BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing
 
BPM Sport
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-14-2013, 05:49 PM   #155
dparm
Major
 
dparm's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chicago, IL

Posts: 1,406
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billj747 View Post
You have the best wear #s of any analysis sofar for a car using TWS. Zero lead and 1-2ppm of copper is excellent!

The only person with more miles and 0 lead is using Redline oil.

Have you always used TWS? What part of the country do you live in? What warmup procedure do you use? Ever tracked your car? How often does your car see redline?

My numbers were the same and I have about 50k on the clock. Don't think I posted it to this thread:



OIL Castrol Edge Professional TWS 10w60
MILES IN USE 5,012
MILES 48,366
SAMPLE TAKEN 8/21/13

ALUMINUM 3
CHROMIUM 0
IRON 5
COPPER 3
LEAD 0
TIN 3
MOLYBDENUM 49
NICKEL 0
MANGANESE 1
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 11
POTASSIUM 0
BORON 46
SILICON 3
SODIUM 3
CALCIUM 2534
MAGNESIUM 62
PHOSPHORUS 876
ZINC 962
BARIUM 0

SUS VIS 210F 88.4
cSt @ 212F 17.60
FLASHPOINT F 385
FUEL <0.5
ANTIFREEZE 0.0
WATER 0.0
INSOLUBLES 0.2


TBN 3.1
TAN 3.6
__________________
2011.5 AW M3 sedan ZCP
dparm is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-14-2013, 06:49 PM   #156
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
 
thekurgan's Avatar
 
Drives: E90M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento

Posts: 2,673
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
My numbers were the same and I have about 50k on the clock. Don't think I posted it to this thread:



OIL Castrol Edge Professional TWS 10w60
MILES IN USE 5,012
MILES 48,366
SAMPLE TAKEN 8/21/13

ALUMINUM 3
CHROMIUM 0
IRON 5
COPPER 3
LEAD 0
TIN 3
MOLYBDENUM 49
NICKEL 0
MANGANESE 1
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 11
POTASSIUM 0
BORON 46
SILICON 3
SODIUM 3
CALCIUM 2534
MAGNESIUM 62
PHOSPHORUS 876
ZINC 962
BARIUM 0

SUS VIS 210F 88.4
cSt @ 212F 17.60
FLASHPOINT F 385
FUEL <0.5
ANTIFREEZE 0.0
WATER 0.0
INSOLUBLES 0.2


TBN 3.1
TAN 3.6
Good numbers, and another TWS with moly lower than I've seen in previous.
__________________

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Carbon/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/Rattle fixes
thekurgan is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-14-2013, 08:01 PM   #157
dparm
Major
 
dparm's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chicago, IL

Posts: 1,406
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
Good numbers, and another TWS with moly lower than I've seen in previous.
Eh, not really. There will be some minor variation from batch to batch. Below is a VOA, and from what I saw in other VOAs, it's always <200:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=2990864
__________________
2011.5 AW M3 sedan ZCP
dparm is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-15-2013, 03:56 AM   #158
e92zero
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 E92 BW
Join Date: May 2010
Location: somewhere in US

Posts: 534
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billj747 View Post
You have the best wear #s of any analysis sofar for a car using TWS. Zero lead and 1-2ppm of copper is excellent!

The only person with more miles and 0 lead is using Redline oil.

Have you always used TWS? What part of the country do you live in? What warmup procedure do you use? Ever tracked your car? How often does your car see redline?
Thanks. I am in the bay area on west coast. Always TWS on 91 octane but will switch to M1 0-40 on the next change. The MOLYBDENUM and Titanium went up after Castrol switched to the EDGE version. Car is 95%+ freeway driven, daily driver. Always tried to stay below 3k rpm (never exceeded 3.5k) before oil reaches around 210, not based on the moving redline. Never tracked, redlined here and there. Oil change at 7500 miles interval as shown from the oil analysis.

A side thing that I have noticed during oil change. Not sure if it's relevant or maybe everyone know this already. On the first 2 oil changes, I fill up all 9L of oil in the engine while leaving the oil filter canister dry. The first start after that the car is very rough for a good 5-10 seconds. On later oil change, I put the oil filter element in and fill that canister (slowly) with about 2 liters of oil first so the filter element is soaked and there is oil in there. No more rough starts and rattling sound if I do it this way.

Last edited by e92zero; 11-15-2013 at 04:01 AM.
e92zero is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-15-2013, 09:02 AM   #159
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
 
thekurgan's Avatar
 
Drives: E90M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento

Posts: 2,673
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Eh, not really. There will be some minor variation from batch to batch. Below is a VOA, and from what I saw in other VOAs, it's always <200:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=2990864
I've been seeing triple digit levels and some double digit levels, maybe it's sacrificial like the zinc.
__________________

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Carbon/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/Rattle fixes
thekurgan is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-15-2013, 10:18 AM   #160
warp10
Captain
 
warp10's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3 Jet Black:ZCP, ZCV, ZP
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Atlanta, Ga

Posts: 666
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2011 M3  [5.00]
2011 28i X3  [0.00]
Any insight would be great here guys. Thanks. Also after this oil change my valve cover gaskets are having to be replaced if that helps at all.



Adam
__________________

2011 E92 M3 Coupe Jet Black ZCP: aFe High Flow Filter, AA Race X-Pipe, UUC Corsa Exhaust, Evolve Stage 2 Tune w/ Servo and DCT, BMW Performance Electric Steering Wheel V2, CF Spoiler, and GT4 Front Splitter, APR GT-250, Stoptech ST-60, KW Clubsports, Apex ARC-8, 275 NT01, Sparco Ergo Seats, Alekshop Cage

Last edited by warp10; 02-06-2014 at 11:21 PM.
warp10 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-15-2013, 11:03 AM   #161
W///
Brigadier General
 
W///'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3/1999 E36 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

Posts: 4,699
iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by warp10 View Post
Any insight would be great here guys. Thanks. Also after this oil change my valve cover gaskets are having to be replaced if that helps at all.



Adam
I think you are OK. Lead is perfect, Copper is a tad above average. I'd keep the oil interval on the shorter side (especially since you track) and get another reading and see how it looks then.
__________________
2008 E92 M3: Sparkling Graphite | Bamboo Beige | 6MT | CF Roof | HRE | Eisenmann | BPM Sport | Swift | Arkym | Mode Carbon | M.Perf
W/// is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-15-2013, 11:09 AM   #162
Billj747
Lieutenant
 
Billj747's Avatar
 
Drives: Everything
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Wellington, FL

Posts: 415
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Billj747
Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Eh, not really. There will be some minor variation from batch to batch. Below is a VOA, and from what I saw in other VOAs, it's always <200:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=2990864
I have over 40 TWS samples:

6 of them have >200ppm of moly, >40ppm of Titanium, >3000ppm of Cal, <300 Mag
18 have 100-200ppm of moly, 23-42ppm Ti, >2000ppm Cal, <300 Mag
20 have less than 10ppm of moly, 0ppm Ti, <2000ppm Cal, >550 Mag

I'm trying to figure out which ones are the old TWS and which ones are the new Edge Pro TWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92zero View Post
Thanks. I am in the bay area on west coast. Always TWS on 91 octane but will switch to M1 0-40 on the next change. The MOLYBDENUM and Titanium went up after Castrol switched to the EDGE version. Car is 95%+ freeway driven, daily driver. Always tried to stay below 3k rpm (never exceeded 3.5k) before oil reaches around 210, not based on the moving redline. Never tracked, redlined here and there. Oil change at 7500 miles interval as shown from the oil analysis.

A side thing that I have noticed during oil change. Not sure if it's relevant or maybe everyone know this already. On the first 2 oil changes, I fill up all 9L of oil in the engine while leaving the oil filter canister dry. The first start after that the car is very rough for a good 5-10 seconds. On later oil change, I put the oil filter element in and fill that canister (slowly) with about 2 liters of oil first so the filter element is soaked and there is oil in there. No more rough starts and rattling sound if I do it this way.
Do you know if the last 2 changes were with TWS or EDGE Professional TWS?

Thanks for the details on your driving habits, they seem to be taking care of the motor very well. I tend to pour oil into the filter housing too. There should be a check-valve in there so adding oil here should prevent a brief oil starvation/rough running when you fire the motor up after an oil change.
__________________
Billj747 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-15-2013, 11:10 AM   #163
italyix
Lieutenant
 
italyix's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E90 M3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bay Area

Posts: 520
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
I think you are OK. Lead is perfect, Copper is a tad above average. I'd keep the oil interval on the shorter side (especially since you track) and get another reading and see how it looks then.
Lead is 0 because there is no lead on the bearings. Its a 2011 which had the revised bearings without lead to conform with EU laws.
italyix is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-15-2013, 11:16 AM   #164
warp10
Captain
 
warp10's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3 Jet Black:ZCP, ZCV, ZP
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Atlanta, Ga

Posts: 666
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2011 M3  [5.00]
2011 28i X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by W///
Quote:
Originally Posted by warp10 View Post
Any insight would be great here guys. Thanks. Also after this oil change my valve cover gaskets are having to be replaced if that helps at all.



Adam
I think you are OK. Lead is perfect, Copper is a tad above average. I'd keep the oil interval on the shorter side (especially since you track) and get another reading and see how it looks then.
Thanks for the insights. And yes going to shorten the interval of changes.
__________________

2011 E92 M3 Coupe Jet Black ZCP: aFe High Flow Filter, AA Race X-Pipe, UUC Corsa Exhaust, Evolve Stage 2 Tune w/ Servo and DCT, BMW Performance Electric Steering Wheel V2, CF Spoiler, and GT4 Front Splitter, APR GT-250, Stoptech ST-60, KW Clubsports, Apex ARC-8, 275 NT01, Sparco Ergo Seats, Alekshop Cage
warp10 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-15-2013, 11:46 AM   #165
Billj747
Lieutenant
 
Billj747's Avatar
 
Drives: Everything
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Wellington, FL

Posts: 415
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Billj747
Quote:
Originally Posted by italyix View Post
Lead is 0 because there is no lead on the bearings. Its a 2011 which had the revised bearings without lead to conform with EU laws.
FWIW:

Aussie M3 has a '11 with 2ppm of lead.
Russ '11 - 28ppm of lead
And there's a 2012 with 3ppm of lead.
__________________
Billj747 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-15-2013, 01:58 PM   #166
e92zero
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 E92 BW
Join Date: May 2010
Location: somewhere in US

Posts: 534
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billj747 View Post
I have over 40 TWS samples:

6 of them have >200ppm of moly, >40ppm of Titanium, >3000ppm of Cal, <300 Mag
18 have 100-200ppm of moly, 23-42ppm Ti, >2000ppm Cal, <300 Mag
20 have less than 10ppm of moly, 0ppm Ti, <2000ppm Cal, >550 Mag

I'm trying to figure out which ones are the old TWS and which ones are the new Edge Pro TWS


Do you know if the last 2 changes were with TWS or EDGE Professional TWS?

Thanks for the details on your driving habits, they seem to be taking care of the motor very well. I tend to pour oil into the filter housing too. There should be a check-valve in there so adding oil here should prevent a brief oil starvation/rough running when you fire the motor up after an oil change.

Np. Just want to report back to the community as I gained a lot a lot of knowledge here. The least I can do to help. The last few changes since 37,659 were all EDGE. Where the increase of Moly and Ti showed up on the analysis from the 44,978 report on.
e92zero is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-15-2013, 02:04 PM   #167
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
 
thekurgan's Avatar
 
Drives: E90M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento

Posts: 2,673
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by italyix View Post
Lead is 0 because there is no lead on the bearings. Its a 2011 which had the revised bearings without lead to conform with EU laws.
Wow, I didn't know it was for the environment.
__________________

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Carbon/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/Rattle fixes
thekurgan is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-15-2013, 02:08 PM   #168
e92zero
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 E92 BW
Join Date: May 2010
Location: somewhere in US

Posts: 534
iTrader: (0)

I will dig up the older oil analysis report later and report back. I might indeed have the newer non-lead bearings. I remember I have some level of TIN and never really have any lead in my reports.
e92zero is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-17-2013, 04:31 PM   #169
Billj747
Lieutenant
 
Billj747's Avatar
 
Drives: Everything
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Wellington, FL

Posts: 415
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Billj747
I'm really happy with my results having just bought the car:

2009 E90 M3 DCT
51,219 miles
Texas Car (now in NC)
TWS its whole life - I'm not sure which TWS this is due to the very low levels of Moly, Tin, Calcium, Phos & Zinc



From my records of ~50 UOAs, my car has the least amount of lead for >50K miles that's not a 2011. Dylan's 09 has 20K more on the clock and only 1ppm more lead so I hope my has continued health.

Here's the updated plots of Lead and Copper (note the low Lead values >50K are 2011 cars:

__________________
Billj747 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-02-2013, 05:03 PM   #170
apecush
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Edmonton

Posts: 434
iTrader: (2)

Received my blackstone analysis today and the results look good. Not the greatest filtration, but that could be how the filter was sitting in the housing. FYI, this car sees all extremes - >270F temps at the track and -20F cold starts in winter. The only precautions I take are that I rarely start the car unless I'll be warming it up fully, I don't idle I just start and drive away, and throttle always <50% and <4000 RPM until the redline starts moving up.

Edit for add'l information - still on original software flash.


Last edited by apecush; 12-02-2013 at 10:21 PM.
apecush is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-02-2013, 07:16 PM   #171
dparm
Major
 
dparm's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chicago, IL

Posts: 1,406
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by apecush View Post
Received my blackstone analysis today and the results look good. Not the greatest filtration, but that could be how the filter was sitting in the housing. FYI, this car sees all extremes - >270F temps at the track and -20F cold starts in winter. The only precautions I take are that I rarely start the car unless I'll be warming it up fully, I don't idle I just start and drive away, and throttle always <50% and <4000 RPM until the redline starts moving up.

The long change interval doesn't seem to be a problem, but I suggest getting TBN + TAN next time. Silicon is probably just from an air filter not properly seated in the airbox or something stupid. I suggest a visual inspection to confirm.
__________________
2011.5 AW M3 sedan ZCP
dparm is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-06-2013, 09:20 AM   #172
SYZ
Lieutenant
 
SYZ's Avatar
 
Drives: :O
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Scottsdale

Posts: 459
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Here's mine,

SYZ is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-06-2013, 09:27 AM   #173
dparm
Major
 
dparm's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chicago, IL

Posts: 1,406
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYZ View Post
Here's mine,
Looks good, but as I've suggested to others, pay for TBN & TAN on the next one to see if the oil is becoming too acidic.
__________________
2011.5 AW M3 sedan ZCP
dparm is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-09-2013, 10:44 AM   #174
apecush
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Edmonton

Posts: 434
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
The long change interval doesn't seem to be a problem, but I suggest getting TBN + TAN next time. Silicon is probably just from an air filter not properly seated in the airbox or something stupid. I suggest a visual inspection to confirm.
that's 12000 km, not miles, so half the prescribed interval.
apecush is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-12-2013, 07:11 PM   #175
Exclusivs
Major
 
Exclusivs's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: AZ

Posts: 1,070
iTrader: (16)

Questions:

How fresh does the oil sample need to be?

and

How important is it to be middle of the pour out, not the beginning or end

Thanks guys
Exclusivs is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-12-2013, 08:26 PM   #176
JEllis
Brigadier General
 
JEllis's Avatar
 
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SD CA/Yuma

Posts: 4,645
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exclusivs View Post
Questions:

How fresh does the oil sample need to be?

and

How important is it to be middle of the pour out, not the beginning or end

Thanks guys
Ideally you should sample the oil directly as it drains from the block mid stream. This gives the best sense as to the particulates that are in the oil and circulating. If you were to sample the oil after it is in the collection pan, you might get a slightly skewed sample as things settle.
__________________
http://www.m3post.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic14547_7.gif
JEllis is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:54 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST