BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion
 
ESS Tuning
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-07-2009, 11:39 PM   #23
Dackz
Hates Speed Limits
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Northern CO

Posts: 2,585
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46M54325Ci View Post
ohhh god here we go listen guys neither one of you can win this one. BMW can colorblind and then pry the eyes out of their researchers and just have computers do sales data and interest based on area and when it spits out information that tells them to focus on certain areas over others there will always be those that can challenge it based upon the demographic of the areas deemed to not be targeted. the statistics show these areas aren't big mini buyers but they also show these areas are disproportionately of one race and then activists cry foul. I understand all the arguments for the latter position and how the situation has been very true in the past. But, let's face it. BMW is a very sophisticated company and I doubt they would be racist intentionally or even unintentionally. The only color that matters is the color of money, the green. Nobody cries foul like this when there are Spanish advertisements for American brands in heavily hispanic areas or because there are more BET billboards in predominantly African-American communities. Companies target certain ads to certain demographics all the time, it's good business, most companies also try to cater ads to different targets to attract buyers of various backgrounds, races, ethnicities, education, and on and on and on. Sometimes, when companies have had statistically dismal sales in certain areas, they choose to end those ad campaigns or not to fund any more of them. I guess BMW could have been more sensitive in the way they did this but come on people, can't we let statistics guide rational business decisions.

What really gets to me about these types of complaints is that the fire just keeps getting fueled. Let the market takeover. The market is blind to all colors but one, green. Let its forces take over and see what happens. It's horrible business to discriminate for any reason, never mind immoral, hateful and just downright wrong. In a perfect market things like race of customers would be totally irrelevant.

End Rant.
Agreed. I am a Media Buyer major, my degree is to search out the best ad space to make my product/company the most money, and if that happens to be marketing BMW in G/Q, Elle, or something like that because it hits my target demographic who is more likely to buy my product, then I have suceeded. Its all BMW is doing.

And like I said, racism shouldnt have to exist. There are extreme's on both sides of the battle, but the majority is down the line and there shouldnt be any racism. If anything, its racist that I actually didnt get a couple of jobs because I WASNT Black. Because I was the better person for the job, and had more training and background, I didnt get it because the company got a write-off buy hiring a person of color. Now thats in-equaility. Touche to the victor, their company = under and me = doing good!
Dackz is offline   United_States
0
      09-07-2009, 11:46 PM   #24
blue2fire
Brigadier General
 
blue2fire's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 135i
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Location, Location, Location

Posts: 4,289
iTrader: (8)

Maybe they don't want those people driving the car. I can remember when Krug snubbed all that attention and they still seem to be very well.
__________________

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
blue2fire is offline   Cayman Islands
0
      09-07-2009, 11:46 PM   #25
bayerische009
Auto Pilot
 
Drives: Gunmetal
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SoooCali

Posts: 14
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackz View Post
Agreed. I am a Media Buyer major, my degree is to search out the best ad space to make my product/company the most money, and if that happens to be marketing BMW in G/Q, Elle, or something like that because it hits my target demographic who is more likely to buy my product, then I have suceeded. Its all BMW is doing.

And like I said, racism shouldnt have to exist. There are extreme's on both sides of the battle, but the majority is down the line and there shouldnt be any racism. If anything, its racist that I actually didnt get a couple of jobs because I WASNT Black. Because I was the better person for the job, and had more training and background, I didnt get it because the company got a write-off buy hiring a person of color. Now thats in-equaility. Touche to the victor, their company = under and me = doing good!
Elitist entitlement. Because you "deserve" it.

If racism never "existed" then there'd be no need for affirmative action. Affirmative action was put into place because qualified Blacks were NOT being given the same opportunities whites of equal or lesser capability were being given. Even today highly educated and qualified Blacks are looked over for positions they're more than qualified for. All because of their skin color and the stigma created by others who are hell bent on seeing them fail.
bayerische009 is offline   United_States
0
      09-07-2009, 11:48 PM   #26
blue2fire
Brigadier General
 
blue2fire's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 135i
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Location, Location, Location

Posts: 4,289
iTrader: (8)

This will end up deleted and people will be in trouble before long.
__________________

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
blue2fire is offline   Cayman Islands
0
      09-07-2009, 11:51 PM   #27
bayerische009
Auto Pilot
 
Drives: Gunmetal
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SoooCali

Posts: 14
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2fire View Post
This will end up deleted and people will be in trouble before long.
Let the undercover racist offend for themselves.
bayerische009 is offline   United_States
0
      09-07-2009, 11:53 PM   #28
taliesen
Self Imposed Exile
 
taliesen's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 E90 328i
Join Date: May 2009
Location: DFW, TX

Posts: 229
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerische009 View Post
You, watch too much T.V. and have probably never met a Black person in your life.
You don't know me, don't think you can tell who I know or what I do. I've dated Black women, I've lived in predominantly Black neighborhoods. And you know what? I've NEVER heard anyone bring up the whole race discrepancy thing to explain their actions more often than the Black people I know. I broke up with the last Black women I dated because I got tired of everything she did differently than I did being called 'a Black thing.' And I mean everything - I take a glass out of the cupboard and pour myself a glass of water and drink it - she takes it out, rinses it out, then pours the glass of water. "Black people always rinse their glasses out first."

Whatever . . .

You want true equality? Stop supporting anything that is race-specific. No United Negro College Fund, no Black History Month, no NAACP, no Equal Opportunity employment perks, nothing. The Black community has all of these things, and more, and continues to complain about not being treated equally - why not just admit you want PREFERENTIAL treatment on all things?
__________________
2009 E90 328i - Space Gray / Black-Ette / Aluminum / 6MT / Xenons / BT / iPod / Legal Tints / Blue and White CF Roundels / Clear Bra / Done Modding (daily driver)
taliesen is offline  
0
      09-07-2009, 11:56 PM   #29
blue2fire
Brigadier General
 
blue2fire's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 135i
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Location, Location, Location

Posts: 4,289
iTrader: (8)

^^Funny, i cannot think of a single law that impedes equality. I agree with everything you say.
__________________

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
blue2fire is offline   Cayman Islands
0
      09-07-2009, 11:58 PM   #30
Draman
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: e93 335i, S5
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: CT

Posts: 214
iTrader: (0)

Honestly bayerische009 is just trolling all of you right now.

BMW did their market research and found the demographic groups most likely to purchase their products and marketed themselves towards those groups. Anyone that thinks BMW needs to market themselves towards urban minorities, which will likely be overwhelmingly low income, is out of their mind. If you want to make an argument about how society has created some kind of injustice for those urban minorities, feel free--but this is not the place to do it. The simple fact is urban minorities, regardless of ethnicity, are not likely to be shopping for BMWs. For that matter I would bet the majority of BMW buyers are not urban but suburban, regardless of minority status.

Racism and bigotry are alive and well but people like Jesse Jackson have made a living creating issues out of nothing and essentially promoting reverse bigotry. To think BMW is somehow racist because they choose not to market themselves towards people that are not buying their product anyway simply shows that you are in the same sphere of thought as Jackson and friends.
__________________
E93 Sapphire Black / Coral Red
Sport|Premium|Cold Weather|Nav|PDC|Active Steering|Sirius|Comfort Access

Audi S5 Ibis White / Tuscan Brown
Carbon Atlas|Audi Drive Select|Nav|B&O|Tech Package
Draman is offline  
0
      09-08-2009, 01:31 AM   #31
gemini330zhp
Major
 
gemini330zhp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 M3 E90
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: BergenCo NewJersey

Posts: 1,181
iTrader: (0)

Pointless thread please close.
__________________
2008 Jet Black E90 M3 6SPD no sunroof and 18s to my specs


gemini330zhp is offline   Philippines
0
      09-08-2009, 02:41 AM   #32
hanmaas
Lieutenant
 
hanmaas's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Europe

Posts: 577
iTrader: (0)

Is this a joke?
__________________
hanmaas is offline   Germany
0
      09-08-2009, 02:51 AM   #33
jhv
Lieutenant General
 
jhv's Avatar
 
Drives: Every Day
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 17,306
iTrader: (1)

ibtl
__________________
jhv is offline   No_Country
0
      09-08-2009, 03:25 AM   #34
dexter
Lieutenant
 
dexter's Avatar
 
Drives: 08' space grey 335i/ E30 3er
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: newport beach, ca

Posts: 469
iTrader: (0)

If we didnt have the likes of Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson and the NAACP and all that crap, we wouldnt have racism anymore. They have jobs to promote it, to say they are being held down.

My theory: You cant clain racism anymore. Black's rule sports, our PRESIDENT is Black, we have Black Supreme Court Justices, I mean cmon, can there be racism anymore?[/quote]

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredOnce View Post
You guys let your women drive BMWs? Next they'll be wanting to wear clothes and vote... not good, my friends...
dexter is offline   United_States
0
      09-08-2009, 07:34 AM   #35
taliesen
Self Imposed Exile
 
taliesen's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 E90 328i
Join Date: May 2009
Location: DFW, TX

Posts: 229
iTrader: (1)

I don't think it's fair to say that you can't claim racism anymore - it most definitely does still occur (as OP stated, the nooses in the school lockers proves the hatred and ignorance is still there). While it's no longer the 'official' institution that it used to be, it does still exist.

The problem is kind of like the boy that cried wolf, though - there is a tendency among certain people and groups of people to 'play the race card' and say that they have been discriminated against when they don't get what they want. This is often the same group of people that have a sense of entitlement and 'deserve' things to be given to them. The more 'racism' is claimed over ridiculous and petty things, the less impact the cry will have.

Case in point from my personal experience - I used to work at a Chick-Fil-A in high school, and one slow night I was the only person on the registers, and had been for hours. An African American woman approached and asked me to give her a bunch of dipping sauce for nuggets - now, I know this woman did not buy anything from us, so I told her that we could only give that to customers who purchased nuggets from us (in fact, we were told we had to charge for more than 2 even for customers that bought food, but we ignored that). I no sooner finished my sentence than she started calling me cracker and claiming I wouldn't give her what she asked for because she was black, and caused a hellacious scene that required mall security to be called. Completely ridiculous!

The other thing to keep in mind here is that racism cuts both ways - there is a LOT of behavior towards white/european descendants that is caused by the color of their skin coming from the so-called minority community these days as well. I could give you a ton of examples of this as well, but I've gone on long enough here.

Until ALL behavior influenced by race or skin color is eradicated, there will continue to be some sort of discrimination in this world. But to claim racism any time somebody gets denied something will ensure that discrimination can never die.
__________________
2009 E90 328i - Space Gray / Black-Ette / Aluminum / 6MT / Xenons / BT / iPod / Legal Tints / Blue and White CF Roundels / Clear Bra / Done Modding (daily driver)
taliesen is offline  
0
      09-08-2009, 07:42 AM   #36
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
 
southlight's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Germany

Posts: 6,746
iTrader: (0)

I'm closing this thread temporarily and will have a look if there's a serious and level-headed part of this thread which could be moved to the politics section.


Best regards,
south
__________________
Those forums...WHY NOT?


JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
southlight is offline  
0
      09-08-2009, 08:11 AM   #37
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
 
southlight's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Germany

Posts: 6,746
iTrader: (0)

This thread stays closed. Reading the posts it doesn't seem like we're able to have such a discussion with the necessary esteem.
Right now, I refrain from handing out infractions because this is a sensitive topic. I'll reconsider in case some want to continue insulting each other in other threads however. So let's please move on. Thanks! Questions via PM.


Best regards,
south
__________________
Those forums...WHY NOT?


JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
southlight is offline  
0
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:24 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST