BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

EclipsisNA

10-04-2009, 02:20 PM   #1
808MGuy
Colonel

Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Removing the rear interior trim piece in the trunk

How do you remove it. I saw to philips screws under some plastic caps on the top of it and then 4 plastic rivets in the face. I took out the screws and then tried to pry out the plastic rivets similar to the ones that hold the side panels in but they would not budge. How the heck do you go that thing out. Here's a picture of the piece I'm talking about

This picture shows the four locations in the face as screws but in my car they look more like part number 5.

10-05-2009, 12:52 PM   #2
808MGuy
Colonel

Nobody took this piece off to remove the side panels?

10-05-2009, 02:04 PM   #3
Technic
Lieutenant General

Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
How do you remove it. I saw to philips screws under some plastic caps on the top of it and then 4 plastic rivets in the face. I took out the screws and then tried to pry out the plastic rivets similar to the ones that hold the side panels in but they would not budge. How the heck do you go that thing out. Here's a picture of the piece I'm talking about

This picture shows the four locations in the face as screws but in my car they look more like part number 5.
That illustration is not showing the correct plastic clips used on those 4 side locations. The only two screws in that trim panel are on its top.

Keep pulling out hard those four #5 plastic clips, they will come off from each plastic base, pull out the bases also off that trim and then you will be able to remove that whole trim piece.
Technic is offline   United_States
      10-05-2009, 02:34 PM   #4
808MGuy
Colonel

I was trying to pry it out with my plastic pry tools and 2 of them came out about halfway but the other two wouldn't budge at all. After halfway, I tried putting a little more effort into it but they still wouldn't budge even with my pry tool practically bending in half. I'm afraid I'm going to break these things before they actually come out.

10-05-2009, 04:28 PM   #5
elp_jc
Brigadier General

Drives: .

BMW has the WORST plastic clips I've ever seen. If the trunk clips are anything like the ones on the hood piece that feeds the intake above the radiator, you'd have to completely destroy them. I had to hammer them out after I removed the bumper, and that was after copious amounts of WD40, which did nothing. Ridiculous. Good luck man, and keep us posted.
elp_jc is offline   United_States
      10-05-2009, 11:26 PM   #6
spectrumphoto
Just another peanut in the Turd!

Drives: 08 M3 e90 IB

I actually had to pull mine off today to get at a nut that had fallen down by the amp in fender well. Remove 2 oblong screw covers (#8 in image and same on opposite side) remove the 2 screws. Now there are 4 grey plastic (# 5) slip a screw driver between the top plastic piece and bottom plastic pieces and CAREFULLY (the tops are prone to breaking) pry the top out from the bottom. Remove it completely as these things are in there good. They may be tight but they will move if you take it slowly. Once the top pin is out carefully pry the bottom piece out as well, it should come out with ease now. (If by chance you do break a top piece of then you have to push the stem in and through the bottom component with a small screw driver or nail ant then you can remove the bottom piece)

After the 4 pins are removed and 2 screws just carefully remove the piece from the weather seal and it will come right out. Its pretty easy. When you re-install just put bottom of the plugs back in the 4 holes and push the top pins back into the bottom ones to lock in place.
spectrumphoto is offline   United_States