BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
Racewerkz Engineering
View Poll Results: Get Schrick cams?
Go for it! 25 58.14%
don't its a waste of money 18 41.86%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-09-2009, 03:29 AM   #1
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
 
Eugene-TAIWAN's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Taiwan

Posts: 3,112
iTrader: (4)

Schrick Cams? anyone?

Well I know cams are not usually done. But I feel like getting just from my past experience. It works and it works well. but I never had a M3 before so. Just want to get some insight.

Schrick specs are as follows
intake specs:
284/132/74

exhaust specs:
284/134/86

so what is the stock specs ??? anyone?? from what I know if the degrees is using too high the car during idol will be very ruff. so if anyone can help that will be kool
__________________

Past: Gintani stage3 M3
present: Porsche 993RWB, 964RS America,996 cupcar, 964 turbo 3.6, 991C4S, i3 in September
Eugene-TAIWAN is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      09-09-2009, 03:48 AM   #2
mixja
Captain
 
Drives: 2011 E90 DCT Silverstone
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Beverly Hils, CA

Posts: 783
iTrader: (1)

Seems like there are also 292 cams as well with 12.2mm lift...

http://www.avl-schrick.com/dat/MK/Sc...202009%20E.pdf

This would require a specific tune and possibly would need the valve timing looked at - which could take alot of tuning ($$$)...
mixja is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-09-2009, 04:10 AM   #3
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
 
Eugene-TAIWAN's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Taiwan

Posts: 3,112
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixja View Post
Seems like there are also 292 cams as well with 12.2mm lift...

http://www.avl-schrick.com/dat/MK/Sc...202009%20E.pdf

This would require a specific tune and possibly would need the valve timing looked at - which could take alot of tuning ($$$)...
I think the 292 is too much! way too much the car will sound real funny at a stop light.
__________________

Past: Gintani stage3 M3
present: Porsche 993RWB, 964RS America,996 cupcar, 964 turbo 3.6, 991C4S, i3 in September
Eugene-TAIWAN is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      09-09-2009, 02:57 PM   #4
M&M
Captain
 
M&M's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 Competition Pack
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa

Posts: 661
iTrader: (0)

Not necessarily.
M&M is offline   South Africa
0
Reply With Quote
      09-09-2009, 07:55 PM   #5
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
 
Eugene-TAIWAN's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Taiwan

Posts: 3,112
iTrader: (4)

people don't like CAMS?
__________________

Past: Gintani stage3 M3
present: Porsche 993RWB, 964RS America,996 cupcar, 964 turbo 3.6, 991C4S, i3 in September
Eugene-TAIWAN is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      09-09-2009, 08:07 PM   #6
niterider
Proove It!
 
Drives: Gintani Supercharged
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: City of Angels

Posts: 633
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene-TAIWAN View Post
people don't like CAMS?
I think u might b able to get some good power increase with cams. I know the s85 picks up like 50+hp with cams. If u have the cash, Go for it man
__________________
niterider is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-09-2009, 08:15 PM   #7
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
 
Eugene-TAIWAN's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Taiwan

Posts: 3,112
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by niterider View Post
I think u might b able to get some good power increase with cams. I know the s85 picks up like 50+hp with cams. If u have the cash, Go for it man

I was thinking of doing cams+S/C kit for the future! I did it on my GOLF GTI before and it was a blast.
__________________

Past: Gintani stage3 M3
present: Porsche 993RWB, 964RS America,996 cupcar, 964 turbo 3.6, 991C4S, i3 in September
Eugene-TAIWAN is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      09-10-2009, 08:08 AM   #8
zuggerat89
Still waiting...
 
zuggerat89's Avatar
 
Drives: OGV
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Monmouth County, NJ

Posts: 887
iTrader: (0)

caammmmssssss.... i would buy them just to admire the craftsmanship, but thats just me hahahaha.
zuggerat89 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-10-2009, 09:19 AM   #9
GT3 Tim
Moderator
 
GT3 Tim's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA

Posts: 1,894
iTrader: (0)

Had Shrick cams in my 97 M3, along with all sorts of other goodies.

With all the mods (intake, cams, headers, exhaust, and custom tune) I was able to get a 75 WHP increase! Now, that was with the 3.2 liter motor....I think our motors have more potential than that from N/A mods!

I say go for it!
__________________
Tim (apparently likes "3" cars)
E90 M3 -- Current ride
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
GT3 Tim is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-10-2009, 10:35 AM   #10
TOOMANYCARS
Second Lieutenant
 
TOOMANYCARS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: V.O.W

Posts: 221
iTrader: (0)

Cams are the brain of a motor, so they are essential in upgrading, I say go for it as well.
__________________
Everything is work in progress.
TOOMANYCARS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-11-2009, 08:13 AM   #11
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
 
Eugene-TAIWAN's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Taiwan

Posts: 3,112
iTrader: (4)

for sure cams are exciting after all of the bolt ons. I think I will go for them I guess its just he matter when
__________________

Past: Gintani stage3 M3
present: Porsche 993RWB, 964RS America,996 cupcar, 964 turbo 3.6, 991C4S, i3 in September
Eugene-TAIWAN is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      09-11-2009, 12:52 PM   #12
Kadarin
Ambassador of Crunk
 
Drives: SG/blk '08 E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: San Jose, CA

Posts: 606
iTrader: (0)

With cams I would be concerned about several things, and would want to research before I consider:

- piston to valve clearance
- driveability (i.e. are the specs on the cam such that the car idles too roughly)
- how does the cam alter the powerband (gains at the top end offset by significant loss of torque at the low end)
- cost vs benefits
- does the ECU compensate properly
- how significantly does this mod affect emissions (I live in Cali)
- how well does the cam work with the stock engine (are intake/exhaust mods required to run the cams effectively)
- do gains with the cam match my intended use for the car (i.e. if it's a race cam designed to increase power between 7-9k rpm at the expense of low end torque, and the car is otherwise stock and mostly driven for the daily commute, then it's not a good match)

Cams theoretically have the ability to significantly affect power output by increasing the amount of air that flows through the engine. However, the intake and exhaust needs to be able to handle the extra volume in order for the altered cam profile to be effective.
Kadarin is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-11-2009, 11:18 PM   #13
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
 
Eugene-TAIWAN's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Taiwan

Posts: 3,112
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadarin View Post
With cams I would be concerned about several things, and would want to research before I consider:

- piston to valve clearance
- driveability (i.e. are the specs on the cam such that the car idles too roughly)
- how does the cam alter the powerband (gains at the top end offset by significant loss of torque at the low end)
- cost vs benefits
- does the ECU compensate properly
- how significantly does this mod affect emissions (I live in Cali)
- how well does the cam work with the stock engine (are intake/exhaust mods required to run the cams effectively)
- do gains with the cam match my intended use for the car (i.e. if it's a race cam designed to increase power between 7-9k rpm at the expense of low end torque, and the car is otherwise stock and mostly driven for the daily commute, then it's not a good match)

Cams theoretically have the ability to significantly affect power output by increasing the amount of air that flows through the engine. However, the intake and exhaust needs to be able to handle the extra volume in order for the altered cam profile to be effective.

Yep that is good hardcore info. But i will not use some too extreme , just good performance and good daily driving.
__________________

Past: Gintani stage3 M3
present: Porsche 993RWB, 964RS America,996 cupcar, 964 turbo 3.6, 991C4S, i3 in September
Eugene-TAIWAN is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      09-11-2009, 11:21 PM   #14
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

Posts: 7,547
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Schrick cams

Wow - old school! I had Schricks in my '73 2002 when I got it rebuilt. And Stahl headers. I'd be nervous about doing it with this engine, but interesting!
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
GregW / Oregon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-11-2009, 11:33 PM   #15
mixja
Captain
 
Drives: 2011 E90 DCT Silverstone
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Beverly Hils, CA

Posts: 783
iTrader: (1)

I'd buy cams if they came in a well-researched, dyno-tested package from a reputable BMW tuning company, that included an ECU remap specifically for the cams (e.g. Dinan cams for E46 M3)...

Getting cams by themselves is going to require quite a bit of R&D on your part that you are going to have to pay through the nose for...
mixja is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-12-2009, 12:48 AM   #16
TOOMANYCARS
Second Lieutenant
 
TOOMANYCARS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: V.O.W

Posts: 221
iTrader: (0)

I think the first pair listed on their 2009 catalog .pdf file is a mild upgrade which you can still use stock valvetrain components. A custom dyno/road tuned is a must though, but you should be fine driving around with the mild cams with no ECU tune for a short while, that's if you don't beat on it.
__________________
Everything is work in progress.
TOOMANYCARS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-01-2009, 02:22 PM   #17
J08M3
Major General
 
J08M3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NEW YORK

Posts: 6,012
iTrader: (8)

?
__________________
J08M3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-01-2009, 04:58 PM   #18
STALKER
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, ON

Posts: 3,647
iTrader: (5)

I had the Dinan cams on my e46 M3, plus custom software from DA. I had pretty much every other mod also short of a super charger, including throttle bodies, full exhaust, etc...
The cams were very expensive, you need to have a really good shop install them.

IMO, don't bother, they did not yield much power and you will lose a little low end torque normally.
__________________

2008 AW/FR E90 M3-SOLD
2013 991 C4S-SOLD
2010 GT3
STALKER is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-01-2009, 05:44 PM   #19
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
 
Eugene-TAIWAN's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Taiwan

Posts: 3,112
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER View Post
I had the Dinan cams on my e46 M3, plus custom software from DA. I had pretty much every other mod also short of a super charger, including throttle bodies, full exhaust, etc...
The cams were very expensive, you need to have a really good shop install them.

IMO, don't bother, they did not yield much power and you will lose a little low end torque normally.

I have held back so far. Still thinking of what to do next.
__________________

Past: Gintani stage3 M3
present: Porsche 993RWB, 964RS America,996 cupcar, 964 turbo 3.6, 991C4S, i3 in September
Eugene-TAIWAN is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      10-01-2009, 05:47 PM   #20
STALKER
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, ON

Posts: 3,647
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene-TAIWAN View Post
I have held back so far. Still thinking of what to do next.
IMO, you will be disappointed with the power gain from the cams, after you will spend good money on the purchase and the install.
Save up and get a SC if you want big power increase.
__________________

2008 AW/FR E90 M3-SOLD
2013 991 C4S-SOLD
2010 GT3
STALKER is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-29-2009, 12:16 AM   #21
TOOMANYCARS
Second Lieutenant
 
TOOMANYCARS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: V.O.W

Posts: 221
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER View Post
IMO, you will be disappointed with the power gain from the cams, after you will spend good money on the purchase and the install.
Save up and get a SC if you want big power increase.
NA POWER!!!! SC is cool too.
__________________
Everything is work in progress.
TOOMANYCARS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-29-2009, 04:47 AM   #22
Bluesummer
Lieutenant General
 
Bluesummer's Avatar
 
Drives: slower than Ayrton Senna
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Nürburgring, be there once, your heart, your soul will stay there.

Posts: 15,407
iTrader: (13)

Garage List
2015 M4  [0.00]
2011 E82 135  [0.00]
2011 M3  [0.00]
2007 335  [0.00]
sc it and never look back.
__________________

R.I.P. Steve Noh
Bluesummer is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:11 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST