BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....
 
GTB Performance
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-27-2009, 06:35 PM   #1
NoSoupForU
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 09 LCI 335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: OC

Posts: 361
iTrader: (3)

Choices: Used stock M3 or modded Evo X GSR?

I know this is an unlikely comparo but bear in mind that I do not care much about the looks of a car nor do I care for the prestige. What I care most about is performance and fun factor. I would track the car about 10 times a year and I would track the same car that I drive everyday. No separate set of track wheels. Has anyone else considered these 2 cars? Any thoughts?

Stock used 08 M3 coupe or sedan = $40k - $44k
2010 Evo X GSR base with mods = $28k + $9k in mods = $37k
Kw3 coilovers, Tune, TBE, UICP, Filter, Swaybars, 10.5 in wide RPF1 wheels, 275/35/18 Dunlop Star Specs, brak pads, fluid, SS lines, Labor for all installs.

M3 pros:

* Build quality
* More comfortable daily driver
* Better Top end power?
* Don't have to mod
* Resell value


M3 cons:

* Price
* Less traction than Evo
* Not as good a track car?
* Expensive maintenance after warranty
* People at work will think I'm showing off. Will drive a more expensive car than my boss
* Will be buying a used car (unless I can order a new stripped down E90 with no options for a good price)
* More likely to spin and perhaps hit a wall at track


Evo pros:

* AWD = better in rain, no churping tires around town when I want to drive hard
* Can get on the gas earlier in turns at the track
* Putting on 10.5 in wide wheels will give me crazy traction at the track
* Seats are better for the track
* Safer at track with AWD


Evo cons:

* Build quality?
* Only a 5 sp
* Weaker top end? (I care more about low end power btw)
* Cheap interior
* Resell value
NoSoupForU is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-27-2009, 06:43 PM   #2
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
 
Drives: .
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: .

Posts: 4,643
iTrader: (0)

Choose the M3. I had an Evo IX MR before, and got worn out. I know that the X is more liveable compared to the IX, but you'll grow tired of its economy roots.
Nawaaz is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-27-2009, 06:43 PM   #3
NoSoupForU
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 09 LCI 335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: OC

Posts: 361
iTrader: (3)

I know a lot of people will say "Drive both and then decide." Unfortunately I cannot drive a modded Evo. Even if I could, I wouldn't be able to test drive it on a track. I have already test driven both on the streets with a salesman riding shotgun. Of course the M3 would win hands down but the track experience is very important to me.
NoSoupForU is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-27-2009, 06:48 PM   #4
503Alex
Captain
 
503Alex's Avatar
 
Drives: S30
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: OR

Posts: 610
iTrader: (0)

Do you already have the LCI 335i?
__________________
503Alex is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-27-2009, 06:53 PM   #5
NoSoupForU
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 09 LCI 335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: OC

Posts: 361
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 503Alex View Post
Do you already have the LCI 335i?
Yea, but the wife drives that mainly. I need to get my daily driver/track car.
NoSoupForU is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-27-2009, 07:18 PM   #6
imballin2day
Banned
 
Drives: M3 Dct Coupe
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: LA

Posts: 571
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to imballin2day
Go for the M3 and don't look back. You won't regret it.
imballin2day is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-27-2009, 07:37 PM   #7
bobbyd1961
Banned
 
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: new jersey

Posts: 2,411
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSoupForU View Post
I know this is an unlikely comparo but bear in mind that I do not care much about the looks of a car nor do I care for the prestige. What I care most about is performance and fun factor. I would track the car about 10 times a year and I would track the same car that I drive everyday. No separate set of track wheels. Has anyone else considered these 2 cars? Any thoughts?

Stock used 08 M3 coupe or sedan = $40k - $44k
2010 Evo X GSR base with mods = $28k + $9k in mods = $37k
Kw3 coilovers, Tune, TBE, UICP, Filter, Swaybars, 10.5 in wide RPF1 wheels, 275/35/18 Dunlop Star Specs, brak pads, fluid, SS lines, Labor for all installs.

M3 pros:

* Build quality
* More comfortable daily driver
* Better Top end power?
* Don't have to mod
* Resell value


M3 cons:

* Price
* Less traction than Evo
* Not as good a track car?
* Expensive maintenance after warranty
* People at work will think I'm showing off. Will drive a more expensive car than my boss
* Will be buying a used car (unless I can order a new stripped down E90 with no options for a good price)
* More likely to spin and perhaps hit a wall at track


Evo pros:

* AWD = better in rain, no churping tires around town when I want to drive hard
* Can get on the gas earlier in turns at the track
* Putting on 10.5 in wide wheels will give me crazy traction at the track
* Seats are better for the track
* Safer at track with AWD


Evo cons:

* Build quality?
* Only a 5 sp
* Weaker top end? (I care more about low end power btw)
* Cheap interior
* Resell value
are you kidding me? what the heck is an evo some crappy mizubishi?! you dont own an M3 no one in their right mind would put them in the same universe
bobbyd1961 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-27-2009, 08:00 PM   #8
FStop7
I like cars
 
FStop7's Avatar
 
Drives: M6
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Newbury Park, CA

Posts: 5,059
iTrader: (3)

M3 every time
__________________
FStop7 is offline   Vatican City State
0
Reply With Quote
      07-27-2009, 09:23 PM   #9
ching
First Lieutenant
 
ching's Avatar
 
Drives: e90 m3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: toronto

Posts: 315
iTrader: (0)

m3
__________________
E90 BMW M3 interlagos blue / silver novillo - vrs type ii diffuser, ape performance air filter, ind ib reflectors, RAC RG63 gunmetal, 2 car seats and a baby on board sign
ching is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-28-2009, 10:02 AM   #10
NoSoupForU
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 09 LCI 335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: OC

Posts: 361
iTrader: (3)

I know a mitsu isnt in the same class but I wanted to compare track capabilities and reliability. I only commute 2 miles each day so the whole comfort and luxury thing doesn't really apply to me.
NoSoupForU is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-28-2009, 11:05 AM   #11
07-335XI
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: bcdefghijklmnopqrstuwxyz

Posts: 293
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyd1961 View Post
are you kidding me? what the heck is an evo some crappy mizubishi?! you dont own an M3 no one in their right mind would put them in the same universe
Fanboy
07-335XI is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-28-2009, 12:10 PM   #12
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
 
SUB-ZERO's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 997TT Arctic Silver
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: VA

Posts: 1,562
iTrader: (0)

Not a very good comparison...apples and oranges. The EVOs are cool cars and maybe as a track car but most of us are really pass that point in our age groups. I had a sweet 2003 WRX with a TurboXS stage 4 that could outperform my ///M but I would never dare compare them.

Other than performance, the ///M brings much more to the table. While $10k may bring the EVO up to par (maybe) with an ///M3 in the performance category, there are numerous other factors that an EVO will NEVER be capable of offering...no matter how much $$$$$ you drop in it.

What is the primary purpose of you purchasing a new ride? If it's just for fun on a budget, then I recommend the EVO. However, if you are looking for something special...the ///M3 is the way to go.

Go drive an ///M3 and then drive the EVO and I think your question will be resolved.

As a track car or DD...the EVO will be a great garage buddy to the ///M.


-SZ
SUB-ZERO is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-28-2009, 12:39 PM   #13
NoSoupForU
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 09 LCI 335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: OC

Posts: 361
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-ZERO View Post
Not a very good comparison...apples and oranges. The EVOs are cool cars and maybe as a track car but most of us are really pass that point in our age groups. I had a sweet 2003 WRX with a TurboXS stage 4 that could outperform my ///M but I would never dare compare them.

Other than performance, the ///M brings much more to the table. While $10k may bring the EVO up to par (maybe) with an ///M3 in the performance category, there are numerous other factors that an EVO will NEVER be capable of offering...no matter how much $$$$$ you drop in it.

What is the primary purpose of you purchasing a new ride? If it's just for fun on a budget, then I recommend the EVO. However, if you are looking for something special...the ///M3 is the way to go.

Go drive an ///M3 and then drive the EVO and I think your question will be resolved.

As a track car or DD...the EVO will be a great garage buddy to the ///M.


-SZ
Thanks. I have already driven both but since the Evo was stock, it was hard to get a feel for how it would feel when modded. Its also hard to drive as hard as I want to with the salesman there. Its a no brainer that the M3 is better car overall but since I only drive 5000 miles per year, i feel it might be a waste buying such a nice car. I mainly look forward to the track days I go to but then again I only go to about 10 a year. Hopefully I could find a good price on a used 08 M3 with little to no options but those are rare.
NoSoupForU is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-29-2009, 10:18 AM   #14
GnokGnik
Captain
 
Drives: E92 335i, 997 C2S
Join Date: May 2008
Location: SoCal

Posts: 936
iTrader: (0)

GTR
GnokGnik is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-30-2009, 02:06 PM   #15
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: Turbo Festiva
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal

Posts: 1,721
iTrader: (2)

You already have a 335I in the household. Go with the Evo
Honestly I need to experience an EVO/STI at least once in my lifetime. I don't plan on hanging on to one for a long time....a year or so and trade it in or sell it. The resale value is pretty high in Canada for those cars. I want to experience different type of cars in my life and I can't just stick to one brand.
__________________
Originally Posted by corneredbeast
An engine from a Z06 Corvette. A differential from a Vespa. Damn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
mtla4 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      07-30-2009, 02:11 PM   #16
Subw00er
Bates '08 Interlagos Launch
 
Subw00er's Avatar
 
Drives: 08e92M, 03e46M
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: NY

Posts: 1,202
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to Subw00er
M3 is in another league however you rationalize it IMO. evos and STis are boy racer cars and made like crap and the companies do not back them. BTW, I owned a '08 STi.
__________________
Custom Exhaust Project: Bates Valvetronic exhaust: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253661 -- Exhaust Mod pics in here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/40236795@N03/
DON'T BUY Race Ready Performance electronic cutout valves. Here's why: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...40#post9589740
Subw00er is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-03-2009, 07:44 PM   #17
Dr.G
Private First Class
 
Dr.G's Avatar
 
Drives: Not enough room!!!
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Las Vegas

Posts: 188
iTrader: (0)

m3... i know u care about torque... the flatness of the m3 torque curve makes it so easy to control at the limit. you will enjoy it more on the track and i truly believe it will make u a more capable driver that doesn't require the safety of AWD to feel confident to tail slide it without kissing a wall.
Another thing to mention. You might not drive more than 5k a year but having a more capable DD might spark you to take road trips on some mountain or valley near you. You will rack up miles on the m3 bc you will enjoy it off the track.

Why would u shut that door?

ps. bmw = punani magnet ;p
Dr.G is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-03-2009, 08:26 PM   #18
BRDHNTR
Ground Pilot
 
BRDHNTR's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 BMW M3
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Waverly, PA

Posts: 549
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2002 M3  [0.00]
2008 e92 M3  [0.00]
Sorry that I didn't read the prior comments, but here is what I have to say. Get the M3. I have an M3 and love it. I also have a buddy who went from an e46 M3 to an Evo X GSR, and he hated it (I wasn't a big fan either). The car feels too heavy for an Evo, but that's not the real problem. Here are the three biggest problems with the car in my opinion.
1. Small Gas tank = short range (you'll live at the gas station, M3 isnt' great but still better)
2. Shitty gas mileage (he got the same or worse stock as I get on my M3 because of the short 5th gear)
3. Turbo lag is ridiculous (for a car that costs that much, they should just use a bigger motor with less boost)
__________________
"The laws of physics cannot be repealed, even with DSC." - BMW Owner's Manual

BRDHNTR is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-03-2009, 08:34 PM   #19
bobbyd1961
Banned
 
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: new jersey

Posts: 2,411
iTrader: (0)

what is an EVO?
bobbyd1961 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-03-2009, 08:36 PM   #20
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
 
SUB-ZERO's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 997TT Arctic Silver
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: VA

Posts: 1,562
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnokGnik View Post
GTR
+1
SUB-ZERO is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-03-2009, 08:36 PM   #21
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
 
SUB-ZERO's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 997TT Arctic Silver
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: VA

Posts: 1,562
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyd1961 View Post
what is an EVO?
Mitsubishi Evolution (aka EVO)
SUB-ZERO is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-03-2009, 08:37 PM   #22
bobbyd1961
Banned
 
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: new jersey

Posts: 2,411
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSoupForU View Post
I know this is an unlikely comparo but bear in mind that I do not care much about the looks of a car nor do I care for the prestige. What I care most about is performance and fun factor. I would track the car about 10 times a year and I would track the same car that I drive everyday. No separate set of track wheels. Has anyone else considered these 2 cars? Any thoughts?

Stock used 08 M3 coupe or sedan = $40k - $44k
2010 Evo X GSR base with mods = $28k + $9k in mods = $37k
Kw3 coilovers, Tune, TBE, UICP, Filter, Swaybars, 10.5 in wide RPF1 wheels, 275/35/18 Dunlop Star Specs, brak pads, fluid, SS lines, Labor for all installs.

M3 pros:

* Build quality
* More comfortable daily driver
* Better Top end power?
* Don't have to mod
* Resell value


M3 cons:

* Price
* Less traction than Evo
* Not as good a track car?
* Expensive maintenance after warranty
* People at work will think I'm showing off. Will drive a more expensive car than my boss
* Will be buying a used car (unless I can order a new stripped down E90 with no options for a good price)
* More likely to spin and perhaps hit a wall at track


Evo pros:

* AWD = better in rain, no churping tires around town when I want to drive hard
* Can get on the gas earlier in turns at the track
* Putting on 10.5 in wide wheels will give me crazy traction at the track
* Seats are better for the track
* Safer at track with AWD


Evo cons:

* Build quality?
* Only a 5 sp
* Weaker top end? (I care more about low end power btw)
* Cheap interior
* Resell value
are you kidding me? EVO???? this means that you cant afford an M3 if you would consider a mitzubishi????or however you spell it. cause if money aint the issue you shouldnt ask such a question.
bobbyd1961 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:28 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST