was the first time I had DIY'd changing pads! It wasn't until I checked with Performance Friction that this was usual (but I wish I was warned!)
Me too! It took 3 separate people joyriding with me through the pits before we figured out what it was. What a huge relief when we did! I thought I'd majorly messed something up.
__________________

Just a girl and her 420 ponies...
www.mw3motorsports.com
dnvrdrvr is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-15-2011, 12:27 AM   #29
rzm3
Moderator
 
rzm3's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 4,601
iTrader: (14)

Merged with an existing thread over in the Track section. Also some good info here: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=396763
__________________
E92 M3 DCT - AiM EVO4 Data Logger / AiM SmartyCam HD / KW Competition 2-Way / OMP ARS Racing Seats / Brembo GT 365 / Pagid Yellow RS-29 / Rear Seats Delete
rzm3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-15-2011, 07:30 AM   #30
ShadeD1
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2010 Jerez Black E92 DCT
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Houston, TX

Posts: 326
iTrader: (0)

PFC 06 on all 4 corners. Work great no fade and fine on street (noisy though) so I leave them on between events.
ShadeD1 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-20-2011, 06:44 AM   #31
nez
Private First Class
 
nez's Avatar
 
Drives: e90 m3
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Melbourne

Posts: 171
iTrader: (0)

I'm sporting a set of CL RC6E on front and rears. Supposedly rotor friendly as well as long lasting. Never used PFC-01 or Pagids to compare to but they didn't fade on the track day when I first used them. Having said that, I'm a beginner so it's unlikely i stressed them too hard. They are quite noisey and they clank like crazy as well because they don't have the retention clips on the pads either.

Here's a vid with them on, you can hear the clanking clearly at 0:50 into the vid.

nez is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      02-20-2011, 02:01 PM   #32
rzm3
Moderator
 
rzm3's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 4,601
iTrader: (14)

Has anyone tried StopTech Street Performance Pads on their stock brakes? I use them on my BBK and am very impressed. Obviously the temperature is lower on the BBK but it might be worth a try.

__________________
E92 M3 DCT - AiM EVO4 Data Logger / AiM SmartyCam HD / KW Competition 2-Way / OMP ARS Racing Seats / Brembo GT 365 / Pagid Yellow RS-29 / Rear Seats Delete
rzm3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2011, 07:05 PM   #33
racer01
Private
 
Drives: 09' 335i sedan, 2011 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Aiken, SC

Posts: 59
iTrader: (0)

I am also interested in any experience with folks running the stoptech street perf pads at the track with stock calipers and rotors. They are a bargain at <$200 for both axles and seem to be able to handle medium track use and still be quiet on the street with non-corrosive dust. They get great reviews for mild/med track use with the big brake kits.
I typically avoid a "dual purpose" pad, but it seems technology has possibly got to a point that you can use the same pad for street and mild track use....my local track (Roebling Road) is pretty easy on brakes.
Sooooo......anybody tried them or do I have to be the first?
racer01 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2011, 10:27 PM   #34
wwjd15
Banned
 
Drives: 11 E92 M3 MR
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Orange County

Posts: 1,322
iTrader: (6)

Endless me20

If money isn't tight, I would recommend endless me20. It can be used as DD since it's so damn quiet before cooked. I have them on my Gtr, they have lasted for 15 track days so far and still have about 15-20 track days to go I guess. The stopping power similar to rs29 which is how much u push how much u get type of pads. But they make lots of dust though if u care about this.
wwjd15 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-24-2011, 10:30 PM   #35
chili cheese
Captain
 
chili cheese's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 E92 M3, Santorini Blue
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern CA

Posts: 958
iTrader: (6)

I just purchased the Pagid RS19s from Turner and plan to try them out this weekend with the stock rotors and calipers. The front pads are on sale right now for $304.
chili cheese is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-28-2011, 04:08 PM   #36
chili cheese
Captain
 
chili cheese's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 E92 M3, Santorini Blue
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern CA

Posts: 958
iTrader: (6)

Ran 4 x 25min. sessions yesterday at the AAA Speedway Roval with only Pagid RS19s and ATE Gold. I went with the gold for fear of warranty issues when I take the car in for service.

It was a cool day and perhaps I'm not as hard on the brakes as others (I'm not running R-Comps yet). I can report no brake fade. Pedal was really firm with good initial bite which gave me a lot of confidence coming off the high speed straights. I'll pull the pads off this evening, but I don't expect there to be much wear. I'm excited that I didn't have to purchase a BBK to get good performance!
chili cheese is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-28-2011, 05:44 PM   #37
Bubbles
Green Bastard
 
Bubbles's Avatar
 
Drives: ZCP-Powered
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bishop Bend

Posts: 3,547
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chili cheese View Post
Ran 4 x 25min. sessions yesterday at the AAA Speedway Roval with only Pagid RS19s and ATE Gold. I went with the gold for fear of warranty issues when I take the car in for service.

It was a cool day and perhaps I'm not as hard on the brakes as others (I'm not running R-Comps yet). I can report no brake fade. Pedal was really firm with good initial bite which gave me a lot of confidence coming off the high speed straights. I'll pull the pads off this evening, but I don't expect there to be much wear. I'm excited that I didn't have to purchase a BBK to get good performance!

Good deal, the pagid yellows are great pads. Thanks for the sale price tip, I ordered two sets of fronts (wear about 4x times to rears). My warm up sessions are 30 minutes, followed by open track day ~4-5 hours of driving.
__________________
Bubbles is offline   Cayman Islands
0
Reply With Quote
      02-28-2011, 08:22 PM   #38
VictorH
Lieutenant
 
Drives: '09 M3
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SC

Posts: 598
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chili cheese View Post
Ran 4 x 25min. sessions yesterday at the AAA Speedway Roval with only Pagid RS19s and ATE Gold. I went with the gold for fear of warranty issues when I take the car in for service.

It was a cool day and perhaps I'm not as hard on the brakes as others (I'm not running R-Comps yet). I can report no brake fade. Pedal was really firm with good initial bite which gave me a lot of confidence coming off the high speed straights. I'll pull the pads off this evening, but I don't expect there to be much wear. I'm excited that I didn't have to purchase a BBK to get good performance!
I like the Pagid RS-19 too. I've used them for a total of 10 track days including 4 days and 500 miles at Road America this past fall. I have at least 60% of the fronts and more than that on the rear left. I think they are fantastic. I've not had any fade yet and I've had them really hot after a black flag session (no cool down). They also have the proper clips like the stock pads and if you wanted you could run then the pad wear sensors (I don't think it's necessary). They are costly, but this is one case where you get what you pay for. That's not to say that there aren't other pads that might be just as good, but these are proven and work well on our cars.
VictorH is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-01-2011, 11:45 PM   #39
NRBRNG
Second Lieutenant
 
NRBRNG's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E92 M3, DCT, SG.
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: OREGON, USA

Posts: 208
iTrader: (9)

COBALT XR2's. Great anchors, easy on (OEM) rotors, dust comes off easily, $550 ish for all 4 corners, Pig squeals when cold remind you NOT for the street. Good clean fun!
__________________
SG, DCT- Diffsonline 3.62 triple ramp.
MCS 2-way, GC race CP, TMS solid subframe/Diff bushings, RD sway bars, Akra catless GT4, BPM tune, welded half cage/door bars, Recaro Profi's /Schroth 6 pts, Stoptech ST60/ Cobalt XR1/2 race pads, Apex ARC 8's, Yoko A005 slicks, RKP GT4 Splitter, APR GT250 Wing, BMC filter, BW race F CAB's, Dinan R Toe Links, Mini CS battery, Aim DL, Dry-3100 pounds
NRBRNG is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-02-2011, 02:22 PM   #40
chili cheese
Captain
 
chili cheese's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 E92 M3, Santorini Blue
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern CA

Posts: 958
iTrader: (6)

Yeah, I finally decided on the Pagids because they would wear well, they have the metal clips AND the notch for the pad sensor....the complete package.

Unfortunately, when I went to change the pads back to OEM on my LR, I found the sensor to be missing. In fact it appears that the whole thing including the wiring was ripped completely off. The little spring/clip must have failed or I put it back incorrectly. The dash warning light has not come on yet. I'm assuming it's because the other rear sensor is still intact. I wonder if the dealership would cover the sensor replacement if it just "fell out".

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorH View Post
I like the Pagid RS-19 too. I've used them for a total of 10 track days including 4 days and 500 miles at Road America this past fall. I have at least 60% of the fronts and more than that on the rear left. I think they are fantastic. I've not had any fade yet and I've had them really hot after a black flag session (no cool down). They also have the proper clips like the stock pads and if you wanted you could run then the pad wear sensors (I don't think it's necessary). They are costly, but this is one case where you get what you pay for. That's not to say that there aren't other pads that might be just as good, but these are proven and work well on our cars.
chili cheese is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-02-2011, 03:21 PM   #41
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
 
marcel b's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Europe

Posts: 1,864
iTrader: (0)

Endless Ma45b! Really great pad and not to hard on the rotors. Teams driving the 24h of the Nürburgring manage the full race on one set :-)
I have them myself, and compared to the Pagid RS29 they have more bite, easier to modulate and last more then twice as long.

http://www.endless-brake.info/competition-brake-pads
marcel b is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-02-2011, 04:44 PM   #42
enricob
First Lieutenant
 
enricob's Avatar
 
Drives: Bmw M3 e92
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Italy

Posts: 340
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel b View Post
Endless Ma45b! Really great pad and not to hard on the rotors. Teams driving the 24h of the Nürburgring manage the full race on one set :-)
I have them myself, and compared to the Pagid RS29 they have more bite, easier to modulate and last more then twice as long.

http://www.endless-brake.info/competition-brake-pads
hi Marcel!!!

where i can find Endless pads for M3 in the web?

ps

SPA Francorschamps 18th April
Nordschleife 20-21th April

will you come?
enricob is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-02-2011, 05:54 PM   #43
RickyBobby
Lieutenant
 
RickyBobby's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NorCal

Posts: 462
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chili cheese View Post
Yeah, I finally decided on the Pagids because they would wear well, they have the metal clips AND the notch for the pad sensor....the complete package.

Unfortunately, when I went to change the pads back to OEM on my LR, I found the sensor to be missing. In fact it appears that the whole thing including the wiring was ripped completely off. The little spring/clip must have failed or I put it back incorrectly. The dash warning light has not come on yet. I'm assuming it's because the other rear sensor is still intact. I wonder if the dealership would cover the sensor replacement if it just "fell out".

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorH View Post
I like the Pagid RS-19 too. I've used them for a total of 10 track days including 4 days and 500 miles at Road America this past fall. I have at least 60% of the fronts and more than that on the rear left. I think they are fantastic. I've not had any fade yet and I've had them really hot after a black flag session (no cool down). They also have the proper clips like the stock pads and if you wanted you could run then the pad wear sensors (I don't think it's necessary). They are costly, but this is one case where you get what you pay for. That's not to say that there aren't other pads that might be just as good, but these are proven and work well on our cars.
Sensors are just a bad idea for the track. I've shattered mine from the heat from leaving them on during track days. Best to either zip tie them to control arms or remove them all together.
And no, they are not covered under warranty when they are melted.
RickyBobby is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-02-2011, 09:40 PM   #44
chili cheese
Captain
 
chili cheese's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 E92 M3, Santorini Blue
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern CA

Posts: 958
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobby View Post
Sensors are just a bad idea for the track. I've shattered mine from the heat from leaving them on during track days. Best to either zip tie them to control arms or remove them all together.
And no, they are not covered under warranty when they are melted.
Ha! I guess I never considered that the pad sensor might MELT. I'm gonna zip tie them back next time for sure. Also, I could have sworn that I had a sensor on all four sides, but the more posts I read the more I'm thinking that the driver's rear was never there in the first place.
chili cheese is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:13 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST