BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM Sport

09-01-2009, 07:00 PM   #1
gthirtyfizle
Colonel

Drives: E92 M3 AW

Thumbs down Engine Malfunction: Reduced power

So I was about to get on the highway yesterday and wanted to show my boy how the car felt with the tune, so I kept it in second and driving slowly and once i got off the ramp nailed it. About 2 seconds into to it i get the engine malfunction light, reduced power. So I get off, Drive to the nearest safe spot, turned off the car and th light went away. Hasnt come back on or anything. Car doesnt feel and different either. Any clue what this can be or any thoughts if i shoudl leave it alone? Or shoudl i bring it in? Mayb wait to c if it comes back again?
      09-01-2009, 07:03 PM   #2
mixja
Captain

Drives: 2011 E90 DCT Silverstone

Do you have the latest software update?

I had a similar fault, but it only occurred in cooler temperatures (< 40F).

It was a known issue (something to do with a clutch/gearbox sensor miscalibration with software measurements) and latest software update fixed it.
mixja is offline   United_States
      09-01-2009, 07:18 PM   #3
gthirtyfizle
Colonel

My car is a 6mt.. Dont thik i need any software
      09-01-2009, 07:22 PM   #4
Space Ghost
Captain

Drives: E92 M3

I had this same thing after my tune. At first I thought it was related to those issues being reported on the idle valve going bad so, I ended up taking it to the dealer and they said that i had 15 different codes being thrown. They asked if I wanted a reflash or just the codes lifted which is what I did. Havent had an issue since and that was six months ago.

I dont know if its right or not but, I ended up relating it to the order in which my mods were done. I did exhaust (including cat delete yes, I had a cel) UP and filter drove it for a month or two and then the software update to make it all work together.

I think if i had done the software update at the same time as the other mods i wouldnt have run into this.

My 2cents.
Space Ghost is offline   United_States
      09-01-2009, 07:43 PM   #5
mixja
Captain

Drives: 2011 E90 DCT Silverstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthirtyfizle View Post
Take it to your BMW SA - I wouldn't be surprised if it is a software related issue that requires a software update. In my case, both DCT and DME (engine management) modules needed software update.
mixja is offline   United_States
      09-01-2009, 10:10 PM   #6
Nawaaz
Brigadier General

Drives: .

Quote:
So I was about to get on the highway yesterday and wanted to show my boy how the car felt with the tune, so I kept it in second and driving slowly and once i got off the ramp nailed it. About 2 seconds into to it i get the engine malfunction light, reduced power. So I get off, Drive to the nearest safe spot, turned off the car and th light went away. Hasnt come back on or anything. Car doesnt feel and different either. Any clue what this can be or any thoughts if i shoudl leave it alone? Or shoudl i bring it in? Mayb wait to c if it comes back again?
Did you just get the tune done recently?

If so, maybe the ECU is still getting used to the new changes....
Nawaaz is offline   United_States
      09-02-2009, 09:27 AM   #7
rfoss
Private First Class

Drives: '08 E92 M3 Jerez/Fox

I had the powerchip tune done at Lomotion and had THE EXACT SAME THING happen this morning on the way to work. I was driving around town and hit the onramp in 3rd and nailed it. A few seconds later the engine light came on (Engine Malfunction/Reduced Power). Like you I immediately pulled over and restarted the car. The light came right back on and then I called the closest dealer and they told me to restart again. I restarted and drove another 30 miles with no problems, but am still not convinced the problem is solved. I think there might be a few things at work here and since we have very similar mods, let's try to nail it down.
1. I think we can both agree that the tune has likely caused this problem
2. The day I had the car tuned it was extremely hot an humid (90+) ...is there a chance that given the drastic change in temp (it was 55 degrees here this AM) that the AFR is out of whack with our tune and it's causing a misfire. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it, but the SA at the dealer said it could be a misfire, which I would likely attribute to the tune.
3. Could, like Nawaaz, mentioned the ECU still be in adaptation mode given a more agresive AFR/timing map and the drastic drop in temps up here over the past week.

As it relates to the possible technical reasons for why the tune might be the problem, I really have no clue what I'm talking about and purely speculating. Can anyone more technically savvy chime in here?

I'll report back after my drive home this evening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawaaz View Post
Did you just get the tune done recently?

If so, maybe the ECU is still getting used to the new changes....

Last edited by rfoss; 09-02-2009 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Drove 30 miles w/no problems, not 3
rfoss is offline   United_States
      09-02-2009, 09:44 AM   #8
TonyTone
Major

Drives: M3 VERT

Send a message via Skype™ to TonyTone
Damn thats weird
TonyTone is offline   United_States
      09-02-2009, 12:48 PM   #9
golemite
Sleeper

Drives: B5 S4/E92 M3

hope everything works out
golemite is offline   United_States
      09-02-2009, 03:27 PM   #10
elp_jc
Brigadier General

You guys are brave. With an engine so complicated (VANOS) and expensive, don't know how you can trust a tune blindly. I did that once with my '06 GTO, and fried the cats. Plus couldn't even tell the difference. Never again for me; I learned to live the way my cars are, and in the case of the M3, it's pretty darn good right out of the box . Good day.
elp_jc is offline   United_States
      09-02-2009, 04:00 PM   #11
FrenchBoy
onehotlap.com contributor

Drives: '09 E90 M3

Exact same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago (Engine max RPM reduced to 4500, DSC, Brake and Engine Malfunction amber icons on the dash). Turned it off, turned it back on, everything was fine and has been since.

I did call my local BMW SA to inquire. He pretty much told me to call him back if it happens again. Otherwise, don't worry about it... Just a glitch apparently

My car is a 6 speed with no engine mods.

Quote:

2009 E90 M3 | SG | FR | 6Speed | Akrapovic Evo | JRZ RS1 | StopTech Trophy | Cantrell Brake Ducts
FrenchBoy is offline   France
      09-02-2009, 04:05 PM   #12
!Xoible
Banned

Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [3.50]
2007 335i  [4.50]
2008 528i  [4.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [4.00]
Quote:
yep, that's how it starts... next thing you get is the "increased emissions" and it's downhill from there. have fun!
!Xoible is offline   United_States
      09-02-2009, 04:09 PM   #13
gthirtyfizle
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfoss View Post
I had the powerchip tune done at Lomotion and had THE EXACT SAME THING happen this morning on the way to work. I was driving around town and hit the onramp in 3rd and nailed it. A few seconds later the engine light came on (Engine Malfunction/Reduced Power). Like you I immediately pulled over and restarted the car. The light came right back on and then I called the closest dealer and they told me to restart again. I restarted and drove another 30 miles with no problems, but am still not convinced the problem is solved. I think there might be a few things at work here and since we have very similar mods, let's try to nail it down.
2. The day I had the car tuned it was extremely hot an humid (90+) ...is there a chance that given the drastic change in temp (it was 55 degrees here this AM) that the AFR is out of whack with our tune and it's causing a misfire. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it, but the SA at the dealer said it could be a misfire, which I would likely attribute to the tune.
3. Could, like Nawaaz, mentioned the ECU still be in adaptation mode given a more agresive AFR/timing map and the drastic drop in temps up here over the past week.

As it relates to the possible technical reasons for why the tune might be the problem, I really have no clue what I'm talking about and purely speculating. Can anyone more technically savvy chime in here?

At this point im pretty sure it hs to do with the tune as well. Funny thing is, We both got the error within the same time span of getting the tune. Im trying to c if the error pops up again. So far nothing. Let me know if anything changes with you.
      09-02-2009, 04:11 PM   #14
gthirtyfizle
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Xoible View Post
yep, that's how it starts... next thing you get is the "increased emissions" and it's downhill from there. have fun!
Patiently waiting

In the meantime.......
      09-02-2009, 06:30 PM   #15
Space Ghost
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Ghost View Post
I had this same thing after my tune. At first I thought it was related to those issues being reported on the idle valve going bad so, I ended up taking it to the dealer and they said that i had 15 different codes being thrown. They asked if I wanted a reflash or just the codes lifted which is what I did. Havent had an issue since and that was six months ago.

I dont know if its right or not but, I ended up relating it to the order in which my mods were done. I did exhaust (including cat delete yes, I had a cel) UP and filter drove it for a month or two and then the software update to make it all work together.

I think if i had done the software update at the same time as the other mods i wouldnt have run into this.

My 2cents.
OMG I must have bad karma! I post this yesterday and get cel today! Took it to auto zone to have the code read and it states "idle control valve" so I immieadiatly drive to dealership and am told they need to replace the idle control valve!
      09-02-2009, 06:56 PM   #16
elp_jc
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Ghost View Post
...and am told they need to replace the idle control valve!
What's your mileage? Is your car an '08? I think that stupid valve is going to eventually crap out on ALL '08 cars, and I might not put enough miles to happen during warranty. I wonder if I claim an intermittent problem without codes thrown can get me a new one . Less than 2K miles now.
elp_jc is offline   United_States
      09-02-2009, 07:14 PM   #17
SCCAForums.com
Captain

Drives: Race Cars

I may be getting confused by 'tune' in the context here? Is this an 'aftermarket' companies 'tune'? Or is this that you received a 'reflash' from the dealer... and then received this error?

Thanks,
Dave
2008 Lexus IS-F (Sold) 12.5 @ 113 / 2008 Shelby GT500 (Sold) 11.3 @ 126
2008 e90 M3 6MT 12.8 @ 111 (Sold) / 2006 e60 M5 12.4 @ 114 (Sold)
SCCAForums.com is offline   United_States
      09-02-2009, 07:18 PM   #18
gthirtyfizle
Colonel

Aftermarket tune.....
      09-02-2009, 07:33 PM   #19
Space Ghost
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
What's your mileage? Is your car an '08? I think that stupid valve is going to eventually crap out on ALL '08 cars, and I might not put enough miles to happen during warranty. I wonder if I claim an intermittent problem without codes thrown can get me a new one . Less than 2K miles now.
2008 11.5k miles.
      09-02-2009, 07:49 PM   #20
stylinexpat
Captain

Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfoss View Post

Oh Oh...
      09-02-2009, 09:53 PM   #21
rfoss
Private First Class

Drives: '08 E92 M3 Jerez/Fox

I've put another 50 miles on the car (total of 80) since the light came on and have no problems whatsoever, and no change in drivability. I think it was a once time thing, but I will keep everyone posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
Oh Oh...
      09-02-2009, 09:54 PM   #22
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: 08 E90 M3 / 400whp Turbo 7

Garage List
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
It's not a huge deal if this happens, but it does happen from time to time. The ECU still may be adapting to the new parameters. If it keeps happening, we have no problem identifying and fixing the problem.

There are TONS of adaptations that come into play with these cars, and they really have to learn the environment (especially after a flash because the adaptation values are reset).

Don't worry about it, it's something that we can easily fix. However, it will probably stop doing it after a few days. We've tuned thousands of cars and sometimes we have to do a retune to fix an issue like this. It is not out of characteristic, and does not mean that anything is wrong with the car.

Just keep ripping the car hard and it will treat you well.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Mike Benvo is offline   United_States