BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....
 
PYSPEED
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-07-2009, 02:02 PM   #1
dcgolfdr
Wheelsucker
 
dcgolfdr's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 and a truck
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Arlington, VA

Posts: 926
iTrader: (9)

Porsche

On my way back to the office drove by the Porsche dealer. I would have to say with the exception of the 911 that I wouldn't want any of the other models. I guess that you have to make lesser priced models but not a fan.
dcgolfdr is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-07-2009, 02:13 PM   #2
stickypaws
Dictator
 
stickypaws's Avatar
 
Drives: people crazy
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: where you want to be

Posts: 1,817
iTrader: (0)

As a long time owner of the marque and someone who prefers and knows the 911, the Cayman is an exceptionally well-balanced sports car and an absolute pleasure to drive.

The 911 has iconic status, but the Cayman is equally respected in the circle.
stickypaws is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-07-2009, 02:38 PM   #3
M3 Montreal
Colonel
 
Drives: 2012 M3 SG ,DCT & 2011 S4
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Montreal , Canada

Posts: 2,164
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickypaws View Post
As a long time owner of the marque and someone who prefers and knows the 911, the Cayman is an exceptionally well-balanced sports car and an absolute pleasure to drive.

The 911 has iconic status, but the Cayman is equally respected in the circle.

+1 to the NEW 09 Cayman S .

Not so much a fan of the pre 09.
__________________
2012 E92-M3 Space Grey on Fox Red, DCT

2011 B8 S4 S-Tronic , Black on magma red
M3 Montreal is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-07-2009, 05:30 PM   #4
Ogalthorpe
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 08 M3 coupe
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Coral Springs

Posts: 43
iTrader: (0)

I think many of the people that don't like like the cayman done because it looks too much like the boxster (doesn't get any respect). I did have a 997 TT Cab and I enjoy my M3 better. Blue Tooth, Ipod connect, ride adjustments, the M is amazing... If it where only faster (AA will make it happen) but its so driver friendly.
Ogalthorpe is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-07-2009, 11:33 PM   #5
elp_jc
Brigadier General
 
Drives: .
Join Date: May 2008
Location: .

Posts: 4,910
iTrader: (0)

The only Porsche I'd buy is the Cayman S, although don't really like the rear, but no car is perfect. The 911 just didn't do it for me; felt like a FWD car but backwards. By contrast, the CS drives beautifully. My only concern was engine noise on a trip, but loved it on the test-drive.
I was torn between the M3 and CS, but with all the DI problems, decided on the M3 first (besides it probably being the only V8 M3, which has been confirmed, so am happy I made that decision).
But my next car will be a CS; only question is if I keep the M3 or not, and that will depend on how reliable it turns out to be in the next 3-1/2 years. Good day.
elp_jc is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-08-2009, 01:35 AM   #6
Chris_S
New Member
 
Drives: '08 E90 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Austin, TX

Posts: 22
iTrader: (0)

I loved my old '07 Cayman S, it was a great sports car. I had a kid, though, and the M3's back seat comes in handy for hauling the family around. Love the M3, too, esp. the engine and added luxuries...even if it's not a sports car.
__________________
Chris
'08 E90 6MT
'08 S2000
'08 Honda Ridgeline
Chris_S is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-10-2009, 05:52 PM   #7
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
 
ruff's Avatar
 
Drives: 987 S .2, Lemond Zurich
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The mountains of Utah

Posts: 1,184
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
The only Porsche I'd buy is the Cayman S, although don't really like the rear, but no car is perfect. The 911 just didn't do it for me; felt like a FWD car but backwards. By contrast, the CS drives beautifully. My only concern was engine noise on a trip, but loved it on the test-drive.
I was torn between the M3 and CS, but with all the DI problems, decided on the M3 first (besides it probably being the only V8 M3, which has been confirmed, so am happy I made that decision).
But my next car will be a CS; only question is if I keep the M3 or not, and that will depend on how reliable it turns out to be in the next 3-1/2 years. Good day.
Jc,

I have been going through the same scenarios about the M3 vs the Cayman ever since the Cayman first came into being. When the 09 Cayman was revealed, I figure there would be no negatives with DFI, once again, thee car does not exist The DFI carbon build up concerns me. You may have seen my thread on it. DFI is the direction cars are going. It will be interesting to see the toothing problems with this design. Imo, The best design is the ISF. It is the only car I am aware of that combines DFI and port injection. The best of both worlds.

The problem with the 06s - 08s Caymans is a potential for power steering failure and smoke plumes at the track when driven to the limits. Design flaws in placement of the power steering line too close to the engine block and an insufficient oil separator are the culprits. So one must weigh the negatives vs the positives in considering a Gen 1 vs Gen 2 Croc.

The M3, a great all arounder, which made me a believer once again in the benefits of port injection. The S65 is a masterpiece that no true Porsche aficionado can deny. Love the high rev nature. The down side of course is atrocious mileage, especially for such a small displacement motor. Steering and brakes are noticeably weaker in the M3. The extra pork in the M3 is the biggest hindrance along with doo dads and gizmos that not only break, bug, and fail but also detract from the direct connection between man, machine, and the road.
__________________
All things are subject to interpretation; whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
ruff is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-14-2009, 05:55 AM   #8
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: '11 E90 M3, '12 958 S
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Irvine, CA

Posts: 1,877
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to a burrito
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgolfdr View Post
On my way back to the office drove by the Porsche dealer. I would have to say with the exception of the 911 that I wouldn't want any of the other models. I guess that you have to make lesser priced models but not a fan.
What exactly did you drive?
__________________
Peanut Butter Chunky

AD08. Akra. Huper Optik. KW V3. Macht Schnell. RE SSK. TMS.
a burrito is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-14-2009, 12:20 PM   #9
FStop7
I like cars
 
FStop7's Avatar
 
Drives: M6
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Newbury Park, CA

Posts: 5,059
iTrader: (3)

The new Cayman S with the limited slip diff is pretty fast. But I'm just not crazy about its looks vs. the 911, even though the Cayman is probably the better car in terms of the track.
__________________
FStop7 is offline   Vatican City State
0
Reply With Quote
      07-14-2009, 02:31 PM   #10
ersin
Brigadier General
 
ersin's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 IB E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland

Posts: 3,999
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
... felt like a FWD car but backwards.


Best description I've heard.
__________________

I've been assimilated. 6MT/ZPP/18"/PS extended.
ersin is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-14-2009, 03:21 PM   #11
itofigari
Second Lieutenant
 
itofigari's Avatar
 
Drives: F80soon/2010 Ducati 1198S RIP
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Austin, TX

Posts: 217
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff View Post
Jc,

I have been going through the same scenarios about the M3 vs the Cayman ever since the Cayman first came into being. When the 09 Cayman was revealed, I figure there would be no negatives with DFI, once again, thee car does not exist The DFI carbon build up concerns me. You may have seen my thread on it. DFI is the direction cars are going. It will be interesting to see the toothing problems with this design. Imo, The best design is the ISF. It is the only car I am aware of that combines DFI and port injection. The best of both worlds.

The problem with the 06s - 08s Caymans is a potential for power steering failure and smoke plumes at the track when driven to the limits. Design flaws in placement of the power steering line too close to the engine block and an insufficient oil separator are the culprits. So one must weigh the negatives vs the positives in considering a Gen 1 vs Gen 2 Croc.

The M3, a great all arounder, which made me a believer once again in the benefits of port injection. The S65 is a masterpiece that no true Porsche aficionado can deny. Love the high rev nature. The down side of course is atrocious mileage, especially for such a small displacement motor. Steering and brakes are noticeably weaker in the M3. The extra pork in the M3 is the biggest hindrance along with doo dads and gizmos that not only break, bug, and fail but also detract from the direct connection between man, machine, and the road.
..I own both and they are so different....I enjoy driving both equally but must say the Cayman S is for purists and definitely more track oriented...the M3 on the track though feels much lighter and nimble than it looks...quite an accomplishment by BMW. I am actually quicker on the track on the M3 and I am not sure if because the VAST difference in power, or the fact that I feel a bit more confident in the M3, being a car that doesn't seem to understeer.
Cayman S brakes like no other and is very forgiving in the track, but the nose feels light and pre 09 models do lack torque and the absence of a limited slip dif doesn't help either.
When it comes to the drive being engaging...I must say you dont need to go past 5,500 rpm (like in the M) to feel completely involved in the driving with the Cayman S...
just my humble opinion anyhow...
Cheers
Attached Images
 
itofigari is offline   Peru
0
Reply With Quote
      07-14-2009, 03:57 PM   #12
dcgolfdr
Wheelsucker
 
dcgolfdr's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 and a truck
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Arlington, VA

Posts: 926
iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by a burrito View Post
What exactly did you drive?
2008 e92 M3, 2006 e46 M3 vert (wife likes it), 2009 GL 320 Bluetec(for the kid and the dog).

The point of the post was that based on looks the 911 is the best, the rear end of the Cayman is so-so, the Boxster is a girl's car and the Cayenne doesn't belong. I was not trying to poo-poo the performance of any of the other cars, simply aesthetics.
dcgolfdr is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-14-2009, 04:19 PM   #13
niqui
Brigadier General
 
niqui's Avatar
 
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Canada

Posts: 3,100
iTrader: (7)

i think if the cayman s was more expensive more people would like it/respect it.
its my next car/.
niqui is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-14-2009, 04:24 PM   #14
1cleanm3
Brigadier General
 
1cleanm3's Avatar
 
Drives: ///E92M3*RR Sport*Prius
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: the 818

Posts: 3,604
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itofigari View Post
..I own both and they are so different....I enjoy driving both equally but must say the Cayman S is for purists and definitely more track oriented...the M3 on the track though feels much lighter and nimble than it looks...quite an accomplishment by BMW. I am actually quicker on the track on the M3 and I am not sure if because the VAST difference in power, or the fact that I feel a bit more confident in the M3, being a car that doesn't seem to understeer.
Cayman S brakes like no other and is very forgiving in the track, but the nose feels light and pre 09 models do lack torque and the absence of a limited slip dif doesn't help either.
When it comes to the drive being engaging...I must say you dont need to go past 5,500 rpm (like in the M) to feel completely involved in the driving with the Cayman S...
just my humble opinion anyhow...
Cheers
BEAUTIFUL lineup!!

i see the S' suspension is modded...coils or springs?
__________________
HRE + CHALLENGE + KW V3 + GINTANI + ARKYM + YOKOHAMA AD08
1cleanm3 is offline   Armenia
0
Reply With Quote
      07-14-2009, 04:51 PM   #15
itofigari
Second Lieutenant
 
itofigari's Avatar
 
Drives: F80soon/2010 Ducati 1198S RIP
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Austin, TX

Posts: 217
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBlue371 View Post
So which would you take if you could only have one?


And how do you like your bike compared to your cars?
Well, I think the M, because of the convenience of 4 doors + great performance. I think all around, at least for my current needs, the M3 is a great value, given all the options I have for the same price I paid for the Cayman S.

I can't really compare my Ducati to the cars...it is a different dimension....
itofigari is offline   Peru
0
Reply With Quote
      07-14-2009, 04:51 PM   #16
itofigari
Second Lieutenant
 
itofigari's Avatar
 
Drives: F80soon/2010 Ducati 1198S RIP
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Austin, TX

Posts: 217
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted335 View Post
BEAUTIFUL lineup!!

i see the S' suspension is modded...coils or springs?
Thanks man.
Cayman S has H&R coilovers...
itofigari is offline   Peru
0
Reply With Quote
      07-14-2009, 07:41 PM   #17
MrHarris
yodog
 
MrHarris's Avatar
 
Drives: '86 Corolla
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Diamond Bar, Ca

Posts: 5,035
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2009 BMW  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to MrHarris
Your Cayman S looks MEAN.
__________________

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
MrHarris is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-14-2009, 08:29 PM   #18
bobbyd1961
Banned
 
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: new jersey

Posts: 2,411
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgolfdr View Post
On my way back to the office drove by the Porsche dealer. I would have to say with the exception of the 911 that I wouldn't want any of the other models. I guess that you have to make lesser priced models but not a fan.
ill take my super hot 2009 m3 sedan that seats 5 and blows the porches doors off. no comparison
bobbyd1961 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-14-2009, 08:55 PM   #19
stickypaws
Dictator
 
stickypaws's Avatar
 
Drives: people crazy
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: where you want to be

Posts: 1,817
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyd1961 View Post
ill take my super hot 2009 m3 sedan that seats 5 and blows the porches doors off. no comparison
Porches are things people sit out on during the summer.
stickypaws is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-14-2009, 10:44 PM   #20
graider
Colonel
 
graider's Avatar
 
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: toronto

Posts: 2,408
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBlue371 View Post
+100000000000000000000


The P-Car people who hate the cayman amaze me. We all know that the 911 has iconic status as the best sports car of all time, but the new Cayman S is dollar for dollar the best sports car you can buy.
except the cayman looks a bit feminine IMO.

If I want to go porches, only the gt3 or gt3rs does it for me in term of look. even the turbo doesn't do it either.
graider is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-15-2009, 05:29 PM   #21
ImitationOfLife
New Member
 
Drives: Modded MKV R32
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Indiana

Posts: 17
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgolfdr View Post
... the Boxster is a girl's car and the Cayenne doesn't belong.
I can't even tell you how wrong you are on saying the Boxter is a girl's car.

Yes, I do agree that the Cayenne (in any form) isn't your typical, purist Porsche, but Porsche, as a company, had to make money somehow and the Cayenne was the solution. The Cayenne to me is the money maker so Porsche can keep supplying awesome cars such as the GT3, GT2, and others.
ImitationOfLife is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-17-2009, 01:03 AM   #22
graider
Colonel
 
graider's Avatar
 
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: toronto

Posts: 2,408
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImitationOfLife View Post
I can't even tell you how wrong you are on saying the Boxter is a girl's car.

Yes, I do agree that the Cayenne (in any form) isn't your typical, purist Porsche, but Porsche, as a company, had to make money somehow and the Cayenne was the solution. The Cayenne to me is the money maker so Porsche can keep supplying awesome cars such as the GT3, GT2, and others.
the boxter is def a girl's car or bald dude in their mid life crisis. neither are good.
graider is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:02 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST