BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis
 
Lux Angel Eyes
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-06-2009, 09:56 PM   #1
monk
Second Lieutenant
 
monk's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 M3 Space Gray Coupe 6M
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA

Posts: 249
iTrader: (1)

Do wheel spacer installed void the manufactured warranty?

I am scheduled for an annual service and wondering if I need to remove the wheel spacer. Any advice would be very appreciated. I have H&R 15mm all around.
monk is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-06-2009, 10:11 PM   #2
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

Posts: 7,569
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by monk View Post
I am scheduled for an annual service and wondering if I need to remove the wheel spacer. Any advice would be very appreciated. I have H&R 15mm all around.
If you have a wheel bearing issue they could. I wouldn't worry about it, though.
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
GregW / Oregon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-06-2009, 11:13 PM   #3
elp_jc
Brigadier General
 
Drives: .
Join Date: May 2008
Location: .

Posts: 4,910
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
If you have a wheel bearing issue they will.
Fixed . If I were you, I'd remove them. I know nothing is going to happen during your visit, but if a tech with a keen eye happen to notice the spacers and he records that on their system, bye bye warranty. Why take that small risk when they're so easy to remove? But that's just my opinion. Good luck man.
elp_jc is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-07-2009, 12:28 PM   #4
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
 
Drives: BMW Duh
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Santa Clara

Posts: 17,022
iTrader: (13)

Send a message via AIM to SV Concepts III
If it's not too difficult, it can't hurt to remove them but they shouldn't have an effect on your warranty.
SV Concepts III is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-07-2009, 12:32 PM   #5
swamp2
Lieutenant General
 
swamp2's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA USA

Posts: 10,201
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Fixed . If I were you, I'd remove them. I know nothing is going to happen during your visit, but if a tech with a keen eye happen to notice the spacers and he records that on their system, bye bye warranty. Why take that small risk when they're so easy to remove? But that's just my opinion. Good luck man.
I disagree. As they say there are no guarantees in life and according to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act the dealer would have to PROVE the spacer caused the failure, which he really can't do. Of course that being said I think it is likely they would try to not provide the warranty.
swamp2 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-07-2009, 12:40 PM   #6
elp_jc
Brigadier General
 
Drives: .
Join Date: May 2008
Location: .

Posts: 4,910
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Jlevi SW View Post
they shouldn't have an effect on your warranty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
the dealer would have to PROVE the spacer caused the failure, which he really can't do.
We're talking WHEEL BEARING WARRANTY folks, not the entire warranty. And good luck winning a fight about wheel bearing failure with wheel spacers. It's a no-brainer.

I was just trying to help. With most manufacturers in financial distress, why take chances? It's just once a year, and easy to do. Your call. Have a great weekend gang.
elp_jc is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-08-2009, 02:17 AM   #7
swamp2
Lieutenant General
 
swamp2's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA USA

Posts: 10,201
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
We're talking WHEEL BEARING WARRANTY folks, not the entire warranty. And good luck winning a fight about wheel bearing failure with wheel spacers. It's a no-brainer.
So was I.

It may be a "fight" initially but if you pushed really hard I suspect you would still win. It is only a slightly more concrete case of something like say higher grip tires causing a suspension failure. It is the same basic argument. One can hypothesize the mod contributed to the higher stress but that is not proof. I am certainly not positive and as mentioned be smart, just take the mod in question off to be safe with your own money if any issue ever arises.
swamp2 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-08-2009, 09:31 AM   #8
jml
Captain
 
jml's Avatar
 
Drives: E90M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Austin, TX

Posts: 984
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
We're talking WHEEL BEARING WARRANTY folks, not the entire warranty. And good luck winning a fight about wheel bearing failure with wheel spacers. It's a no-brainer.

I was just trying to help. With most manufacturers in financial distress, why take chances? It's just once a year, and easy to do. Your call. Have a great weekend gang.
+1 - it would be pretty hard to argue that the spacer did not contribute to accelerated wear because the additional load - however, that also goes for wheel and tire combos that do not provide the factory spec offset.
jml is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-08-2009, 12:52 PM   #9
elp_jc
Brigadier General
 
Drives: .
Join Date: May 2008
Location: .

Posts: 4,910
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
It may be a "fight" initially but if you pushed really hard I suspect you would still win.
Nobody sane is going to fight a corporate lawyer over wheel bearings for having spacers (besides, just the consultation fee would probably pay for them), so at the end you'd lose regardless.

Some people feel they can win an argument regardless of how crazy that is, just like debate class in high school, so I'm bowing out of this discussion to avoid a pissing contest. Each owner can take the risk he wants. Have a nice weekend man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml View Post
+1. It would be pretty hard to argue that the spacer did not contribute to accelerated wear because the additional load. However, that also goes for wheel and tire combos that do not provide the factory spec offset.
Absolutely true; that's why it's always ideal to keep the same relative offset (from center of the wheel). However, a wheel spacer jumps at you, while wheel offset doesn't. Same analogy with a CAI or just a racing filter inside stock airbox. Take care.

Last edited by elp_jc; 08-08-2009 at 01:28 PM.
elp_jc is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-08-2009, 01:40 PM   #10
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

Posts: 7,569
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jml View Post
+1 - it would be pretty hard to argue that the spacer did not contribute to accelerated wear because the additional load - however, that also goes for wheel and tire combos that do not provide the factory spec offset.
I'll bet most dealers don't care that much as long as they are getting reimbursed for a warranty repair by BMW. As long as they don't note aftermarket equipment on the service order, noone upstream will ever know.
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
GregW / Oregon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-08-2009, 08:46 PM   #11
dawgdog
Colonel
 
dawgdog's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Porsche GT3RS
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Seattle, Wa.

Posts: 2,168
iTrader: (0)

I have a good relationship with my service advisor and the dealership in general. The last thing they want to do is get nitpicky about problems that do not yet exist. My car has lowering springs and spacers on my rear wheels and I can almost guarantee you noone is noting this on my chart. Certainly not my service advisor. What they want is a good report on the service experience and repeat sales!
__________________
2015 f80 M3, 2010 GR3RS
dawgdog is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-08-2009, 08:55 PM   #12
monk
Second Lieutenant
 
monk's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 M3 Space Gray Coupe 6M
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA

Posts: 249
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgdog View Post
I have a good relationship with my service advisor and the dealership in general. The last thing they want to do is get nitpicky about problems that do not yet exist. My car has lowering springs and spacers on my rear wheels and I can almost guarantee you noone is noting this on my chart. Certainly not my service advisor. What they want is a good report on the service experience and repeat sales!
You have spacers on the rear only? So wider in the rear and not have any issue with the ride quality?
monk is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-09-2009, 01:03 PM   #13
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 11,101
iTrader: (17)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by monk View Post
You have spacers on the rear only? So wider in the rear and not have any issue with the ride quality?
How a properly sized and concentric spacer will have an issue with ride quality?
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:16 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST