BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-21-2009, 12:00 PM   #1
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
 
ruff's Avatar
 
Drives: 987 S .2, Lemond Zurich
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The mountains of Utah

Posts: 1,184
iTrader: (0)

A salutation to the M3 part 2, exit stage left

Have close to 2500 miles on a 09 Cayman S. Bought it because I had a very weak moment and found myself buried up to my eyeballs in an incredible deal that I didn't have the guts to get out of. The car computer says I am averaging 25.4 mpg so far. Most of those miles were acquired driving through beautiful hill country in the great state of Texas where the car was purchased. Yes, Texas is big and the barbecue is to die for.

Very few 09 Caymans are fitted with the new factory LSD; rare indeed, especially in combination with a 6MT. I made sure the car I bought had one and Texas was the State with one. The additional 25 ponies + LSD pushes this car to world class driving levels. The key is the low weight and and low mid engine placement. The limits are so high on this car that it makes novice drivers falsely believe they have talent in short order.

By far, the biggest minus to the car is the Porsche name, and the price associated with that name, which is frankly embarrassing and leads one down the the road to financial ruin. The woes of conspicuous consumption. I thought I could hide the car in my garage but security has been breached and rumors continue to leak at higher than expected levels. Amazing how far stereotypes can stretch on an extremely overpriced car with German origins and a fancy name. The Accord is attention and drama free and has been genius from a financial stand point. Not a shabby driver either, with it's low weight, free revving motor, and slick shifter.

Still a member of BMWCCA and plan on keeping it that way. That is, unless I see X6 M yacht owners show up making the claim they bought it because they wanted the ultimate driving machine. And for Porsche owners, I hate to break it to you but there are excellent substitutes including every itineration of the M3. The M3 picture in my office remains my favorite piece of automotive memorabilia.
__________________
All things are subject to interpretation; whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
ruff is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-21-2009, 12:26 PM   #2
immiketoo
Colonel
 
immiketoo's Avatar
 
Drives: Smoothly
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago Burbs

Posts: 2,873
iTrader: (0)

So, you don't have the M anymore? +1 on the Cayman. Incredible car...
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
immiketoo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-21-2009, 12:45 PM   #3
Cabinetman
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2012 IS-F
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Keller, TX

Posts: 432
iTrader: (0)

I'm glad you are enjoying the Cayman. My dad had a base model and it was fun to drive but definitely needed the extra ponies the S offers. I wouldn't mind owning one myself, but my wife is against the idea of strapping my two boy's car seats to the roof.
Cabinetman is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-21-2009, 01:03 PM   #4
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
 
southlight's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Germany

Posts: 6,746
iTrader: (0)

Congrats ruff. I don't want to brag, but I always told you this would be the right car for you.


Best regards,
south
__________________
Those forums...WHY NOT?


JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
southlight is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-21-2009, 02:27 PM   #5
jk6672
First Lieutenant
 
jk6672's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E90 m3 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: El Centro, Ca

Posts: 332
iTrader: (2)

I've never driven a Cayman S, how would you compare the M3 with the Cayman S?
I think the Cayman body style is sexy, way nicer looking than the 911. Post some pics
jk6672 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-21-2009, 05:13 PM   #6
oneginee
Banned
 
Drives: GT3 RS
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: SE

Posts: 416
iTrader: (0)

I have driven the 911 4S and was left unimpressed. I do not like small sports cars that feel like a kart. It is great on a race track with lots of twists but feels like you are doing so much work behind the wheel all the time. Even the 135i is too small for my liking.
oneginee is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-21-2009, 05:44 PM   #7
fpblue
Second Lieutenant
 
fpblue's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Jerez Black E90
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: My Couch

Posts: 281
iTrader: (0)

No offense, but the Cayman looks like a bug. It is also very cramped in there. The performance is not even close to the M3, unless it will be tracked all the time. The looks critique is just my opinion and will probably be in the minority.
fpblue is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-21-2009, 05:51 PM   #8
Finnegan
Major General
 
Finnegan's Avatar
 
Drives: Sapphire Black/Black Z4Mc
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: At the track..or wishing I were at the track

Posts: 6,370
iTrader: (17)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk6672 View Post
I've never driven a Cayman S, how would you compare the M3 with the Cayman S?
I'd be interested in the comparason as well. That would be interesting.

Congrutulations btw.
Finnegan is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-21-2009, 05:56 PM   #9
panbo
Private First Class
 
panbo's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 6mt
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NA

Posts: 148
iTrader: (0)

very enjoyable car!! congrats & enjoy it in good health
panbo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-21-2009, 05:58 PM   #10
zenderm3
Lieutenant Colonel
 
zenderm3's Avatar
 
Drives: E36 M3 DY/2010 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Brisbane

Posts: 1,961
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff View Post
Have close to 2500 miles on a 09 Cayman S. Bought it because I had a very weak moment and found myself buried up to my eyeballs in an incredible deal that I didn't have the guts to get out of. The car computer says I am averaging 25.4 mpg so far. Most of those miles were acquired driving through beautiful hill country in the great state of Texas where the car was purchased. Yes, Texas is big and the barbecue is to die for.

Very few 09 Caymans are fitted with the new factory LSD; rare indeed, especially in combination with a 6MT. I made sure the car I bought had one and Texas was the State with one. The additional 25 ponies + LSD pushes this car to world class driving levels. The key is the low weight and and low mid engine placement. The limits are so high on this car that it makes novice drivers falsely believe they have talent in short order.

By far, the biggest minus to the car is the Porsche name, and the price associated with that name, which is frankly embarrassing and leads one down the the road to financial ruin. The woes of conspicuous consumption. I thought I could hide the car in my garage but security has been breached and rumors continue to leak at higher than expected levels. Amazing how far stereotypes can stretch on an extremely overpriced car with German origins and a fancy name. The Accord is attention and drama free and has been genius from a financial stand point. Not a shabby driver either, with it's low weight, free revving motor, and slick shifter.

Still a member of BMWCCA and plan on keeping it that way. That is, unless I see X6 M yacht owners show up making the claim they bought it because they wanted the ultimate driving machine. And for Porsche owners, I hate to break it to you but there are excellent substitutes including every itineration of the M3. The M3 picture in my office remains my favorite piece of automotive memorabilia.
Thanks ruff - great overview - I have a lot of respect for Porsche and totally agree with your comments about the kind of car it truly is... in concert with the bad side of cost/image associated.

That being said - I have a lot of respect for you and your considerations (and taste!) when it comes to the ///M - it would be easy for you to say one is better than the other - instead you sound like a true engineer and appreciate the benefits and nature and outcomes of the vehicles side-by-side.

Kudos on the car.
__________________
________________
My ///M is in my garage .... and it is a beast!
2010 E92 M3 Space Grey | Fully Loaded
1996 E36 M3 Dakar Yellow - No Longer With Me
2004 Honda Accord Euro - SOLD
zenderm3 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      08-22-2009, 02:25 PM   #11
swamp2
Lieutenant General
 
swamp2's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA USA

Posts: 10,142
iTrader: (1)

Congrats Ruff, so glad to hear you finally purchased a wonderful car. Enjoy it to the fullest.
__________________
E92 M3 | Space Gray on Fox Red | M-DCT | CF Roof | RAC RG63 Wheels | Brembo 380mm BBK |
| Vorsteiner Ti Exhaust | Matte Black Grilles/Side Gills/Rear Emblem/Mirrors |
| Alekshop Back up Camera | GP Thunders | BMW Aluminum Pedals | Elite Angels |
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
swamp2 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-23-2009, 07:31 AM   #12
urbo73
Captain
 
Drives: cars
Join Date: May 2006
Location: USA

Posts: 652
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
I'd be interested in the comparason as well. That would be interesting.

Congrutulations btw.
I've had both, they are totally different cars. What would you like to know? I made a recent post on this in another thread. Post #44 here:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=289143&page=2
urbo73 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-24-2009, 06:12 PM   #13
Finnegan
Major General
 
Finnegan's Avatar
 
Drives: Sapphire Black/Black Z4Mc
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: At the track..or wishing I were at the track

Posts: 6,370
iTrader: (17)

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbo73 View Post
I've had both, they are totally different cars. What would you like to know? I made a recent post on this in another thread. Post #44 here:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=289143&page=2
That thread (and your post) pretty much covered the bases...thanks.
Finnegan is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-24-2009, 07:17 PM   #14
warzilla
Lieutenant
 
warzilla's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NYC

Posts: 475
iTrader: (-1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff View Post
By far, the biggest minus to the car is the Porsche name, and the price associated with that name, which is frankly embarrassing and leads one down the the road to financial ruin. The woes of conspicuous consumption.
That was very elegantly said Ruff. Felt the same way when I was looking at some 911s before I brought the m3. Its really really overpriced for what it is (but yes, they are great cars).

