BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos
 
OneEighty
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-30-2009, 02:16 PM   #23
E82tt6
Colonel
E82tt6's Avatar
48
Rep
2,629
Posts

 
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexAg06 View Post
03-04 cobra is called the terminator because ford finally built a mustang that would smoke the camaro ss/trans am. it was highly underrated from the factory. it is probably faster stock than the gt500 (KR might be faster).
Mine put down 375 stock, and I managed a 12.1 with just tires. Ironic. More than your average full bolton N54 powered car does, and it also ironically handles rings around any current production BMW save perhaps the M3, but my money would be on the Terminator around a track if it ditched the stock rubbish goodyears.

I know mine with basic boltons and Nitto 555Rs could roast the one SLR I found to play with. ;-). About two bus lengths from 0-80 (1-->2 took ~3 seconds in that car), though only pulled another bus length or so to 140.
__________________
'08 Black Saphire/Black Z4 M Coupe
RIP Gretta: Blue Water/Lemon 135i. Died to save me.
-ChuckV
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 02:21 PM   #24
yermo
You know I am kind of a big deal...
yermo's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
268
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

Terminator was the internal (Ford, SVT) code name for the 03-04 cobra. They have that "name" on some of the parts as well. It was the body style that Ford (SVT) selected; one of the other names if i remember correctly was Rambo...

A cobra can put down 500 rwhp with the stock blower and motor, easy. It can also produce well over a 1000 rwhp with a turbo upgrade and stock motor.

Not talking about exclusivity, but there were only 5,664 cobra mustangs made in 2004. How many R8's did they build in 2008, 4500-5000 from what i can tell? And you have an IS-f that looks like all the other IS's, if you want to say that cobras looks like all other mustangs.

Yes I did have a 2003 DSG cobra and loved the car. I now have a 335i... if it matters.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 02:27 PM   #25
powertrip
Scared money don't make money.
powertrip's Avatar
23
Rep
1,458
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Irvine, CA

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
I loved my '04 Cobra; it was a great car. I think it was pushing a tad over 500whp and an equal amount of torque. IMO the car was very civil and pretty damn comfortable on a daily basis. One thing to watch out for since you're buying used is the "tick" that they develop on the driver's side head. That problem has been traced back to poor cooling on the rear cylinder. Long term it will lead to valve failure and loss of compression in that cylinder. Shop carefully .
__________________
2009 E92 M3/DCT/Alpine White/Fox Red/Carbon Leather
OE Tuned 402 whp & 303 wtq/Gintani X-pipe/MXP Axle Back/Rogue Pulley/AFE Stage 2/Cosmetics By IND & EAS
HUGE THANKS: Gintani, OE Tuning, and EAS
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 02:37 PM   #26
E82tt6
Colonel
E82tt6's Avatar
48
Rep
2,629
Posts

 
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Yep, I upgraded to the '04 heads, and did the basic cooling mods.
__________________
'08 Black Saphire/Black Z4 M Coupe
RIP Gretta: Blue Water/Lemon 135i. Died to save me.
-ChuckV
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 02:50 PM   #27
EpicE90
First Lieutenant
24
Rep
347
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 f150
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrip View Post
I loved my '04 Cobra; it was a great car. I think it was pushing a tad over 500whp and an equal amount of torque. IMO the car was very civil and pretty damn comfortable on a daily basis. One thing to watch out for since you're buying used is the "tick" that they develop on the driver's side head. That problem has been traced back to poor cooling on the rear cylinder. Long term it will lead to valve failure and loss of compression in that cylinder. Shop carefully .
Thank you, i didnt know that but yeah i have found quite a few of them with low miles under 12k, for around 23-25k. I have been researching a bunch about them the past few days . I still have a lot to learn but i'm getting there . Do you recommend a good forum?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 02:59 PM   #28
immiketoo
Colonel
immiketoo's Avatar
71
Rep
2,873
Posts

 
Drives: Smoothly
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago Burbs

iTrader: (0)

I had a 96 Mystic with a Vortech S-trim and 4:30 rear end. That car would smoke almost ANY stock car until you had to turn, or above 165 when the car would float...very scary. While it was loads of fun, it is not as refined as any of the German cars I have owned and these threads are really pointless.

It's a Ford. They go fast cheaply, but they squeek and rattle themselves to death. SO what? Are they better than BMWs. If that's what you like then yes. If that's what you can afford then yes. Better is subjective. Are the faster? Maybe. Do they handle better? Generally, no. So what? If the OP likes a Mustang, sweet. If you don't who cares? Time and again, I see negative posts on the forum just for the sake of saying something.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 03:05 PM   #29
EpicE90
First Lieutenant
24
Rep
347
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 f150
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
I had a 96 Mystic with a Vortech S-trim and 4:30 rear end. That car would smoke almost ANY stock car until you had to turn, or above 165 when the car would float...very scary. While it was loads of fun, it is not as refined as any of the German cars I have owned and these threads are really pointless.

It's a Ford. They go fast cheaply, but they squeek and rattle themselves to death. SO what? Are they better than BMWs. If that's what you like then yes. If that's what you can afford then yes. Better is subjective. Are the faster? Maybe. Do they handle better? Generally, no. So what? If the OP likes a Mustang, sweet. If you don't who cares? Time and again, I see negative posts on the forum just for the sake of saying something.
Couldn't agree more. Although i previously owned a 2008 v6 mustang, and im sure others encountered the problems of rattling ,squeeking, and such . I cant recall 1 issue EVER with my personal car though. I've also been in various 335s and 2 of my friends cars happen to have a lot of little creaking and rattling so i guess its luck of the draw .
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 04:05 PM   #30
oneintheory
no longer a BMW owner
United_States
36
Rep
1,468
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Suffolk/Chesapeake, VA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
I had a 96 Mystic with a Vortech S-trim and 4:30 rear end. That car would smoke almost ANY stock car until you had to turn, or above 165 when the car would float...very scary. While it was loads of fun, it is not as refined as any of the German cars I have owned and these threads are really pointless.

It's a Ford. They go fast cheaply, but they squeek and rattle themselves to death. SO what? Are they better than BMWs. If that's what you like then yes. If that's what you can afford then yes. Better is subjective. Are the faster? Maybe. Do they handle better? Generally, no. So what? If the OP likes a Mustang, sweet. If you don't who cares? Time and again, I see negative posts on the forum just for the sake of saying something.
+1
They're just different cars. What's wrong with people acknowledging that other cars can be good? I loved my car, despite it being the "bottom of the barrel" BMW, but I have appreciation for the engineering and value provided by Mustangs and Corvettes.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 04:32 PM   #31
josephr25
Major
United_States
18
Rep
1,458
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 335i
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Irvine, CA

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
I don't remember the car being called a "Terminator" before.

The only Mustang I really remember from that generation was the first Cobra-R.
__________________
"Yeah; well, my interior is better."
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 04:43 PM   #32
EpicE90
First Lieutenant
24
Rep
347
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 f150
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampfer View Post
I don't remember the car being called a "Terminator" before.

The only Mustang I really remember from that generation was the first Cobra-R.
"Terminator" was just a Code name for the car. Not actually for sale from ford called Termniator cobra , etc..
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 04:47 PM   #33
FStop7
I like cars
FStop7's Avatar
Vatican City State
95
Rep
5,059
Posts

 
Drives: M6
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Newbury Park, CA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeueKlasse View Post
I'm not a member of e90post, nor is it a naive statement, it's an informed one. We have modified 2007 Mustang GTs at the ICAR driving school and while they perform well they are far from exclusive. There is a Mustang at every other house in my neighborhood... some are very nice but they're still, imho, Mustangs. For the same price you could get something far more exclusive. This is nearly as bad as buying a Corvette and thinking you've got something exclusive.
LOL and a 1 series BMW is "exclusive"?

That mustang will eat your car and shit it out all over the road.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 04:47 PM   #34
AwBoostedCR
Private First Class
United_States
4
Rep
136
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 Alpine White 335i
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Fort lauderdale, Florida

iTrader: (0)

epice90 you are my hero!! hahaha. yea my car has a liitle more than just some creaking and rattling. lol
__________________
AA BOV//AA INTERCOOLER//CATLESS DP'S CUSTOM EXHAUST// JB3 V1.3// H&R SPRINGS// RR OCC
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 04:52 PM   #35
EpicE90
First Lieutenant
24
Rep
347
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 f150
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwBoostedCR View Post
epice90 you are my hero!! hahaha. yea my car has a liitle more than just some creaking and rattling. lol
LOL!!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 06:40 AM   #36
jhv
Lieutenant General
jhv's Avatar
No_Country
436
Rep
17,307
Posts

 
Drives: Every Day
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (1)

fucking fanboyism runs rampant, ignore it. id rock that cobra like nobody's business. i saw a black one today on the way home and rolled down my window cause i loved the sound it made.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 08:59 AM   #37
immiketoo
Colonel
immiketoo's Avatar
71
Rep
2,873
Posts

 
Drives: Smoothly
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago Burbs

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
fucking fanboyism runs rampant, ignore it. id rock that cobra like nobody's business. i saw a black one today on the way home and rolled down my window cause i loved the sound it made.
AMEN, I do that all the time! Last time was for a Pontaic GTO with a full exhaust...sounded sick!
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 09:03 AM   #38
immiketoo
Colonel
immiketoo's Avatar
71
Rep
2,873
Posts

 
Drives: Smoothly
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago Burbs

iTrader: (0)

After I took out the interior of my Cobra several times for the stereo and running intercooler lines, the interior panels were loose and rattly. I tried dynamat, new fasteners, felt and a bunch of other stuff. Never fixed it, and it drove me nuts. I don't know why, but I drive with the stereo of a lot. I love the sound of the motor I guess, and the Cobra had one hell of a motor
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 10:27 AM   #39
EpicE90
First Lieutenant
24
Rep
347
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 f150
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
After I took out the interior of my Cobra several times for the stereo and running intercooler lines, the interior panels were loose and rattly. I tried dynamat, new fasteners, felt and a bunch of other stuff. Never fixed it, and it drove me nuts. I don't know why, but I drive with the stereo of a lot. I love the sound of the motor I guess, and the Cobra had one hell of a motor
God all this sound and motor talk is getting me excited
immiketoo do u know a good forum for these cars I want to lean alot more before I decide if I'm going to get one when I get out of my lease and I'm yet to find a decent forum on these. Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 10:37 AM   #40
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
141
Rep
4,765
Posts

 
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Tampa, FL

iTrader: (0)

I'm not going to lie, I like the way it looks. I'm a sucker for fat tires
__________________
Stop putting stuff like painted reflectors and premium package in your signature. You're embarrassing.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 01:13 PM   #41
dexter
Lieutenant
dexter's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
469
Posts

 
Drives: 08' space grey 335i/ E30 3er
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: newport beach, ca

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicE90 View Post
Well. If i get out of the lease on my 328i any time soon, this is what i want!!!
i suggested this from the beginning!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredOnce View Post
You guys let your women drive BMWs? Next they'll be wanting to wear clothes and vote... not good, my friends...
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2009, 01:18 PM   #42
EpicE90
First Lieutenant
24
Rep
347
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 f150
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter View Post
i suggested this from the beginning!
A good man you are dexter, indeed a good man.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 04:18 AM   #43
dexter
Lieutenant
dexter's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
469
Posts

 
Drives: 08' space grey 335i/ E30 3er
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: newport beach, ca

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicE90 View Post
"Terminator" was just a Code name for the car. Not actually for sale from ford called Termniator cobra , etc..
you know what the code name was for the 08' GT500? Petunia! talk about a slap in the face to the sheer brutal power of that car. but still very smart code name to keep the peeping toms at bay.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredOnce View Post
You guys let your women drive BMWs? Next they'll be wanting to wear clothes and vote... not good, my friends...
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 07:27 AM   #44
11Past9
First Lieutenant
11Past9's Avatar
United_States
35
Rep
309
Posts

 
Drives: A stolen one
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: U.S.A.

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to 11Past9
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeueKlasse View Post
I'm not a member of e90post, nor is it a naive statement, it's an informed one. We have modified 2007 Mustang GTs at the ICAR driving school and while they perform well they are far from exclusive. There is a Mustang at every other house in my neighborhood... some are very nice but they're still, imho, Mustangs. For the same price you could get something far more exclusive. This is nearly as bad as buying a Corvette and thinking you've got something exclusive.
What's exclusive about a BMW?
__________________
gentle now the tender breeze blows, whispers through my Gran Torino, whistling another tired song, engine humms and bitter dreams grow, heart locked in a Gran Torino, it beats a lonely rhythm all night long
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:26 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST