BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....
 
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-01-2009, 10:41 PM   #1
icemang17
Captain
icemang17's Avatar
15
Rep
644
Posts

Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Stockton CA

iTrader: (0)

ZR1 vs M3 DCT

Well just like the title says....I had an opportunity to spend some quality time with a friends new ZR1 Corvette..... Quick summary....VERY IMPRESSIVE....

the interior build quality is much better than the Z06, but still not on par with the M3....

Ride was not bad....firm, but not too harsh...quite similar to the M3...those magnetic shocks do work

Handling....very impressive....we were at a trackday so I got to experience what its like at racetrack speeds.....the suspension is FAR better than the Z06....much more composed with minimal body roll and far better rebound damping, which is something I found lacking in the Z06's...which also causes the Z06 to be overly twitchy and the ZR1 is nicely controlled....similar to the M3 in this regard....but since you sit so much lower in the car you get less of a sensation of dive & roll than the M3...

Brakes: strong with zero fade....no issues

power: borderline silly.....any gear, any RPM, it just doesn't matter....mash the pedal (slowly to preserve tires) and your GONE.....

I think chevy did an excellent job on this one.... Clearly the best vette ever....then add in a 100k mile powertrain warranty.....on 638hp....wow...

So for roughly the same $$$ as a new M3 plus a stroker & some other mods....which would I pick....that would be a tough decision....very tough...
__________________
Brian
2008 E92 M3, MR, DCT, extended BB leather, loaded!
1988 Porsche 928S4, Guards red/Champagne leather
1989 Porsche 928S4 track beast!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 10:44 PM   #2
Dr.G
Private First Class
Dr.G's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
188
Posts

Drives: Not enough room!!!
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (0)

zr1 is a beast ... thats a whole different performance level
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 11:03 PM   #3
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
71
Rep
4,643
Posts

Drives: .
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

Yeah, I hate to say this but the ZR1 will always have the advantage, even if the M3 has all the mods you mentioned.

It mostly comes down to the power/weight ratio, and the ZR1 masters that.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 12:43 AM   #4
m34jlp
Wheel Whore
m34jlp's Avatar
71
Rep
868
Posts

Drives: 2015 AY F82 M4
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Miami, Fl

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemang17 View Post
Well just like the title says....I had an opportunity to spend some quality time with a friends new ZR1 Corvette..... Quick summary....VERY IMPRESSIVE....

the interior build quality is much better than the Z06, but still not on par with the M3....

Ride was not bad....firm, but not too harsh...quite similar to the M3...those magnetic shocks do work

Handling....very impressive....we were at a trackday so I got to experience what its like at racetrack speeds.....the suspension is FAR better than the Z06....much more composed with minimal body roll and far better rebound damping, which is something I found lacking in the Z06's...which also causes the Z06 to be overly twitchy and the ZR1 is nicely controlled....similar to the M3 in this regard....but since you sit so much lower in the car you get less of a sensation of dive & roll than the M3...

Brakes: strong with zero fade....no issues

power: borderline silly.....any gear, any RPM, it just doesn't matter....mash the pedal (slowly to preserve tires) and your GONE.....

I think chevy did an excellent job on this one.... Clearly the best vette ever....then add in a 100k mile powertrain warranty.....on 638hp....wow...

So for roughly the same $$$ as a new M3 plus a stroker & some other mods....which would I pick....that would be a tough decision....very tough...
i love my car, but this would be a very easy decision for me...and i have never liked vettes
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 01:01 AM   #5
NFDoms2k1
Private First Class
NFDoms2k1's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
167
Posts

Drives: Cute Little Convertible
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New York

iTrader: (3)

That would be a Stroker, F/I, BBK, top of the line coil-overs and full Ericcson kit to equal the price of a ZR1! Now if you could get a F/I bored engine to work, that would make the decision a bit easier.

Of course you can probably destroy our car with a Civic and 40k of crap...but its still a Honda (respect due to the NSX of course)
__________________
'09 E93 M3, AW, M-DCT, Fully Loaded
Bunch of mods, why such limited signature space M3post ?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 01:19 AM   #6
TOOMANYCARS
Second Lieutenant
TOOMANYCARS's Avatar
2
Rep
221
Posts

Drives: 2009 E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: V.O.W

iTrader: (0)

I'd buy the ZR1 for its performance, even if it only comes with 1 seat and no accessories.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 11:26 AM   #7
attila
Lieutenant
attila's Avatar
22
Rep
585
Posts

Drives: 2015 GTS4, 2011 GT3RS, 2010 MX
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Omaha, NE

iTrader: (0)

Nice review! I am seriously considering the ZR-1 or the new Porsche GT3 RS. The only thing I dont like in the ZR-1 are the seats. (and I am not fun of the dash layout either)
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 11:38 AM   #8
footie
Major General
footie's Avatar
No_Country
177
Rep
7,507
Posts

Drives: ????????????
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: BMW M3 will get a V6TT

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
How would a GTR with the P800 tune compare in both price and performance? I'm guessing the GTR would be only slightly quicker in acceleration if at all but would be way quicker on the track.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 11:44 AM   #9
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
71
Rep
4,643
Posts

Drives: .
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by attila View Post
Nice review! I am seriously considering the ZR-1 or the new Porsche GT3 RS. The only thing I dont like in the ZR-1 are the seats. (and I am not fun of the dash layout either)
Get the GT3 RS.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 12:35 PM   #10
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
SUB-ZERO's Avatar
27
Rep
1,562
Posts

Drives: 2008 997TT Arctic Silver
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: VA

iTrader: (0)

GT3 RS or GTR
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 12:43 PM   #11
991GT3
Captain
991GT3's Avatar
26
Rep
769
Posts

Drives: Cayenne Turbo
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: North Dakota

iTrader: (0)

The ZR1 is in a completely different league. You might as well compare an M3 to a 599 or GT2.
I'm not a vette fan but I'd easily take it over an M3 (and I really like M3s).
__________________
-2015 Macan Turbo
-2013 VelociRaptor 600
-2016 Cayman GT4
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 01:17 PM   #12
anthony @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
anthony @ eas's Avatar
United_States
138
Rep
3,633
Posts


Drives: R56 Cooper S
Join Date: May 2009
Location: 4015 E Leaverton Court, Anahiem, CA 92807

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by attila View Post
I am seriously considering the ZR-1 or the new Porsche GT3 RS.
I wish I had to make decisions like that...
__________________
Anthony M. | european auto source (eas)
email: anthony@europeanautosource.com · web: www.europeanautosource.com · tel 866.669.0705 · ca: 714.369.8524 x25

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 01:54 PM   #13
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
KonigsTiger's Avatar
68
Rep
4,397
Posts

Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dweller

iTrader: (0)

Hmmm, I suppose my 5% is obvious since I already own an RS46 M3 with all (and more) of the niceties you mention. However, the reason I did this is simply because I love the M3 looks and feel and wanted to get it as close as possible to say GT3 territory. However, if performance is what you seek, the the ZR1 will undoubtedly outperform the M3.
__________________
==================================================
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 01:59 PM   #14
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
71
Rep
4,643
Posts

Drives: .
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

^ Same here. I wanted to get the closest thing to a GT3, and the M3 was the best choice for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 02:49 PM   #15
Vic55
Colonel
Vic55's Avatar
128
Rep
2,592
Posts

Drives: 2015 Lamborghini Huracan
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: THE Orange County

iTrader: (8)

ZR1 is an amazing bang for the buck car that is compared to Ferraris, Lambos, and other exotics... I still had a tough time considering it vs. having an M3 and a GT-R... I chose the latter as I wanted a daily driver and a project car along with my 997TT and the old lady's IS-F.
__________________
2016 Lamborghini Huracan Bianco Canpus (Matte OEM)
2015 AMG GTS Edition 1 Selenite Grey
2012 Ferrari FF Bianco Avus
2012 Audi R8 V-10 Ibis White
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 03:02 PM   #16
Jaypod
Brigadier General
Jaypod's Avatar
No_Country
69
Rep
4,972
Posts

Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-M-Mexico View Post
Hmmm, I suppose my 5% is obvious since I already own an RS46 M3 with all (and more) of the niceties you mention. However, the reason I did this is simply because I love the M3 looks and feel and wanted to get it as close as possible to say GT3 territory. However, if performance is what you seek, the the ZR1 will undoubtedly outperform the M3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawaaz View Post
^ Same here. I wanted to get the closest thing to a GT3, and the M3 was the best choice for me.
Sorry guys - I really dont know how you can say an M3 is even remotely like a GT3 - maybe with the stroker and completely gutted and track prepared but otherwise
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 03:21 PM   #17
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
KonigsTiger's Avatar
68
Rep
4,397
Posts

Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dweller

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
Sorry guys - I really dont know how you can say an M3 is even remotely like a GT3 - maybe with the stroker and completely gutted and track prepared but otherwise
That is precisely what I meant, M3 + 530bhp stroker + light weight fly wheel/race clutch + BBK + light weight 19" wheels with Corsas + titanium exhaust + sway bars and springs/coil overs + B pillar and boot lid bars to increase rigidity + +/- 200 pounds of lost weight + some other goodies equates to "a la GT3". Of course not a "normal" M3.
__________________
==================================================
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 03:29 PM   #18
Jaypod
Brigadier General
Jaypod's Avatar
No_Country
69
Rep
4,972
Posts

Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-M-Mexico View Post
That is precisely what I meant, M3 + 530bhp stroker + light weight fly wheel/race clutch + BBK + light weight 19" wheels with Corsas + titanium exhaust + sway bars and springs/coil overs + B pillar and boot lid bars to increase rigidity + 200 pounds of losing weight + some other goodies equates to "a la GT3". Of course not a "normal" M3.
Well in that case - carry on then!!

Dont get me wrong - I love my M3 but GT3 it is not!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 03:31 PM   #19
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
KonigsTiger's Avatar
68
Rep
4,397
Posts

Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dweller

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
Well in that case - carry on then!!

Dont get me wrong - I love my M3 but GT3 it is not!
No, no, I didnīt at all interpret you statement as out of place. I am in full agreement that the M3 is no GT3.
__________________
==================================================
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 12:12 AM   #20
stylinexpat
Captain
stylinexpat's Avatar
50
Rep
834
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Aug 2008

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by attila View Post
Nice review! I am seriously considering the ZR-1 or the new Porsche GT3 RS. The only thing I dont like in the ZR-1 are the seats. (and I am not fun of the dash layout either)
Buy 2 nice Recaro seats and your set.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 01:07 AM   #21
TheKosherStogie
Lieutenant Colonel
TheKosherStogie's Avatar
United_States
62
Rep
1,643
Posts

Drives: 08 M3 DCT AW/Red
Join Date: May 2009
Location: West Hollywood

iTrader: (1)

GT3RS or GT3 over almost any car....screw a zr1...amazing, fast, grip and so on...just not a gt3....the feeling i got when i drove that car was unexplainable...the feeling when i drove a Z06 ( I KNOW NOT A ZR1) was shit...except for the straight line speed
__________________
C6 CORVETTE ZR1
BW C13 - 1:53:7
E92 M3 ZCP
KW CS w/Rs3 - WSIR 1:32:8 / BW C13 1:59:2
APR Wing/Rs3 - WSIR 1:30:9 / BW C13 1:57:7
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 01:12 AM   #22
330CIZHP
Major
Canada
33
Rep
1,211
Posts

Drives: BMW 330 CI ZHP
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyrusso View Post
GT3RS or GT3 over almost any car....screw a zr1...amazing, fast, grip and so on...just not a gt3....the feeling i got when i drove that car was unexplainable...the feeling when i drove a Z06 ( I KNOW NOT A ZR1) was shit...except for the straight line speed
Walter Rohrl recently claimed the new 997.2 450 HP and 2900 lbs GT3 RS runs around Nurburgring substantially faster than the GT-R. Though he declined to give some official numbers. I think he only said "under 7:35".

997.2 GT3 and GT3 RS FTW!!!!!
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:46 AM.




m3post
m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST