BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

Stick to Clutch

08-24-2006, 08:53 PM   #1
CMD

Drives:

Immigration Debate Sparks Bitter Words

Posted on Wed, Aug. 23, 2006
By Samantha Young
Associated Press

SACRAMENTO - The rancorous national debate over illegal immigration spilled into the California Assembly on Tuesday as Democrats yanked an immigration resolution after a testy, partisan exchange that drew an outburst from Speaker Fabian Nuñez.

The Los Angeles Democrat emerged from his office to silence Republican critics who were lambasting the non-binding resolution.

"We're pulling the bill. You've got a problem with that?'' he asked before uttering an expletive [the f-bomb] about Republican nitpicking and leaving the chamber, slamming the door that joins the Assembly to his conference room.

Democrats wanted a vote on a non-binding resolution urging Congress to pass immigration reform. It called upon President Bush and Congress to reject "mean-spirited'' and extreme immigration laws, referring to a House bill that called, in part, for making it a felony to be in the country illegally.

The move by Democrats to withdraw the bill came after lawmakers bickered over whether the measure also promoted decriminalizing illegal immigration.

Assemblyman Todd Spitzer, R-Orange, described the resolution as the most divisive document to come before the Assembly this year. He demanded that Nuñez come to the floor to defend it.

"If we're telling Congress, `Do not make illegal immigration criminal,' why don't we tell all the thieves in California who steal, `You're not a thief?' '' Spitzer said.

Afterward, he told a reporter he was not offended by the speaker's retaliatory remarks.

"He's not mad at me. I'm just the messenger,'' Spitzer said.

But Morgan Crinklaw, a spokesman for the Assembly Republican Caucus, said Nuñez's language "was completely unprofessional given the seriousness of the issue of illegal immigration.''

Nuñez did not respond to requests for further comment.

His spokesman, Steve Maviglio, said the speaker is "passionate about [Illegal]immigration.'' He also said many members in the Democrat-controlled Legislature had expected the resolution to pass before Republicans raised objections.

Democrats had hoped to send a resolution to Congress to add California's voice to the national debate over illegal immigration. Assembly Democrats argued that Congress should give an estimated 12 million immigrants in the country illegally a path to citizenship, while Republicans said the resolution endorsed illegal immigration.

Specifically, they questioned a sentence that asked the president and Congress to reject immigration-reform efforts that would criminalize individuals because of their immigration status.

Republicans countered that efforts to loosen citizenship rules for illegal immigrants already in the United States would open the floodgates to more illegal immigration.

The Bush administration has urged Congress to enact a temporary worker program to allow at least some illegal immigrants to remain in the country. The U.S. Senate has approved legislation that generally follows Bush's plan, but the House advocated its own bill over concerns that Bush's strategy would amount to amnesty.

© 2006 MercuryNews.com and wire service sources. All Rights Reserved.
http://www.mercurynews.com

08-24-2006, 09:48 PM   #2
pawarrant
SECDEF

Drives: 2013 Melbourne Red 328xi Sport

Garage List
2013 328xi  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to pawarrant
I know illegals vote in California (illegally), I was wondering if any have been elected to office yet?
Retired: 2003 325xi Steel Grey Metallic/Black Leather Wood Trim

pawarrant is offline   United_States
      08-25-2006, 09:38 AM   #3
ward
Major General

Drives: F

people sure love getting worked up about this stuff!

what's next? a big congressional brawl like the famous one from asia a few years ago?
      08-25-2006, 03:11 PM   #4
MrSilver
Judge Advocate General

Drives: e92 335i

Garage List
2007 e92 335i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to MrSilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawarrant
I know illegals vote in California (illegally), I was wondering if any have been elected to office yet?
If they get caught it is considered to be a false claim to United States citizenship, which renders them deportable.

'07 E92 335i "Over-Heating" and "Blowing Up" since 9-5-06
6MT, Space Gray, Gray w/ Dakota Leather, Dark Burl, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW
Comfort Access, Sirius Satellite (Howard is not optional)

'07 X3 3.0si - Black on Black, ZPP, ZCW, Step. - Wife's car
MrSilver is offline   United_States
      08-25-2006, 04:02 PM   #5
pawarrant
SECDEF

Drives: 2013 Melbourne Red 328xi Sport

Garage List
2013 328xi  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to pawarrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSilver
If they get caught it is considered to be a false claim to United States citizenship, which renders them deportable.
If they get caught on the ballot or if they get caught voting?

B.T.W. I can just see some small town's local election having a mayor or town councilperson who is an illegal.
Retired: 2003 325xi Steel Grey Metallic/Black Leather Wood Trim

pawarrant is offline   United_States
      08-26-2006, 08:08 AM   #6
MrSilver
Judge Advocate General

Drives: e92 335i

Garage List
2007 e92 335i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to MrSilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawarrant
If they get caught on the ballot or if they get caught voting?

B.T.W. I can just see some small town's local election having a mayor or town councilperson who is an illegal.
Even if they register to vote it may be considered a false claim to US citizenship.

'07 E92 335i "Over-Heating" and "Blowing Up" since 9-5-06
6MT, Space Gray, Gray w/ Dakota Leather, Dark Burl, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW
Comfort Access, Sirius Satellite (Howard is not optional)

'07 X3 3.0si - Black on Black, ZPP, ZCW, Step. - Wife's car
MrSilver is offline   United_States