BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications
 
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-14-2009, 12:31 AM   #1
C17MooseDriver
Captain
C17MooseDriver's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
868
Posts

 
Drives: E92 AW M3 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Antonio, TX

iTrader: (0)

Angel iBright v2 installation

First off, this isn't a review of EAS. They're customer service, for the most part has been good. Although, selling a product of inferior quality and design does tarnish their reputation a bit.

After both my AiBs failed, I finally got a whole new set with the updated drivers. It took about 2.5 months but I was hoping this would solve my problems.

Now that I've installed these things about 5-6 times, I've gotten very good at it. The first time, it took about 15 mins for each side, now I can install the whole thing in about 2 minutes per side.

The first quality issue I noticed was that the LEDs weren't secured in the housing. Whatever adhesive they used, wore out and the LEDs were just hanging from the wires. This was on both LEDs. WTF? Don't they even look at these before they send them out. My original set had the wires seperated from the LEDs and I had to solder them back on.

Ok, no big deal I thought. I installed the left side first. It was quick, and the new drivers were very straightforward to install. I go on to turn the lights on, nothing. Ok, maybe I got a bad connection. Rewire everything, then still nada. I switch drivers, still nothing. I try the stock bulb and it lights up. Again, WTF. I wire the other LED and it works, so that means that first LED is kaput and there isn't anything I can do to fix it.

I can't in good conscience, ever recommend this product. It is way too expensive, unreliable, and (besides the CNC machined parts) is very poorly made. There are several other alternatives that are both cheaper and more reliable. I'm done with AIB and will be asking for a complete refund.

Hopefully others will have better luck, but I give up. I've wasted too much time and effort on this POS.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 09:11 AM   #2
montreal red
chris
montreal red's Avatar
Canada
146
Rep
12,127
Posts

 
Drives: White Boat
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (31)

Send a message via MSN to montreal red
damn that sucks.... i was just thinking that i might switch my mtec bulbs to AiB... so what other good solutions are there now ? lux?
__________________

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2013 GLK350
997.1 GT3RS (gone)
2009 WRX STI (gone)
e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 09:48 AM   #3
markymarc1979
Colonel
markymarc1979's Avatar
Canada
48
Rep
2,097
Posts

 
Drives: 10 P TURBO + 12 750 + 09 E93
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Oakville, Ontario

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2009 BMW E93  [0.00]
2012 BMW 750xi  [0.00]
I went with Camaross' HID kit. not a bad kit, but he sent me two different color bulbs. I've been waiting over two weeks for replacements.

Last edited by markymarc1979; 10-14-2009 at 03:40 PM.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 10:04 AM   #4
leemik
Major
United_States
48
Rep
1,345
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 LRP M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Quincy, MA

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [4.75]
I've been pretty happy with my LUX H8 kit after going through 2 sets of RD LEDs and 1 set of GP Thunders...

Jury is still out on long term durability though as they just came out.. but they are holding up well so far and still as bright as when I put them in..
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 10:06 AM   #5
SlammedR8
Brigadier General
SlammedR8's Avatar
Canada
121
Rep
4,937
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 Audi R8 V10 +2013 Audi S4
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (2)

Send a message via MSN to SlammedR8
LUX FTW. I've had them for about 3 months now or maybe more, probably closer to 4 months actually. Never had an issue, they always work, theyre always bright. I couldn't be happier with them!

Go LUX, I think its a no brainer at this point!
__________________
2010 Audi R8 V10 Coupe 6MT-White on Red
GMG Exhaust | H&R Springs | H&R Spacers | Carbonio Intake | UniTronic ECU Upgrade| 15% Tints/50% Windshield|LED License Plate
2013 Range Rover Sport-Black on Black
Stock with 15% Tint & 50% Windshield
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 10:21 AM   #6
bunnn
Colonel
bunnn's Avatar
35
Rep
2,260
Posts

 
Drives: like a grandma
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (12)

I agree about the AiB kits quality...besides the nice machine parts I was almost amazed at how poorly some of the things are designed/made...harness and the pins being one of them ...i've had them fail on me before, got them replaced but waited for the new harnesses to arrive...

the install was still as easy as the first time, but to have the harness sticking around outside the cap makes me cringe when it rains....

EAS

AiB
__________________
Cheers
Ben
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 11:30 AM   #7
chungdae
The Asian Sensation
chungdae's Avatar
United_States
16
Rep
701
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 Alpine White M3, S1000RR
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Miami, FL

iTrader: (2)

Well I received my AiB from EAS and the metal cooling unit was missing the allen screw. I called EAS and they are sending me a new one as we speak. So far I have no issues with them at all. I love the way they look and IMO they are the perfect brightness.
__________________
2001 Audi S4: RIP
2008, Infiniti G37S: Traded
2009 Honda CBR1000RR Sold
2009 BMW M3: Current
2011 BMW S1000RR: Current
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 11:35 AM   #8
Kev
Resident Anesthesiologist
Kev's Avatar
Hong Kong
180
Rep
8,815
Posts

 
Drives: VW bug with a misplaced engine
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (24)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnn View Post
I agree about the AiB kits quality...besides the nice machine parts I was almost amazed at how poorly some of the things are designed/made...harness and the pins being one of them ...i've had them fail on me before, got them replaced but waited for the new harnesses to arrive...

the install was still as easy as the first time, but to have the harness sticking around outside the cap makes me cringe when it rains....

EAS

AiB
AiB had been throwing their business cards on Bimmers on Newbury Street when I was in Boston. Not the most upscale marketing efforts I would say. Plus, their product sucked compared to the HID kit or LUX.
__________________
kev { divinum est sedate dolorem }
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 11:38 AM   #9
mds82
Major General
mds82's Avatar
128
Rep
5,858
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 325xi
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: South Central Connecticut

iTrader: (40)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to mds82 Send a message via Yahoo to mds82
Quote:
Originally Posted by C17MooseDriver View Post
the LEDs weren't secured in the housing. Whatever adhesive they used, wore out and the LEDs were just hanging from the wires.
I just want to make a general comment about LED's in General here.
With any High Power LED, no matter what it is, no matter where its used, etc - it needs to have a Secure connection to the heat sink. If for some reason Any LED is loose from the heat sink material, it will have a life span of 10 seconds or less if its turned on. Just keep that in mind when using High Power LED's
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 12:10 PM   #10
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
tom @ eas's Avatar
United_States
327
Rep
10,630
Posts


 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

iTrader: (13)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by C17MooseDriver View Post
First off, this isn't a review of EAS. They're customer service, for the most part has been good. Although, selling a product of inferior quality and design does tarnish their reputation a bit.

After both my AiBs failed, I finally got a whole new set with the updated drivers. It took about 2.5 months but I was hoping this would solve my problems.

Now that I've installed these things about 5-6 times, I've gotten very good at it. The first time, it took about 15 mins for each side, now I can install the whole thing in about 2 minutes per side.

The first quality issue I noticed was that the LEDs weren't secured in the housing. Whatever adhesive they used, wore out and the LEDs were just hanging from the wires. This was on both LEDs. WTF? Don't they even look at these before they send them out. My original set had the wires seperated from the LEDs and I had to solder them back on.

Ok, no big deal I thought. I installed the left side first. It was quick, and the new drivers were very straightforward to install. I go on to turn the lights on, nothing. Ok, maybe I got a bad connection. Rewire everything, then still nada. I switch drivers, still nothing. I try the stock bulb and it lights up. Again, WTF. I wire the other LED and it works, so that means that first LED is kaput and there isn't anything I can do to fix it.

I can't in good conscience, ever recommend this product. It is way too expensive, unreliable, and (besides the CNC machined parts) is very poorly made. There are several other alternatives that are both cheaper and more reliable. I'm done with AIB and will be asking for a complete refund.

Hopefully others will have better luck, but I give up. I've wasted too much time and effort on this POS.
mds82 is correct on this point, this would sound like the heatsink either not being used or not properly attached to the lightsource. We have a DIY video that will be released later today as an overview to the pictorial to what was posted earlier - only with the updated DriverPacks.

When the kit is returned, we'll be able to tell during the inspection process. Contact me directly for instructions on how to return the kit.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 01:15 PM   #11
C17MooseDriver
Captain
C17MooseDriver's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
868
Posts

 
Drives: E92 AW M3 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Antonio, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mds82 View Post
I just want to make a general comment about LED's in General here.
With any High Power LED, no matter what it is, no matter where its used, etc - it needs to have a Secure connection to the heat sink. If for some reason Any LED is loose from the heat sink material, it will have a life span of 10 seconds or less if its turned on. Just keep that in mind when using High Power LED's
You're absolutely right. That's why I was shocked to see both LEDs not even attached to anything. This LED had a lifespan of 0 seconds, since it never even turned on.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 01:30 PM   #12
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
tom @ eas's Avatar
United_States
327
Rep
10,630
Posts


 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

iTrader: (13)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by C17MooseDriver View Post
You're absolutely right. That's why I was shocked to see both LEDs not even attached to anything. This LED had a lifespan of 0 seconds, since it never even turned on.
We've never had an issue with the LED coming detached from the lightsource from overheating - this is why the oversized heatsink is supplied, it's an additional margin of safety.

With the number of AiB kits on the market (in the hundreds), this type of problem would have come up sooner or much more frequently. Another possibility could be the LED wires were pulled during installation - creating too much heat in a centralized location for the heatsink to properly dissipate.

Here's a quick overwiew on how the AiB is installed using the v2 DriverPacks:



As with all returns, the kit will be inspected once received to find out what happened.
__________________

Last edited by tom @ eas; 10-15-2009 at 11:14 AM.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 03:16 PM   #13
psuwcc112
Lieutenant
psuwcc112's Avatar
5
Rep
460
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 SSII M3 coupe
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: North CA

iTrader: (3)

I cant view the video...why does the video say to be private only?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 03:23 PM   #14
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
tom @ eas's Avatar
United_States
327
Rep
10,630
Posts


 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

iTrader: (13)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by psuwcc112 View Post
I cant view the video...why does the video say to be private only?
Check again - all seems well on this end.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 03:34 PM   #15
gthirtyfizle
Colonel
gthirtyfizle's Avatar
83
Rep
2,808
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3 AW
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NYC

iTrader: (4)

LUX FTMFW
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 10:01 PM   #16
C17MooseDriver
Captain
C17MooseDriver's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
868
Posts

 
Drives: E92 AW M3 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Antonio, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
We've never had an issue with the LED coming detached from the lightsource from overheating - this is why the oversized heatsink is supplied, it's an additional margin of safety.

With the number of AiB kits on the market (in the hundreds), this type of problem would have come up sooner or much more frequently. Another possibility could be the LED wires were pulled during installation - creating too much heat in a centralized location for the heatsink to properly dissipate.

Here's a quick overwiew on how the AiB is installed using the v2 DriverPacks:



As with all returns, the kit will be inspected once received to find out what happened.
Tom I PMed you but no response. I asked for a refund from Katie but she then emailed me back asking if I wanted to return my kit to get it checked out. Not quite sure what I didn't make clear when I said it was inoperative and I wanted a refund and refund only.

Plus, the LEDs were already detached when I opened the packaging, not from installation. I glued it back on, but I'm not sure that would be a proper way to dissipate any heat.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 10:15 PM   #17
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
tom @ eas's Avatar
United_States
327
Rep
10,630
Posts


 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

iTrader: (13)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by C17MooseDriver View Post
Tom I PMed you but no response. I asked for a refund from Katie but she then emailed me back asking if I wanted to return my kit to get it checked out. Not quite sure what I didn't make clear when I said it was inoperative and I wanted a refund and refund only.

Plus, the LEDs were already detached when I opened the packaging, not from installation. I glued it back on, but I'm not sure that would be a proper way to dissipate any heat.
Thermal grease is used on the LEDs to properly transfer heat to the supplied heatsink. Simply gluing a LED to the fixture is a real problem, and possibly the cause of what exactly happened if there was no grease left over.

As stated in my last post - all items that are claimed defective are inspected once received to find out the cause.

We'll follow up with your case by email when the kit is received and testing is complete.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 10:27 PM   #18
C17MooseDriver
Captain
C17MooseDriver's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
868
Posts

 
Drives: E92 AW M3 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Antonio, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Thermal grease is used on the LEDs to properly transfer heat to the supplied heatsink. Simply gluing a LED to the fixture is a real problem, and possibly the cause of what exactly happened if there was no grease left over.

As stated in my last post - all items that are claimed defective are inspected once received to find out the cause.

We'll follow up with your case by email when the kit is received and testing is complete.
Just been told no refund, but they'll exchange my kit for a new set. Not the exact outcome I was looking for, but still acceptable. Hopefully, the third times the charm.

Just to clarify, the LED never overheated or even worked. It was defective from the get go.
__________________

Last edited by C17MooseDriver; 10-14-2009 at 11:06 PM.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 11:39 PM   #19
SlammedR8
Brigadier General
SlammedR8's Avatar
Canada
121
Rep
4,937
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 Audi R8 V10 +2013 Audi S4
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (2)

Send a message via MSN to SlammedR8
wow!

a little surprised, i would have thought they would refund it ASAP once posted like this on the forum. Im quite surprised by this.
__________________
2010 Audi R8 V10 Coupe 6MT-White on Red
GMG Exhaust | H&R Springs | H&R Spacers | Carbonio Intake | UniTronic ECU Upgrade| 15% Tints/50% Windshield|LED License Plate
2013 Range Rover Sport-Black on Black
Stock with 15% Tint & 50% Windshield
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 11:58 PM   #20
DevJ
Colonel
DevJ's Avatar
35
Rep
2,712
Posts

 
Drives: '14 Cayman S/IS350/RRS
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tulsa, OK

iTrader: (1)

Vid's gone and would like it back up please! Thanks
__________________
E92 M3. SOLD
New: '14 Cayman S PDK
Incoming: GT-R Black Edition
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 09:23 AM   #21
markymarc1979
Colonel
markymarc1979's Avatar
Canada
48
Rep
2,097
Posts

 
Drives: 10 P TURBO + 12 750 + 09 E93
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Oakville, Ontario

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2009 BMW E93  [0.00]
2012 BMW 750xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by C17MooseDriver View Post
Just been told no refund, but they'll exchange my kit for a new set. Not the exact outcome I was looking for, but still acceptable. Hopefully, the third times the charm.

Just to clarify, the LED never overheated or even worked. It was defective from the get go.
Wow definitely not a vendor I would do business with.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 11:15 AM   #22
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
tom @ eas's Avatar
United_States
327
Rep
10,630
Posts


 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

iTrader: (13)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevJ View Post
Vid's gone and would like it back up please! Thanks
Video has been reupped with a higher resolution version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C17MooseDriver View Post
Just been told no refund, but they'll exchange my kit for a new set. Not the exact outcome I was looking for, but still acceptable. Hopefully, the third times the charm.

Just to clarify, the LED never overheated or even worked. It was defective from the get go.
You have email following our PM last night.
__________________
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:07 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST