BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Lux Angel Eyes

09-27-2014, 07:48 AM   #1
schwin

Drives: BMW

Squealing (High Pitch Sound) During Cold Start

All,

Sorry if this is a repost, but I've dug through quite a few threads regarding this similar sound and I need some guidance. I have an 08 M3 6spd with 56k miles. Over the last two months, this sound would arise during cold starts on multiple occasions. The sound goes away after 5 minutes of driving consistently. At first I thought it was the belt, but the belt dressing didn't do anything. My next assumption would be the idler pulleys and tensioner. I took it to my indie last weekend and he couldn't diagnose it right off the bat, but suggested I replace all belts, idler pulleys, and tensioner to be safe.

I held off on it to research more. I came across some power steering fluid threads and decided to check mine. It was low so I went to the store to pick the CH11S fluid and topped it off. This morning the car sounded fine, but I'll monitor it over the coming days. Does this problem sound like it's too soon for any of this stuff break down? I've seen 80-100k mile M3s where the idler pulley or belt needs replaced, nothing under 60k miles. I appreciate everyone's time and thoughts.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/XKDsd7gBgc0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://youtu.be/XKDsd7gBgc0

Last edited by schwin; 09-27-2014 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Adding Youtube Embed
      10-10-2014, 06:19 PM   #2
wuzupfoo
First Lieutenant

Drives: 08 Jet Black MTrizz Cpe

Mine has the same issue and it started around 50K. Does it go away during warm days as well?
Its been really warm in CA this year and so the problem is non-existant since earlier this year when temps were in the 60s.

Last winter I replaced the belts but that didn't solve the problem. Was going to go down the line with the same list of stuff you mentioned and also my indie shop suggested it might be the fan clutch. Only reason I haven't done anything beyond belts is because of the warm temps mentioned above. Im expecting to start replacing stuff whenever it decides to cool down here and the problem comes back.
HRE C20/Remus Race/MS Filter/KWV3/Vorsteiner Diffuser/JL Lip/Murdered Grills/Pinnacle F1 Ceramic/ZCP Wing/Alcantara Wheel/Custom Alcantara Boots/Custom ZCP Shifter/MRF Subframe Bushings/Turner Delrin Diff Bushings

Last edited by wuzupfoo; 10-10-2014 at 06:24 PM.
      10-14-2014, 08:26 PM   #3
schwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuzupfoo
Mine has the same issue and it started around 50K. Does it go away during warm days as well?
Its been really warm in CA this year and so the problem is non-existant since earlier this year when temps were in the 60s.

Last winter I replaced the belts but that didn't solve the problem. Was going to go down the line with the same list of stuff you mentioned and also my indie shop suggested it might be the fan clutch. Only reason I haven't done anything beyond belts is because of the warm temps mentioned above. Im expecting to start replacing stuff whenever it decides to cool down here and the problem comes back.
Fixed mine! It was the idler pulley. 56k miles. Sounds like it. I got mine at ecs tuning OEM
      10-16-2014, 01:36 PM   #4
wuzupfoo
First Lieutenant

Drives: 08 Jet Black MTrizz Cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwin View Post
Fixed mine! It was the idler pulley. 56k miles. Sounds like it. I got mine at ecs tuning OEM
Nice I will try that first.
HRE C20/Remus Race/MS Filter/KWV3/Vorsteiner Diffuser/JL Lip/Murdered Grills/Pinnacle F1 Ceramic/ZCP Wing/Alcantara Wheel/Custom Alcantara Boots/Custom ZCP Shifter/MRF Subframe Bushings/Turner Delrin Diff Bushings
      10-16-2014, 05:19 PM   #5
schwin

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-M3-...ulley/ES21817/