BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

PYSPEED

11-01-2009, 09:40 PM   #23
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep

Drives: 335i E93 750Li

Lime Rock Park recently replaced their 2009 M5 Pace Car with an M3 Coupe. I was there the day they got the M3. Simon Kirkby, who runs the Club at Lime Rock and is the main driving coach told me he felt the M3 was "much better" than the M5.

I totally agree with the poster who stated that the limits of bith cars are way above what can be safely approached on public roads. IMO thy are both in a sort of limbo - too much car for the street and not really suitable for serious track use.

I personally would like to have one of each.

CA

Last edited by captainaudio; 11-02-2009 at 03:35 PM.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2009, 12:36 PM   #24
yemenmocha
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 14 335i Msport-PPK, 06 M3

I'll take one of each as well.

About the limits on the street - that's part of the problem where people just don't "get it". If you're going to track the car frequently then fine, you should disregard everything I'm going to say.

On the street, you're not going to be taking any corners or twisties any faster in an M3 than you will in an M5. Both cars have cornering abilities that exceed reasonable spirited driving on public roads. You will, however, get to experience a car that accelerates faster, especially at highway speeds.

The close quarter mile times are irrelevant. They're only close because the M5 is heavy and a little slower off the line. For 99% of driving you're not drag racing off the line where the launch means everything, rather you're punching it from a roll at some speed or other, and the M5 is clearly superior in this regard. So, drag racers... fine, buy the M3 over the M5. But if you're buying it to drag race, then you're shopping the wrong set of cars overall.

So unless you're a drag racer or a track junkie, the M5 is going to be better for spirited driving on the street. You can use more of the car's strengths on the street. Sure the M3 feels more tossable, that's fine, but I bet you don't take the corners on a public road any faster than I can in an e60 M5. Both are heavy 4-door saloons that are sporty. I'll trade some of the sensation of tossability and still take the corners just as fast in exchange for 100 more HP.
Appreciate 0