BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

09-30-2009, 01:10 AM   #1
THEGERMAN
Private First Class

Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Coupe, 6-Speed

Clear front bumper side reflectors

I ordered and installed front white side reflectors a few months back, but they got damaged during a bump in with another car. (his fault) Regardless the fit on them was not really perfect because they were not flush with the bumper. Got them from JLEVIS.com (not sure if thats correct site, but some like that). Well any how. Im back on the ugly orange stock ones and man I gotta tell you. I gotta get rid of them. So I was thinking on getting the clear ones. Problem is I got no clue on where to find them. Ebay is not working with me. And I dont trust the Jlevis site anymore on those items. Can you recommend a site please. Clear ones would be perfect I believe, or another set of white ones from a different site. Car is E92 M3 Coupe, AW.
Thanks
TheGerman
      09-30-2009, 01:31 AM   #2
Mr.Metak2you
Brigadier General

Drives: LEXUS LS(DailyDriver)
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwr'

Garage List
Don't do the clears! Not cause I don't like them, in fact I think they look the best on AW, but because after purchasing a set for my car and fast forward 12mos, they are now yellowing. I now prefer the orange believe it or not.
      09-30-2009, 01:43 AM   #3
spyderco10
Colonel

Drives: AW E92 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEGERMAN View Post
I ordered and installed front white side reflectors a few months back, but they got damaged during a bump in with another car. (his fault) Regardless the fit on them was not really perfect because they were not flush with the bumper. Got them from JLEVIS.com (not sure if thats correct site, but some like that). Well any how. Im back on the ugly orange stock ones and man I gotta tell you. I gotta get rid of them. So I was thinking on getting the clear ones. Problem is I got no clue on where to find them. Ebay is not working with me. And I dont trust the Jlevis site anymore on those items. Can you recommend a site please. Clear ones would be perfect I believe, or another set of white ones from a different site. Car is E92 M3 Coupe, AW.
Thanks
TheGerman
they're not supposed to be flush with the bumper. they are supposed to sit exactly how the stock ones do, a little raised from the bumper.
- John 3:16
spyderco10 is offline   United_States
      09-30-2009, 01:49 AM   #4
Kyosho
Lieutenant

Drives: E90 M3

I thought you would have the Euro Spec front bumper cause youre in Italy.
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."
Kyosho is offline   Taiwan
      09-30-2009, 02:12 AM   #5
M3twins
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 Le Mans Blue E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyosho View Post
+1,000,000 !! My thoughts exactly!! One huge benefit to living in Europe!
      09-30-2009, 05:58 AM   #6
Heat00
Major

Drives: 2008 E90 M3

I had the clears and didn't like them, best option to replace orange are the painted ones!

maybe you should try them, see my picture below, sorry for the size
Attached Images

Heat00 is offline   United_States
      09-30-2009, 06:16 AM   #7
MDog
///M Madness

Drives: JB M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3twins View Post
+1,000,000 !! My thoughts exactly!! One huge benefit to living in Europe!

That's a common misconception. If your a U.S. citizen associated with U.S. forces overseas we purchase our cars through special military sales programs, not on the private economy. Which means we get U.S. spec. vehicles just like you. It's tax free and a lot cheaper than euro spec vehicles.
MDog is offline   United_States
      09-30-2009, 11:52 AM   #8
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General

Drives: BMW Duh

Send a message via AIM to SV Concepts III
Sorry to hear the reflectors were damaged but not sure why you wouldn't trust us for another set. If you want to delete the reflectors, I would do the painted ones we carry to blend in with the rest of the bumper. Otherwise, you can do clear or smoked again.
      09-30-2009, 03:09 PM   #9
THEGERMAN
Private First Class

correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderco10 View Post
they're not supposed to be flush with the bumper. they are supposed to sit exactly how the stock ones do, a little raised from the bumper.
Sorry for not being clear on the flush part. I did not mean flush with the bumper. That was my poor choice of words. What I meant to say was; I would pop them into place and there would be like 1/8th of an inch sticking out on the bottom. There was a gap. like they would not fit in properly. Left side was good, but right side would stick out. You could not tell by looking at it from the front, but for ppl who know about M3s, they would see it. Plus I could see it like a sore spot. And you know how much ones own car has got to be perfect.....
      09-30-2009, 03:10 PM   #10
THEGERMAN
Private First Class

Quote:
Nope. I ordered my car through Pentagon BMWs, who make american spec cars. Otherwise I would have the hardest time getting my car back to the states after my current tour in europe.
      09-30-2009, 03:14 PM   #11
THEGERMAN
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDog View Post
That's a common misconception. If your a U.S. citizen associated with U.S. forces overseas we purchase our cars through special military sales programs, not on the private economy. Which means we get U.S. spec. vehicles just like you. It's tax free and a lot cheaper than euro spec vehicles.
B U L L S E Y E !!!!
      09-30-2009, 03:17 PM   #12
THEGERMAN
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Jlevi SW View Post
Sorry to hear the reflectors were damaged but not sure why you wouldn't trust us for another set. If you want to delete the reflectors, I would do the painted ones we carry to blend in with the rest of the bumper. Otherwise, you can do clear or smoked again.
Look. Im not clowning your product. In fact all the other mods I got for my car came from you guys and they are top notch. Just that the white colored reflectors would not fit like the orange stock ones. As described on another reply within this post, the AW painted replacements would stick out about 1/8th of an inch. Not sure if I will face the same problem once I order another set. What do you think.
      09-30-2009, 03:39 PM   #13
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General

Drives: BMW Duh

Send a message via AIM to SV Concepts III
I appreciate the response and no worries. All reflectors, painted, clear or smoked are designed to stick out from the bumper. That is how the factory reflectors are designed so it will be difficult to produce a reflector that is 100% flush. These are designed to improve upon the factory look and at least help with the nasty amber color.
      09-30-2009, 04:32 PM   #14
elp_jc
Brigadier General

Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEGERMAN View Post
Clear ones would be perfect I believe, or another set of white ones from a different site.
ALL clear/smoke reflectors are the same ('DEPO' brand), no matter where you order them from, so forget about them man. And yes, all the ones I've seen have a gap (larger on right side indeed), trap water inside, and are thicker and cheaper looking than OEM.

I don't like the 'patched' look of painted OEMs, so I reluctantly left the stockers until a better clear (if ever) comes around. Take care.
elp_jc is offline   United_States
      10-02-2009, 10:30 AM   #15
E92-Lighting
Banned

Drives: Next Generation LED Lighting

Send a message via AIM to E92-Lighting Send a message via MSN to E92-Lighting Send a message via Yahoo to E92-Lighting Send a message via Skype™ to E92-Lighting
E92-Lighting is offline   United_States
      10-02-2009, 10:43 AM   #16
Mr.Metak2you
Brigadier General

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92-Lighting View Post
...and your posting a picture of the clears why? To show everyone what they look like BEFORE they turn yellow?
      10-02-2009, 06:37 PM   #17
HuddaDudda
Private

Drives: 2009 E93 M3 Alpine White M-DCT

I have clears on my AW M3 and they are not yellow. However I have only had them on my car for 5-6 months now. I was trying to decide between the clear and smoked at first then went clear. I must say I like them better than the orange!

At Bimmerfest I saw a lot of AW reflectors that actually were "white" but it did not match the AW paint on the bumper exactly so I didnt like how they looked. I think this is just one of those things that either your going to like it or not. Plus this is one mod that doesnt cost a ton of $$ so if they get yellow they are not a huge investment to pop out and put in new ones!
      10-02-2009, 11:23 PM   #18
frankzlin79
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

I had clears at first...then developed moisture inside the housing lenses over time. I now have painted. However, I think clear looks way better than painted. However, I'm sticking with the painted ones for now because it's better than seeing moisture inside everytime it rains.

My understanding is that the clear ones are all manufactured by the same company in Taiwan. I want to say the company is DECO if I'm not mistaken. DECO is embossed on the outside along the bottom edge of the reflector in tiny letters so it's not noticeable unless you're looking for it.
frankzlin79 is offline   United_States
      10-03-2009, 01:07 AM   #19
Mr.Metak2you
Brigadier General

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankzlin79 View Post
I had clears at first...then developed moisture inside the housing lenses over time. I now have painted. However, I think clear looks way better than painted. However, I'm sticking with the painted ones for now because it's better than seeing moisture inside everytime it rains.

My understanding is that the clear ones are all manufactured by the same company in Taiwan. I want to say the company is DECO if I'm not mistaken. DECO is embossed on the outside along the bottom edge of the reflector in tiny letters so it's not noticeable unless you're looking for it.
D E P O

at least that's what mine say....
      10-03-2009, 11:58 AM   #20
E92M3Guy
Second Lieutenant

Drives: Black E92 M3

Go with IND or WheelSTO, they use OEM reflectors that have great fitment and the color matches spot on.

It looks like your reflectors don't match the car. I know for a fact bimmian doesn't use OEM reflectors as I bought from them in the past and the fitment is like what you said except I had the E46 M and I would never purchase that from them ever again. They have nice packaging but that is as far as I would go with them.

I know of 4 companies that are not sponsors on this board and from looking on google they have clear reflectors that are OEM knock offs and not DEPO brand.
      10-03-2009, 07:19 PM   #21
M3PGH
Lieutenant

Drives: M5

How are **********s painted reflectors?
M3PGH is offline   United_States
      10-03-2009, 11:18 PM   #22
disruptv
Major

Drives: 3M

Garage List
09 3m  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92M3Guy View Post
Go with IND or WheelSTO, they use OEM reflectors that have great fitment and the color matches spot on.

It looks like your reflectors don't match the car. I know for a fact bimmian doesn't use OEM reflectors as I bought from them in the past and the fitment is like what you said except I had the E46 M and I would never purchase that from them ever again. They have nice packaging but that is as far as I would go with them.

I know of 4 companies that are not sponsors on this board and from looking on google they have clear reflectors that are OEM knock offs and not DEPO brand.
Ok

what are these companies? post them or pM me

tnx