I think thats why Porsche is in the position it is in now, there isn't enough wall street bonus babies around to pay those ridiculous asking prices from the p-car dealers.
warzilla is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-25-2009, 08:47 AM   #15
MJC///M3
Colonel
 
MJC///M3's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bronx, NYC

Posts: 2,327
iTrader: (0)

very nice write-up ruff. I thoroughly enjoyed the read.
__________________
"You will get there, but it is up to you and you alone. It is what you are willing to do, and how you are willing to get there. You must be relentless, you must be tireless, you must pursue at all costs, so that you are ready, when the time is right." -Dad
MJC///M3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-25-2009, 11:13 AM   #16
footie
Major General
 
footie's Avatar
 
Drives: ????????????
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: BMW M3 will get a V6TT

Posts: 7,507
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Congrats ruff, you have possibly bought the best Porsche available today (price calculated in) and thus the best sportscar PERIOD.

Yes Porsches are dear when you look at what you get in outright performance compared to the M3 but there is a certain kudos with driving a Porsche that you don't get with an M3 (some might prefer it that way) and what it may lack in outright acceleration it more than makes up for it the quality of every major control you happen to lay your hand on and how it actually behaves around the limit. I reckon that excellence comes at a price and the nearer you go to that pinnacle the more expensive each single gain becomes.
footie is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      08-25-2009, 12:35 PM   #17
urbo73
Captain
 
Drives: cars
Join Date: May 2006
Location: USA

Posts: 652
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by warzilla View Post
That was very elegantly said Ruff. Felt the same way when I was looking at some 911s before I brought the m3. Its really really overpriced for what it is (but yes, they are great cars).

I think thats why Porsche is in the position it is in now, there isn't enough wall street bonus babies around to pay those ridiculous asking prices from the p-car dealers.
What car ISN'T overpriced for what it really is? You think the M3 is priced "fairly"? It costs less, but one can also say it's overpriced. If you are looking for good "values", don't look at cars - sports cars especially. Or buy used.
urbo73 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-25-2009, 03:49 PM   #18
991GT3
Captain
 
991GT3's Avatar
 
Drives: Cayenne Turbo
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: North Dakota

Posts: 738
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbo73 View Post
What car ISN'T overpriced for what it really is? You think the M3 is priced "fairly"? It costs less, but one can also say it's overpriced. If you are looking for good "values", don't look at cars - sports cars especially. Or buy used.
precisely
__________________
-2011 Cayenne Turbo
-2012 Cayenne Turbo
-2013 VelociRaptor 600
991GT3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-25-2009, 07:00 PM   #19
pepper
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 0 degrees

Posts: 262
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbo73 View Post
What car ISN'T overpriced for what it really is? You think the M3 is priced "fairly"? It costs less, but one can also say it's overpriced. If you are looking for good "values", don't look at cars - sports cars especially. Or buy used.
so true, but what is life without fun? they got us good, that's all I can say.

women and shopping / men and cars..
pepper is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-25-2009, 07:04 PM   #20
pepper
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 0 degrees

Posts: 262
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneginee View Post
I have driven the 911 4S and was left unimpressed. I do not like small sports cars that feel like a kart. It is great on a race track with lots of twists but feels like you are doing so much work behind the wheel all the time. Even the 135i is too small for my liking.
man ,then I have to suggest the mini cooper to you, also is the smart car, fun as hell, then there is the ...
pepper is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-29-2009, 07:22 PM   #21
bonk55
Registered
 
bonk55's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 335i Sport
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Utah

Posts: 3
iTrader: (0)

Alpine loop

Rumor has it that someone in a new Cayman S was seen smokin everything in site around the Alpine Loop during the BMW rally...surely that wouldn't have been you...or would it?
bonk55 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-30-2009, 05:37 PM   #22
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
 
ruff's Avatar
 
Drives: 987 S .2, Lemond Zurich
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The mountains of Utah

Posts: 1,184
iTrader: (0)




There is no indication that this particular car was equipped with an optional LSD, possibly leading to the understeer comments by Pobst. IMO, an LSD is the must have option to extract the full potential of Cayman's world class chassis. Most people who own or have driven Caymans have never piloted one with an LSD. The PDK, though efficiently fast, adds 55 lbs of pork, pushing the car's mass past the critical 3 k barrier. Mass and cornering speed are forever mortal enemies.
__________________
All things are subject to interpretation; whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
ruff is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:00 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST