BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
GT Haus
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-17-2009, 06:07 PM   #1
dillon733
Major
dillon733's Avatar
18
Rep
1,126
Posts

Drives: Jet Black e92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: new york

iTrader: (2)

Caring For BMC Air Filter

I just ordered my BMC air filter from py speed which i am very excited about
I have read that the BMC air filter like many others is an oiled filter, and therefore needs to be cleaned and re oiled periodically.
My question is how often should it be cleaned and re oiled? and is there a DIY on how to do this?
I have already searched and could not find anything on this so please do not flame if it has already been discussed.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2009, 07:17 PM   #2
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
Lemans_Blue_M's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
1,948
Posts

Drives: Lemans Blue M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillon733 View Post
I just ordered my BMC air filter from py speed which i am very excited about
I have read that the BMC air filter like many others is an oiled filter, and therefore needs to be cleaned and re oiled periodically.
My question is how often should it be cleaned and re oiled? and is there a DIY on how to do this?
I have already searched and could not find anything on this so please do not flame if it has already been discussed.
You'll need to clean and re-oil the BMC filter after ~10,000-15,000 miles.

You have to purchase a special cleaning & filter oil kit, that is specifically made for high-performance aftermarket cotton gauze air filters. (K&N, S&B, BMC, AFE, etc.)

Here's a link to a video that describes the cleaning/re-oiling process in detail.

Cleaning and re-oiling DIY video

It's a pretty easy process.
__________________
The best is yet to come...
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2009, 07:32 PM   #3
dillon733
Major
dillon733's Avatar
18
Rep
1,126
Posts

Drives: Jet Black e92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: new york

iTrader: (2)

thanks that helped a lot. seems very easy.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2009, 08:42 PM   #4
FifthStreetz
O! So Sour!!
FifthStreetz's Avatar
United_States
206
Rep
15,583
Posts

Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Fort Lee, NJ

iTrader: (24)

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post
You'll need to clean and re-oil the BMC filter after ~10,000-15,000 miles.

You have to purchase a special cleaning & filter oil kit, that is specifically made for high-performance aftermarket cotton gauze air filters. (K&N, S&B, BMC, AFE, etc.)

Here's a link to a video that describes the cleaning/re-oiling process in detail.

Cleaning and re-oiling DIY video

It's a pretty easy process.
Thanks!

Im guessing that works for machet scnell oiled air filters too..
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2009, 09:04 PM   #5
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
Lemans_Blue_M's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
1,948
Posts

Drives: Lemans Blue M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FifthStreetz View Post
Thanks!

Im guessing that works for machet scnell oiled air filters too..
yes.
__________________
The best is yet to come...
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2009, 11:12 PM   #6
pepper
Second Lieutenant
5
Rep
262
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 0 degrees

iTrader: (1)

I just toss out every year, and buy a new one..
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2009, 01:23 AM   #7
henryyxyu
Captain
No_Country
18
Rep
600
Posts

Drives: E90 M3, F22 228i
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper View Post
I just toss out every year, and buy a new one..
+1 lol. I'm always too lazy to re-oil it xD
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2009, 12:26 PM   #8
STALKER
Brigadier General
52
Rep
3,717
Posts

Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, ON

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper View Post
I just toss out every year, and buy a new one..
I hate to admit to it, but thats what I do generally.
I replace it each spring.
__________________

2013 991 C4S-SOLD
2012 Golf R
2010 GT3
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:57 AM.




m3post
m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST