BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

BPM Sport

01-20-2011, 08:52 PM   #1
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States

Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
Arab rebellion

Just heard on CNN about the rebellion in Tunisia. Or is it a revolution?
Sadek says the only way to truly avoid upheaval is to start political reform, something lacking in virtually every country in the region where rulers have stayed in power long after any vision they might once have had for their countries died out.

The Carnegie Centerís Amr Hamzawi says, in the broadest sense, the events in Tunisia unfolded much as they did in other parts of the world, from Eastern Europe, to Latin America and several Asian nations. The Arab world, he says, is not immune to democracy.

"It is a confirmation that we are not an exception to humanity," Hamzawi said. "Arabs wish to see accountable governments, wish to see better power distribution, wish to see checks and balances. They do not like authoritarianism, and they acted in that spirit in Tunisia."

link
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 02:03 PM   #2
Touring
Captain
Norway

Drives: F11,i3,E21,Porsche 928GT,E30

Its problaby become more fundemental muslim. Seems like that what people want down there.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 07:12 PM   #3
Echo M3
Major
No_Country

Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post
Just heard on CNN about the rebellion in Tunisia. Or is it a revolution?
Sadek says the only way to truly avoid upheaval is to start political reform, something lacking in virtually every country in the region where rulers have stayed in power long after any vision they might once have had for their countries died out.

The Carnegie Center’s Amr Hamzawi says, in the broadest sense, the events in Tunisia unfolded much as they did in other parts of the world, from Eastern Europe, to Latin America and several Asian nations. The Arab world, he says, is not immune to democracy.

"It is a confirmation that we are not an exception to humanity," Hamzawi said. "Arabs wish to see accountable governments, wish to see better power distribution, wish to see checks and balances. They do not like authoritarianism, and they acted in that spirit in Tunisia."

link
I think it's a bit naive to claim that all nations are seeking western-style democratization. There are plenty of nations with different forms of government than our own that are just as successful and content.

Consider Singapore as an example - the government effectively operates as a one-party system, yet most Singaporeans are very pleased with their government and the progress it has made. They have low crime rates, a high(er) standard of living, low taxes, and universal healthcare.

For some societies, democracy is not necessarily the way to go.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2011, 03:05 PM   #4
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman10 View Post
I think it's a bit naive to claim that all nations are seeking western-style democratization. There are plenty of nations with different forms of government than our own that are just as successful and content.

Consider Singapore as an example - the government effectively operates as a one-party system, yet most Singaporeans are very pleased with their government and the progress it has made. They have low crime rates, a high(er) standard of living, low taxes, and universal healthcare.

For some societies, democracy is not necessarily the way to go.
Totally agree with you. And for the U.S., we were founded not as a Democracy, but as a Representative Republic. It's too bad that it is not as it was.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 08:25 PM   #5
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States

Is what's going on in Egypt in any way related to the kind of thing going on in Tunisia?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2011, 02:11 PM   #6
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
United_States

Drives: Montego/Cream E93

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
Someone said to them, "jesus is coming, y'all better look busy." So they did.
      01-30-2011, 04:38 PM   #7
Scourge
United Kingdom

Drives: 2010 BMW 335i Leman Blue

Garage List
2010 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww View Post
Is what's going on in Egypt in any way related to the kind of thing going on in Tunisia?
I think it did have a role in what's going on in Egypt. And it's spreading across the Middle East. There are also reports that activists in Syria are trying to organize a day of Anger there also on 5 Febuary
http://freedomist.com/2011/01/30/syr...ed-feb-5-2011/
      02-25-2011, 03:20 AM   #8
Got Euro ?
Here Comes The Boom
United_States

Drives: e92

Well people im sure are tired of getting robbed, abused , and told what to do, so they need a change , i mean come on now. Who stays as president or king for X amount of years lol ..
      02-25-2011, 03:39 AM   #9
Mahmood07
Captain
Bahrain

Drives: 2010 E92 M3 DCT

Power to the people!
///M3 Mods: | Eisenmann Race Exhaust | Primary Cats Delete (TTP) | ESS Tune | 19" Advan RS | Eibach Springs | MS Air Filter | BMW Perf. Spoiler | BMW Perf. Splitters | Euro LCI Tail lights | Angel iBright v.3.0 | 20% Tint | Matte black Kidney Grills | CF Side Gills | Painted Reflectors | Black M3 emblem
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 07:08 PM   #10
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States

I think I like this guy's point of view.
Appreciate 0