BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....
 
ESS Tuning
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-23-2009, 06:11 AM   #1
footie
Major General
footie's Avatar
No_Country
154
Rep
7,507
Posts

 
Drives: ????????????
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: BMW M3 will get a V6TT

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Lexus IS-F Gets LSD

Lexus IS-F Gets LSD

Top-of-the-range Lexus gets a limited slip diff, plus other improvements



A series of improvements has been rolled out across the Lexus IS range, and the halo model IS-F gets a Torsen limited slip diff. Despite the fact that the 417bhp 5-litre V8 remains unchanged, the revised car gets around the Fuji International Speedway 2sec a lap quicker than the previous car according to Lexus’s own figures.

Considering that in most comparison tests the M3 is roughly 2~3 seconds quicker on tracks of similar duration this should place the improved IS-F right up there in acceleration. Only it's looks are the sticking point now.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 07:26 AM   #2
zenderm3
Lieutenant Colonel
zenderm3's Avatar
Australia
33
Rep
1,961
Posts

 
Drives: E36 M3 DY/2010 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Brisbane

iTrader: (0)

Hmmm +1 Footie - Lexus has a lot of ground to make up to the looks of the M3
__________________
________________
My ///M is in my garage .... and it is a beast!
2010 E92 M3 Space Grey | Fully Loaded
1996 E36 M3 Dakar Yellow - No Longer With Me
2004 Honda Accord Euro - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 08:05 AM   #3
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
69
Rep
4,643
Posts

 
Drives: .
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

Cool info!

I was very close the getting the IS F before I got my M3.

Unfortunately, it only took one test drive to understand that its driving experience wasn't up to par for me. And it most probably still isn't despite now getting the few upgrades to make it faster.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 08:53 AM   #4
MJC///M3
Colonel
MJC///M3's Avatar
United_States
28
Rep
2,327
Posts

 
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bronx, NYC

iTrader: (0)

interesting news.....

i'd still take the M3 anyday......
__________________
"You will get there, but it is up to you and you alone. It is what you are willing to do, and how you are willing to get there. You must be relentless, you must be tireless, you must pursue at all costs, so that you are ready, when the time is right." -Dad
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 03:27 PM   #5
Cabinetman
Lieutenant
7
Rep
432
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 IS-F
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Keller, TX

iTrader: (0)

As a former F owner I think this is a good upgrade to a really nice car. The 2010 IS-F is also getting the new Lexus HD nav. One thing I don't like about the new IS-F is the redesigned wheels. I really like the wheels on my 2008 model, but the new ones are a little to much for my taste.

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 03:38 PM   #6
roller
Private First Class
roller's Avatar
3
Rep
164
Posts

 
Drives: E92
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: OC, CA

iTrader: (0)

The ISF didn't have a LSD before? wow..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 03:54 PM   #7
330CIZHP
Major
Canada
31
Rep
1,211
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 330 CI ZHP
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta

iTrader: (0)

Out of curosity, what were the reasons you sold the IS-F to get the M3??



Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabinetman View Post
As a former F owner I think this is a good upgrade to a really nice car. The 2010 IS-F is also getting the new Lexus HD nav. One thing I don't like about the new IS-F is the redesigned wheels. I really like the wheels on my 2008 model, but the new ones are a little to much for my taste.

__________________
""A great sounding, responsive, high-revving, naturally aspirated engine is part of the DNA of a thoroughbred sports car. No two ways about it."

- Lamborghini on turbocharging
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 04:23 PM   #8
Cabinetman
Lieutenant
7
Rep
432
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 IS-F
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Keller, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330CIZHP View Post
Out of curosity, what were the reasons you sold the IS-F to get the M3??
I sold the IS-F because of money. I had paid cash for the car and started feeling guilty because my wife really wanted a swimming pool for her and the kids to enjoy while she is off during the summer. I sold the F and built the pool for my wife.

After going a bit without a car to play with I decided to rectify the situation even if it meant having a car payment. Since I have wanted an M3 for a number of years I decided to order one. The M I test drove seemed a little lighter on its feet than the F. I'm expecting the overall driving experience to be more involving with the BMW. I think I will miss the interior of the Lexus which was well laid out and was just a tight the day I sold it as day one. My kids will appreciate the larger back seat of the M even though they rarely ride in my car.

Once my E90 arrives and I get past the break in I plan to write up a comparison. I hope I like the M3 better, but I can't guarantee I will because of how much I enjoyed the Lexus.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 05:11 PM   #9
330CIZHP
Major
Canada
31
Rep
1,211
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 330 CI ZHP
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta

iTrader: (0)

Well, M3 is definitely the "benchmark of the class" so you would definitely like it. M3 is indeed lighter on its feet because it weighs over 200 lbs less.

Having driven both, you will probably feel a difference in the low end torque in the city driving when you use only 2000 - 3000 rpm (300 ft-lbs vs 371 ft-lbs) and the stock exhaust on M3 is quieter, but aftermarket exhausts make it sound like a muscle car mixed with F1 racing car, but the quick revving nature of the M3, sound and the brute thrust from 6000 rpm to 8400 rpm will make you forget the IS-F.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabinetman View Post
I sold the IS-F because of money. I had paid cash for the car and started feeling guilty because my wife really wanted a swimming pool for her and the kids to enjoy while she is off during the summer. I sold the F and built the pool for my wife.

After going a bit without a car to play with I decided to rectify the situation even if it meant having a car payment. Since I have wanted an M3 for a number of years I decided to order one. The M I test drove seemed a little lighter on its feet than the F. I'm expecting the overall driving experience to be more involving with the BMW. I think I will miss the interior of the Lexus which was well laid out and was just a tight the day I sold it as day one. My kids will appreciate the larger back seat of the M even though they rarely ride in my car.

Once my E90 arrives and I get past the break in I plan to write up a comparison. I hope I like the M3 better, but I can't guarantee I will because of how much I enjoyed the Lexus.
__________________
""A great sounding, responsive, high-revving, naturally aspirated engine is part of the DNA of a thoroughbred sports car. No two ways about it."

- Lamborghini on turbocharging
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 05:47 PM   #10
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
69
Rep
4,643
Posts

 
Drives: .
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabinetman View Post
I sold the IS-F because of money. I had paid cash for the car and started feeling guilty because my wife really wanted a swimming pool for her and the kids to enjoy while she is off during the summer. I sold the F and built the pool for my wife.

After going a bit without a car to play with I decided to rectify the situation even if it meant having a car payment. Since I have wanted an M3 for a number of years I decided to order one. The M I test drove seemed a little lighter on its feet than the F. I'm expecting the overall driving experience to be more involving with the BMW. I think I will miss the interior of the Lexus which was well laid out and was just a tight the day I sold it as day one. My kids will appreciate the larger back seat of the M even though they rarely ride in my car.

Once my E90 arrives and I get past the break in I plan to write up a comparison. I hope I like the M3 better, but I can't guarantee I will because of how much I enjoyed the Lexus.
MAke no mistake. I've test driven both, and I strongly feel the M3 is a much more athletic beast. The M3's driving experience is on a totaly different level.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 06:05 PM   #11
M3_WC
Colonel
29
Rep
2,242
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Lexus IS-F Gets LSD

Top-of-the-range Lexus gets a limited slip diff, plus other improvements

A series of improvements has been rolled out across the Lexus IS range, and the halo model IS-F gets a Torsen limited slip diff. Despite the fact that the 417bhp 5-litre V8 remains unchanged, the revised car gets around the Fuji International Speedway 2sec a lap quicker than the previous car according to Lexus’s own figures.

Considering that in most comparison tests the M3 is roughly 2~3 seconds quicker on tracks of similar duration this should place the improved IS-F right up there in acceleration. Only it's looks are the sticking point now.


It was more than a 2~3 second gap.


http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/.../photo_16.html


I guess it is now on par with a C63 around a track, not the M3.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 07:54 PM   #12
330CIZHP
Major
Canada
31
Rep
1,211
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 330 CI ZHP
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta

iTrader: (0)

Nurburgring Laptimes:

M3: 8:05
IS-F: 8:20

I doubt the LSD is going to bring the times much closer other than a couple of tenths.


Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
It was more than a 2~3 second gap.


http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/.../photo_16.html


I guess it is now on par with a C63 around a track, not the M3.
__________________
""A great sounding, responsive, high-revving, naturally aspirated engine is part of the DNA of a thoroughbred sports car. No two ways about it."

- Lamborghini on turbocharging
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 12:52 AM   #13
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
28
Rep
1,935
Posts

 
Drives: '14 W212 AMG S, '12 958 S
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Irvine, CA

iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to a burrito
That's great news. Honestly, I think every RWD car should come with a LSD. I hope that pushes mercedes to put LSD in the C63 as stock equipment.
__________________
Peanut Butter Chunky
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 12:54 AM   #14
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
28
Rep
1,935
Posts

 
Drives: '14 W212 AMG S, '12 958 S
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Irvine, CA

iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to a burrito
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabinetman View Post
As a former F owner I think this is a good upgrade to a really nice car. The 2010 IS-F is also getting the new Lexus HD nav. One thing I don't like about the new IS-F is the redesigned wheels. I really like the wheels on my 2008 model, but the new ones are a little to much for my taste.

What color was your F? And what kind of Gas mileage did you see? I saw a silver one last week on the freeway and man it looks Great in silver. Jeebus what a aggressive looking car indeed.
__________________
Peanut Butter Chunky
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 02:36 AM   #15
isugoo
Major General
isugoo's Avatar
United_States
69
Rep
5,724
Posts

 
Drives: 14 M5 CP
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Irvine, CA

iTrader: (62)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330CIZHP View Post
Nurburgring Laptimes:

M3: 8:05
IS-F: 8:20

I doubt the LSD is going to bring the times much closer other than a couple of tenths.
Keep in mind that you can't compare Fuji International Speedway and the Ring lap times.

Fuji speedway is like a driveway distance compare to the Ring.
__________________

PAST: 11 E70 X5M | 08 E90 M3 | 08 E92 335i | 03.5 E46 M3 | 99 E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 02:48 AM   #16
JetBlack5OC
Major
14
Rep
1,132
Posts

 
Drives: E60&E92
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: west

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by isugoo View Post
Keep in mind that you can't compare Fuji International Speedway and the Ring lap times.

Fuji speedway is like a driveway distance compare to the Ring.
Thats why I compared the 2.83 mile Fuji speedway to the 2.74 mile Reno-Fernley Raceway.

The IS-F was slower than the C63 around the track, and more than the quoted 2~3 seconds behind the M3.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/.../photo_16.html

So simply adding a LSD to the IS-F will not bring it to M3 lap times. Good try though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a burrito View Post
That's great news. Honestly, I think every RWD car should come with a LSD. I hope that pushes mercedes to put LSD in the C63 as stock equipment.
Mercedes does offer a LSD in stock form.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 03:54 AM   #17
footie
Major General
footie's Avatar
No_Country
154
Rep
7,507
Posts

 
Drives: ????????????
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: BMW M3 will get a V6TT

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
It was more than a 2~3 second gap.


http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/.../photo_16.html


I guess it is now on par with a C63 around a track, not the M3.
Fuji is a track that will produce a time of around 2 minutes in something like the IS-F, it's of similar length to that of the Hockenheim GP course which with the IS-F takes 2:04.45, if what Lexus are say is true and on a roughly 2 minute lap the improved IS-F will shed 2 seconds then that would mean a lap time of 2:02.45 which is remarkably similar to the E90 M3 at 2:02.71.

Hopefully you can see my point now.

Though to put it frankly I don't understand some of the defence comments on this forum, what is exactly wrong with another competitor's car being as good as an M3, there is a lot more an just performance to the decision process, well it is for me anyway.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 04:05 AM   #18
footie
Major General
footie's Avatar
No_Country
154
Rep
7,507
Posts

 
Drives: ????????????
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: BMW M3 will get a V6TT

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330CIZHP View Post
Nurburgring Laptimes:

M3: 8:05
IS-F: 8:20

I doubt the LSD is going to bring the times much closer other than a couple of tenths.
The IS-F time for the ring is actually 8:18 (sorry for correcting you) and to be honest I doubt that a slip would drop this by 13 seconds as there is much more important things which would need to be done as well as a LSD, if suspension tweaks are included as part of the overall changes then it's possible that it could be close. But as I said above, that is much more than pure performance figures in decided a new car, even when the cars in question are performance versions.

P.S.
On a similar note, I would love to know what's the difference between the S4 and the S5, the Audi S5 posted something like 8:25 in it's basic form and I would love to know how much of an improvement all that new technology (Sportsdiff, adaptive suspension, adaptive steering and DSG) plus the lighter torquier V6 will make. If it's 10 whole seconds better then every one of those options would be money well spent.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 05:08 AM   #19
MrHarris
yodog
MrHarris's Avatar
United_States
77
Rep
5,037
Posts

 
Drives: '86 Corolla
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Diamond Bar, Ca

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2009 BMW  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to MrHarris
I think the IS-F looks very aggressive and I do like it. More than the M3? No, but it still looks very nice to me. I do also like the new 2010 wheels, look great for stock! I just wonder, with the IS-F and the C63, with all that torque, why do they only use 255mm rubber in the rear? I easily broke traction with 265's in the rear with the M3's 295tq, I can't imagine 371/440tq with 255s...
__________________

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 05:14 AM   #20
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Robin_NL's Avatar
Netherlands
82
Rep
4,696
Posts

 
Drives: AW 1M , Assetto Corsa
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The Netherlands, Europe

iTrader: (0)

Damn, I thought they'd eventually fit a 9 speed autobox....
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 05:16 AM   #21
MrHarris
yodog
MrHarris's Avatar
United_States
77
Rep
5,037
Posts

 
Drives: '86 Corolla
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Diamond Bar, Ca

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2009 BMW  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to MrHarris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post
Damn, I thought they'd eventually fit a 9 speed autobox....
LOL I wonder when the day will come when we see a 10 speed slushie
__________________

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 06:42 AM   #22
Cabinetman
Lieutenant
7
Rep
432
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 IS-F
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Keller, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by a burrito View Post
What color was your F? And what kind of Gas mileage did you see? I saw a silver one last week on the freeway and man it looks Great in silver. Jeebus what a aggressive looking car indeed.
Mine was Mercury Metallic (silver). I averaged between 18 and 19 mpg. On the highway with the cruise set around 75mph I would get 26 mpg. I was very impressed with the gas mileage considering the performance of the car. It also kept the F from getting hit with a gas guzzler tax.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:10 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST