BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

09-17-2009, 02:23 PM   #23
adc
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2009 E90 M3 ED

Wow, sounds like a lot of fun you guys had... are Marylanders welcome to these escapades?

I'm hoping to get my car redelivered this weekend and would love to hear a few different exhausts. Can't make up my mind from listening sound clips...
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2009, 04:05 PM   #24
DarkstarZero
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: e39 M5, e36 M3, e92 M3, Z4M

Send a message via AIM to DarkstarZero
Quote:
Originally Posted by darwin316 View Post
As for the M3 vs. C63... I had two different C63s following me at different points of the ride and they were not able to match the cornering speeds of my M3. Initially, I was following DarkstarZero with the M-Coupe... his lines were way tighter than what the M3 can handle but I was able to stay on his tail. The C63 could not. There was a point where it was just me and DarkstarZero after a series of corners...until we reached a straight line and the C63 was able to catch up.
It's always nice to hear compliments on your driving The best part is I know I had room before I hit the limit. It really helps to attend monthly autocrosses so you become very familiar with driving on the limit
      09-18-2009, 09:45 PM   #25
mdrobc13
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2012 BMW 550i  [5.00]
Send a message via MSN to mdrobc13 Send a message via Yahoo to mdrobc13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-ZERO View Post
Yes, a few of the guys had other tire brands but I cannot recall which. The ambient temp was about 68-70F and we were running our cars for about 2 hours by the time we hit skyline; I assume the tires must of been at peak operating temp by then. I experienced no squirming/squealing at all; completely silent with tons of grip.

-SZ
Me mdrobc13 chiming in here. I am one of the ones running aftermarket tires and yes I felt the difference in performance. I was the only Sparkling Graphite coupe out there and I have VMR V710's in graphite with Continental Contisport 3 at 245/35 R19 and 275/30 R19 rubber and I definately was at a loss of traction in some of the turns/cornering. I forget who was behind me in the Blue e92 M3 but he was like "you're rear is breaking loose in some of those turns" cause he could see it jumping. It wasn't cause I was trying but I think a combo of loss of grip into some of the turns and me thinking I was back at the M school in the DCT cars and going into the curves/corners with a little more excess speed and hotter than I would have liked. But I definately felt it in the car easily controlled enough by backing down a bit; but enough that I am going back to PS2's probably when the Conti's run their due course/lifespan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwin316 View Post
I think Baarii had the Gintani catless, non-resonated xpipes... quiet on the low rpms but HOWLS in the upper rpms.

I had the Vanguard and the low end growl is loud, but the high end is nice.

DonDon had the Eisenmann Race and it was louder than my Vanguard exhaust.

Shareefo had the Gintani axle back exhaust and it was definitely the loudest there... like an american V8.

mdrobc13 had the Eisenmann Sport and it was the quietest of the aftermarket exhausts.

azzuro had the stock exhaust painted black with the stock chrome tips and it's a 100x better than stock!

edit: there was a member there with an AA Sig Exhaust and it probably has one of the loudest lower end sound in the bunch.

As for the M3 vs. C63... I had two different C63s following me at different points of the ride and they were not able to match the cornering speeds of my M3. Initially, I was following DarkstarZero with the M-Coupe... his lines were way tighter than what the M3 can handle but I was able to stay on his tail. The C63 could not. There was a point where it was just me and DarkstarZero after a series of corners...until we reached a straight line and the C63 was able to catch up.

All in all... it was a great time enjoyed by everyone!

edit:

I also have DCT and used it 100% of the time. Perfect downshifting/upshifting through the corners...
mdrobc13...I disagree...the Eissenman Sport was NOT quiet; just not the loudest car out there! More balanced I'd say; the x pipe cars especially Baarii's were banannas and the Andropov was loud as hell; sounded like we were at Laguna Seca or something!

Quote:
Originally Posted by novablackm3 View Post
i have to disagree w/ the DCT.

i was one of 2 shifting and i was all over your tail going down the mountains and was tempted to pass you

IMO, you just can't beat getting a full workout w/ your left foot and right hand .

also PS2's are great but not the best all out summer dry traction.

fabspeed HFC is next for me and a re-tune of the AA after that.
Just left Fabspeed's shop in Pa this afternoon...they have X-pipe's in stock and a complete exhaust for the e92 M3 now. Check it out guys www.fabspeed.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Wow, sounds like a lot of fun you guys had... are Marylanders welcome to these escapades?

I'm hoping to get my car redelivered this weekend and would love to hear a few different exhausts. Can't make up my mind from listening sound clips...
We take e92 M3's from anywhere or any enthusiasts...remember we even showed that we can play nice with the C63's!

Speaking of which guys we GOTTA do this again...like next month before it gets too cold!
'14 F06 650xi Gran Coupe (Carbon Black)- Mine #1
'10 e70 X5M (Sapphire Black Mettalic) - Mine #2
'12 F10 550i (Dinan modded) - Gone
'10 e71 X6 35iDrive SAV (Space Gray) - Gone
'08 e92 M3 coupe (Sparkling Graphite) -Gone
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2009, 09:59 PM   #26
JeffC
User
Rep

Drives: 4 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-ZERO View Post
4. Exhaust...exhaust...exhausts. Ok, I've been eyeing a few exhaust systems for my M3 until last Saturday when I actually had a chance to hear a few.

- Now, the Gintani is crazy loud and the diameter of the tailpipes is quite large. Too big for some...

- The Vanguard Ti is nice and sounds very aggressive (not as loud as the Gintani but close); if you can get passed the blueish coloring, then it will be a good choice.

- I initially wanted an Eisenmann Sport but EVERYONE on the forum referred to it as quiet and tame. Well, let me tell you that quiet and tame it is not. The Eisenmann Sport sound sgreat (very deep) and IMO, it is perfectly balanced with the M3.

- One of the guys had an X-Pipe with a stock muffler and that thing sounded like a freaking Ferrari! If an aggressive sound is what you are after, then forget about some overpriced exhaust and just get the X-Pipe. Really, it is that crazy! The sound is simply amazing!

The M3 is so well balanced out of the box, that you must really be careful on how you "upgrade" it because it can definitely be a downgrade.

When it comes to tires, go with the PS2s or better if you can find it.

Don't listen to all the third party opinions about exhausts...go listen to them for yourself and make a choice. I almost made the wrong choice.

-SZ
You really think the Vanguard is that loud? Maybe Darwin just has a heavy foot One thing I noticed about the Vanguard is that it can be tame and really rip open when you hammer it. Its way quieter than the Eisenmann Race thats for sure.
Appreciate 0