BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
Lux Angel Eyes
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-25-2010, 12:39 AM   #1
xxe92xx
Banned
18
Rep
783
Posts

 
Drives: 08 M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Milwaukee, WI

iTrader: (2)

Powerchip Stage 3

I have heard that over in Europe. Powerchip is offering a stage 3 tune adding 40rwhp. Anyone also hear the same thing? Any news on it? I really want it
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 01:04 AM   #2
mixja
Captain
United_States
19
Rep
783
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 DCT Silverstone
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Beverly Hils, CA

iTrader: (1)

The "Stage 3" name was probably started by me - yes I saw the dyno sheet and yes it added 40WHP. And yes I have this tune.

I haven't dyno'd it but my butt dyno says 30-35WHP. The car really pulls hard at high RPMs - interestingly though the dyno I saw showed a similar increase in torque across the entire RPM range - in my case low-mid torque feels similar to my original Stage 2 tune but once the car hits around 5500rpm it really starts to pull hard. The car actually feels similar to an M6 in terms of power delivery - I reckon it is almost as fast (as a stock M6).

I haven't seen any mention of this tune from Powerchip US - I'd love to see what they have to say about it.

One avenue to get further info on this might be to email Powerchip Australia - sales@powerchipgroup.com
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 01:09 AM   #3
xxe92xx
Banned
18
Rep
783
Posts

 
Drives: 08 M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Milwaukee, WI

iTrader: (2)

ohhh so your over in NZ...i never caught that do you have a dynosheet? if so you should post! i talked to Mike@Powerchip and he mentioned it and said it isnt available in the US yet...maybe ill send my DME to NZ
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 01:51 AM   #4
Kev
Resident Anesthesiologist
Kev's Avatar
Hong Kong
180
Rep
8,815
Posts

 
Drives: VW bug with a misplaced engine
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (24)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxe92xx View Post
ohhh so your over in NZ...i never caught that do you have a dynosheet? if so you should post! i talked to Mike@Powerchip and he mentioned it and said it isnt available in the US yet...maybe ill send my DME to NZ
probably because of fuel quality issues.....
__________________
kev { divinum est sedate dolorem }
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 01:58 AM   #5
Sal@Evolve
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
24
Rep
1,063
Posts


 
Drives: Slow
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Luton, Bedfordshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
probably because of fuel quality issues.....
US gets the Euro equivalant of 99 octane. Maybe not everywhere but it is available.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 02:06 AM   #6
Kev
Resident Anesthesiologist
Kev's Avatar
Hong Kong
180
Rep
8,815
Posts

 
Drives: VW bug with a misplaced engine
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (24)

Garage List
The octane rating might be the same (i.e. 93 AKI = 98 RON), but the amount of impurities in the gasoline is different.
__________________
kev { divinum est sedate dolorem }
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 02:27 AM   #7
mixja
Captain
United_States
19
Rep
783
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 DCT Silverstone
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Beverly Hils, CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxe92xx View Post
ohhh so your over in NZ...i never caught that do you have a dynosheet? if so you should post! i talked to Mike@Powerchip and he mentioned it and said it isnt available in the US yet...maybe ill send my DME to NZ
Sorry Powerchip asked me not to distribute it, I don't even have it anymore (accidentally deleted it )...
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 03:58 AM   #8
NatAsp-M3
Private
NatAsp-M3's Avatar
4
Rep
95
Posts

 
Drives: e90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Honolulu

iTrader: (0)

Sounds similar to what Turner offers?
__________________

e90M3, sold: Akrapovic // Brembo // VRS // Eisenmann // Advan RS // ESS // Challenge
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 09:39 AM   #9
bren335i
Banned
4
Rep
203
Posts

 
Drives: E60 M5
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: BOSTON

iTrader: (0)

The tuning had some wild VANOS changes that were inconsistent as far as I know. It was made for 93 and up octane. It wasn't consistent or proven yet and still very much beta.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 10:02 AM   #10
mikewads
Lieutenant
mikewads's Avatar
22
Rep
470
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 M3 Coupe DCT
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Georgia

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxe92xx View Post
I have heard that over in Europe. Powerchip is offering a stage 3 tune adding 40rwhp.
Impossible
__________________
2012 Blue Pearl GT-R
1068whp & 906wtq on E85 / 60 - 130 MPH in 3.8 secs

2009 BMW M3 ESS Supercharged / Nitrous - 10.87 @ 131 MPH / 60 - 130 MPH in 6.23 secs
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 11:57 AM   #11
xxe92xx
Banned
18
Rep
783
Posts

 
Drives: 08 M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Milwaukee, WI

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixja View Post
Sorry Powerchip asked me not to distribute it, I don't even have it anymore (accidentally deleted it )...
well how would you distribute it? your just a customer i was referring to sending my DME to a powerchip tuner over in australian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatAsp-M3 View Post
Sounds similar to what Turner offers?
turner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren335i View Post
The tuning had some wild VANOS changes that were inconsistent as far as I know. It was made for 93 and up octane. It wasn't consistent or proven yet and still very much beta.
hmm anymore info?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewads View Post
Impossible
well as far as the 40rwhp i have no idea thats what i heard but there is a stage 3
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 12:10 PM   #12
SV Concepts II
SV Concepts II's Avatar
United_States
129
Rep
6,095
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 1460 White Oaks Rd. Suite F Campbell, CA 95008

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxe92xx View Post
well how would you distribute it? your just a customer i was referring to sending my DME to a powerchip tuner over in australian



turner?



hmm anymore info?



well as far as the 40rwhp i have no idea thats what i heard but there is a stage 3
I believe he was referring to Turner Motor Sport.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 12:14 PM   #13
xxe92xx
Banned
18
Rep
783
Posts

 
Drives: 08 M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Milwaukee, WI

iTrader: (2)

thats old news...stage 3 is the latest from PC
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 12:26 PM   #14
skoot3r
BMW n00b
skoot3r's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
1,146
Posts

 
Drives: 09 e92 M3/ 2013 GMC 2500hd
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: San Jose

iTrader: (4)

Send a message via AIM to skoot3r
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxe92xx View Post
thats old news...stage 3 is the latest from PC
yeah but you have to assume that all the power isn't just from the tune. That would be imposable. I assume it is a more aggressiive tune that runs on higher octane gas with all bolt on for the car pulley catless xpipe mufflers filter.
__________________
09 SpaceGray M3 DCT
Power: Dinan 3.62, Gintani Race Mufflers, Dinan Intake, Gintani Xpipe, RPi Scoops
Cosmetic: Vrs Poly-Lip, CSL Trunk, LED Interior Lights, LUX H8, Smoked Tails, Challenge Diffuser
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 05:11 PM   #15
xxe92xx
Banned
18
Rep
783
Posts

 
Drives: 08 M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Milwaukee, WI

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoot3r View Post
yeah but you have to assume that all the power isn't just from the tune. That would be imposable. I assume it is a more aggressiive tune that runs on higher octane gas with all bolt on for the car pulley catless xpipe mufflers filter.
well as of now there is no way to tell...the number is just a rumor at this point


MIKE let me test the stage 3 tune
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 05:38 PM   #16
mixja
Captain
United_States
19
Rep
783
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 DCT Silverstone
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Beverly Hils, CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoot3r View Post
yeah but you have to assume that all the power isn't just from the tune. That would be imposable. I assume it is a more aggressiive tune that runs on higher octane gas with all bolt on for the car pulley catless xpipe mufflers filter.
The dyno I saw was comparing a STOCK M3 to the same car with just the Powerchip tune.

As an earlier poster stated, the bump in power over other tunes on the market comes down to something they found related to variable valve timing. My understanding is the valve timing "enhancement" was actually found on the S85 (M5 V10) engine first and was easily applied to the S65 (our M3) engine given it is a direct descendant of the S85.

Now I see on Powerchip's website that they still advertise power gains for the M3 of +21kW, however the advertised M5 power gain is +44kW (IIRC it used to be advertised as +33kW or thereabouts). If as you say it is impossible to extract approx +35kW at the fly from the M3 engine (based upon the claim of +40WHP), how can Powerchip claim to extract +44kW from the M5 engine?

I've tuned as a hobbyist in the past and I can tell you valve timing has a HUGE influence on engine output. I've only tuned on a car (Subaru STI) with intake valve timing, but we were able to make quite significant gains in low-mid range torque by putting in some detailed effort into trying different intake valve timings. Now on an engine like the S65 with both intake and exhaust valve timings, you have another tuning dimension to work with - yes it's exceedingly more complex to tune, but I think the possibility for more power at high RPM is definitely possible.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 05:50 PM   #17
mixja
Captain
United_States
19
Rep
783
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 DCT Silverstone
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Beverly Hils, CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoot3r View Post
yeah but you have to assume that all the power isn't just from the tune. That would be imposable. I assume it is a more aggressiive tune that runs on higher octane gas with all bolt on for the car pulley catless xpipe mufflers filter.
Sorry double post - m3post.com seems to be playing up a little bit at the moment
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 10:45 PM   #18
xxe92xx
Banned
18
Rep
783
Posts

 
Drives: 08 M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Milwaukee, WI

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixja View Post
The dyno I saw was comparing a STOCK M3 to the same car with just the Powerchip tune.

As an earlier poster stated, the bump in power over other tunes on the market comes down to something they found related to variable valve timing. My understanding is the valve timing "enhancement" was actually found on the S85 (M5 V10) engine first and was easily applied to the S65 (our M3) engine given it is a direct descendant of the S85.

Now I see on Powerchip's website that they still advertise power gains for the M3 of +21kW, however the advertised M5 power gain is +44kW (IIRC it used to be advertised as +33kW or thereabouts). If as you say it is impossible to extract approx +35kW at the fly from the M3 engine (based upon the claim of +40WHP), how can Powerchip claim to extract +44kW from the M5 engine?

I've tuned as a hobbyist in the past and I can tell you valve timing has a HUGE influence on engine output. I've only tuned on a car (Subaru STI) with intake valve timing, but we were able to make quite significant gains in low-mid range torque by putting in some detailed effort into trying different intake valve timings. Now on an engine like the S65 with both intake and exhaust valve timings, you have another tuning dimension to work with - yes it's exceedingly more complex to tune, but I think the possibility for more power at high RPM is definitely possible.
damnit man i want that tune
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2010, 12:24 AM   #19
xxe92xx
Banned
18
Rep
783
Posts

 
Drives: 08 M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Milwaukee, WI

iTrader: (2)

its coming soon

powerchip is about to shit on the tuning game
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2010, 03:02 AM   #20
ghosthi32
Banned
25
Rep
2,516
Posts

 
Drives: Water camel
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: strait of hormuz

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxe92xx View Post
its coming soon

powerchip is about to shit on the tuning game
inb4essclan
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2010, 04:49 PM   #21
xxe92xx
Banned
18
Rep
783
Posts

 
Drives: 08 M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Milwaukee, WI

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosthi32 View Post
inb4essclan
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2010, 07:07 PM   #22
M3Alpine
Major
M3Alpine's Avatar
20
Rep
1,471
Posts

 
Drives: e92 M3 AW/FR
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Central NJ

iTrader: (11)

this sounds great cant wait for more details
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:39 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST