BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

09-11-2009, 08:28 AM   #1
Khurram
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2012 Panamera 4

First time modder- ecu or pulleys first?

I'm about to start modding my m3 soon.

I'm going with AA as they are local here in Miami and I have heard nothing but good things about them.

Since funds a bit tight right now i'd like to get either the ECU flash or the pulleys.

What would give me better performance/power/smoother throttle response?

I will probably end up getting both at some point but which should I go for first?
      09-11-2009, 09:34 AM   #2
TLud
Colonel

Drives: '12 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khurram View Post
I'm about to start modding my m3 soon.

I'm going with AA as they are local here in Miami and I have heard nothing but good things about them.

Since funds a bit tight right now i'd like to get either the ECU flash or the pulleys.

What would give me better performance/power/smoother throttle response?

I will probably end up getting both at some point but which should I go for first?
Doesn't make much difference either way. Pulleys will probably be a more noticeable power improvement, but the ECU flash should give you the improved power delivery and throttle response you're looking for. Pulleys are strictly a mechanical gain, so you won't need a new flash afterward, but if you plan on installing any other performance modifications (e.g., filter, exhaust, etc.), you should wait to get your flash until you've installed all of those things.
      09-11-2009, 09:48 AM   #3
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure

Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLud View Post
Doesn't make much difference either way. Pulleys will probably be a more noticeable power improvement, but the ECU flash should give you the improved power delivery and throttle response you're looking for. Pulleys are strictly a mechanical gain, so you won't need a new flash afterward, but if you plan on installing any other performance modifications (e.g., filter, exhaust, etc.), you should wait to get your flash until you've installed all of those things.
+1 on everything said.

Hey TLud, I see on your sig that you are getting a Dinan pulley, is that available as of now? I was on their site yesterday and didn't see it.

Cheers!
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
MMMorish is offline   Canada
      09-11-2009, 10:11 AM   #4
TLud
Colonel

Drives: '12 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMorish View Post
+1 on everything said.

Hey TLud, I see on your sig that you are getting a Dinan pulley, is that available as of now? I was on their site yesterday and didn't see it.

Cheers!
The Dinan rep at my dealer said the latest word is end of September. It was supposed to be released earlier this summer, so I'm not holding my breath. I've got my name on one of the sets my dealer pre-ordered, so I'll post up as soon as I get mine.
      09-11-2009, 12:18 PM   #5
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General

Drives: BMW Duh

Send a message via AIM to SV Concepts III
Quote:
Very well said, I recommend doing the ECU mod after you install the mechanical mods (exhaust, air filter etc...) as AA can take these into account with the ECU upgrade.
      09-11-2009, 12:22 PM   #6
Nawaaz
Brigadier General

Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Jlevi SW View Post
Very well said, I recommend doing the ECU mod after you install the mechanical mods (exhaust, air filter etc...) as AA can take these into account with the ECU upgrade.
Agreed.
Nawaaz is offline   United_States
      09-11-2009, 01:51 PM   #7
Khurram
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2012 Panamera 4

Thanks for the info fellas! I only plan on doing pulleys and the ecu so I guess pulleys it is!
      09-11-2009, 08:34 PM   #8
mixja
Captain

Drives: 2011 E90 DCT Silverstone

Quote:
ECU Flash (Powerchip) > Pulley (AA) in my experience.

Pulley though is best bang for buck since they are at least half the price of an ECU flash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Jlevi SW View Post
Somebody tell me exactly what a tuning company would alter based upon the state of modifications your car has (assuming basic modifications like intake, exhaust, pulley)?
mixja is offline   United_States