BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

08-31-2009, 04:26 PM   #1
AckM3
Teh Shuffle Fairiez

Drives: Teh e92 M3

RD Sport RS-46 Test Drive

Setup

Stopped by PencilGeek's house on Saturday to meet nd54 on his way from Calgary to OC. Follow his progress here:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295341

PG and nd54 both have RD Sport RS-46 4.6L stroker motors, 2 of 6 in the country I believe. 527hp and 425ft/lbs estimated flywheel. Full stories on their cars here:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258230
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169232

We took a little drive before dinner. PG drove nd54's car, and I drove PG's car.

Route

Beautiful route planned by PG through the southbay backroads. I've heard these roads referred to as "Steve Dinan's Test Track". If only Steve knew...

It's 48.9 miles, or about two hours of driving by google's calculation. It's mostly scenic twisties (assuming you can find a moment to take your eyes off the road), but also includes a freeway section, some towns, and a long straight backroad (more on that later). Complete directions courtesy of PG:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...,0.527687&z=12

Warmup

It's very easy to drive slowly. Perfectly smooth at low speeds, you can putter about at low rpm with no hassle. I had no trouble taking off from a stop. Pulling away in second is also effortless. The exhaust also complements this. It's deep and growly but quiet at low rpm. There is only the tiniest drone, to which I'm usually very sensitive, but it didn't bother me at all. There is absolutely zero drama about it. You could happily trot down to the supermarket in this car, just like you would with the stock motor. This is one of the things I love about my stock car, and I'm glad that this character has been maintained here.

Twisties

A-C and D-G on PG's map.

The road cleared and I saw nd54's car, PG at the helm, take off, so I dropped a few gears and opened her up. The acceleration was brutal. With 100 extra foot-pounds on tap, it kicked me hard in the back. It pulled strongly all the way through the revs, but was always smooth. It kept pulling longer than stock, since the torque peaks about 1000rpm higher. Max hp is reached a bit lower than stock (not that far off the old S54 motor), but that doesn't stop you from revving higher. The exhaust also opened up nicely at this point. I could hear an aggressive but not obnoxious growl from nd54's car up ahead, with a nice roar inside PG's car as I ripped through the rpm range.

Didn't redline too many gears since we were still on the twisties. The great thing is that with so much torque on hand, I could sit in a lower gear. With stock, I'd be topping out 2nd on tight corners, but with the stroker, 3rd was more than sufficient. When we did get stuck behind traffic, I could easily drop it into 5th or 6th and cruise. Again, the torque is very welcome. The motor just pulled from anywhere in the rev range.

Power delivery, as I said, could be brutal if desired, but it was also incredibly easy to modulate as we carved the road. Throttle response was absolutely instant but very precise: as long as I was smooth, it was very controlled. DSC did not intervene much here if at all. With a heavy foot I'm sure it would, but I'm used to driving my car with DSC completely disabled at the track. It makes for a very rewarding driving experience. I never felt like I was on a knife edge, even with all that power on tap.

Freeway

C-D on the map.

We hit a straight, open freeway ramp about halfway through the drive. Smoothness went right out the window here. DSC had a seizure most of the way up the ramp, I think I was spinning all the way into 3rd. 2nd, redline, 3rd, redline, 4th, and then backed off. I forget exactly where in the revs, but I didn't care, I was grinning massively at that point.

Again, 5th and 6th were great for cruising, with plenty of power on tap if necessary. Passing in 6th was no problem, I would just plant the pedal. Completely effortless.

Crapping My Pants

G-H on the map.

This is a perfectly straight backroad. PG nailed it and I did the same. We were flat out for most of this all the way into 4th gear. PG backed off a little and I rolled up next to him, thinking maybe we could run. Still in 4th gear at this point. I waved at him, looked straight, and...

...went flying straight past a sherrif on the side of the road...

We didn't even see him until then, I guess there were some bushes in the way. We both hit the brakes (it does give you away, but at the speeds we were doing we would have been screwed anyway) and slowed down. I was sitting slightly higher off the seat at this point, and was reminding myself not to drop the soap in prison. But another look revealed that the sherrif had already pulled someone over and was writing him up. So we just cruised...and cruised...and stopped at the traffic lights, and then took off, and cruised...and nothing...and eventually made it to Dinan.

Dinan

We made a short stop at Dinan for pictures. Again, if Steve only knew what pulled up outside his HQ. Go add your captions here to my terrible iPhone pic, nd54 has better quality pics on the way:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297061

Conclusions

Driveability is the key here. This isn't some unwieldy turbo monster that wants to put you in the weeds every time you touch the pedal. If you mash the pedal then yes, you will go sideways. But it is absolutely civilized when you want it to be, which is what BMW intended. The character of the stock motor is intact: it revs high, it's butter smooth, and the response is wicked. There's just much more on tap all the way through the rpm range. The balance of the car is perfectly maintained.

Thanks

I owe an enormous debt to PG. I didn't expect to drive his car at all; at best I thought I'd get a ride around the block. But he handed me his keys with his full trust for the entire trip. He was also an incredibly generous host, grilling tri-tip and chicken for us and keeping us entertained until well past midnight. The man's talents extend far beyond his car this forum (except to drinking, at which he is a complete an utter failure).

I must also thank nd54 for making the trip, because without it this probably wouldn't have happened. He trusted me not to embed PG's car in his rear bumper. He's also very enthusiastic and knowledgable, and like PG, very clear about his reasons for going with the stroker. Pleasure to have met him.
      08-31-2009, 04:45 PM   #2
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics

Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others

Great story ACK!! Very well summarized and am just soooo damn jealous I could not make it out there with all of you this weekend.
      08-31-2009, 05:03 PM   #3
ModLikeMad
Enlisted Member

Drives: Soon to be 09' M3

Just fantastic...

Thanks for the great write up, I'll be thinking about it again once its time to go
FI or NA stroker...

Congrats to all you guys with this intense engine, i hope you are able to enjoy it for many years to come
      08-31-2009, 05:14 PM   #4
Big Windy
Major General

Drives: audi s4

Garage List
Great story, thanks for sharing...glad you're not writing from your one hour time on the computer in prison .
      08-31-2009, 07:29 PM   #5
Finnegan
Major General

Drives: Sapphire Black/Black Z4Mc

Great write up.

This answers my "what happened at PG's BBQ" question!
Finnegan is offline   United_States
      08-31-2009, 10:08 PM   #6
nd54
Captain

Drives: RDSport RS 46

Very nice meeting you AckM3 and I'm glad you liked the car. I'm also glad that nothing happened with that sheriff...I guess that was our lucky day.

Unfortunately my pictures outside of Dinan were no better, it was just too dark:

nd54 is offline   United_States
      09-01-2009, 12:17 AM   #7
elp_jc
Brigadier General

Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd54 View Post
I'm also glad that nothing happened with that sheriff...I guess that was our lucky day.
Indeed. A click of his radio would have landed you in the slammer for racing, and your pristine strokers a (scratchy) ride to the pound . Glad nothing happened. Now that most states are in severe financial distress, we have to be more careful than ever with cops. Take care.
elp_jc is offline   United_States
      09-01-2009, 12:38 AM   #8
endofanera7
Major General

Drives: 08 JB E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to endofanera7 Send a message via MSN to endofanera7
AckM3's reaction at redlines

endofanera7 is offline   No_Country
      09-01-2009, 08:48 AM   #9
the infamous...