BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

GT Haus

09-03-2009, 04:22 PM   #1
han405
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: E46 M3, E92 M3

Question Weird question regarding to European Delivery

Dear all,
I currently own an E46 M3 and I would like to upgrade to an E92 M3 in the near future (within the next 6 months)..

I am particularly interested in the ED program.
However, I do have a weird question...

In case if I couldn't make it to Munich to pickup the car, will it be alright for a friend or family to pickup the car instead of me?

What documentations would I need to prepare for this?

I've asked around (including the dealerships) but could not get a solid, convincing answer for it..

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 05:26 PM   #2
ucla1995
Slow and low
Rep

Drives: M5

There's a European Delivery forum at bimmerfest.com - The answer to your question is you must pick up the car, no one else.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 09:55 PM   #3
Shake-N-Bake
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: AW/FR e92 M3

I was told you would have to give power of attorney to someone and they would be able to pick it up for you. Don't know how true it is though.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2009, 02:05 AM   #4
han405
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for looking into this..

I did some research and it seems that I'll have to add whoever on the purchase order to ensure that person can also pickup the car...

I just hope it won't affect me when putting only my own name on the title and registration of the car once it is stateside..

What do you guys think?

thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2009, 09:57 AM   #5
IrvRobinson
Banned
Rep

Drives: X3

The PO ( purchase order) is used to register your car in Europe and give you the correct insurance coverage.The Buyers order needs to have the same last name of the person purchasing/leasing that car.If you can't go yourself,you can have a family member pick up for you,but their name will also be on the sales contract.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2009, 03:07 PM   #6
han405
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Lightbulb

Thanks for those constructive responses you provided.

I recently obtained the European Delivery Department's phone number: 1-800-932-0831, and call them.

The answer to the question I got was, BMW will only accept pick-ups from the person listed in the purchase order. (due to insurance, etc.)

However, The purchase order is only used for European delivery. The person on the PO does not need to be connected to the purchaser of the car. The PO person will not dictate the name of the person (purchaser) on the registration / title of the car when it is at the stateside.

The person on the PO must have a valid driving license, passport and a US address (who doesn't have those.) Again he does not have to be or (legally) connected to the purchaser of the car.

In case I can't go, I could have a friend/coworker of mine's name on the PO, so he can pickup the car for me.. That way I can save a few thousand dollars. He gets to have a short vacation.

In case you were questioning my logic, we work for an airline, so flying to Europe cost virtually nothing.

thanks again.
Appreciate 0