BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

BPM Sport

08-31-2006, 01:14 AM   #1
nightkhan
Private Woodman
United_States
Rep

Drives: 328i, JB, Space Rocket

The other side of China that we don't usually hear about

Even though China is advancing at a blinding speed and modernizing itself as a world power, there is still a lot of corruption that the world doesn't hear about:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...376215,00.html

an intro to how it began:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...186887,00.html
Current: E92 328i, Sports Package, 335i wheels, Power Seats, BMW Assist/Bluetooth, IPod/USB, heated seats, //M Short Shifter
Future Mods: 19" CSL's, KW V2, 15mm spacer, tints
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2006, 01:49 AM   #2
Victor.L3IchibanM3
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: '06 325i,'04 RX 330,'99Corolla

Send a message via AIM to Victor.L3IchibanM3 Send a message via Yahoo to Victor.L3IchibanM3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightkhan
Even though China is advancing at a blinding speed and modernizing itself as a world power, there is still a lot of corruption that the world doesn't hear about:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...376215,00.html

an intro to how it began:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...186887,00.html

What do you expect? Is a communist country which never release information to the people only kept as secret by the goverment.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2006, 11:18 AM   #3
tl_boy
Major
Rep

Drives: tl

there's a lot of junk in the trunk over there. my friends dad worked there for a few months. to get ANYTHING done, you need to bribe officials. like a lot of other developing countries no doubt. Also, a LOT of poverty, and lack of human rights, but the Chinese govt. tries to censor a lot of this stuff. So'll you'll see tons of pics on the bright lights of Shanghai, but won't see much on the average poor farmer or real china.

E90 Mods (work in progress): Euro Xenon Headlamps, 19" ASA AR-1's with Toyo T1R 235 fronts and 275 rears, Breyton style front spoiler, Breyton style rear spoiler, Huper Optik 40% Tint, TiAG with Black 'ette and Aluminum trim, Chrome grills, chrome exhaust, Hartge lowering springs, PMB Hyperwhites.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2006, 11:26 PM   #4
dr335is
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: Some Mazda junk...

First of all, China is not a Communist country...as we think of it. It is very open to the outside world and the businesses are private -- directly against the definition of a Communist Country.

What do you expect from the fastest developing country in (recent) history? Almost 2B people there, the Government is able to support about 20 cities, everything in between is outside of their domain.
I travel on business to China quite often (this year 6 times) and I travel to Shanghai, Beijing, Shenzhen, Guangzhou, Nanjing, Xian. But even when you drive from Shenzhen to Guangzhou (two-hour drive) you see the reality of China and the life between the big cities.
Actually, Shanghai is a miracle to me -- far ahead of NYC for example. It has between 24 and 28 million people with the surrounding areas. However, if you go about 8 miles outside from the heart of the city you notice the poverty and corruption... But that is very normal for the country of that size, rapid growth and amount of people they have...
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2006, 12:48 AM   #5
tl_boy
Major
Rep

Drives: tl

i don't think people specifically fault China (its govt.) for the poverty or corruption, as you and I mentioned, that is common in developing countries. However, the Chinese government is particularly bad in covering up a number of horrible things, including gross human rights violations, extremely poor working conditions, etc. Every month for the past several months I have read incidents of various chemical plan explosions, mine collapses, etc. where hundreds of people have lost their lives. That, plus the human rights violations (forced human testing, there was a post on this b4), territorial bullying of Taiwan and Tibet and oppression by the government don't reflect very well on the country. In the struggle to achieve development, developing nations seem to be in a position where they are attempting to balance between the easing of their environmental regulations and labor policies, but they should never lose sight of fundamental human rights, and I think this is where many feel China is lacking compared to other developing nations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i
First of all, China is not a Communist country...as we think of it. It is very open to the outside world and the businesses are private -- directly against the definition of a Communist Country.

What do you expect from the fastest developing country in (recent) history? Almost 2B people there, the Government is able to support about 20 cities, everything in between is outside of their domain.
I travel on business to China quite often (this year 6 times) and I travel to Shanghai, Beijing, Shenzhen, Guangzhou, Nanjing, Xian. But even when you drive from Shenzhen to Guangzhou (two-hour drive) you see the reality of China and the life between the big cities.
Actually, Shanghai is a miracle to me -- far ahead of NYC for example. It has between 24 and 28 million people with the surrounding areas. However, if you go about 8 miles outside from the heart of the city you notice the poverty and corruption... But that is very normal for the country of that size, rapid growth and amount of people they have...

E90 Mods (work in progress): Euro Xenon Headlamps, 19" ASA AR-1's with Toyo T1R 235 fronts and 275 rears, Breyton style front spoiler, Breyton style rear spoiler, Huper Optik 40% Tint, TiAG with Black 'ette and Aluminum trim, Chrome grills, chrome exhaust, Hartge lowering springs, PMB Hyperwhites.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2006, 07:35 AM   #6
dr335is
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: Some Mazda junk...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tl_boy
i don't think people specifically fault China (its govt.) for the poverty or corruption, as you and I mentioned, that is common in developing countries. However, the Chinese government is particularly bad in covering up a number of horrible things, including gross human rights violations, extremely poor working conditions, etc. Every month for the past several months I have read incidents of various chemical plan explosions, mine collapses, etc. where hundreds of people have lost their lives. That, plus the human rights violations (forced human testing, there was a post on this b4), territorial bullying of Taiwan and Tibet and oppression by the government don't reflect very well on the country. In the struggle to achieve development, developing nations seem to be in a position where they are attempting to balance between the easing of their environmental regulations and labor policies, but they should never lose sight of fundamental human rights, and I think this is where many feel China is lacking compared to other developing nations.
I agree, but again, very normal and common for the country in transition. They are the last gov't that will be able to manipulate the whole nation if the transition is successful.

As for the gov't censoring and not showing what they don't want you to see -- I believe our (US) gov't is the winner in that column.

However, there is nothing easier then to sell the story to the American population -- put it on Fox, CNN, NBC for 2 weeks straight and the majority will accept it -- Clinton did it with Kosovo, Bush has been doing it from the day 1 -- everything he did so far was done after the public was brainwashed first.
Appreciate 0