BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Strasse Wheels

08-18-2009, 06:47 PM   #1
Dr.G
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: Not enough room!!!

Dropping an EDC system

This is my ignorance talking but does the dropping of an m3 suspension equipped with EDC pose complications?

Better to skip on the EDC when you buy the car if you plan on dropping it?

If you do drop an EDC system does the system still function?

Any insight would be wonderful!

THX
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 06:57 PM   #2
albert1028
First Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep

Drives: 2009 E90 Space Gray M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.G View Post
This is my ignorance talking but does the dropping of an m3 suspension equipped with EDC pose complications?

Better to skip on the EDC when you buy the car if you plan on dropping it?

If you do drop an EDC system does the system still function?

Any insight would be wonderful!

THX
THere are very few complications, if any, with just the springs. For some coilovers, they have ones that mimic the EDC so it doesn't trip a EDC malfunction signal.

But I would do a search as this is a subject that has been discussed at length.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 06:59 PM   #3
Dr.G
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I found the thread that talked bout it but it only answers the point of whether you can drop an EDC system, the answer is yes but does the EDC still completes its task? Is it still possible to feel the difference between the 3 settings or is the ride too hard to notice a difference in the first place? Or the comfort setting make the springs bog and compress too much?

If so is it better to skip the EDC system if you are going to drop it?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2009, 07:29 PM   #4
michaeldorian
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: Beater Nissan Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.G View Post
I found the thread that talked bout it but it only answers the point of whether you can drop an EDC system, the answer is yes but does the EDC still completes its task? Is it still possible to feel the difference between the 3 settings or is the ride too hard to notice a difference in the first place? Or the comfort setting make the springs bog and compress too much?

If so is it better to skip the EDC system if you are going to drop it?
If you plan to do full suspension work. Meaning going coilovers, I would not get EDC. A full coilover system will be vastly superior to the stock sport suspension.

Now if you really need comfort mode, then EDC is really the only way to go. Most aftermarket setups will be more aggressive.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 03:13 PM   #5
SV Concepts II
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90 M3

Most aftermarket coil overs won't support EDC so you will need to remove it anyways. If you are looking for just some lowering springs, this will not have any serious affect on the damping control.

I would personally not get the EDC from the get go. But I'm also anti-DCT (it's missing a pedal) and will gladly sacrifice almost all comfort for performance.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 03:52 PM   #6
Dr.G
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali@Jlevi SW View Post
Most aftermarket coil overs won't support EDC so you will need to remove it anyways. If you are looking for just some lowering springs, this will not have any serious affect on the damping control.

I would personally not get the EDC from the get go. But I'm also anti-DCT (it's missing a pedal) and will gladly sacrifice almost all comfort for performance.
thx for answering my question, but im still getting dct bc i have a very bad left knee
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2009, 11:16 AM   #7
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 991TTs

so just to make things clear! if you plan to lower your car, not a serious rework of the suspension system but just lowering, the EDC will still work? but its better just to not to get it anyway?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 02:51 AM   #8
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 View Post
so just to make things clear! if you plan to lower your car, not a serious rework of the suspension system but just lowering, the EDC will still work? but its better just to not to get it anyway?
Ya , it will still work! if you use a EDC emulator( which I have them) what it does it just does not calculate the EDC ride factor through the ECU. Atleast that is what the dealer told me.

If you want I am brand new Eibach EDC springs for sales. I never used them at all.

Past: Gintani stage3 M3
present: Porsche 993RWB, 964RS America,996 cupcar, 964 turbo 3.6, 991C4S, i3 in September
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 07:11 PM   #9
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 991TTs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene-TAIWAN View Post
Ya , it will still work! if you use a EDC emulator( which I have them) what it does it just does not calculate the EDC ride factor through the ECU. Atleast that is what the dealer told me.

If you want I am brand new Eibach EDC springs for sales. I never used them at all.
haha i dont have an e90 yet, im still debating it
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2009, 03:28 PM   #10
rawedge2
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 05 STI - 08 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene-TAIWAN View Post

what is this EDC Emulator you speak of, used with springs?