BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

07-28-2009, 09:27 PM   #1
tadow213m
Private
United_States
Rep

Drives: e92 M3

Fan Wont Turn Off

A few months ago I took my car into my local dealership because I kept getting the following errors: Transmission malfunction, Transmission Temperature, Transmission overheating. The dealer said that they were not able to duplicate the problem but supposedly updated some software which they claimed fixed the problem. So today i go to start my car and i get the same errors, except this time the car wont allow me to get into reverse but repeats the same issue that i had previously which only allows me to use 2nd, 4th, and 6th gear. My idrive stated: "Drive moderately, limited gears available." To top things off, i finally make it home and park but as i get out of my car i hear a fan noise. My car is turned off, but my fan wont stop, it just keeps going. Anyone else experience this?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2009, 11:30 PM   #2
Finnegan
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Sapphire Black/Black Z4Mc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadow213m View Post
To top things off, i finally make it home and park but as i get out of my car i hear a fan noise. My car is turned off, but my fan wont stop, it just keeps going. Anyone else experience this?
I can't help with the DCT issues but I've experienced the fan issue. The fan was running at pretty high speed and was going for 5 minutes plus. Weird. This was after I parked the car in the driveway after a long trip on a hot day running the A/C. I had parked in the driveway, turned the car off (no fan at this point) and 15 minutes later moved it in the garage. As soon as I stared the car the fan came on on "high" and continued after I turned off car in the garage. The temp gauge was only at 210 and I wasn't driving hard before this, but as I said it was a hot day (over 100) and I had the A/C on.

My solution, which doesn't really help you (with the DCT issues), was to drive the car around at low load at 50 MPH for a few miles with the A/C off and the heater on and top down. Came home, fan was off, and the issue hasn't resurfaced.

My guess is that there have to be some condition(s) the ECU is sensing that make the fan want to stay on. It didn't make sense to me given operating temps and load prior, but apparently it made sense to the ECU, and I apparently "cooled" the engine enough with the low load moderate and heater on driving to get below a threshold.

There are other more technical folks on this site who can probably offer a better explanation, diagnosis/treatment recommendation. Sorry to hear about your difficulties--it sounds frustrating to say the least.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2009, 11:59 PM   #3
MysticBlue
Major
Rep

Drives: '09 M3 DCT Coupe, ---'15 x50i

Whatever your DCT problems are, I don't think the fan running is part of that problem. In fact I don't think it's a problem at all. It is not unusual to have a fan running after engine shutdown in modern cars. Mine has done it a few times now that it is 100+ degrees. I wouldn't worry about it.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2009, 02:39 AM   #4
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep

Drives: M6

I had the fan issue happen once. It's not normal, the fan was still running 10 minutes after I shut the car off and I'm sure it would have kept going until the battery was dead. I stopped it by starting up the car and idling for a minute, then shutting off again. Knock on wood it only happened that one time.
      07-29-2009, 12:23 PM   #5
MJC///M3
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
I had the fan issue happen once. It's not normal, the fan was still running 10 minutes after I shut the car off and I'm sure it would have kept going until the battery was dead. I stopped it by starting up the car and idling for a minute, then shutting off again. Knock on wood it only happened that one time.
same thing happened to me.....the first night of driving it...put it in the garage and noticed that the fan was still running after the car was off; continued for about 5 minutes and then shut off. Have not had a re-occurrence of this issue, but it def was weird.
"You will get there, but it is up to you and you alone. It is what you are willing to do, and how you are willing to get there. You must be relentless, you must be tireless, you must pursue at all costs, so that you are ready, when the time is right." -Dad
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2009, 01:46 PM   #6
Finnegan
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I agree, it's not normal.

Like you, my fan was running on max for well over 5 minutes--more like 10--but I wasn't going to wait it out until I had a dead battery. Sure, modern cars will run the fan for a little while if the engine is hot--but 10 minutes on "max" isn't normal--at least in my book.

What's also weird is that on days I've pushed the car hard, and it's been just as hot, I've come home and parked and no the fan shuts off when the engine shuts off....In that case I'd expect the fan to run a couple of minutes.

ECU ->
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2009, 01:00 AM   #7
tadow213m
Private
United_States
Rep

Drives: e92 M3

Every time I take my car into the dealership they look at me crazy as if I shouldn't be driving a M3 "fast," as if this is what causes all my problems. I called in about my fan issue as well as the rest of the problems and have an appointment set but I have a feeling ill get the same old "what kind of driving conditions were you in when your car gave you these errors?" Then they will NOT be able to duplicate the problem and ill have my car back in a week =P (by the way, this is the 3rd time im taking the car in for these same issues that were supposedly fixed last time).
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2009, 05:07 AM   #8
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep

Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to MrHarris
The fan is only supposed to run after the car is shut off when it senses the engine bay is too hot, usually on a really hot day or if you've been running the car hard without any cooldown after.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2009, 06:56 AM   #9
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2008 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
The fan is only supposed to run after the car is shut off when it senses the engine bay is too hot, usually on a really hot day or if you've been running the car hard without any cooldown after.
My sense is this is the correct answer, and that it is normal only in the circumstance described above. I've seen it once or twice and in both cases I was running pretty high RPMs just before shutdown. Normally, I don't see it because I have a long cool down period when heading into my neighborhood.
      08-12-2009, 02:53 AM   #10
kooolaid
Private
Rep

Drives: e93 M3 Lexus GS300

I also had same thing happened once. My car has only 1500 miles and it happened at about 900 miles. It was weird, so I restarted and shut off the engine. And the fan shut off as well.

Can anyone relate this to the fire story of 335i vert and m3 vert?

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286866

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...highlight=fire
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 02:51 PM   #11
Finnegan
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooolaid View Post
I also had same thing happened once. My car has only 1500 miles and it happened at about 900 miles. It was weird, so I restarted and shut off the engine. And the fan shut off as well.

Can anyone relate this to the fire story of 335i vert and m3 vert?

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286866

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...highlight=fire
I think we're waiting for the OP to update the post. I'd sure like to know the cause.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2010, 09:24 AM   #12
MN M3
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2009 E92 M3

This happened to me yesterday. It wasn't hot outside (about 50 degrees), and I wasn't pushing the car hard at all, although I was idling in the driveway for about 10 minutes because I was on a call and wanted to complete it before shutting the car off. When I pulled into the garage and shut the car off, the fan kept running. I let about 5 minutes go by, and it still hadn't shut off, so I restarted the car and shut it off again. Boom - fan turned off.

Why is the car doing this? The temp gauge wasn't close to hot.
2009 E92 M3 - Jerez Black/Black w/ black carbon leather interior, 6 spd., Cold, Premium, Technology, 19" OZ Racing wheels (black), iPod/USB. Mods: aPe air filter, Borla exhaust, H&R sport springs, UUC Evo3 SS w/ DSSR, Power Pulley Kit, carbon kidney grills, Vorsteiner front air dam, carbon side gills, smoked side markers
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 07:23 PM   #13
Suprane
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 09 M3 E90

Exact same happened to me today. 88 degrees outside. Drove about 15 min with some spirited driving (nothing crazy, 85-90 on highway). Temp guage 210 upon arrival on driveway. Park..shut off and engine fan is blowing high for about 2 min.... then I got back in and restarted car..turned it off after a min and gone.

First time this has happened.

Sorry to revive an old thread but its pretty helpful knowing its happened to others..doesn't sound like a major issue but I certainly feel uncomfortable letting the fan go nonstop for more than 5 min. Curious to here what happened with OP's follow up.
      05-12-2010, 09:37 PM   #14
garek
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 09 E90 M3 DCT

The fan operation is normal. I've had several cars where the fan run after shutting the engine off. This generally only happens when it's warm outside, and the engine hasn't had enough idle time to cool. The fan will shut off after a certain period of time, usually several minutes.

As I live in AZ, this sort of thing happens all of the time, and it's nothing to worry about.
      05-12-2010, 11:39 PM   #15
08E92M3
Private
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadow213m View Post
A few months ago I took my car into my local dealership because I kept getting the following errors: Transmission malfunction, Transmission Temperature, Transmission overheating. The dealer said that they were not able to duplicate the problem but supposedly updated some software which they claimed fixed the problem. So today i go to start my car and i get the same errors, except this time the car wont allow me to get into reverse but repeats the same issue that i had previously which only allows me to use 2nd, 4th, and 6th gear. My idrive stated: "Drive moderately, limited gears available." To top things off, i finally make it home and park but as i get out of my car i hear a fan noise. My car is turned off, but my fan wont stop, it just keeps going. Anyone else experience this?
Transmission malfunction happened to me twice, each time I could not use 2nd, 4th & 6th (the exact opposite of yours). The second time I just parked & restarted the car, and went on my way. My dealer couldn't find any problem(s), of course. Also didn't notice that fan issues yet (keep my fingers crossed).
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 01:18 AM   #16
spyderco10
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: AW E92 M3 6MT

weird, this just happened to me last week, first time. i parked my car in the garage, and the fan went on after i shut off the car. it ran for at least 5 minutes. and when i started to get concerned, it shut off by itself.
- John 3:16
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 02:53 AM   #17
VanM3Lover
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 4.0 V8

Quote:
+1 on the fun problem. I have encountered it 2 or 3 times during my 1.5 years of ownership.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 03:00 AM   #18
VanM3Lover
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 4.0 V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by garek View Post
The fan operation is normal. I've had several cars where the fan run after shutting the engine off. This generally only happens when it's warm outside, and the engine hasn't had enough idle time to cool. The fan will shut off after a certain period of time, usually several minutes.

As I live in AZ, this sort of thing happens all of the time, and it's nothing to worry about.
It is not normal, I believe there is a glitch in the system. It generally happens when shutting the car off after driving, then start the car again and shut it off quickly, then fun starts up and will not turn off when you shut off the engine. I have encountered this when it is cold outside. The fun does shut itself off after sometime, the problem is it shouldn't be running in the first place given the outside and engine temperature.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 10:35 AM   #19
elp_jc
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: .

I've driven in 114º heat, and fan never stayed on. And believe me, the darn thing was HOT!If fan shuts off by itself before the DME kills the battery (about 5 minutes after shutting off the engine), it all should be well IMO, especially if it only does it once in a blue moon.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 12:35 PM   #20
besiktas
Ultimate Driver for the Ultimate Driving Machine
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW M3 E92

The fan issue is normal. The owners manual states that the fan can continue running upto 15 minutes after the engine is shut off to help cool it faster. it works with several increments depending on the need.

In order to avoid that, you can let the engine run at idle so that the coolant circulates as well, that will cool down the car faster and avoid your fan to run after you turn off the engine.

BMW M3 E92 - Silverstone II
BPM Sport Stage II Tune + Test Pipes, GTS DCT Tune
Appreciate 0