BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
 
Strasse Wheels
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-30-2009, 09:07 PM   #1
Gearhead999s
Major General
 
Gearhead999s's Avatar
 
Drives: F25 2.8d(wifes)F82 M4
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto

Posts: 6,781
iTrader: (0)

Another Interesting Video from Lime Rock

I would run in a tight pack to listen to this

[u2b]object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cpQ-I_h2qKc&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cpQ-I_h2qKc&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/u2b]
Gearhead999s is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2009, 01:28 AM   #2
JAJ
Captain
 
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC

Posts: 927
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
I would run in a tight pack to listen to this
Did that recently with a F430 Scuderia Spider 16M. No contest. I just slid aside so I could listen as he went by.

I've never seen a car that could brake and rotate like that one. Stunning to watch.
JAJ is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2009, 03:14 AM   #3
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

Great sound! Those guys are not driving fast; they seem to be turning 1:05-1:06 laps in those cars. The Ferraris should be able to do consistent 1 minute laps if an E92 M3 can do consistent 1:03-1:04 laps. The black car missed several apexes by 1-2 feet, and looks bad through the esses...
__________________
lucid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2009, 05:08 AM   #4
Gearhead999s
Major General
 
Gearhead999s's Avatar
 
Drives: F25 2.8d(wifes)F82 M4
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto

Posts: 6,781
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Great sound! Those guys are not driving fast; they seem to be turning 1:05-1:06 laps in those cars. The Ferraris should be able to do consistent 1 minute laps if an E92 M3 can do consistent 1:03-1:04 laps. The black car missed several apexes by 1-2 feet, and looks bad through the essex...
Never said anything about the speedThe sound!is everything!

A buddy has a 360cs with a quite loud exhaust and everytime he comes over we can hear him get off the freeway 3 kms away.Just awesome!
Gearhead999s is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2009, 08:19 AM   #5
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

Fair enough. My not driving fast comment was a response to the "driving in a tight pack" phrase; meaning, this doesn't seem risky the way the other driving in a pack vid you posted does.

Yes, the sound is everything. That must be why a cop yelled at me across the street the other day to "slow down" while writing someone a ticket when I was doing 25 in a 35 zone.

I should have yelled back, "It's not a Ferrari, but it's still a German V8!"
__________________
lucid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2009, 09:01 AM   #6
Gearhead999s
Major General
 
Gearhead999s's Avatar
 
Drives: F25 2.8d(wifes)F82 M4
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto

Posts: 6,781
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Fair enough. My not driving fast comment was a response to the "driving in a tight pack" phrase; meaning, this doesn't seem risky the way the other driving in a pack vid you posted does.

Yes, the sound is everything. That must be why a cop yelled at me across the street the other day to "slow down" while writing someone a ticket when I was doing 25 in a 35 zone.

I should have yelled back, "It's not a Ferrari, but it's still a German V8!"
Yes at least the driving respect is there'

I have been yelled at many times when I am on my Duc!Big twins with 13 to 1 compression are great at setting off car alarms when downtown
Gearhead999s is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2009, 09:07 AM   #7
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

But were you yelled at for making noise or going fast?
__________________
lucid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2009, 09:23 AM   #8
Gearhead999s
Major General
 
Gearhead999s's Avatar
 
Drives: F25 2.8d(wifes)F82 M4
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto

Posts: 6,781
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
But were you yelled at for making noise or going fast?
I was going slow,but yelled at for going fast because of the noise.The funny thing is that I have been noise tested at Calabogie and have tested quieter by about 4db than a stock one.The dry open clutch & 1800 rpm very cammy idle contribute to the general din when sitting at lights,that makes it pretty hard to be unnoticed.
Gearhead999s is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2009, 10:21 AM   #9
dcstep
Brigadier General
 
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

Posts: 4,950
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Great sound! Those guys are not driving fast; they seem to be turning 1:05-1:06 laps in those cars. The Ferraris should be able to do consistent 1 minute laps if an E92 M3 can do consistent 1:03-1:04 laps. The black car missed several apexes by 1-2 feet, and looks bad through the essex...

The drivers may not be great, but those Ferraris sure know how to downshift themselves. What a great sound!! You hardly hear the 'vette.

It really reminds me of the P1 prototypes in 1967 at Daytona 24-hours, with Pedro Rodriquez (RIP) driving. Also, the GTOs had much the same sound. Even in my sleep I new how the Ferraris and Alfas (Alfa had some hot prototypes that year) were doing against the Fords, Porsches and Chaparrals. Every make had a really unique sound, but the Ferraris were IT. I remember Richey Ginther had a GTB parked in the infield and he and Dan Gurney came out to look at it and the other Ferraris in the infield. You'd never know that they were in the middle or a race, except they had their Nomex on. (Those were the early years of Nomex).

Dave
__________________
dcstep is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2009, 10:39 AM   #10
Gearhead999s
Major General
 
Gearhead999s's Avatar
 
Drives: F25 2.8d(wifes)F82 M4
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto

Posts: 6,781
iTrader: (0)

BRM V16 f1 car from the early 50's.1.5 litres 13000 rpm.Nick Mason owns this car now.

incar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R811n...eature=related

outside

http://gpl.krej.cz/mp3/BRM%20-%20push%20start.mp3

http://gpl.krej.cz/mp3/BRM%20-%20return%20to%20pits.mp3
Gearhead999s is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2009, 11:01 AM   #11
Gearhead999s
Major General
 
Gearhead999s's Avatar
 
Drives: F25 2.8d(wifes)F82 M4
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto

Posts: 6,781
iTrader: (0)

My personal favorite was the the Matra v12.I was at Mosport for the GP in 71 and on race day in dawned with rain & heavy fog.The organizers decided to send the cars out the of pits one at a time to survey the situation.After about 4 or 5 cars circulated for a couple of laps each the Matra came out.Louder than anything else and so much higher pitched and could be heard all the way around the track.There was a black Lab that was near us and he howled the whole time the car was in earshot.It was unreal and I will never forget that moment.That was the 2 pipe car,the 4 pipe car never sounded as good.

http://www.f1-fansite.com/sound/MatraV12.mp3

Gearhead999s is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2009, 11:28 AM   #12
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
The drivers may not be great, but those Ferraris sure know how to downshift themselves. What a great sound!! You hardly hear the 'vette.
Yeah. You must hear F1 cars downshifting at the end of a main straight if you haven't already. There is absolutely no way to describe the sensation, so I won't even attempt it.

Vette's with some exhaust work also sound good during downshifts. We just can't hear this guy's car because the camera is in it and picking up more of what is up front.
__________________
lucid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2009, 11:46 AM   #13
dcstep
Brigadier General
 
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

Posts: 4,950
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
BRM V16 f1 car from the early 50's.1.5 litres 13000 rpm.Nick Mason owns this car now.
Great find. Actually it's from the 1960s when Nick was starting his "career."

Dave
__________________
dcstep is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2009, 11:52 AM   #14
Gearhead999s
Major General
 
Gearhead999s's Avatar
 
Drives: F25 2.8d(wifes)F82 M4
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto

Posts: 6,781
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Great find. Actually it's from the 1960s when Nick was starting his "career."

Dave

Nope 1953

http://f1blog.org/2006/04/24/the-swe...-of-a-brm-v16/
Gearhead999s is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2009, 12:08 PM   #15
dcstep
Brigadier General
 
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

Posts: 4,950
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
Hah, we're both right.

Here's the one that I remember:
1967 BRM F1

This video mixes the 1967 car with the 1950s engine, BUT there was a 1967 H-16; however, as I recall, it mostly blew up.


Dave
dcstep is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2009, 12:43 PM   #16
Gearhead999s
Major General
 
Gearhead999s's Avatar
 
Drives: F25 2.8d(wifes)F82 M4
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto

Posts: 6,781
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Hah, we're both right.

Here's the one that I remember:
1967 BRM F1

This video mixes the 1967 car with the 1950s engine, BUT there was a 1967 H-16; however, as I recall, it mostly blew up.


Dave
They both blew up a lot
Gearhead999s is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-31-2009, 12:50 PM   #17
Gearhead999s
Major General
 
Gearhead999s's Avatar
 
Drives: F25 2.8d(wifes)F82 M4
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto

Posts: 6,781
iTrader: (0)

More on the BRM V16 here.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/2007/0...prix-racer.htm
Gearhead999s is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-01-2009, 07:22 AM   #18
urbo73
Captain
 
Drives: cars
Join Date: May 2006
Location: USA

Posts: 652
iTrader: (0)

These guys should spend some money on more "seat time"....Pretty embarrassing if you ask me given the cars they are driving...It's a given they sound great, but it's sad to see these cars so badly/under used. I saw a guy in an Enzo in Rome, drving around 30km/hr. You could hear the car from a distance. When I looked, I just laughed..
urbo73 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-01-2009, 08:48 AM   #19
dcstep
Brigadier General
 
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

Posts: 4,950
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbo73 View Post
These guys should spend some money on more "seat time"....Pretty embarrassing if you ask me given the cars they are driving...It's a given they sound great, but it's sad to see these cars so badly/under used. I saw a guy in an Enzo in Rome, drving around 30km/hr. You could hear the car from a distance. When I looked, I just laughed..
Oh, come on, what's embarrassing about getting some seat time? At least they're using the cars "well." So what if some of us can out drive them in a "lesser" car, at least they're trying to learn.

Go to any BMW or even Mustang event and there'll be guys puttering around at 80%. That's fine and inevitable. Everyone enjoys their cars differently. Driving an Enzo 30kph could be "at the limit" at times.

Dave
__________________
dcstep is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-01-2009, 10:44 AM   #20
urbo73
Captain
 
Drives: cars
Join Date: May 2006
Location: USA

Posts: 652
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Oh, come on, what's embarrassing about getting some seat time? At least they're using the cars "well." So what if some of us can out drive them in a "lesser" car, at least they're trying to learn.

Go to any BMW or even Mustang event and there'll be guys puttering around at 80%. That's fine and inevitable. Everyone enjoys their cars differently. Driving an Enzo 30kph could be "at the limit" at times.

Dave
I meant they should get some proper seat time learning to drive better, with proper instruction. Otherwise, they can potentially wreck a nice car, or never use it close to its potential. I realize everyone enjoys their cars differently, and frankly I don't care how people spend their own money, but since these guys are at the track, I imagine more seat time is not a bad thing. Nothing wrong with puttering around, but plenty wrong with bad driving at any speed. Just a pet peeve of mine I suppose. I never said anything about their speed - just bad driving.

The Enzo at 30km/hr was just a guy revving his engines on some street in Rome. Whatever floats your boat - it was just funny.
urbo73 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-01-2009, 11:32 AM   #21
STALKER
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, ON

Posts: 3,651
iTrader: (5)

Nice find.
__________________

2008 AW/FR E90 M3-SOLD
2013 991 C4S-SOLD
2010 GT3
STALKER is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-01-2009, 12:34 PM   #22
dcstep
Brigadier General
 
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

Posts: 4,950
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbo73 View Post
I meant they should get some proper seat time learning to drive better, with proper instruction. Otherwise, they can potentially wreck a nice car, or never use it close to its potential. I realize everyone enjoys their cars differently, and frankly I don't care how people spend their own money, but since these guys are at the track, I imagine more seat time is not a bad thing. Nothing wrong with puttering around, but plenty wrong with bad driving at any speed. Just a pet peeve of mine I suppose. I never said anything about their speed - just bad driving.

The Enzo at 30km/hr was just a guy revving his engines on some street in Rome. Whatever floats your boat - it was just funny.
You seem resentful. Why not live and let live?

I've been going to tracks for 40-plus years and there have always been cruisers and racers. Nothing's changed. I used to think the non-racers were posers, but I've learned that some people just enjoy owning those things and being able to say they took it to the track. At the other end of the scale are the same kinds of people with smaller bank accounts puttering around in TR4s. Track driving is a "social thing" for many.

As a "racer, the only thing I resent is when they don't know how to stay out of the way (unfortunately way too common). BTW, that's one more reason to go to BMW's Advanced M-School. You've got the whole track to share amongst just 15 guys/gals and the faster groups blow by the slower groups almost totally unimpeded. The track time with BMW is "high quality."

Dave
__________________
dcstep is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:38 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST