BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

Strasse Wheels

09-15-2009, 03:19 PM   #1
EDK99
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07 E85 M

House bans the word "liar"

How crazy is this.
http://www.politico.com/blogs/glennt..._putdowns.html

At least they can still use the word nitwit.

I'm sure when the next Republican president takes office these rules will be done away with. For Bush's 8 years in office I think the Dems called him every name in the book. Isn't it nice how the Dems are no trying to control what words you can or can't say.
      09-15-2009, 03:25 PM   #2
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Drives: VF

Wow.

Well I guess I can sleep better at night knowing that we have a President and majority in congress who get so damn butt-hurt when being called out....

And our taxes paid for this bullshit. Unfuckingbelievable.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2009, 06:22 PM   #3
Nixon
Banned
Rep

Drives: :

Ha ha.

What a bunch of losers whining about their Senator having to be told the difference between a Presidential Address of Congress and an episode of the Jerry Springer show!!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2009, 10:58 PM   #4
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep

Drives: sideways

So it's okay to say half-baked nitwits are using legislative porking of this country to get what they want?

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 12:36 AM   #5
scollins
Bootleggin' 'n Gunrunnin'
No_Country
Rep

Drives: 2010 e70 X5 35d

And according to Jimmy Carter, a white man shouting "you lie" to a black man is clear indications of racism invading politics:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32869276...s-capitol_hill

Really? I guess we need to add "you lie!" to the list of racial epithets.....

ZAP | ZCW | ZPP | ZPS | ZRC | ZTP | 322 | 328 | 330 | 386 | 4AZ | 4UB | 655 | 6FL | 6NF
2008 Ducati 1098S Red naturally....
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 01:29 AM   #6
sayemthree
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: bmw

where is the first amendment? going away with the 2nd?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 02:25 AM   #7
DaveO
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 3 BMWs

Send a message via AIM to DaveO
This has nothing to do with amendments for freedom of speech, it has to do with rules of decorum between members of congress, rules that have been strictly enforced since the inception of this country. You guys need to learn a little about history and see how past senators and representatives who decided to be assholes in the chambers of congress have been dealt with in the past. This is no different. If these types of rules werent enforced then at every single speech ANY president makes to congress, people would be calling him a liar or worse.

This should be common sense. Obviously what was completly lost on the congressman is lost on you guys.... so sad.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 08:19 AM   #8
nostrum09
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO View Post
This has nothing to do with amendments for freedom of speech, it has to do with rules of decorum between members of congress, rules that have been strictly enforced since the inception of this country. You guys need to learn a little about history and see how past senators and representatives who decided to be assholes in the chambers of congress have been dealt with in the past. This is no different. If these types of rules werent enforced then at every single speech ANY president makes to congress, people would be calling him a liar or worse.

This should be common sense. Obviously what was completly lost on the congressman is lost on you guys.... so sad.
I think this issue goes a bit deeper than just maintaining decorum while the President gives a speech to Congress. I think it shows moreso how respect for our current President is dwindling, not just among Republicans but even among Democrats. Rather than spending time updating rules on what is okay to say and what is not, perhaps the President (and all of Congress) should spend more time working to better the country -- if they do that, they'll actually earn respect, rather than assuming it should just be given to them because of who they are.

Also interesting of note is the prohibition against referring to alleged "sexual misconduct." Has Slick Willy been helping out in Congress?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 09:25 AM   #9
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Drives: VF

They should move the assembly into a circus tent on the lawn. It would be more fitting.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 11:04 AM   #10
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
Which man was telling the truth? Mr. Obama, or Congressman Wilson?

Censure the liar.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 01:39 PM   #11
JB135i
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 135i

Was the chicken or the egg first?

Let's look, Obama lied and he was called out on it.

If he didn't lie, the incident would never have happened, now would it?

I think the rule should apply to ALL House Members speeches then too, not just on the floor, hey decorum is decorum right?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 02:02 PM   #12
Nixon
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayemthree View Post
where is the first amendment? going away with the 2nd?
Don't worry sayemthree, you can still go on Jerry Springer and call your wife/mother/transvestite lover a liar. Nothing done here will abridge your first amendment rights.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 03:10 PM   #13
TexAg06
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2007 E90

actually past rules of decorum were much more relaxed than they are now. the vitriol spewed way back when was not for the faint of heart.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 07:15 PM   #14
DaveO
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 3 BMWs

Send a message via AIM to DaveO
Quote:
Originally Posted by nostrum09 View Post
I think this issue goes a bit deeper than just maintaining decorum while the President gives a speech to Congress. I think it shows moreso how respect for our current President is dwindling, not just among Republicans but even among Democrats. Rather than spending time updating rules on what is okay to say and what is not, perhaps the President (and all of Congress) should spend more time working to better the country -- if they do that, they'll actually earn respect, rather than assuming it should just be given to them because of who they are.

Also interesting of note is the prohibition against referring to alleged "sexual misconduct." Has Slick Willy been helping out in Congress?
You lie!!! j/k j/k I think the rules have always been extremly strict (atleast on the Senate side), they just aren't written down anywhere and are enforced in the backrooms without the need to haul people infront of hearings or be called out in public for misconducts. Next time you have the news on and you see an interview of a senator, he will never ever refer to another senator derogatorily, even if he hates him. In fact, in many cases they would customarily refer to other senators as 'the good senator from..', etc.. even if they in actually hate the other person or the other side. Its a tradition we have always had, and one that I actually love. The same level of politics don't really apply to the house which by its size and nature has always been more of a loose cannon, but when both houses convene together, Senate rules always take over.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 08:33 PM   #15
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Drives: // 135i //, X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post
Which man was telling the truth? Mr. Obama, or Congressman Wilson?

Censure the liar.
Done thanks;

Wilson wrong on accusation: link

Then went on to lie about having been an immigration lawyer himself: Link
- 08 135i - Wavetrac LSD, AST 4100, Swift springs, Brembo GT brakes, M3 front sway, Meyle HD links, Dinan Camber plates, Whiteline subframe bushings, M3 rear guide and upper link, M3 front control arms, HP custom M3 front Strut brace, Megan rear control arms, F30 brake shields -
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 09:24 PM   #16
Nixon
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MteK View Post
Done thanks;

pwnage...
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 09:44 PM   #17
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixon View Post
pwnage...
What "pwnage"? Where did I take a position on this? How can it be considered "pwnage" when a reply is given to a post that had no stated position? Or were you not referring to his reply to my post?

Has the ACORN situation affected your employment?

offTopic - politics - ChoppedPhoto
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 09:51 PM   #18
Nixon
Banned
Rep

Quote:
What "pwnage"? Where did I take a position on this? How can it be considered "pwnage" when a reply is given to a post that had no stated position? Or were you not referring to his reply to my post?

Complete pwnage of Wilson by the two sources.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2009, 12:17 AM   #19
Septro
Banned
Rep

Drives: '08 e90 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MteK View Post
Done thanks;

The link, like other liberal equivocations, goes back and forth on the actual issue. From the link:
Quote:
FAIR has a point that illegal immigrants would likely be able to buy insurance on the national health insurance exchange. We don't see anything in the bills that would hinder that. A Congressional Research Service report issued Aug. 25, 2009, confirmed our observation. The House bill "does not contain any restrictions on noncitzens participating in the Exchange whether the noncitizens are legally or illegally present, or in the United States temporarily or permanently," the report said.
then goes on to double-take on that assertion:
Quote:
But it's worth pointing out that illegal immigrants participating in the exchange would be paying for their insurance like everyone else. That's similar to the current system we're not aware of any particular restrictions that stop illegal immigrants from buying private insurance now. Under health care reform, illegal immigrants would be able to buy private insurance or the public option
So its ok for illegal immigrants to partake in a gov't run public option as long as they pay their own way? Where is the humanity for the liberals since their stance is that we should cover all those in need? If they can't afford it, can we provide them tax-credits or subsidies as proposed for the lower income folks? I mean since the status quo doesn't enforce the illegal immigrant participation - why not codify it into law?

Did the President lie - technically no, but dam if the spirit of what he said carried no weight. Sorta like this cartoon:
Name:  imig.gif
Views: 40
Size:  70.3 KB
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2009, 12:33 AM   #20
Prowess Symphony
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: ///Mistress

Garage List
Quote:

Appreciate 0
      09-17-2009, 01:13 AM   #21
Nixon
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septro View Post
So its ok for illegal immigrants to partake in a gov't run public option as long as they pay their own way?
If we could get all the illegal immigrants to pay 110% of their own way, I'd be one happy MF'er.

Then we could get on with it and focus on fining and jailing the employers who create the market for illegal labor
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2009, 01:20 AM   #22
Carter N
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: 09' GTI

those democrats are at it again, asking grown senators to act like adults, who do they think they are? i mean shit, if they had planned on becoming respected, well educated, and properly mannered people they would have been a preacher...amirite?

tellin' them not to yell and scream like 10 year olds, what's next? asking them not to have gay relationships with their yound male interns... what is this country coming to.
Appreciate 0