BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

European Auto Source

03-04-2017, 11:33 PM   #1
jarrett
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

New M3 Owner - Engine Oil Too High

I know there are a few topics on this so sorry if it's answered elsewhere...

So I just got my car Tuesday, 2011 E90 M3. Been reading up on it and decided to run an oil check. Today(Saturday), it told me there was TOO MUCH oil in the car. The meter is at the max. From reading, it seems the car should NOT be driven in this condition.

I need to make a roughly 30 mile trip in the car tomorrow morning, don't wanna Uber it. The dealer can fix for free since I just purchased it but I'd have to wait at least until Monday or later since the service dept. is closed.

I don't have a jack or the necessary wrenches at the moment(planning on getting those).

I have the following options as I see it:

1) limping it over to one of those quick change oil places in the morning and telling them to drain the front sump for me(dunno how much it'd cost or if they'll even do it, and definitely don't want them to screw up)

2) siphoning the oil myself from the front sump with a cheap hose and a can or something

Any other ideas I'm open too. This just happened and there's a lot to wade through in different forums and threads so just looking for a quick answer from someone.

Thanks for any help!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 11:42 PM   #2
msan
First Lieutenant
Rep

You at max or over max?

Another option is open the oil filter cap and use a siphon or turkey baster to suck out as much oil as you can.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 11:51 PM   #3
jarrett
United_States
Rep

It's over max. The electronic engine meter is full.

I think they decided to "top it off" while they were getting it ready and screwed up.

I found a video on a clean way to siphon using a tube and a syringe. I may do that and just take out everything from the front sump.

Not even a week in and I already miss the dipstick from my 1997 4Runner lol
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 03:25 PM   #4
Locksmythe
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 M3 AW/FR

If it is actually OVER filled you get a specific warning in the fault menu about being overfilled. I believe this is your condition but you can still drive it to the dealer.

If it is just at the max reading, there is nothing to do about it. At max is not dangerous. Just let it go and burn it off with your go pedal. There is a 1 litre range from max to min that you are going to spend your forseeable future toggling between.

You can get a simple siphon for $5 at an autopart store to draw out from under the fill cap. I don't think a turkey baster would work except to remove the smigeon of oil from the oil filter housing, but that requires a 36mm socket to open, which you may not have. You don't need a transfer pump, though.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 09:15 PM   #5
JH M3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3 6MT

If you can get underneath maybe drain the front sump. There are two oil drains. I don't know exactly how much the front one drains out but it can't be more than a liter. Check out the oil change DIY.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185785
      03-16-2017, 12:28 AM   #6
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 M3 6MT, '09 328i 6MT

Go buy some basic tools and drain it out yourself instead of letting some pimply teenager wrench on your M3 at a Midas.

You already know your options, not sure what you're expecting us to tell you.
      03-19-2017, 09:41 PM   #7
roastbeef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

if you take it to a quick change place, they are going to torque the hell out of the drain plug and strip it. buy a filter and a turkey baster. pull and replace the filter (it holds some oil), and suck a little oil out with the turkey baster.

if you try to drain "a little" out of the pan, you'll probably let out too much while making a huge mess.