BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Lux Angel Eyes

07-19-2013, 08:24 PM   #1
Gop-Dogg
Enlisted Member

Drives: Space Grey `11 M3 ZCP

Question Anyone use one of these OBD-II dongles + Smart Phone app?

Anyone use one of these WiFi ELM327 OBD-II dongles with a Smartphone app (such as Rev or similar) to read/clear codes and monitor car stats? Since the Peak Research tool doesn't seem to have been updated for 2011+ cars, is this a worthwhile option?

The Rev app is kinda' pricey at $39.99, but combined with the $20 dongle, it's cheaper than the typical Peak Research tool. Anyone have experience with such a setup?
      07-19-2013, 11:01 PM   #2
kawasaki00
Major

Drives: E92

I have one, I use it with a app called torque. It works really well, you can monitor all the ecu channels check codes and erase codes. You can even track your progress as it integrates with Google maps.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004KL...AC_SX110_SY190

Get the pro version, I think it is under ten bucks. I have used it as n probably 20 cars with the guys at work.
Oh yea, get the blue tooth dongle it works better. They are about 12 bucks on amazon.
      07-19-2013, 11:36 PM   #3
Gop-Dogg
Enlisted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasaki00 View Post
Oh yea, get the blue tooth dongle it works better. They are about 12 bucks on amazon.
Interesting. Everything I've read says that the bluetooth units don't work well with the iPhone. Something to do with the bluetooth stack in iOS.
      07-20-2013, 06:02 AM   #4
kawasaki00
Major

Drives: E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gop-Dogg View Post
Interesting. Everything I've read says that the bluetooth units don't work well with the iPhone. Something to do with the bluetooth stack in iOS.
Ah, ok. I am on android may be different.
      07-20-2013, 08:49 AM   #5
KmndntKlink
Lieutenant

Drives: 2010 e92 m3

I'm pretty sure you can't do this with iphones. It's stupid awesome on android though, like kawasaki said, get torque on the playstore. best 5$ you'll ever spend. Then you just get the obd2 reader you mentioned on ebay for lik 15-20$ and you're off to the races.

I read something on engadget about some company making a proprietary system, but I think that was also android only and a total ripoff at >100$. torque is the way to go it lets you do crazy cool things, super fun on track days (dashcam w/overlay is pretty nifty)
      07-20-2013, 07:56 PM   #6
alee0729
Lieutenant

Drives: 2013 E92 M3, 2001 E46 330Ci

If you want a high end solution, BMWhat is about $60 and is optimized for BMW DTC fault codes.

http://www.ivini-apps.com/bmwhat-bmw-diagnosis.html

You need a WiFi OBD2 device for the iPhone and Bluetooth for Android.
      07-26-2013, 01:01 PM   #7
WarrantyTracker
Track? What Track? I was just riding along . . .

Drives: Alpine White E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alee0729 View Post
If you want a high end solution, BMWhat is about $60 and is optimized for BMW DTC fault codes.

http://www.ivini-apps.com/bmwhat-bmw-diagnosis.html

You need a WiFi OBD2 device for the iPhone and Bluetooth for Android.
Do you have this running with your E92 M3?

It's not on their list of compatible cars. I got their free version, which they offer so you can check compatibility with your particular model before you pay the full software fee. I cannot get mine to work, at least not with an Android and a BAFX (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Torque works. But I would really like to get the BMW-specific fault codes access.
WarrantyTracker is offline   United_States
      07-26-2013, 01:06 PM   #8
alee0729
Lieutenant

Have not had a chance to try yet... was going to give it a roll the next time I visit my car (it's a complex relationship living in NYC).
      07-26-2013, 01:58 PM   #9
WarrantyTracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by alee0729 View Post
Have not had a chance to try yet... was going to give it a roll the next time I visit my car (it's a complex relationship living in NYC).
I hear you. My car life improved much since I packed it to the suburbs. 4 bmws in the driveway at my fingertips . . . ahhhhhhh.
      07-26-2013, 02:25 PM   #10
KmndntKlink
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrantyTracker View Post
I hear you. My car life improved much since I packed it to the suburbs. 4 bmws in the driveway at my fingertips . . . ahhhhhhh.
Heh nice, living the dream.

I still recommend torque app on play store+ cheap dongle on ebay.

I just got mine in and have been using it for the past 2 days. LOADS of fun & can attest to its 100% effectiveness. No real time delay in data polling/reading. For <20$ its a must for any enthusiast. I really can't justify blowing money on a 60$+ option, but it's your choice.
      07-27-2013, 05:31 PM   #11
WarrantyTracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KmndntKlink View Post
Heh nice, living the dream.

I still recommend torque app on play store+ cheap dongle on ebay.

I just got mine in and have been using it for the past 2 days. LOADS of fun & can attest to its 100% effectiveness. No real time delay in data polling/reading. For <20$ its a must for any enthusiast. I really can't justify blowing money on a 60$+ option, but it's your choice.
I know, right? I got Torque Pro running and I'm saying to myself, smartphones are changing everything. I can't believe this is possible.

Sucks there's no oil pressure, but the program can only monitor the data the car monitors. I'll put in a gauge eventually. I wish somebody sold a pressure sensor with a Bluetooth transmitter so I could just pull it in to Torque.
      07-27-2013, 06:18 PM   #12
KmndntKlink
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrantyTracker View Post
I know, right? I got Torque Pro running and I'm saying to myself, smartphones are changing everything. I can't believe this is possible.

Sucks there's no oil pressure, but the program can only monitor the data the car monitors. I'll put in a gauge eventually. I wish somebody sold a pressure sensor with a Bluetooth transmitter so I could just pull it in to Torque.
Totally, I haven't gotten oil temperature & transmission temperature to show, but I've yet to try the 'second method' option. trans temp would be very cool on track days. oil pressure too, ah well for <20$ it's unbeatable value
      07-30-2013, 12:57 AM   #13
BlueBill

Drives: 320

I have BMWhat running on Android and it is just amazing.

Not only can I now get all the real BMW fault codes - and not just these few OBD ones.

I can even monitor my engines with more than 100 or so parameters with this app - just super fu**ing cool.

And finally coding is also possible and the developer told me he is working on many more codings - I even sent him a wish list which will be taken into consideration for the coidng upgrade

Never seen such a fast and friendly service in the app world before

Just perfect
BlueBill is offline   United_States
      07-30-2013, 05:04 AM   #14
alee0729
Lieutenant

Nice! How about some screenshots? What can you code today?
      07-30-2013, 11:07 AM   #15
WarrantyTracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBill View Post

Not only can I now get all the real BMW fault codes - and not just these few OBD ones.

I can even monitor my engines with more than 100 or so parameters with this app - just super fu**ing cool.

And finally coding is also possible and the developer told me he is working on many more codings - I even sent him a wish list which will be taken into consideration for the coidng upgrade

Just perfect
On an M3?
      07-30-2013, 07:19 PM   #16
Gop-Dogg
Enlisted Member

Quote:

Just perfect
Is this what you are referring to (iPhone version, since that's what I've got)?

07-30-2013, 07:30 PM   #17
whats77inaname
Banned

Drives: when at all possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasaki00 View Post
I have one, I use it with a app called torque. It works really well, you can monitor all the ecu channels check codes and erase codes. You can even track your progress as it integrates with Google maps.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004KL...AC_SX110_SY190

Get the pro version, I think it is under ten bucks. I have used it as n probably 20 cars with the guys at work.
+1, I have the same setup and use it in my truck, with intentions of using it via the Android setup I'm working on for the car. Dude also makes this plugin, which will be invaluable to a lot of people that track.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...prowl.recorder
whats77inaname is offline   United_States
      08-01-2013, 05:20 PM   #18
BlueBill

This is the Android version

it also includes the new codings (which is not shown in the video) and the engine parameters which is shown here starting around 1:50
      08-05-2013, 05:58 PM   #19
longuyen88
Private First Class

Drives: Non-BMW

Quote:

Just perfect
Did you successfully code anything? And do you have an E92/E93/E90? M3?
      08-05-2013, 09:51 PM   #20
Boostin FD
Major

Drives: F82 M4

Any more info on this BMWhat? Is this using the software similar to ncsexpert? Can you actually code with it like with ncs?
      08-06-2013, 06:37 PM   #21
BlueBill

Yes it can code - you can check whatever is in the app with the free lite version. Coding is still in testing phase it says in the app - so all the codings are still free for all who have the full version - and the developer is looking for feedback what other codings should be included in the app.

But you can even see what codings are available using the free lite version too.

Currently there are some light codings and the digital speedometer.

And the best it's really easy!
      08-07-2013, 09:53 AM   #22
larryn
Major General

Drives: '97 332ti, '10 E92 M3

Quote:
Yes it can code - you can check whatever is in the app with the free lite version. Coding is still in testing phase it says in the app - so all the codings are still free for all who have the full version - and the developer is looking for feedback what other codings should be included in the app.

But you can even see what codings are available using the free lite version too.

Currently there are some light codings and the digital speedometer.

And the best it's really easy!
Okay, I ordered the BT adapter and bought Torque Pro. We'll see what happens on Friday. I think the code reading is cool, though I have never had a CEL in this car. I'm really looking for the promise of changing car settings, with lights, windows, etc. The digital speedo is already a function of our OBC, so no need for that.
larryn is offline   United_States