BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

Steve Thomas BMW

09-05-2009, 01:46 AM   #23
Nixon
Banned
Rep

Drives: :

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4nroots View Post
I actually think Nixon has some great insight, and the only reason he is so emphatic with respect to his writing style IMO is that he probably can't believe something this ridiculous needs to be defended from such closed minded opinion.

Thanks, I appreciate the comments.

You nailed it, this is such a no brainer that even zombies could figure it out.

The problem is that most of these guys aren't stupid. It isn't that they don't understand they are full of bull. They just think it is funny to take a pot shot that even they know is a bunch of bull, just for the fun of taking pot shots. So they earn every ounce of ridicule they get.

Anyways, thanks again for your post.

Nixon.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS -- Hasn't this bolinp78 joker figured out yet how the ignore feature works on this board? I've heard of slow learners, but it's been over a month since this thread:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...ghlight=ignore

I guess some things never change. Like over a month later, every time I see a post by bolinp78, I still agree with EVERYTHING I read.

I still see the same thing when I see one of his posts:

bolinp78 This message is hidden because bolinp78 is on your ignore list.

I read this and I think to myself:

"So true! -- he IS on my ignore list, and his messages ARE hidden. I completely agree!"

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2009, 03:14 AM   #24
sayemthree
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
fixed

Back to the topic though.... Honestly, I don't really see how the President stepped immensely out of line here. Sure, our kids are getting dumber with every passing year, more lazy and unmotivated to boot.... Something has to be done, but what? Sure BO annoys the shit out of me, and I really think I dislike him as a person, but at least he's acknowledging and putting forth some effort, however small, to reach out to some kids. Schools are overcrowded, teachers underpaid and underisured, and programs that make kids actually want to go to school are no longer existent. There is a problem there. And something has to be done. I'm glad education is at least on his agenda.

There's nothing I hate more than uninformed, arrogant, lazy people, and we seem to be pumping them out in this country at an alarming rate. It's time we did something about that.

I agree he was restrained. however the agenda will still be pushed, classroom posters are bing shipped out with the new pledge. I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one earth.....
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2009, 11:15 AM   #25
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07 BMW 335i Cpe, 05 Mazda RX8

Send a message via MSN to scottwww
Quote:
Because global warming is a myth, right?
I haven't watched the movie myself, so I can't comment on many of the details, but a couple of them that I will point out that I have heard. Algore claims that carbon dioxide caused global warming in the past. However, the global warming preceded the increase in carbon dioxide. His argument was false. Additionally, he used a photograph of a polar bear that was playing on a small iceberg and used it to claim that the ice is melting. This stuff is propaganda, not science.

If he wants to produce junk science movies, who is to stop him. It is sad that a former vice president would stoop so low. I really don't care since it was in charachter (after all, Algore invented the internet) except that too many people treated it as truth. And then he received high honors for such fraud.

BTW: I don't know whether we are to have global warming going into the future, or global cooling. It has been warming since the last ice age (there are cycles). There have been "mini ice ages" along the way as well, such as the one during the maunder minimum in the 1600s.

Much of science is art, or speculation. Now it is also political fodder.

One thing you can be sure of: Given enough time, the Earth will cool or the Earth will warm.

offTopic - politics - ChoppedPhoto
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2009, 11:29 AM   #26
shpirate87
Captain
Rep

Drives: 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixon View Post
Man, do I have to teach EVERYTHING to you? ....
Oh, how I do love watching the GP get his panties all in a wad.

Let's take a look at a few sentences and see if we can figure out their similarities and their differences, shall we?

The first is provided by the GP in his latest, long winded, and rambling post:

Write a letter to yourself identifying the steps you need to take to reach your goals.

The next is from the original lesson plan meant to supplement the president's speech:

Write letters to themselves about what they can do to help the president.

and last but not least, from the revised lesson plan:

Write letters to themselves about how they can achieve their short-term and long-term education goals.

Hmmm.... two are about setting personal goals in order to help yourself and one is about helping a politician in a serious political bind.

GP, you would have been much better if you had just gotten the latest talking points memos and parroted; "That (the original lesson plan) was inartfully worded, and we corrected it."
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2009, 11:36 AM   #27
shpirate87
Captain
Rep

Drives: 335ix

Quote:
Because global warming is a myth, right?
Haven't you heard? It is not global warming anymore. (The fact that the planet hasn't warmed at all for 10 years made this a tough sell) It is now global climate change. (The masses will hopefully not appreciate the fact that the Earth's climate is constantly changing.)

As for Gore's film, the British High Court found at least 11 scientific errors or exaggerations and labeled the film political propaganda.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2009, 11:39 AM   #28
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Q: Would the administration be willing to release the speech in advance of its delivery?

A: Yes. The speech will be released on Monday and delivered on Tuesday.
link
I am thinking about watching it on Monday to determine whether I will contact my kid's teacher to dismiss my kid from watching it on Tuesday. If it is just about encouraging kids to get a good education, that is great. But I don't see why he would need to do it. Yet there would be no harm done.

However, I am reluctant to listen to Obama. I tend to think I cannot be hypnotized, but most people who think that really can be hypnotized. I wouldn't want to join in to the mass hypnosis campaign.

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2009, 11:43 AM   #29
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

"Why is it important that we listen to the president and other elected officials, like the mayor, senators, members of congress, or the governor? Why is what they say important?"

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 12:09 PM   #30
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90 325i Arctic

I watched it, just a pep rally. I was mostly cut off from TV since last Thursday, I went to my dad's cabin. Did make it into a bar to see the first 1/2 of USC killing SJSU.

"and don't forget to wash your hands" the swine flu is gonna get you
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 01:46 PM   #31
Couch
Colonel
Rep

Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to Couch
Quote:
Originally Posted by shpirate87 View Post
Haven't you heard? It is not global warming anymore. (The fact that the planet hasn't warmed at all for 10 years made this a tough sell) It is now global climate change. (The masses will hopefully not appreciate the fact that the Earth's climate is constantly changing.)

As for Gore's film, the British High Court found at least 11 scientific errors or exaggerations and labeled the film political propaganda.
I believe that actually started with a father filing a lawsuit because the government or school system had approved this movie to be shown as a factual piece.

A father (whom apparently knew his stuff) documented each and every fallacy within the "documentary". I believe he actually found more than 11 discrepencies. 11 is probably what the court ruled on.

I have not heard exactly what was said, but it sounds like it was just telling the kids to work hard.

That's all fine and I actually have no problem with it. I wish he would have spoke to the parents and/or care-givers of children telling them they need to be more involved in their childrens lives and urge them in doing well in school and how important education is.

On a side note, I'm so tired of hearing these "so-called" complaints from parents saying their kids have too much homework (public schools). I know for a fact they don't. I look back and I rarely had homework that took me longer than 30 minutes (or that wasn't finished before school was out or the next morning). The only thing that was good was being in a few advanced classes so we had to write longer papers than the regular classes. That was the extent of it though. Parents are stupid.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2009, 11:02 PM   #32
sayemthree
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: bmw

sounded to me like he was encouraging the "bad" kids but not praising the good ones. ??
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2009, 08:50 PM   #33
Mighty M
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 08 M3 Jerez/FR Manual

Sorry I have been absent. Maybe Rush Limbaugh could go speak at a school to even things up? I propose this following agenda to appease the republican base:

1. Cheeseburgers and french fries are good for you
2. Act like your m16 is the most important thing in life
3. Condoms are evil
4. Muslims are the enemy
5. Pray to sweet jeee sus every day

And there! A *real* American is made.

09-14-2009, 01:02 AM   #34
scollins
Bootleggin' 'n Gunrunnin'
No_Country
Rep

Drives: 2010 e70 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch View Post
On a side note, I'm so tired of hearing these "so-called" complaints from parents saying their kids have too much homework (public schools). I know for a fact they don't. I look back and I rarely had homework that took me longer than 30 minutes (or that wasn't finished before school was out or the next morning). The only thing that was good was being in a few advanced classes so we had to write longer papers than the regular classes. That was the extent of it though. Parents are stupid.
Did you have homework in 1st grade? I know that I didn't, and I have no recollection of homework until about the 6th grade. My daughter just started 1st grade, and she has homework every week! WTF? She even had homework in KINDERGARTEN!

I understand the need for homework, but not before it is really needed (6th grade at the earliest, 7th or 8th grade for sure.) I took a lot of AP classes, so I had a lot of homework, but it was manageable.

So yeah, I really appreciate the blanket "Parents are stupid" quip.
ZAP | ZCW | ZPP | ZPS | ZRC | ZTP | 322 | 328 | 330 | 386 | 4AZ | 4UB | 655 | 6FL | 6NF
2008 Ducati 1098S Red naturally....
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 01:33 PM   #35
Couch
Colonel
Rep

Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to Couch
Quote:
Originally Posted by scollins View Post
Did you have homework in 1st grade? I know that I didn't, and I have no recollection of homework until about the 6th grade. My daughter just started 1st grade, and she has homework every week! WTF? She even had homework in KINDERGARTEN!

I understand the need for homework, but not before it is really needed (6th grade at the earliest, 7th or 8th grade for sure.) I took a lot of AP classes, so I had a lot of homework, but it was manageable.

So yeah, I really appreciate the blanket "Parents are stupid" quip.
It was suppose to be a blanket statement because I'm not implying they all are. Don't get so offended, especially when I'm not singling you out.

I know I always had homework, it just wasn't much at all. Especially for 6 or 7 periods a day. I just find complaints about homework to be a bit humorous. I thought what I had at the time was a lot, but looking back it wasn't anything. I just think a little homework even for the younger kids isn't going to hurt them.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 11:29 PM   #36
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I Pledge!

I could guess at who in these threads might just pledge. And for the worst of the worst, fast forward to 3:16 in the video. And then also 3:54.

Appreciate 0