BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
Race Precision Motorsport
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-25-2013, 05:27 PM   #1
JD3
Captain
 
Drives: 09 e92 M3, DCT.
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Columbus, OH

Posts: 663
iTrader: (2)

EVOMSit tune for ///M3

Hi everyone, I am planning on going with some Turner test pipes and want to get the tune as well. There is a new shop here in Columbus, OH called Covert Tuning Dynamics and they said that they will use the EVOMSit tuning software for this job.
I know EVOMSit does some high-end stuff but I've never heard of them on the forums in relation to an M3. In fact, they don't even list BMW on their website as an option. Obviously I would want to go with a tested/proven tune (Turner, Benvo, Evolve) but I honestly don't know anything beyond the basics in regards to engine tuning. Perhaps EVOMSit is perfectly fine? Anyone have any advice on this?
JD3 is offline   United_States
0
      01-25-2013, 05:51 PM   #2
flipm3
E46 + E90
 
Drives: E46 M3 + E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Illinois

Posts: 2,772
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Hmm, like you, I didn't even realize that EVOMSit were tuning BMWs. They do build some insane Porsches though.

I think you are better off choosing one of the more proven tunes; Evolve, ESS, BPMSport, AA, etc.

I'm sure you'll be pleased with any of those fine choices.

Best of luck with your search.
__________________
E90 M3 DCT|Melbourne Red . Speed Cloth | My Build Thread
E46 M3 6MT|Jet Black . Black Nappa Leather | My Build Thread
flipm3 is offline   Philippines
0
      01-25-2013, 07:09 PM   #3
C|3R1C
So Kewl Guy
 
C|3R1C's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 E93 M3 DCT
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 506
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD3
Hi everyone, I am planning on going with some Turner test pipes and want to get the tune as well. There is a new shop here in Columbus, OH called Covert Tuning Dynamics and they said that they will use the EVOMSit tuning software for this job.
I know EVOMSit does some high-end stuff but I've never heard of them on the forums in relation to an M3. In fact, they don't even list BMW on their website as an option. Obviously I would want to go with a tested/proven tune (Turner, Benvo, Evolve) but I honestly don't know anything beyond the basics in regards to engine tuning. Perhaps EVOMSit is perfectly fine? Anyone have any advice on this?
I would tell them to use someone you're more comfortable with, like Velos, BPM, AA, etc. you'll have the peace of mind.

I personally use Velos.
__________________
2010 E93 M3 / AA Catless X-Pipe / AA Catback / AA Pulley / Vorsteiner Vented Hood and Bootlid E93 Trunk / ADV1 7.1 Wheels GB / LS3 LED Lights / AFE Stage 2 / Velos Designwerks Tune
C|3R1C is offline  
0
      01-26-2013, 01:53 AM   #4
JD3
Captain
 
Drives: 09 e92 M3, DCT.
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Columbus, OH

Posts: 663
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by C|3R1C View Post
I would tell them to use someone you're more comfortable with, like Velos, BPM, AA, etc. you'll have the peace of mind.

I personally use Velos.
Yeah that's what I'm thinking. An engine tune is something I want to feel 110% comfortable with.
JD3 is offline   United_States
0
      01-28-2013, 12:20 PM   #5
JD3
Captain
 
Drives: 09 e92 M3, DCT.
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Columbus, OH

Posts: 663
iTrader: (2)

Bump, I sent EVOMS an email to get it from the source, I'll update.
JD3 is offline   United_States
0
      01-28-2013, 12:26 PM   #6
Dave07997S
Colonel
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 ZCP Coupe
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Playa del Rey, CA

Posts: 2,502
iTrader: (1)

I had one of their tunes on my 997S, definitely one of the better tunes for the PCar. However, like others have said..I would probably go with a tried and true tune. Give Mike a call at BPM, you won't be disappointed.

Dave
__________________
2013 M3 Coupe-MR/BLK ZCP, ACM test pipes, BPM Stg2 dev. tune and Megan catback, AFE Stg2. with C/F elbow
Previous rides: 2011 M3 Coupe-MR/Blk
2007 Porsche 997C2S Speed Yellow/Blk sport seats
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Dave07997S is offline  
0
      01-28-2013, 12:36 PM   #7
JD3
Captain
 
Drives: 09 e92 M3, DCT.
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Columbus, OH

Posts: 663
iTrader: (2)

Thanks Dave, I've sent Mike an email.
JD3 is offline   United_States
0
      01-28-2013, 12:45 PM   #8
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
THE TECH's Avatar
 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

Posts: 13,094
iTrader: (44)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
If anyone is interested in our tunes, shoot me a PM directly for the most prompt service.
__________________
THE TECH is offline   United_States
0
      01-28-2013, 12:48 PM   #9
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Mike Benvo's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E90 M3 / 400whp Turbo 7
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal

Posts: 4,661
iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH
If anyone is interested in our tunes, shoot me a PM directly for the most prompt service.
+1 sorry guys, I'm weeks behind. Feel free to call me direct however. Just not near a computer. Been using the iPhone App.
__________________

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Mike Benvo is offline   United_States
0
      01-28-2013, 12:51 PM   #10
JD3
Captain
 
Drives: 09 e92 M3, DCT.
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Columbus, OH

Posts: 663
iTrader: (2)

PM Sent!
JD3 is offline   United_States
0
      01-28-2013, 12:53 PM   #11
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
tom @ eas's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

Posts: 10,285
iTrader: (13)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD3 View Post
Hi everyone, I am planning on going with some Turner test pipes and want to get the tune as well. There is a new shop here in Columbus, OH called Covert Tuning Dynamics and they said that they will use the EVOMSit tuning software for this job.
I know EVOMSit does some high-end stuff but I've never heard of them on the forums in relation to an M3. In fact, they don't even list BMW on their website as an option. Obviously I would want to go with a tested/proven tune (Turner, Benvo, Evolve) but I honestly don't know anything beyond the basics in regards to engine tuning. Perhaps EVOMSit is perfectly fine? Anyone have any advice on this?
We've been very happy with the ESS tunes, coupled together with E-Flash.

Feel free to contact me if you should have any questions, I'll be happy to assist.
__________________
tom @ eas is offline   United_States
0
      01-29-2013, 12:52 AM   #12
HighandDry
Private First Class
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Seattle

Posts: 108
iTrader: (0)

Personally, I would go with a company that has a proven record with BMW.

Evolution is well known for Porsches, but not so much for BMW.

I had Evolution do a tune on my Ferrari. There were a lot of issues with the tune and I ended up taking it off. They did refund the money, but I was still out 600 bucks for the time for the mechanic to install/take off the tune.

In the Ferrari, they had to remove the ECU's from the car, which is a big expense and pain to do. I'm pretty sure they don't do any of their tunes via the OBD.
HighandDry is offline  
0
      01-29-2013, 07:29 AM   #13
JD3
Captain
 
Drives: 09 e92 M3, DCT.
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Columbus, OH

Posts: 663
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighandDry View Post
Personally, I would go with a company that has a proven record with BMW.

Evolution is well known for Porsches, but not so much for BMW.

I had Evolution do a tune on my Ferrari. There were a lot of issues with the tune and I ended up taking it off. They did refund the money, but I was still out 600 bucks for the time for the mechanic to install/take off the tune.

In the Ferrari, they had to remove the ECU's from the car, which is a big expense and pain to do. I'm pretty sure they don't do any of their tunes via the OBD.
Thanks, that's exactly the story I'm hoping to avoid! Several of the sponsors on this forum have given me some advice and I agree, go with the proven products. I've decided to go with bpm because I like some of their options and they do remote tunes.
I did send an email to evoms but have yet to hear back. I'll still update the thread with their response.
Also, I had a dream last night that I owned a 458 Italia so this message freaked me out a little. But dreaming of the Italia isn't that rare for me!

Last edited by JD3; 01-29-2013 at 07:35 AM.
JD3 is offline   United_States
0
      01-29-2013, 08:24 AM   #14
pbonsalb
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 08 E90 M3, 99 E36 M3 Turbo
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Concord, NH

Posts: 1,632
iTrader: (3)

Don't dump on the new tuner on the block. For example, it was not long ago that Velos, Benvo and Evolve released tunes here. So far, no dynos have shown one tune to be superior to any others. All we have are people saying they like their tune, or that one is better than another based on butt dynos. EVOMSit may be the next new popular tuner on the block.
pbonsalb is offline  
0
      01-29-2013, 08:52 AM   #15
JD3
Captain
 
Drives: 09 e92 M3, DCT.
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Columbus, OH

Posts: 663
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
Don't dump on the new tuner on the block. For example, it was not long ago that Velos, Benvo and Evolve released tunes here. So far, no dynos have shown one tune to be superior to any others. All we have are people saying they like their tune, or that one is better than another based on butt dynos. EVOMSit may be the next new popular tuner on the block.
That's a fair point and that was my original line of thinking...give them a shot. However, unlike the others mentioned on this thread, EVOMSit doesn't appear to have any focus on BMW. BMW is not even listed on the EVOMSit website. That's a big deal to me. Also, I like to support forum sponsors and while I'm sure they're all very good, I chose BPM.
ECU tuning is just something that I personally don't want to be the guinea pig on at this point.
JD3 is offline   United_States
0
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
ecu, evomsit, tune

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:39 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST