BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest
 
VF-Engineering
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-02-2015, 05:25 PM   #1
tee.tran
Teehehehe.
tee.tran's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
307
Posts

Drives: ///M3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: TX.

iTrader: (0)

My first accident- need advice (Hou, Tx)

So I got rear ended May 6th on my way to work. We both pulled over and exchanged info. We didn't call the police, so there's no report. A few hours later my neck/shoulder and back started aching. So before heading to the doctor & chiropractor, I called State Farm (his insurance) to see if the man who hit me filed a claim. He didn't, so I went ahead and gave them all the info. The adjuster called me on May 8th, to inform me they've been trying to reach the man but no avail. I've been going to the chiropractor 3 times a week since the accident. It's almost been a month and I haven't heard from State Farm or the adjuster since. I did hire a personal injury lawyer. But I'm not sure if I should hire a different lawyer for damages done to my car, diminished value, etc? I've never been involved in an accident before, so I'm not sure what I should really do. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks. (:
__________________

I like puppies. Thanks jz for the sig, lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 06:01 PM   #2
rsr552
First Lieutenant
rsr552's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
320
Posts

Drives: e90 m3
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Texas

iTrader: (1)

^sorry to hear about your situation man.

I was T-boned in my then civic in 2010 and didnt suffer any injury (did get a burn rash from the side airbag...but didnt need medical attention)...

Anyways, that was my first accident, and wasn't sure how the lawyer thing worked...so I called one but they told me that the lawyers are just for medical compensation...if you dont require medical attention you do not need a lawyer.

Hope this helps man. :/ accidents suck hard. Good luck to you!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 06:33 PM   #3
loveskiing
First Lieutenant
United_States
43
Rep
320
Posts

Drives: 2011 M3 E90
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Portland, OR

iTrader: (0)

You've hired a personal injury lawyer and they will be the lead person to handle all of the issues from this accident. That includes damages to your car, damages to your physical body, and any pain and suffering from the accident. It would be helpful if you had a journal or written record of your pain level and experiences should this ever go to trial. You should not and I emphasize not be contacting the guy who hit you Insurance company. I'll repeat that you should not be contacting his insurance company because any statements you make to them can be admitted in court and it is their job to mitigate any payments to you. You should only be contacting your attorney and letting him or her handle all the particulars. Please make sure that you get full and complete medical treatment for all your issues. I've often seen in the months and years down the road where people experience long-term problems because they didn't get complete treatment at time of injury.
BTW, worst case scenario, if necessary you most likely have uninsured motorist coverage and medical payments from your own insurance company which should cover your expenses and then your insurance company will go after his insurance company.
I hope that helps
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 06:54 PM   #4
tee.tran
Teehehehe.
tee.tran's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
307
Posts

Drives: ///M3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: TX.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveskiing View Post
You've hired a personal injury lawyer and they will be the lead person to handle all of the issues from this accident. That includes damages to your car, damages to your physical body, and any pain and suffering from the accident. It would be helpful if you had a journal or written record of your pain level and experiences should this ever go to trial. You should not and I emphasize not be contacting the guy who hit you Insurance company. I'll repeat that you should not be contacting his insurance company because any statements you make to them can be admitted in court and it is their job to mitigate any payments to you. You should only be contacting your attorney and letting him or her handle all the particulars. Please make sure that you get full and complete medical treatment for all your issues. I've often seen in the months and years down the road where people experience long-term problems because they didn't get complete treatment at time of injury.
BTW, worst case scenario, if necessary you most likely have uninsured motorist coverage and medical payments from your own insurance company which should cover your expenses and then your insurance company will go after his insurance company.
I hope that helps
I only contacted his insurance company once to file the claim because the guy who hit me did not file a claim at all. I have not called his insurance, the adjuster, or the guy at fault since the accident/claim was filed. I did text my lawyer asking the status, since it's been about a month and I want my car fixed. I know my chiropractor has probably already dipped into my PIP coverage from my insurance company.


The damage doesn't look like much, but he hit me hard enough that it pushed me a few feet forward while my foot was on the brakes.


Last edited by tee.tran; 06-02-2015 at 07:27 PM.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 10:33 AM   #5
Franklin Joseph
Captain
12
Rep
761
Posts

Drives: X5 - MCS - M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (1)

sorry to hear that.

you might have to get down and dirty with them.

few years ago some kid backed into my car. His policy was with his mother. I filed a claim with my insurance and also contacted his insurance company.

Everytime i called to get a status update, the insurance company keeps saying they cannot contact the other party, left messages etc and never get a call back.

So i did some digging, got info on the kid, his mother and her job etc. Contacted her thru facebook telling her what her son did and why none of them are contacting the insurance company - basically delaying my repair. Told her if nothing is done i'm gonna contact her employer about it.

Voila, couple days later insurance company contacted me saying someone will look at the car and will cut a check soon.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 10:37 AM   #6
BimmerRookie
First Lieutenant
United_States
12
Rep
385
Posts

Drives: E93 M3
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (0)

Have you contacted the other party's insurance company yet? Maybe press your insurance company to take some action? It's their responsibility to work for you since you pay them for it
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 09:44 AM   #7
tee.tran
Teehehehe.
tee.tran's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
307
Posts

Drives: ///M3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: TX.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin Joseph View Post
sorry to hear that.

you might have to get down and dirty with them.

few years ago some kid backed into my car. His policy was with his mother. I filed a claim with my insurance and also contacted his insurance company.

Everytime i called to get a status update, the insurance company keeps saying they cannot contact the other party, left messages etc and never get a call back.

So i did some digging, got info on the kid, his mother and her job etc. Contacted her thru facebook telling her what her son did and why none of them are contacting the insurance company - basically delaying my repair. Told her if nothing is done i'm gonna contact her employer about it.

Voila, couple days later insurance company contacted me saying someone will look at the car and will cut a check soon.
His info that he wrote down and the info on his driver license didn't match, I'm assuming he just moved to Houston. So I wouldn't be able to dig for much. ):


Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRookie View Post
Have you contacted the other party's insurance company yet? Maybe press your insurance company to take some action? It's their responsibility to work for you since you pay them for it
I only contacted his insurance when I filed the claim. I then hired a lawyer after that. I never contacted my insurance about the accident. I didn't know that I had to contact my insurance as well. I've never been in any type of accident, so I really didn't know what to do.
__________________

I like puppies. Thanks jz for the sig, lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 09:48 AM   #8
BimmerRookie
First Lieutenant
United_States
12
Rep
385
Posts

Drives: E93 M3
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (0)

I've only been in one accident myself. But I called my insurance simply for advice, since it was my first accident as well. They suggested going through the at-fault's insurance and if there were any problems or hiccups, call my insurance back to deal with it.

Try calling your own for advice on how to proceed! I mean, you do pay them a ton of money, don't you?

GL
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 09:51 AM   #9
tee.tran
Teehehehe.
tee.tran's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
307
Posts

Drives: ///M3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: TX.

iTrader: (0)

(:
__________________

I like puppies. Thanks jz for the sig, lol.

Last edited by tee.tran; 06-11-2015 at 02:55 PM.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 09:55 AM   #10
tee.tran
Teehehehe.
tee.tran's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
307
Posts

Drives: ///M3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: TX.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRookie View Post
I've only been in one accident myself. But I called my insurance simply for advice, since it was my first accident as well. They suggested going through the at-fault's insurance and if there were any problems or hiccups, call my insurance back to deal with it.

Try calling your own for advice on how to proceed! I mean, you do pay them a ton of money, don't you?

GL
I pay about $180 a month. But I think it's cause I'm kinda young and a female, and because of my car? LOL. My insurance for my previous cars were NEVER this expensive.
__________________

I like puppies. Thanks jz for the sig, lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 02:44 PM   #11
whats77inaname
Native Texan
United_States
121
Rep
2,397
Posts

Drives: when at all possible
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tx

iTrader: (18)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tee.tran View Post
I pay about $180 a month. But I think it's cause I'm kinda young and a female, and because of my car? LOL. My insurance for my previous cars were NEVER this expensive.

Lol, I pay considerably more than that, although I have 2 vehicles. We have so many high end cars around here (for example, there's an Underground Racing LP-1200 in the parking garage as well as a Wraith) that I carry a *lot* more than the recommended liability, especially on the Property Damage portion.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 03:01 PM   #12
tee.tran
Teehehehe.
tee.tran's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
307
Posts

Drives: ///M3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: TX.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
Lol, I pay considerably more than that, although I have 2 vehicles. We have so many high end cars around here (for example, there's an Underground Racing LP-1200 in the parking garage as well as a Wraith) that I carry a *lot* more than the recommended liability, especially on the Property Damage portion.
If I had to list all the cars I've had and the rates I've paid. The M3 comes in second for most expensive. No clue why. LOL.
__________________

I like puppies. Thanks jz for the sig, lol.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:25 AM.




m3post
m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST