BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

MaxcySpeed & Company

04-13-2014, 04:38 PM   #1
VictorH
Lieutenant

Drives: '09 M3

What kind of ride? 600/900 springs

I currently have 425 front and 700 rear Hyperco springs with a JRZ RS-1 set up. Ride on the street is great, shocks set soft are as soft as stock, but a bit bouncy, 6 clicks front and rear is a bit firmer than stock but very acceptable and where I run on the street.

If I only drove on the street, this would be the ideal set up, and on the track if I only drove VIR I'd be fine and stick with this set up. Road Atlanta, which is probably my favorite track, has two turns where this set up bottoms out and not just a little bit. My options include some sort of custom bump stop or the proper route, I'm told is stiffer springs. Recommended set up is 600 Front, 900 Rear. 99% of my driving is freeway and this car is my daily driver. Track use is 3-6 times per year.

Questions:
1) Will I hate my car with these springs?
2) How much stiffer percentage wise will this feel? it's an almost 50% increase in spring rates, will it feel 50% stiffer?
3) What would you do? Live with it as is and go with some sort of custom bump stop or switch to the stiff springs?
      04-13-2014, 07:02 PM   #2
M3SQRD
Colonel

Drives: E92 M3s, R56 Cooper S

I'm running 600/800 lbf/in F/R on my JRZ RS1s and it's my primary street car. Rear suspension setup also uses BWs rear AL suspension arms with rod ends, and their F LCAB (thrust bearing). Personally, I find this a very comfortable setup on the street. I'm considering switching to MCS 2WNR dampers with higher spring rates and F suspension AL arms with rod ends, and I'm not at all concerned about the ride on the street.

So, at least for me, I'd have no trouble running 600/900 lbf/in F/R spring rates on an M3 used as a daily driver but, just like exhausts, everyone has their own tolerance level. It's not too difficult to swap springs so swap in the new rates, drive the car a few weeks, and then find out if you can tolerate the higher rates on the RS1s. Good luck!
M3SQRD is offline   United_States
      04-13-2014, 11:39 PM   #3
TrakBch
Lieutenant

Drives: Alpine White E92

Running 690/900 here. Love it, street ride is better than stock with dampers set to 1 click above full soft. As long as your shock is set for it you should be fine.

PM me if you need a Free CARFAX report