BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Strasse Forged

Yesterday, 02:33 AM   #1
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Motul Sport 5w50

Has anyone tried this oil in their E92 M3? I've always believed a quality 5w50 would be the idea oil for this car and something BMW would have spec'd for the car if one existed back in 2007.

I regard Motul as a premium oil. I wish it were a 300v, but it's either 10w40 or 15w50. Unfortunately, it looks like this oil is not available for sale in the US for some reason, but I'm sure it could be sourced.

https://www.motul.com/system/product...pdf?1323963250

https://www.motul.com/us/en-US/produ...ts/sport-5w50?
      Today, 09:55 AM   #2
dparm
But doctor...I am Pagliacci.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3

Fairly unremarkable oil, IMO. No idea what it would cost to get here, but unless it's really cheap I feel like you can do much better.
      Today, 01:35 PM   #3
M3 Number 86
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black m3

liquimoly 10w60
Appreciate 0
      Today, 02:16 PM   #4
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Fairly unremarkable oil, IMO. No idea what it would cost to get here, but unless it's really cheap I feel like you can do much better.
Think so? Bummer. Have you seen any VOAs? I'd like to know what the ad pack looks like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
liquimoly 10w60
Really? I love LM, but their 10w60 is even thicker than Castrol TWS!
      Today, 02:42 PM   #5
dparm
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan View Post
Think so? Bummer. Have you seen any VOAs? I'd like to know what the ad pack looks like.

Have not seen any VOAs because it is not a common oil. There were some chats about it on BITOG but no one seemed that impressed; the consensus seemed to be that if you were going to spend more money than the standard 8100-series of Motul oils, you may as well just go to the 300V halo product.

What is it about this oil that interests you?
      Today, 04:09 PM   #6
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Have not seen any VOAs because it is not a common oil. There were some chats about it on BITOG but no one seemed that impressed; the consensus seemed to be that if you were going to spend more money than the standard 8100-series of Motul oils, you may as well just go to the 300V halo product.

What is it about this oil that interests you?
Just the weight specifically. I really love the concept of a 5w50 in this car. My M3 sits awhile between drives these days and the cold starts are so rough and it takes forever to warm up. But, at the other extreme, I don't want to sacrifice too much high-heat, high-shear protection as the car sees the track on occasion.

A Motul 300v 5w50 would be a godsend, IMO, but there's no such luck there. I've considered running Redline 5w50 but there is so much controversy about Redline as a general matter that I am timid.

I will continue to run Castrol TWS until I find something better, but I am definitely open to a premium boutique oil given that I only change it once a year.
      Today, 04:24 PM   #7
RoundelObsession
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: S65M3

Quote:
Just the weight specifically. I really love the concept of a 5w50 in this car. My M3 sits awhile between drives these days and the cold starts are so rough and it takes forever to warm up. But, at the other extreme, I don't want to sacrifice too much high-heat, high-shear protection as the car sees the track on occasion.

A Motul 300v 5w50 would be a godsend, IMO, but there's no such luck there. I've considered running Redline 5w50 but there is so much controversy about Redline as a general matter that I am timid.

I will continue to run Castrol TWS until I find something better, but I am definitely open to a premium boutique oil given that I only change it once a year.
Are you running original rod bearings?
Appreciate 0
      Today, 05:04 PM   #8
dparm
United_States
Rep

Quote:

What is it about a 50-weight that interests you? Or rather, what is it about 60-weight that turns you off?

Also, what "controversy" is there around Red Line?
      Today, 08:45 PM   #9
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What is it about a 50-weight that interests you? Or rather, what is it about 60-weight that turns you off?

It's less the 50 versus the 60 and more the 5 versus the 10. Put differently, a quality ester-based 5w50 would seem to offer roughly the same high-stress protection of operational TWS (you seem to say it's ~4.5 HTHS) but with better cold flow and thus less wear and tear at startup temps.

Also, what "controversy" is there around Red Line?
Lots of anecdotal comments. Nothing specific, just "I won't ever use Redline products" type of stuff. Here is an example:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...47&postcount=6

I've seen other, similar comments on here but don't have the time to comb through the forum for them. I've seen them on BITOG, too. I don't know if it is a reputational thing as in they distrust the company or think the technology is outdated, or what. The oils look fabulous on paper, but it seems like there is something about Redline that evokes strong, negative reactions from a number of seemingly knowledgeable people.