BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
ESS Tuning
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-09-2009, 08:39 PM   #89
badfish
Major
 
badfish's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 AW M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SoCal

Posts: 1,035
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
There's only one thing I have learned in this thread. Don't move to Singapore.
If you knew how much he paid for his M3 over there this statement would be even more true... Here's a used E90 for sale over there.
__________________
badfish is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-09-2009, 09:11 PM   #90
335i2007
Enlisted Member
 
335i2007's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009, E92, M3, AW
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada

Posts: 38
iTrader: (0)

How can an over rev happen with the fuel cut off kicking in? I thought the only way to over rev our engines was to say, shift from 6th gear to 2nd at like 100km causing a mechanical over rev situation. Can't we bang off the rev limiter all day long without damaging the engine when the original stock ecu tuning is still present?

I realize that in this case the car has a DTC transmission and the ecu should not allow the 6th to 2nd gear shift to protect the engine and transmission.
__________________
350Z Sold
335i Sold
2009, E92, M3, AW Sold
2014 Cayman S

Last edited by 335i2007; 10-09-2009 at 09:34 PM.
335i2007 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-09-2009, 09:37 PM   #91
MrHarris
yodog
 
MrHarris's Avatar
 
Drives: '86 Corolla
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Diamond Bar, Ca

Posts: 5,035
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2009 BMW  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to MrHarris
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i2007 View Post
How can an over rev happen with the fuel cut off kicking in? I thought the only way to over rev our engines was to say, shift from 6th gear to 2nd at like 100km causing a mechanical over rev situation. Can't we bang off the rev limiter all day long without damaging the engine when the original stock ecu tuning is still present?

I realize that in this case the car has a DTC transmission and the ecu should not allow the 6th to 2nd gear shift to protect the engine and transmission.
Some tunes raise the rev limiter to 8600 including dinans.
__________________

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
MrHarris is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-09-2009, 09:54 PM   #92
e36jakeo
Captain
 
Drives: 2008 M3 6 Speed MT!
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Northern CA

Posts: 624
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i2007 View Post
How can an over rev happen with the fuel cut off kicking in? I thought the only way to over rev our engines was to say, shift from 6th gear to 2nd at like 100km causing a mechanical over rev situation. Can't we bang off the rev limiter all day long without damaging the engine when the original stock ecu tuning is still present?

I realize that in this case the car has a DTC transmission and the ecu should not allow the 6th to 2nd gear shift to protect the engine and transmission.
I had a rod bearing go in mine when I went to shift from 2nd to 3rd gear and did not get it into gear, went back to throttle momentarily before realizing I was in neutral. The instant I realized I was not in gear I cut the throttle. Going hard to throttle spun the flywheel up, and although there is a fuel cutoff at ~8300 rpm the inertia of the flywheel must have carried the engine to ~8700 RPM. Afterwards I heard an ominous sound clanging in the engine, so I brought it to BMW. When the told me it had been overrevved I argued that I could not have overrevved it since I did not get it into a gear, and the only thing I can think of is the above expanation. BMW specialists determined it was a rod bearing and gave me a brand new engine under warranty,but not before threatening not to cover it due to the overrev.
I am quite surprised such a thing could screw this engine. It has a shorter stroke, and thus less piston speed, than the 3.2L in the E46 M3 that revs nearly as fast.

Final comment: Given the relatively modest gains that a tune provides, I do not think it is worth tuning this engine. BMW told me it would have cost me $25K for a new engine!
__________________
Driving sideways: It's not faster, but damn it's more fun!
e36jakeo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-10-2009, 05:19 AM   #93
SenorFunkyPants
Colonel
 
SenorFunkyPants's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 DCT M3
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK

Posts: 2,270
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36jakeo View Post
Going hard to throttle spun the flywheel up, and although there is a fuel cutoff at ~8300 rpm the inertia of the flywheel must have carried the engine to ~8700 RPM.
I don't think it works like that...the moment you cut the fuel the engine stops accelerating.
SenorFunkyPants is online now   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      10-10-2009, 05:33 AM   #94
MrHarris
yodog
 
MrHarris's Avatar
 
Drives: '86 Corolla
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Diamond Bar, Ca

Posts: 5,035
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2009 BMW  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to MrHarris
Once you hit 8400rpm the fuel cuts. When I'm trying to go fast I shift at 8300 because when I shift at 8400 I hit the fuel cutoff and my car bogs.
__________________

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
MrHarris is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-10-2009, 07:55 AM   #95
elmariachi
Major
 
elmariachi's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW ///M Division
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Singapore

Posts: 1,321
iTrader: (1)

Is it me or those with serious engine problems tends to be 08 models? I kinda notice the freqency is very high with 08 cars. ????
__________________

2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White M-DCT| Novillo-Black Interior| Carbon Fibre Roof| Premium Sound System| EDC| 19's Advan RS w/ Michelin PS2 Cups| iPod| GruppeM Air Intake| GruppeM Steel Braided Lines|Ferodo DS2500 Pads| Akrapovic Full Header-Back Titanium Exhaust| 6000K Philips D1S| 3M Tints|
elmariachi is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-10-2009, 03:13 PM   #96
mvagusta
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 m3 coup
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: michigan

Posts: 475
iTrader: (1)

My08 cut off fuel and turned off. I was in first and didn't shift to second. I hit the clutch and stalled with only 1000 miles on the od... 15k miles later no problem. But the funny thing is my car is a 12.4 quarter mile car. I guess I broke it in good. With a pulley and filter. At the strip 12.4 to 12.7. Tune is nice but not worth the problems that it may cause!!!!
mvagusta is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-10-2009, 03:17 PM   #97
foosh
Major
 
foosh's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 M3 E93
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Annapolis, MD

Posts: 1,314
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmariachi View Post
Is it me or those with serious engine problems tends to be 08 models? I kinda notice the freqency is very high with 08 cars. ????
I have no clue. But, if it were true, you can't draw statistically meaningful conclusions without controlling for age, and mileage. Statistically speaking, 08s would tend to be higher-mileage vehicles than 09s.

To my knowledge, there is no evidence that the S65 is different between model years. Thus, a year from now, if there is a problem, one would expect to see it in equal proportions in the 09s.
__________________
foosh is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-10-2009, 04:15 PM   #98
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
I don't think it works like that...the moment you cut the fuel the engine stops accelerating.
Yes, I don't see how the engine can continue to accelerate in the absence of torque.

angular acceleration = T/I

I (moment of inertia) of the drivetrain, including the flywheel, simply affects the magnitute of the acceleration when there is net positive torque. If there is no combustion, there is no net positive (produced - drivetrain friction - external load) torque, and no angular acceleration of drivetrain components. For an engine rotating in neutral, there is no external load, but there is drivetrain friction, so the net torque is negative the moment fuel is cut off, and whatever rotating mass is connected to the crankshaft will decelerate.
__________________
lucid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-10-2009, 05:38 PM   #99
elp_jc
Brigadier General
 
Drives: .
Join Date: May 2008
Location: .

Posts: 4,910
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36jakeo View Post
Going hard to throttle spun the flywheel up, and although there is a fuel cutoff at ~8300 rpm the inertia of the flywheel must have carried the engine to ~8700 RPM.
Something's fishy with that story. Did you buy the car new? Never a tune? Engine does not spin above 8,450 rpm from the factory, period. Besides, rev limit in neutral and with clutch pedal depressed should be 7K rpm. By the way, it's entirely possible you had a bad engine; the 'fishy' part is it having spun to 8,700 rpm without a tune or mechanical overrev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36jakeo View Post
I am quite surprised such a thing could screw this engine.
Are you surprised 8,700 rpm screwed your engine??? I'm not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36jakeo View Post
Final comment: Given the relatively modest gains that a tune provides, I do not think it is worth tuning this engine. BMW told me it would have cost me $25K for a new engine!
I do agree with that. Take care.
elp_jc is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-10-2009, 07:09 PM   #100
aus
Major General
 
Drives: Odysse
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seal Beach, CA

Posts: 7,245
iTrader: (5)

You guys need one of these to clear codes... if they made one for our engines.

http://www.n54tuning.com/index.php?_...d&productId=22
__________________
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
aus is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-11-2009, 03:00 PM   #101
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 08 M3
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: FL to NY

Posts: 1,679
iTrader: (4)

very sorry to hear this

that is why i have always used Dinan's software on my last 2 M's and on this one
__________________
Street- 08 E92 M3- Sparkling Graphite/ Fox Red/6sp
Track- 10 CRF 250-PR2 Race Motor/Ohlins TTX Susp
Hauler- 06 Ford Skyjacker F250 4WD
H Bomb is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-11-2009, 05:10 PM   #102
ROTORHEAD77
DUSTOFF: ALL BALLS, NO GUNS!!!
 
ROTORHEAD77's Avatar
 
Drives: '09 E90 M3 SG DCT '04 JDM FIT
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mittel Franken

Posts: 110
iTrader: (0)

The moral of the story is don't alter your freaking car is you expect BMW to cover it if it breaks. It makes perfect sense to me. If you feel the burning desire to modify a proven and safe design from the factory, be prepared to pay in the event of a catastrophic failure.
ROTORHEAD77 is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      10-11-2009, 06:49 PM   #103
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 08 M3
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: FL to NY

Posts: 1,679
iTrader: (4)

nope not confused. after 3 modded M cars i know what was covered and what wasn't while i watched others just have issues.

now you say dinan may have covered it, well they never gave me a hard time and i wouldn't of known the difference so that is good warranty to me.

people love to slam dinan but after 3 dinan cars and no issues with warranty, but hey i been wrong before

i won't agrue on the matter bc it is pointless people can believe what they want

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek View Post
I think you're assuming that Dinan modifications are still covered by BMW factory warranty -- which is unambiguously not the case.

So, let's say you are confronted with the same situation as the OP. You bend a valve, the dealer says you have a modified ECU -- in this case a Dinan ECU -- so they refuse to cover the repairs under a factory warranty. The dealer ends up voiding your engine warranty because you have a modified ECU. Do you really think Dinan is going to replace your bent valves and pick up your full engine warranty -- just because you bought their ECU upgrade?

I do not believe this to be the case.


Dinan warranty vs. dealer coverage has been discussed ad-nauseum. If there is any confusion about this, I suggest looking up one of those threads.
__________________
Street- 08 E92 M3- Sparkling Graphite/ Fox Red/6sp
Track- 10 CRF 250-PR2 Race Motor/Ohlins TTX Susp
Hauler- 06 Ford Skyjacker F250 4WD
H Bomb is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-11-2009, 09:33 PM   #104
mvagusta
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 m3 coup
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: michigan

Posts: 475
iTrader: (1)

Why would thay give a warranty?(Dinan) Bmw would say because of the tune and the over rev. Dinan would have to warranty it. I asume?
mvagusta is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-11-2009, 10:28 PM   #105
elp_jc
Brigadier General
 
Drives: .
Join Date: May 2008
Location: .

Posts: 4,910
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post
people love to slam dinan but after 3 dinan cars and no issues with warranty
Have you ever needed a new, $25K engine??? NOBODY would cover it buddy, be it Dinan, AA, or whoever else. They'd blame the engine (which is no longer covered by BMW), leaving the burden of proof on you. Good luck with that.

You'd be wise to assume you'd have no warranty from Dinan or anybody else if you decide to tune your car, because that's probably the reality. Yeah, it's a very small chance of something catastrophic happening, but the odds are there.
elp_jc is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-11-2009, 10:28 PM   #106
AMPowerJ
One mod leads to another ...
 
AMPowerJ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Blythewood, SC

Posts: 2,436
iTrader: (9)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek View Post
I think you're assuming that Dinan modifications are still covered by BMW factory warranty -- which is unambiguously not the case.

So, let's say you are confronted with the same situation as the OP. You bend a valve, the dealer says you have a modified ECU -- in this case a Dinan ECU -- so they refuse to cover the repairs under a factory warranty. The dealer ends up voiding your engine warranty because you have a modified ECU. Do you really think Dinan is going to replace your bent valves and pick up your full engine warranty -- just because you bought their ECU upgrade?

I do not believe this to be the case.


Dinan warranty vs. dealer coverage has been discussed ad-nauseum. If there is any confusion about this, I suggest looking up one of those threads.
Dinan has their OWN warranty that coincides with BMW's warranty or for 2 years on the part itself if the BMW warranty has expired. So yes if you have a Dinan tune and it is proven to be the cause of the bent valve due to raised rev limiter or whatever then Dinan is on the hook. BUT it has to be proven first and this would have to happen anyway for BMW to legally deny your warranty on the engine in the first place. The catch is that to hire a lawyer and fight this battle is often not worth the effort. Therefore, even with Dinan, you should assume that if problems arise, without a huge effort, you are going to have to pay out of pocket for repairs. At least with Dinan you have some chance of support where with other vendors you have less of a chance IMO.
__________________

Current: 2015 F80 M3 (SS, Full Black Interior, 6MT, LED, Adaptive, 19's) - On Order
Previous: 2013 E92 M3, 2013 F10 M5, 2009 E90 M3, 1998 E36 M3
AMPowerJ is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-11-2009, 10:40 PM   #107
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

Dinan can't even send me a $150 rebate check they owe me since May. I find it hard to believe they would fork over thousands for an engine rebuild because of a bent valve. The chances are nobody would own such a problem since it is probably technically almost impossible to prove what caused what exactly based on a single failure. If the majority of Dinan tunes ended up with bent valves, it might be a different story, but then, they'd probably simply go bankrupt!
__________________
lucid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-11-2009, 11:29 PM   #108
niterider
Proove It!
 
Drives: Gintani Supercharged
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: City of Angels

Posts: 633
iTrader: (0)

I really dont think ur tune did this, but BMW can void ur warranty for messing or "tamperring" with ur DME. In fact thats prob. one of the only areas where u could never win a case with them because thats the key module in this vehicle. Its literally connected in some way to every module and sensor on this vehicle. So they can blame any other problem they want to on ur tune from now on.

Good luck with ur fix...Off topic but I remember a few S54s had this problem as well back when they were somewhat new. Except most of those cases were from over reving which can b easily seen by BMW.
__________________
niterider is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-12-2009, 12:09 AM   #109
mixja
Captain
 
Drives: 2011 E90 DCT Silverstone
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Beverly Hils, CA

Posts: 783
iTrader: (1)

I was told by my BMW SA that when they run a diagnosis on the car, all information is sent back to a central system in BMW Germany automatically for analysis and storage.

So avoid getting any diagnosis run on the car if you want to hide the fact you have an aftermarket tune.

I was also told by an Independent BMW Workshop mechanic that the ECU track if the software has been flashed or not - upon discussion of this with an aftermarket tuner, they informed me that only a major software upgrade is tracked and reprogramming a few tables in the DME is not tracked. Also out of interest your major software revision can only be upgraded 13 times, however an ECU reflash can happen as many times as possible.

Finally the M3 engine management systems have cryptographically signed data that uses the RSA public/private key technologies similar to what is used with SSL certificates on the Internet - however the aftermarket tuners have found some way to trick this system.
mixja is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-12-2009, 12:36 AM   #110
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 08 M3
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: FL to NY

Posts: 1,679
iTrader: (4)

no offense but no i never needed a new engine. my Dinan cars never gave me any trouble like other modded cars give. i had 80,000 miles on my Dinan S2 M5 and 65,000 miles on my Dinan S2 M3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Have you ever needed a new, $25K engine??? NOBODY would cover it buddy, be it Dinan, AA, or whoever else. They'd blame the engine (which is no longer covered by BMW), leaving the burden of proof on you. Good luck with that.

You'd be wise to assume you'd have no warranty from Dinan or anybody else if you decide to tune your car, because that's probably the reality. Yeah, it's a very small chance of something catastrophic happening, but the odds are there.
__________________
Street- 08 E92 M3- Sparkling Graphite/ Fox Red/6sp
Track- 10 CRF 250-PR2 Race Motor/Ohlins TTX Susp
Hauler- 06 Ford Skyjacker F250 4WD
H Bomb is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:06 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST