BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
GTB Performance
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-15-2009, 10:13 AM   #67
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
 
Singletrack's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 12 AW X5d
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Posts: 3,795
iTrader: (3)

I like the people that judge other people for what they want or don't want out of the car. That's classic.
Singletrack is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-15-2009, 11:33 PM   #68
aus
Major General
 
Drives: Odysse
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seal Beach, CA

Posts: 7,299
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
I like the people that judge other people for what they want or don't want out of the car. That's classic.
So someone who wants front and rear camera's, iDrive, ventilated a/c seats is a true track junkie?
__________________
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
aus is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2009, 12:36 AM   #69
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
 
Singletrack's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 12 AW X5d
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Posts: 3,795
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
So someone who wants front and rear camera's, iDrive, ventilated a/c seats is a true track junkie?
The E9x M3 is not a track car, it is a luxury GT car that is extremely capable on the track. If you want to do a barebones M3 because YOU are a track junky, more power to you. Don't judge others because they use the car for something different or have different expectations.

Furthermore, if you have a problem with BMW's direction, why don't you write them a letter instead of insulting people that don't share your singular vision of what the M3 should be, but clearly is not?
Singletrack is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2009, 01:06 AM   #70
ooowowizstev
Brigadier General
 
Drives: '08 E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles, Irvine

Posts: 4,126
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 BMW E92 M3  [5.00]
+10000 to the bbk's.
__________________
'08 E92 ///M3 - AW/BLK/CF, M-DCT, 19's
H&R, Vorsteiner, Eisenmann, BMC, BBS More to come...
ooowowizstev is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2009, 01:12 AM   #71
m3sparky
First Lieutenant
 
m3sparky's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 gtr be
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: roseville ca

Posts: 320
iTrader: (2)

the m3 is what it is, if you are more luxury guy. go for the isf, if you like the track get the gt3, and if you cant afford that but want a track car with some luxury items , well you already have it , the m3
m3sparky is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2009, 01:27 AM   #72
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
 
Drives: .
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: .

Posts: 4,643
iTrader: (0)

^ And if you want a SMOKIN' HOT track car that's in the M3's price range, but can whoop some serious a$$.......Go for the GT-R.
Nawaaz is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2009, 01:36 AM   #73
michaeldorian
Captain
 
Drives: Beater Nissan Truck
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Seattle, WA

Posts: 963
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawaaz View Post
^ And if you want a SMOKIN' HOT track car that's in the M3's price range, but can whoop some serious a$$.......Go for the GT-R.
Have you driven one?
__________________
michaeldorian is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2009, 03:51 AM   #74
ooowowizstev
Brigadier General
 
Drives: '08 E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles, Irvine

Posts: 4,126
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 BMW E92 M3  [5.00]
Oh and a factory alarm would be nice and definitely some LED tails. And a cool option that I'd probably pay for is like remote start on the DCT's.
__________________
'08 E92 ///M3 - AW/BLK/CF, M-DCT, 19's
H&R, Vorsteiner, Eisenmann, BMC, BBS More to come...
ooowowizstev is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2009, 08:06 AM   #75
Big Windy
Major General
 
Big Windy's Avatar
 
Drives: audi s4
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: seatac, wa

Posts: 5,118
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Thank you sir. Finally someone gets it.

I think the obsession with the camera's is for people CAN'T DRIVE FOR CRAP.


Technic''s ideas are a good start, but iDrive should not be standard. I have no use for it and think it's ugly and it doesn't add any performance capability to the car.

Brake ducting should be preparded for so you can just snap on some Performance ducts to the rotors.
+1 on the iDrive...i have grown to like the new 2009 system, but I would prefer to not have it. my only fear is that iDrive makes a lot of functions very simple, which might be hard with a regular stereo deck. this is why MDM, premium audio, and other similar features require iDrive.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
The E9x M3 is not a track car, it is a luxury GT car that is extremely capable on the track. If you want to do a barebones M3 because YOU are a track junky, more power to you. Don't judge others because they use the car for something different or have different expectations.

Furthermore, if you have a problem with BMW's direction, why don't you write them a letter instead of insulting people that don't share your singular vision of what the M3 should be, but clearly is not?
True, the M3 is not a track car, but "luxury GT" is highly debatable. I guess everyone might have a different definition. I'd group the M3 as a sports GT or simply as a sports car. Seeing that the car is coming from M GmbH, the emphasis is definitely on "sport" over "luxury" (or at least it should be!).


Quote:
Originally Posted by ooowowizstev View Post
Oh and a factory alarm would be nice and definitely some LED tails. And a cool option that I'd probably pay for is like remote start on the DCT's.
+1 on factory alarm...LED tails coming soon!
__________________
Big Windy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2009, 08:36 AM   #76
zuggerat89
Still waiting...
 
zuggerat89's Avatar
 
Drives: OGV
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Monmouth County, NJ

Posts: 887
iTrader: (0)

gathering on some other posts --- a club sport option would be cool...

ungraded brakes
power seat delete
brake ducts
intake plenum
revised suspension
weight reduction
zuggerat89 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2009, 08:52 AM   #77
MrHarris
yodog
 
MrHarris's Avatar
 
Drives: '86 Corolla
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Diamond Bar, Ca

Posts: 5,037
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2009 BMW  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to MrHarris
MDM should be STANDARD. Really pathetic you have to buy the Tech package which opens a new can of worms --- EDC.
__________________

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
MrHarris is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2009, 10:05 AM   #78
aus
Major General
 
Drives: Odysse
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seal Beach, CA

Posts: 7,299
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
The E9x M3 is not a track car, it is a luxury GT car that is extremely capable on the track. If you want to do a barebones M3 because YOU are a track junky, more power to you. Don't judge others because they use the car for something different or have different expectations.

Furthermore, if you have a problem with BMW's direction, why don't you write them a letter instead of insulting people that don't share your singular vision of what the M3 should be, but clearly is not?
That's my point exactly.
If you know anything about how the M3 started, you'd understand why I'm not a fan of what it's turning into. The M division use to have a "singular vision" of what they were producing.

And I don't need to write them a letter because they monitor these boards.
__________________
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
aus is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2009, 10:12 AM   #79
aus
Major General
 
Drives: Odysse
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seal Beach, CA

Posts: 7,299
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
+1 on the iDrive...i have grown to like the new 2009 system, but I would prefer to not have it. my only fear is that iDrive makes a lot of functions very simple, which might be hard with a regular stereo deck. this is why MDM, premium audio, and other similar features require iDrive.

+1 on factory alarm...LED tails coming soon!
I see your point, but they could implement MDM with the existing DSC button. One push for MDM and hold it down for disengaging DSC completely.
As for the LED tails, they had it in the last generationg and then took it away, just so they can say, "we made some upgrades mid cycle." Kinda stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
MDM should be STANDARD. Really pathetic you have to buy the Tech package which opens a new can of worms --- EDC.
I agree completely.
__________________
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
aus is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2009, 10:42 AM   #80
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
 
Singletrack's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 12 AW X5d
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Posts: 3,795
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
That's my point exactly.
If you know anything about how the M3 started, you'd understand why I'm not a fan of what it's turning into. The M division use to have a "singular vision" of what they were producing.

And I don't need to write them a letter because they monitor these boards.
The E30 M3 is an icon, and I'd love to own one in the future. But to suggest that the people buying the E92 should have the same standards as those that bought the E30 seems absurd to me. The car, the M strategy, the auto industry, and the target market has evolved in the past 23 years. I don't find fault with you having an issue with the evolution of the strategy; it's the contempt for the people that don't share your views that I find unreasonable.
Singletrack is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2009, 10:44 AM   #81
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
 
Singletrack's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 12 AW X5d
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Posts: 3,795
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
MDM should be STANDARD. Really pathetic you have to buy the Tech package which opens a new can of worms --- EDC.
I do think the packaging on the options of the M3, and BMW in general, really suck right now. They remind me of what the cable companies do with channels - package 10 shitty channels with the 1 you want in some obscure package.
Singletrack is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2009, 11:07 AM   #82
Silverstone
Lieutenant
 
Silverstone's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW M3 E93 M DCT SILVERSTONE
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Saudi Arabia

Posts: 534
iTrader: (0)

I look at it this way, Im buying a BMW that has a solid price tag on it. I have expectations of whats gonna be in it as a standard. I know im buying a BMW and im gonna enjoy what the R&D has come up with for their new cars.

Yes they wanna keep the car's weight decent enough to make the best out of the engine and handling. but when i find silly things i gotta pay extra for that have already become a standard in most cars it really bothers me.

forget about bluetooth and camera and all these gadgets that i personally dont mind having. But i cant forget about MDM and all the other performance options that should come with an M car but dont. Its like they wanna take away your money in any possible way.
__________________
Silverstone is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2009, 12:23 PM   #83
808MGuy
Colonel
 
808MGuy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Oahu, Hawaii

Posts: 2,270
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
I see your point, but they could implement MDM with the existing DSC button. One push for MDM and hold it down for disengaging DSC completely.
MDM is not only an on/off thing. You have to set the individual settings for the 4 or 5 things that are adjustable in the MDM menu. How would you do that without a GUI like the iDrive screen? You could display it on the instrument cluster LCD but now we're talking about redesigning the whole control system.
__________________
09 E90 M3 - Interlagos Blue / Black Novillo / Sycamore Anthracite / Eibach / HRE

808MGuy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2009, 12:28 PM   #84
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
 
southlight's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Germany

Posts: 6,746
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
MDM is not only an on/off thing. You have to set the individual settings for the 4 or 5 things that are adjustable in the MDM menu. How would you do that without a GUI like the iDrive screen? You could display it on the instrument cluster LCD but now we're talking about redesigning the whole control system.
MDM is not to be mistaken with M Mode. The former is indeed an on/off thing which could be made available via the DSC button (just like it is for the regular cars, short push for DTC, long push for DSC off).


Best regards,
south
__________________
Those forums...WHY NOT?


JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
southlight is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2009, 12:45 PM   #85
OneHump
New Member
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Cali

Posts: 23
iTrader: (0)

I think it's hard to understand the value of a backup camera unless you've had one. I had one on my IS 350 and, after comfort access, it's the best feature on the car. You can shoehorn your car into the tiniest spaces with a camera because it lets you get your car to within 1/4" of the bumper behind you without hitting anything. It also makes backing out of parking spaces MUCH easier. I think it's a complete abortion of logic that BMWs come with so many other luxury features and miss on something so simple.

I'd also like to see the "dual" feature on climate control. It's silly to have the passenger side at one setting, say 70, while mine is at 63 or 80. Like any other car, I should be able to hit a button and make them sync.

The absolute worst feature of this car is the reset of recirc after every start. If I want my air to stay in the car, it should stay in the car. It's annoying to have to switch to recirc every time I get in the car. The same holds true for the shift setting (S5). It defaults to S3.

Everything else is fantastic.
OneHump is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2009, 03:36 PM   #86
OneHump
New Member
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Cali

Posts: 23
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray23 View Post
You know theres a problem when the back up camera is the best feature of the car.
There would be a problem if it were the best feature of an M3, but it was certainly among the top two features of my IS 350.

When there's a problem is when people are too afraid of folding mirrors because it adds weight. This isn't a race car folks. In most cases it's a daily driver. For that reason, it should have amenities. I know a lot of you can't handle the extra 2 oz. of weight a backup camera will add, but it's a useful feature.

I'll bet that most of you could either stand to lose a few inches of waist line to compensate for the weight of your amenities, or perhaps washing out some of that hair gel would compensate.
OneHump is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2009, 03:54 PM   #87
aus
Major General
 
Drives: Odysse
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seal Beach, CA

Posts: 7,299
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
MDM is not only an on/off thing. You have to set the individual settings for the 4 or 5 things that are adjustable in the MDM menu. How would you do that without a GUI like the iDrive screen? You could display it on the instrument cluster LCD but now we're talking about redesigning the whole control system.
MDM allows a little more slip before DCS kicks in to save your butt.
M-Mode allows you to adjust the shocks, steering and DSC to a preset combination. I don't need adjustable steering or shocks, but I would like a more forgiving DSC to save my butt in case I screw up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
MDM is not to be mistaken with M Mode. The former is indeed an on/off thing which could be made available via the DSC button (just like it is for the regular cars, short push for DTC, long push for DSC off).


Best regards,
south
Thank you.
__________________
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
aus is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-16-2009, 03:57 PM   #88
aus
Major General
 
Drives: Odysse
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seal Beach, CA

Posts: 7,299
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
The E30 M3 is an icon, and I'd love to own one in the future. But to suggest that the people buying the E92 should have the same standards as those that bought the E30 seems absurd to me. The car, the M strategy, the auto industry, and the target market has evolved in the past 23 years. I don't find fault with you having an issue with the evolution of the strategy; it's the contempt for the people that don't share your views that I find unreasonable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
I do think the packaging on the options of the M3, and BMW in general, really suck right now. They remind me of what the cable companies do with channels - package 10 shitty channels with the 1 you want in some obscure package.
The contempt is because the M-division is listening too much and now we have SUV's as M cars instead of CSi vehicles like they should be.

At least we agree on the packaging. BMW could easily package cars in a way to make both camps happy, mainly by allowing MDM as a stand alone option.
__________________
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
aus is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:15 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST