BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM Sport
Closed Thread

08-11-2009, 09:47 AM   #45
arr0gant
Lieutenant

Drives: 1996 911 Carrera Cab

It has menacing presence and *looks* like a supercar

1996 911 Carrera Cabriolet

2006 Porsche Cayman S, 2004 M3 Vert, 2008 BMW M3 Sedan, 2001 911 Turbo, 2002 Porsche 911 C4S, 2004 Cadillac CTS-V, Porsche Boxster S
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 09:50 AM   #46
Mr.Metak2you
Brigadier General

Drives: LEXUS LS(DailyDriver)
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwr'

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr0gant View Post
It has menacing presence and *looks* like a supercar
It drives like one too!
      08-11-2009, 10:03 AM   #47
SoreHead
Captain
Canada

Drives: 2009 M3 coupe - Manual

Garage List
2009 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC///M3 View Post
Def kudos on the AM bro, they are sick cars...I rode in one once and I was

To stay on topic with the OP, at this stage of my life; the M3 is the best car for me....just turned 25 and am single. Aside from the fact I have always wanted an M3, the E92 was exactly what I was looking for, a car that is fast, fun, classy, and delivers non-stop thrills. IMO no other car has the complete package like the M has, family members/friends all beg to ride in the car, because it really is a fun car to drive...(I think they also like the attention it gets on the road) hehe. There will always be a faster/more expensive/better car out there...but I am very proud to own the M3, its an awesome car and I couldn't be any happier.
That's a good point. No matter what car it's being compared with the M3 is not and has never been a car to be ashamed of. It's a legend in every market in the world and has been since the first model came out. There still has never been a model that has been badly rated by any motoring press etc.

There's always going to be something faster/better/cheaper/better looking out there but I guarantee you that if you go back through their history they've had at least one iteration that missed the mark.

I could have bought pretty much any car I wanted when I got here but I CHOSE the M3 and I'm not disappointed in the slightest. The overall package is nothing short of stunning.

Is it #1? Probably not but it's not far off it.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 10:10 AM   #48
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States

Drives: .

Quote:
Def kudos on the AM bro, they are sick cars...I rode in one once and I was

To stay on topic with the OP, at this stage of my life; the M3 is the best car for me....just turned 25 and am single. Aside from the fact I have always wanted an M3, the E92 was exactly what I was looking for, a car that is fast, fun, classy, and delivers non-stop thrills. IMO no other car has the complete package like the M has, family members/friends all beg to ride in the car, because it really is a fun car to drive...(I think they also like the attention it gets on the road) hehe. There will always be a faster/more expensive/better car out there...but I am very proud to own the M3, its an awesome car and I couldn't be any happier.
+1

I'm about to turn 24, and my 4 door M3 is perfect for my wife and 1 yr old. It's the perfect daily driver for me.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 10:59 AM   #49
bdkevoIX
Captain

Drives: 06 Evo IX Mr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Metak View Post
I assume you are talking to me. I never said it was on par I was said it was faster than the SL55 AMG. Stock for stock, that is a fact. Now if we are talking Sl63 black, that is a sub 4 sec car and an entirely different story. Let me digress a bit, I really like the SL55 AMG, I think it is a gorgeous car and fast enough. I was just pointing out that performance isn't the end all in choosing a 'performance' car, especially when we are splitting tenths of a second in performance.
Thanx for the clarification. For some reason, I thought SL55 AMG would be much faster..
      08-11-2009, 11:01 AM   #50
SoreHead
Captain
Canada

Drives: 2009 M3 coupe - Manual

Garage List
2009 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawaaz View Post
+1

I'm about to turn 24, and my 4 door M3 is perfect for my wife and 1 yr old. It's the perfect daily driver for me.
24? You little whipper snapper. I could be your dad
I'm not though so sod off
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 11:13 AM   #51
Mr.Metak2you
Brigadier General

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkevoIX View Post
Thanx for the clarification. For some reason, I thought SL55 AMG would be much faster..
Again, we are splitting hairs here. Essentially the same in a straight line. Weight is the SL's biggest enemy. I just did a quick search for reference:

Name:  quick ref.JPG
Views: 174
Size:  57.5 KB

Last edited by Mr.Metak2you; 08-11-2009 at 11:35 AM. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 11:24 AM   #52
Give Me M3

Drives: 95 Rx7 02 Nsx 99 Gsx

I don't think anyone can regret getting there M. Yea the GTR is nice but a different car. Different type of power and defiantly a different look. Even if it has a 70k+ price tag it still has the boy racer look and its still a nissan. The M will always be more sophisticated.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 11:28 AM   #53
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States

Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoreHead View Post
24? You little whipper snapper. I could be your dad
I'm not though so sod off
hahahehe....I don't wanna be your friend anymore since you're OLD. hahahaha jk mate
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 01:57 AM   #54
Koroush
Lieutenant
No_Country

Drives: nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Give Me M3 View Post
I don't think anyone can regret getting there M. Yea the GTR is nice but a different car. Different type of power and defiantly a different look. Even if it has a 70k+ price tag it still has the boy racer look and its still a nissan. The M will always be more sophisticated.
Yeah.. boy racers... God no.

08-12-2009, 10:05 AM   #55
MikeG_C63_AMG
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 Eurocharged C63 AMG

Quote:
I assume you are talking to me. I never said it was on par I was said it was faster than the SL55 AMG. Stock for stock, that is a fact. Now if we are talking Sl63 black, that is a sub 4 sec car and an entirely different story. Let me digress a bit, I really like the SL55 AMG, I think it is a gorgeous car and fast enough. I was just pointing out that performance isn't the end all in choosing a 'performance' car, especially when we are splitting tenths of a second in performance.
Anyone ever go up against a SL55 yet here? Are there any videos of a M3 Vs SL55 on youtube? Kinda pointless comparision when one car had a MSRP of double the other.

BTW there is no such thing as an SL 63 Black.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 10:25 AM   #56
Mr.Metak2you
Brigadier General

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG_C63_AMG View Post
Anyone ever go up against a SL55 yet here? Are there any videos of a M3 Vs SL55 on youtube? Kinda pointless comparision when one car had a MSRP of double the other.

You're right it's the 65 with the V-12tt, an oversight. As far as the comparison is concerned, it stemmed from this comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneginee View Post
"performance aside"
hmm that is a huge part of the making of a sportscar to dismiss then on the next line "M3 still #1" . I can only conclude that you openly classify yourself as a blatant M3 fanboy.....
The counterpoint I was making is that performance (when it is that close between vehicles) isn't the end all in deciding what car you are going to buy. That's why buying a car that is almost twice as much with same performance, like the person who posted this, can makes sense. Doesn't make him a MB fanboi and shouldn't make the M3 owner a fanboi because it tops his list of choices as #1.....
      08-12-2009, 11:55 AM   #57
nova_G
United_States

Drives: E90 335i

The fan boyism is stong in this one.

Brand whores =
      08-12-2009, 12:26 PM   #58
MJC///M3
Colonel
United_States

Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3

Quote:

Mike,

The only vid I saw on youtube was this one:

However, its a CSL vs the SL55......

it seems as if the other ones the E46's are not stock....

I would have thought the SL55 would be slightly faster than a stock E46...but to be honest, this is the first time I have heard them compared.
"You will get there, but it is up to you and you alone. It is what you are willing to do, and how you are willing to get there. You must be relentless, you must be tireless, you must pursue at all costs, so that you are ready, when the time is right." -Dad
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 12:36 PM   #59
MikeG_C63_AMG
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Mike,

The only vid I saw on youtube was this one:

However, its a CSL vs the SL55......

it seems as if the other ones the E46's are not stock....

I would have thought the SL55 would be slightly faster than a stock E46...but to be honest, this is the first time I have heard them compared.
I previously owned a E46 M3 (stock) and I know first hand I wouldn't have a prayer no matter what scenario I was in Vs any car equipped with the M113 V8 Kompressor Engine. Even the SL55 with its heavier weight will walk a E46 M3 (stock) and Non-FI version. The only chance you might have is if the person is driving with the top down in the SL55.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 12:44 PM   #60
MikeG_C63_AMG
First Lieutenant

Quote:
You're right it's the 65 with the V-12tt, an oversight. As far as the comparison is concerned, it stemmed from this comment:

The counterpoint I was making is that performance (when it is that close between vehicles) isn't the end all in deciding what car you are going to buy. That's why buying a car that is almost twice as much with same performance, like the person who posted this, can makes sense. Doesn't make him a MB fanboi and shouldn't make the M3 owner a fanboi because it tops his list of choices as #1.....
I see what you mean somewhat. But a SL55 and a M3 (regardless E92 or even E46) are on different levels in different categories.

Also in terms of the GT-R I think its in a different pricing bracket where maybe its "realistically" out of people price range. Its in the mid $80Ks with no discounts while M3 (Even now C63) can be purchase below invoice with greater incentives. Your looking at then a $20K+ price difference which isn't "chump change".
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 02:49 PM   #61
Koroush
Lieutenant
No_Country

Drives: nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova_G View Post

Brand whores =

Forum trolls

08-12-2009, 03:16 PM   #62
MJC///M3
Colonel
United_States

Quote:

Brand whores =
thats a solid post...really. try harder on your 4th.
"You will get there, but it is up to you and you alone. It is what you are willing to do, and how you are willing to get there. You must be relentless, you must be tireless, you must pursue at all costs, so that you are ready, when the time is right." -Dad
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 03:18 PM   #63
MJC///M3
Colonel
United_States

Quote:
I previously owned a E46 M3 (stock) and I know first hand I wouldn't have a prayer no matter what scenario I was in Vs any car equipped with the M113 V8 Kompressor Engine. Even the SL55 with its heavier weight will walk a E46 M3 (stock) and Non-FI version. The only chance you might have is if the person is driving with the top down in the SL55.
agreed. The drag factor with the top open would surely be advantageous for the E46...but the SL would still be putting down the hammer. Would be interesting to see.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 06:55 PM   #64
nova_G
United_States

Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koroush View Post
Forum trolls

Troll? Pretty funny how 100% of your post have been posted within the past two days after being a member for two years?

and because in the internet forum world, the number of post count is equivalent to your e-penis ... you're a tool .

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC///M3
thats a solid post...really. try harder on your 4th.
okay...IMO, the BADGE of the car should not deter a potential buyer from purchasing it, a REAL car enthusiast would see through the badges and appreciate the machine for what it is. I even give credit to SRT-4's because it does a great job for what it was set out to do, a fast eco car with a pretty solid engine and great modiblity. Although that's not to say that it isn't one of the ugliest cars in my book

IMO, I don't think people should be cross shopping between the M3 and the GTR. They are two completely different cars and are meant for two different crowds. That being said, I agree with the OP, all performance aside the M3 is pretty much in its own league and sets the benchmark for upcoming cars from other auto makers. Go
      08-12-2009, 08:26 PM   #65
MJC///M3
Colonel
United_States

Quote:

okay...IMO, the BADGE of the car should not deter a potential buyer from purchasing it, a REAL car enthusiast would see through the badges and appreciate the machine for what it is. I even give credit to SRT-4's because it does a great job for what it was set out to do, a fast eco car with a pretty solid engine and great modiblity. Although that's not to say that it isn't one of the ugliest cars in my book

IMO, I don't think people should be cross shopping between the M3 and the GTR. They are two completely different cars and are meant for two different crowds. That being said, I agree with the OP, all performance aside the M3 is pretty much in its own league and sets the benchmark for upcoming cars from other auto makers. Go
ahh..thats better. Just making sure you are not stereotyping all M3 owners as fan-boys. I appreciate the M3 for the performance/luxury vehicle that it is, I bought it b/c I love the car; never had the intentions of buying a car b/c I thought it would change people's perception of me. I bought it to enjoy it, and it has certainly not disappointed.

That being said...I think peeps cross-shop between the two b/c price wise they are not very different, the buyer is getting incredible performance for under 100K....(ignoring dealer markups that is)..I'm an avid BMW enthusiast...but as a fan of cars in general..the GTR is an all out monster that will walk the M any day of the week, even on Sundays...the car takes on the 997 turbo..and to me...that is the holy grail. I do agree and feel the M3 has sent the benchmark throughout the years and it is b/c of the M3 that we have such incredible competition such as the GTR, C63, RS4,5 ...so on and so forth...

Good look on the G35...that was and still is one of my favs....fantastic car.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 08:58 PM   #66
ihatepotholes
Enlisted Member

Drives: infiniti M45

Quote:

OK... whats a SL63 Black lets talk about it
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread