BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion
 
Lux Angel Eyes
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-05-2009, 07:56 AM   #1
bolinp78
G35 convertee
bolinp78's Avatar
25
Rep
1,007
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335i (AW)
Join Date: May 2008
Location: .

iTrader: (1)

Economics class

An economics professor at a local college made a statement that he had never failed a single student before, but had once failed an entire class.

--------------------------------------------

That class had insisted that Obama's socialism worked and that no one would be poor and no one would be rich, a great equalizer.


The professor then said, "OK,
we will have an experiment in this class on Obama's plan".


All grades would be averaged and everyone would receive the same grade so no one would fail and no one would receive an A.


After the first test, the grades were averaged and everyone got a B.
The students who studied hard were upset and the students who studied little were happy.


As the second test rolled around, the students who studied little had studied even less and the ones who studied hard decided they wanted a free ride too so they studied little.
The second test average was a D!
No one was happy.


When the 3rd test rolled around, the average was an F.


The scores never increased as bickering,
blame and name-calling all resulted in hard feelings and no one would study for the benefit of anyone else.


All failed, to their great surprise, and the professor told them that socialism would also ultimately fail because when the reward is great, the effort to succeed is great but when government takes all the reward away, no one will try or want to succeed.


Could not be any simpler than that.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 08:42 AM   #2
742
Major
11
Rep
1,190
Posts

 
Drives: E90 325i; F10 528i; 2002tii
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

Date and place where this occurred?

Could you also provide a definition of “socialism”?

Here is a hard, non-30 second sound bite fact. We continuously balance the needs of society against individual interests. Obvious examples being Medicare, Social Security, compulsory military service during times of (real) war, workplace safety rules, vaccinations for children entering public school, (legitimate) eminent domain, anti-trust law and the zoning regulations that keep a brothel from opening next to your house.

Where this balance between unrestricted freedom and government (societal) control should be struck is a legitimate, on going and hopefully never ending public debate.

But participating in that debate is much harder than cutting and pasting some stupid e-mail.

Last edited by 742; 08-05-2009 at 09:13 AM.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 09:07 AM   #3
jaiman
Captain
9
Rep
657
Posts

 
Drives: very fast
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolinp78 View Post
An economics professor at a local college made a statement that he had never failed a single student before, but had once failed an entire class.

--------------------------------------------

That class had insisted that Obama's socialism worked and that no one would be poor and no one would be rich, a great equalizer.


The professor then said, "OK,
we will have an experiment in this class on Obama's plan".


All grades would be averaged and everyone would receive the same grade so no one would fail and no one would receive an A.


After the first test, the grades were averaged and everyone got a B.
The students who studied hard were upset and the students who studied little were happy.


As the second test rolled around, the students who studied little had studied even less and the ones who studied hard decided they wanted a free ride too so they studied little.
The second test average was a D!
No one was happy.


When the 3rd test rolled around, the average was an F.


The scores never increased as bickering,
blame and name-calling all resulted in hard feelings and no one would study for the benefit of anyone else.


All failed, to their great surprise, and the professor told them that socialism would also ultimately fail because when the reward is great, the effort to succeed is great but when government takes all the reward away, no one will try or want to succeed.


Could not be any simpler than that.
I'd call that communism, not socialism.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 10:11 AM   #4
Couch
Colonel
Couch's Avatar
40
Rep
2,903
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Houston

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to Couch
I've got this email.

While I think it's funny, names have been changed from the original email. I don't remember what politician/person it was referring to though. It's been around for a while.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 10:37 AM   #5
EDK99
Captain
United_States
15
Rep
935
Posts

 
Drives: 07 E85 M
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

The premise of the email is sound.

The more other provide for me the less desire I will have to provide for myself.

The more and more government grows and provides more and more services to people the less and less people are going to work for them. When that happens government will not be able to sustain itself. We are already seeing that revenues (taxes) are down 18% from last year. So here we have a president spending unprecedented amounts of money and revenues are dropping. At some point you will not be able to continue on that path.

What will get this economy going again is CUTTING welfare, CUTTING unemployment and other dependent services so the lazy people get off their asses and get a job or create a job. I know that is a little radical but there are many, many people that work the system instead of being a productive person in society they sit around waiting for their monthly handouts. Now if health care passes what incentives do these people have to get off their asses? Welfare, section 8 housing, food stamps, health care and so on. Sounds pretty good to me. Where do I sign up.
__________________
2007 e85
Imola Red | Black Leather | Carbon Leather Trim | Premium | Navigation | Heated Seats
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 03:00 PM   #6
TMNT
Captain
41
Rep
875
Posts

 
Drives: 330ci ZHP
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: VA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EK_335i View Post
The premise of the email is sound.
What will get this economy going again is CUTTING unemployment and other dependent services so the lazy people get off their asses and get a job or create a job.

Now if health care passes what incentives do these people have to get off their asses?
Please explain to me how someone "getting off their ass" gets them healthcare or more affordable healthcare?

Also please explain to me how cutting unemployment will get lazy people off their ass? Do you even know how someone qualifies for unemployment? Or just how much that person can get from unemployment monthly?

I have a feeling you don't...because if you did you wouldn't be making foolish comments like that.

EDIT:

As a matter of fact, the highest someone can recieve from unemployment in your state of Florida if they qualify is $275 a week. That equals up to $6.88 an hour and it doesn't matter if you lost your job making 6 figures or 30k, $275 is the max you can get. Most fast food workers get more than that. So I don't see where there is an incentive to mooch of the system.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 08:33 PM   #7
JME
Second Lieutenant
2
Rep
239
Posts

 
Drives:
Join Date: May 2008

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
http://www.snopes.com/college/exam/socialism.asp
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 08:15 PM   #8
fdsasdasdf
Captain
fdsasdasdf's Avatar
30
Rep
779
Posts

 
Drives: 330Ci ZHP 6sp
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC

iTrader: (0)

Here, let me put this in other terms:

This morning you were awoken by your alarm clock (powered by electricity generated by the public power monopoly regulated by the US Department of Energy). You then took a shower (in the clean water provided by the municipal water utility). After that, you turned on the TV (to one of the FCC regulated channels) to see what the national weather service (of the National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration) determined the weather was going to be like (using satellites designed, built, and launched by the National Aeronautics and Space Administration). You watched this while eating your breakfast of (US Department of Agriculture inspected) cereal and taking your blood pressure medication (which have been determined as safe by the Food and Drug Administration).

At the appropriate time (as regulated by the US congress and kept accurate by the National Institute of Standards and Technology and the US Naval Observatory), you get into your (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration approved) automobile and set out to work (on the roads build by the local, state, and federal departments of transportation), possibly stopping to purchase additional fuel (of a quality level determined by the Environmental Protection Agency), paying in cash (legal tender issued by the Federal Reserve Bank). On the way out the door you deposit any mail you have to be sent out (via the US Postal Service) and drop the kids off at (public) school.

After spending another day not being maimed or killed at work (thanks to the workplace regulations imposed by the Department of Labor and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration), enjoying another two meals (which again do not kill you because of the USDA), you drive your (NHTSA) car back home (on the DOT roads), to your house (which has not burned down in your absence because of the state and local building codes and fire marshal's inspection, and which has not been plundered of all it's valuables thanks to the local police department).

You then log on to the internet (which was developed by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Administration) and post on www.freerepublic.com, www.redstate.com and fox news forums about how SOCIALISM in medicine is BAD because the government can't do anything right.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 09:03 PM   #9
scollins
Bootleggin' 'n Gunrunnin'
scollins's Avatar
No_Country
35
Rep
2,345
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 e70 X5 35d
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Renton, WA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMNT View Post

EDIT:

As a matter of fact, the highest someone can recieve from unemployment in your state of Florida if they qualify is $275 a week. That equals up to $6.88 an hour and it doesn't matter if you lost your job making 6 figures or 30k, $275 is the max you can get. Most fast food workers get more than that. So I don't see where there is an incentive to mooch of the system.
Unemployment benefits vary by state. The maximum weekly benefit in WA is $560. To get that amount, you had to make a $15,000 quarterly average from your two highest quarters. $60,000 a year basically. It works out to roughly half your hourly rate if you are right at the minimum for the scale.

A $28,000 annual salary would net you the $273 benefit per week.


The trick is to find a balance between all of these "wants" for society (healthcare, retirement, job security, wages, living and working conditions, etc.) and how (and who) to pay for them. As societies develop and grow, many things move from the "wants" column to the "needs" column, and eventually to the "entitlement" column. What many today consider to be the basic necessities of life were unheard of even 100 years ago.

But that's "progress", isn't it? As long as someone else is footing the bill, we are all willing to stand up and DEMAND all kinds of things. There is a class war coming. I don't know when, but it is coming. I don't think it will manifest itself as the French, or even the Bolshevik, Revolution.
__________________
Scott
2010 E70 X5 35d
Alpine White on Black with Dark Bamboo trim
ZAP | ZCW | ZPP | ZPS | ZRC | ZTP | 322 | 328 | 330 | 386 | 4AZ | 4UB | 655 | 6FL | 6NF
2008 Ducati 1098S Red naturally....
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 09:19 PM   #10
maswastage
Resident Diesel Junkie
maswastage's Avatar
21
Rep
1,072
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 AW 335d
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
Here, let me put this in other terms:

This morning you were awoken by your alarm clock (powered by electricity generated by the public power monopoly regulated by the US Department of Energy). You then took a shower (in the clean water provided by the municipal water utility). After that, you turned on the TV (to one of the FCC regulated channels) to see what the national weather service (of the National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration) determined the weather was going to be like (using satellites designed, built, and launched by the National Aeronautics and Space Administration). You watched this while eating your breakfast of (US Department of Agriculture inspected) cereal and taking your blood pressure medication (which have been determined as safe by the Food and Drug Administration).

At the appropriate time (as regulated by the US congress and kept accurate by the National Institute of Standards and Technology and the US Naval Observatory), you get into your (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration approved) automobile and set out to work (on the roads build by the local, state, and federal departments of transportation), possibly stopping to purchase additional fuel (of a quality level determined by the Environmental Protection Agency), paying in cash (legal tender issued by the Federal Reserve Bank). On the way out the door you deposit any mail you have to be sent out (via the US Postal Service) and drop the kids off at (public) school.

After spending another day not being maimed or killed at work (thanks to the workplace regulations imposed by the Department of Labor and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration), enjoying another two meals (which again do not kill you because of the USDA), you drive your (NHTSA) car back home (on the DOT roads), to your house (which has not burned down in your absence because of the state and local building codes and fire marshal's inspection, and which has not been plundered of all it's valuables thanks to the local police department).

You then log on to the internet (which was developed by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Administration) and post on www.freerepublic.com, www.redstate.com and fox news forums about how SOCIALISM in medicine is BAD because the government can't do anything right.
Construction of roads and policing are subject to the free rider problem and are therefore must be operated by the government. The other agencies that you mention are responsible for regulating, not operating. The job of the government is to be the ref, not a player.

The difference in this case is that the government is trying to move from regulating health care, which is perfectly acceptable, to operating health care, which is not.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 10:38 PM   #11
Mr Tonka
Tonka.... Mr. Tonka
United_States
42
Rep
1,203
Posts

 
Drives: Exceptionally well :)
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tampa, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maswastage View Post
Construction of roads and policing are subject to the free rider problem and are therefore must be operated by the government. The other agencies that you mention are responsible for regulating, not operating. The job of the government is to be the ref, not a player.

The difference in this case is that the government is trying to move from regulating health care, which is perfectly acceptable, to operating health care, which is not
.
Exactly. Our government was created to provide an environment in which the people are free to pursue happiness. (happiness = basic needs to great wealth) Our government was never intended to PROVIDE happiness.
__________________
-Joe


"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2009, 10:59 PM   #12
shpirate87
Captain
12
Rep
706
Posts

 
Drives: 335ix
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
Here, let me put this in other terms:

This morning you were awoken by your alarm clock (powered by electricity generated by the public power monopoly regulated by the US Department of Energy). You then took a shower (in the clean water provided by the municipal water utility). After that, you turned on the TV (to one of the FCC regulated channels) to see what the national weather service (of the National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration) determined the weather was going to be like (using satellites designed, built, and launched by the National Aeronautics and Space Administration). You watched this while eating your breakfast of (US Department of Agriculture inspected) cereal and taking your blood pressure medication (which have been determined as safe by the Food and Drug Administration).

At the appropriate time (as regulated by the US congress and kept accurate by the National Institute of Standards and Technology and the US Naval Observatory), you get into your (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration approved) automobile and set out to work (on the roads build by the local, state, and federal departments of transportation), possibly stopping to purchase additional fuel (of a quality level determined by the Environmental Protection Agency), paying in cash (legal tender issued by the Federal Reserve Bank). On the way out the door you deposit any mail you have to be sent out (via the US Postal Service) and drop the kids off at (public) school.

After spending another day not being maimed or killed at work (thanks to the workplace regulations imposed by the Department of Labor and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration), enjoying another two meals (which again do not kill you because of the USDA), you drive your (NHTSA) car back home (on the DOT roads), to your house (which has not burned down in your absence because of the state and local building codes and fire marshal's inspection, and which has not been plundered of all it's valuables thanks to the local police department).

You then log on to the internet (which was developed by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Administration) and post on www.freerepublic.com, www.redstate.com and fox news forums about how SOCIALISM in medicine is BAD because the government can't do anything right.
Let's see...

The US Dept of Energy did not exist until 1977. How did anyone wake up before then?

My water comes from a private water company actually owned by a French based concern.

My weather report comes from a non-broadcast station not subject to FCC licensing.

I am certain that the private companies that provide me the food I buy have no interest in killing me with their product. Neither does the automobile company I got my car from. The company I work for has a vested interest in my safety regardless of any governmental interference. I attend a private school and UPS and FEDEX are perfectly capable of delivering my letters and packages.

I just love it when people create strawmen. No one denies the need for a certain level of government. Limited government does not mean no government. Two hundred and twenty some odd years ago some men got together and proposed a plan for how much government power should be concentrated at the national level in this country. They laid out specific and enumerated powers for this government and the states that sent them to work this out accepted their plan. Arguing that we have roads, schools, police and fire departments or even an army or a federal court system does not translate to an acknowledgment that government , specifically the federal government, can and should do anything and everything.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 09:40 AM   #13
jaiman
Captain
9
Rep
657
Posts

 
Drives: very fast
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpirate87 View Post
Let's see...

I am certain that the private companies that provide me the food I buy have no interest in killing me with their product. Neither does the automobile company I got my car from.
Are you really that naive? Read a book call "Unsafe at Any Speed".
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 09:50 AM   #14
MrRoboto
Colonel
Canada
53
Rep
2,714
Posts

 
Drives: VO 1M
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolinp78 View Post
An economics professor at a local college made a statement that he had never failed a single student before, but had once failed an entire class.

--------------------------------------------

That class had insisted that Obama's socialism worked and that no one would be poor and no one would be rich, a great equalizer.


The professor then said, "OK,
we will have an experiment in this class on Obama's plan".


All grades would be averaged and everyone would receive the same grade so no one would fail and no one would receive an A.


After the first test, the grades were averaged and everyone got a B.
The students who studied hard were upset and the students who studied little were happy.


As the second test rolled around, the students who studied little had studied even less and the ones who studied hard decided they wanted a free ride too so they studied little.
The second test average was a D!
No one was happy.


When the 3rd test rolled around, the average was an F.


The scores never increased as bickering,
blame and name-calling all resulted in hard feelings and no one would study for the benefit of anyone else.


All failed, to their great surprise, and the professor told them that socialism would also ultimately fail because when the reward is great, the effort to succeed is great but when government takes all the reward away, no one will try or want to succeed.


Could not be any simpler than that.

That is the basis of trade unions and the US has a ton of them.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 11:29 AM   #15
Negotiator
Lieutenant
Negotiator's Avatar
Ukraine
9
Rep
539
Posts

 
Drives: 07 GTI
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Fairfax, VA

iTrader: (0)

This has very little to do with socialism, and almost nothing to do with communism (even though this is what is being described here). This whole story is stupid, it describes intangibles to describe economic problems of limited resources.

The demonizing of socialism is becoming very McCarthian these days. Kind of like how capitalism was presented in USSR's education system. Congratulations fuckheads, you are following in the footsteps of the most ideologicaly opressive government of all time.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 12:09 PM   #16
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel
xbook's Avatar
Zimbabwe
40
Rep
1,538
Posts

 
Drives: '14 EBII M235i & '06 R53 GP
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Northridge, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E82  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negotiator View Post
This has very little to do with socialism, and almost nothing to do with communism (even though this is what is being described here). This whole story is stupid, it describes intangibles to describe economic problems of limited resources.

The demonizing of socialism is becoming very McCarthian these days. Kind of like how capitalism was presented in USSR's education system. Congratulations fuckheads, you are following in the footsteps of the most ideologicaly opressive government of all time.
Yeah bu...bu...bu...bu...bu...Obama's destroying the nation and taking away my freedoms ... Just look!!!! Oh sorry, I can't actually TELL you which freedoms he is taking, but DAMNIT HE'S TAKIN' 'EM!!!!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 01:41 PM   #17
shpirate87
Captain
12
Rep
706
Posts

 
Drives: 335ix
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiman View Post
Are you really that naive? Read a book call "Unsafe at Any Speed".
You are unaware that Ralph Nader is a fraud and there was nothing inherently unsafe about the Corvair but you think I'm naive?

Look at what happened to Audi in the 80's when their cars were allegedly accelerating unintentionally, one story on 60 Minutes & the company was nearly forced out of the US market. No car company wants to be known to kill their customers, it makes selling them cars in the future very difficult.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 01:48 PM   #18
jaiman
Captain
9
Rep
657
Posts

 
Drives: very fast
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpirate87 View Post
You are unaware that Ralph Nader is a fraud and there was nothing inherently unsafe about the Corvair but you think I'm naive?

Look at what happened to Audi in the 80's when their cars were allegedly accelerating unintentionally, one story on 60 Minutes & the company was nearly forced out of the US market. No car company wants to be known to kill their customers, it makes selling them cars in the future very difficult.
Yeah, I'll wait till you're out of highshool and have a clue about the real world before debating you.

Edit: Actually that's a bit harsh. But believing that profit motive is enough to keep companies in line is naive. I threw out the Corvair because it was the second example that came to mind. The first was the Maple Leaf Foods listeriosis outbreak last year (and being a Canadian story, I wouldn't expect many here to have followed it). To your way of thinking, that never should have happened because the company's desire to maintain its profits should have ensure that no tainted meat ever left one of their plants. Obviously that wasn't the case.

How about the industrial revolution? The profit motives of companies certainly didn't provide safe working environments then, did they?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 02:15 PM   #19
shpirate87
Captain
12
Rep
706
Posts

 
Drives: 335ix
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiman View Post
Yeah, I'll wait till you're out of highshool and have a clue about the real world before debating you.

Edit: Actually that's a bit harsh. But believing that profit motive is enough to keep companies in line is naive. I threw out the Corvair because it was the second example that came to mind. The first was the Maple Leaf Foods listeriosis outbreak last year (and being a Canadian story, I wouldn't expect many here to have followed it). To your way of thinking, that never should have happened because the company's desire to maintain its profits should have ensure that no tainted meat ever left one of their plants. Obviously that wasn't the case.

How about the industrial revolution? The profit motives of companies certainly didn't provide safe working environments then, did they?
But by your way of thinking it should not have happened either. I am sure Her Majesty's Canadian food inspectors are top notch and yet tainted meat made it out to the marketplace. Mistakes happen, some people are evil, and gov't can do little about either. Ask the CEO of any company what scares him more, the goverment inspector or his company being linked to deaths. You really need to grow up & stop living in the fantasy world where gov't is the solution to all problems.

Do you really think it was gov't that brought about improved workplace safety?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 03:20 PM   #20
jaiman
Captain
9
Rep
657
Posts

 
Drives: very fast
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpirate87 View Post
But by your way of thinking it should not have happened either. I am sure Her Majesty's Canadian food inspectors are top notch and yet tainted meat made it out to the marketplace. Mistakes happen, some people are evil, and gov't can do little about either. Ask the CEO of any company what scares him more, the goverment inspector or his company being linked to deaths. You really need to grow up & stop living in the fantasy world where gov't is the solution to all problems.

Do you really think it was gov't that brought about improved workplace safety?
Yes some people are evil, and that's why you can't rely on them to police themselves. That doesn't mean the government has to review everything, but there is definitely a role for a watch dog. The idea is to prevent deaths, rather than punish companies for them after the fact. But I'm done. Can't be bothered to argue with a high school kid who thinks he knows how the real world works.

And do you think it was companies who reformed working conditions of their own volition?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 05:20 PM   #21
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel
xbook's Avatar
Zimbabwe
40
Rep
1,538
Posts

 
Drives: '14 EBII M235i & '06 R53 GP
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Northridge, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E82  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiman View Post
Are you really that naive? Read a book call "Unsafe at Any Speed".
Lemme jump into my Pinto and drive down to the library to grab that book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpirate87 View Post
You are unaware that Ralph Nader is a fraud and there was nothing inherently unsafe about the Corvair but you think I'm naive?

Look at what happened to Audi in the 80's when their cars were allegedly accelerating unintentionally, one story on 60 Minutes & the company was nearly forced out of the US market. No car company wants to be known to kill their customers, it makes selling them cars in the future very difficult.
Do you really think companies have your best interest at heart? If that's the case then I have a bridge in brooklyn I want to sell you.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 06:21 PM   #22
shpirate87
Captain
12
Rep
706
Posts

 
Drives: 335ix
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiman View Post
Yes some people are evil, and that's why you can't rely on them to police themselves. That doesn't mean the government has to review everything, but there is definitely a role for a watch dog. The idea is to prevent deaths, rather than punish companies for them after the fact. But I'm done. Can't be bothered to argue with a high school kid who thinks he knows how the real world works.

And do you think it was companies who reformed working conditions of their own volition?
Some people are evil and the marketplace is a much better deterrent than any government agency.

In the contest of governments vs businesses, tell me which has been responsible for more deaths and misery? Which has created more prosperity?

Your naive faith in the power of government would be funny were it not so sad.

Do yourself a favor, take a look at the industrial accident rates before government involvement and those after. The rate of decline was generally greater (industry dependent) before than it was after.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:29 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST