BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Australia
 
INDustry distribution
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-03-2009, 01:35 PM   #1
Voltigeur
25
MacroRisk
 
Voltigeur's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: TX

Posts: 2,519
iTrader: (0)

M3 E92 cost in Oz (estimate)

Mates,

fellow Aussie living in US. I'm just curious: I've read in the Oz press, variously, that the cost of an E92 M3 is ~$160k. I'm assuming that is 'base' and sans most options (although I suspect you get more 'fruit' in your base than we do here in the States).

What does an M3 'run' Downunder when you tick nearly all the boxes, as I have, barring M-DCT? I'm guessing $175-180k on the road (?)

Just as a comp I was over in Bavaria for ED and I went on the bmw.de and there it came to ~EUR 84-85k before tax.
__________________

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Voltigeur is offline   Australia
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      07-04-2009, 06:08 AM   #2
aggie57
3
First Lieutenant
 
aggie57's Avatar
 
Drives: 2.0d X3, 2009 997 Carrera S
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Posts: 354
iTrader: (0)

around $190k plus.

Lots more standard as you say but still a lot more expensive. Luxury Car Tax is the main culprit really.
aggie57 is offline   Australia
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      07-04-2009, 12:17 PM   #3
Voltigeur
25
MacroRisk
 
Voltigeur's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: TX

Posts: 2,519
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie57 View Post
around $190k plus.

Lots more standard as you say but still a lot more expensive. Luxury Car Tax is the main culprit really.
I thought that might be possible and wondered about where the lux tax had got to, but still, I feel for my Aussie M3 mates.
__________________

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Voltigeur is offline   Australia
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      07-05-2009, 12:24 AM   #4
amk2912
16
Lieutenant Colonel
 
amk2912's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 X5 40d & '12 F10 520d
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Perth

Posts: 1,663
iTrader: (0)

LCT sucks big time! The list price of my E90 M3 was A$113k plus options added.....19" wheels, M-DCT, Sunroof, M-Drive, EDC - in fact, the only option I didn't have was the high end audio - everything else on Oz M3s are standard. When you lump in GST and LCT the car came to about A$166k. On road in WA took it to A$176k.

As you can see, GST and LCT are a sizeable chunk of the car's final price. As my car is predominantly used for business purposes I can claim a portion of the GST, plus businesses got a 30% tax break (up to the LCT threshold) up to 30 June 2009.
amk2912 is offline   Australia
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      07-05-2009, 12:53 AM   #5
Alpine*
33
Brigadier General
 
Alpine*'s Avatar
 
Drives: CLK63 Black
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Australia

Posts: 3,326
iTrader: (0)

Yeh, sucks big time. I got mine, E92, with everything except the extended leather. That means, Comfort windscreen, electric rear roller blind, Optional Individual Audio and 19's for $182k (December 07 order Jan Build March 08 Delivery.

Since then Luxury car tax has gone up so I guess new $190k loaded for an E92.

The crap thing is you can now pick up one second hand, 07 Build for say $135k with 15000kms (pus stamp duty and registration transfers). Big depreciation!

Sometimes I think of how I would go living in the US then realise I prolly would be buying Aston or Porsche or maybe M6. Anyway........
Alpine* is offline   Australia
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      07-05-2009, 04:12 AM   #6
amk2912
16
Lieutenant Colonel
 
amk2912's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 X5 40d & '12 F10 520d
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Perth

Posts: 1,663
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineM3E92 View Post
Sometimes I think of how I would go living in the US then realise I prolly would be buying Aston or Porsche or maybe M6. Anyway........
Dunno how I'd go with the cost of living in the US though. Our cars may be expensive but there's not much that can beat our way of life.

God bless America, God Defend New Zealand, Thank God for Australia!
amk2912 is offline   Australia
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      07-05-2009, 06:38 AM   #7
aggie57
3
First Lieutenant
 
aggie57's Avatar
 
Drives: 2.0d X3, 2009 997 Carrera S
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Posts: 354
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amk2912 View Post
Dunno how I'd go with the cost of living in the US though. Our cars may be expensive but there's not much that can beat our way of life.

God bless America, God Defend New Zealand, Thank God for Australia!
Very true. It all seems to even out in the end.
aggie57 is offline   Australia
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2009, 02:27 AM   #8
zenderm3
19
Lieutenant Colonel
 
zenderm3's Avatar
 
Drives: E36 M3 DY/2010 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Brisbane

Posts: 1,961
iTrader: (0)

Apparrently although our cars are much more expensive we have a greater opportunity to write off the value for tax (within a business) compared with the states (not sure about Europe)... in the end, like you said Aggie - it all evens out!!

How is the 997 going anyway? Would love to go for a ride in one of those babies!
__________________
________________
My ///M is in my garage .... and it is a beast!
2010 E92 M3 Space Grey | Fully Loaded
1996 E36 M3 Dakar Yellow - No Longer With Me
2004 Honda Accord Euro - SOLD
zenderm3 is offline   Australia
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      07-07-2009, 05:21 PM   #9
aggie57
3
First Lieutenant
 
aggie57's Avatar
 
Drives: 2.0d X3, 2009 997 Carrera S
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Posts: 354
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenderm3 View Post
Apparrently although our cars are much more expensive we have a greater opportunity to write off the value for tax (within a business) compared with the states (not sure about Europe)... in the end, like you said Aggie - it all evens out!!

How is the 997 going anyway? Would love to go for a ride in one of those babies!
Great thanks. Got it back yesterday with the sunroof working properly so all good on that front.

I'm in Melbourne though so a ride may be difficult.
aggie57 is offline   Australia
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      07-07-2009, 05:30 PM   #10
Aussie F10M
6
Captain
 
Aussie F10M's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 M5
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia

Posts: 635
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineM3E92 View Post
Yeh, sucks big time. I got mine, E92, with everything except the extended leather. That means, Comfort windscreen, electric rear roller blind, Optional Individual Audio and 19's for $182k (December 07 order Jan Build March 08 Delivery.

Since then Luxury car tax has gone up so I guess new $190k loaded for an E92.

The crap thing is you can now pick up one second hand, 07 Build for say $135k with 15000kms (pus stamp duty and registration transfers). Big depreciation!

Sometimes I think of how I would go living in the US then realise I prolly would be buying Aston or Porsche or maybe M6. Anyway........
I have the same spec car as yours, purchased September 08 - $192k !
Aussie F10M is offline   Australia
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      07-08-2009, 03:23 AM   #11
Alpine*
33
Brigadier General
 
Alpine*'s Avatar
 
Drives: CLK63 Black
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Australia

Posts: 3,326
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS14 View Post
I have the same spec car as yours, purchased September 08 - $192k !
Thank Mr Krudd my friend, LCT increase!!!!!!
Alpine* is offline   Australia
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      07-08-2009, 08:30 AM   #12
aussiem3
16
Lieutenant Colonel
 
aussiem3's Avatar
 
Drives: Goggomobil
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kangaroo land

Posts: 1,654
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2014 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
2007 E92 M3  [0.00]
Mine a fully optioned except for rear blind was $178,000 on the road when I purchased in Nov '07. Mine was second car delivered in WA. I don't think I would have bought one if I had waited till now. I really feel for the guys buying it now outside business. Mine is 100% personal use! I have done 12,000km since Nov '07.
__________________

2007 E92 6MT - Silverstone II with /// Performance Exhaust with ACM Test Pipes and BPM Sport Stage II Dev-Tune - Proper engine warm up, 12-monthly oil change, Castrol TWS 10w-60
2014 F15 X5 3.0d
aussiem3 is offline   Australia
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      07-08-2009, 12:58 PM   #13
Voltigeur
25
MacroRisk
 
Voltigeur's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: TX

Posts: 2,519
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenderm3 View Post
Apparrently although our cars are much more expensive we have a greater opportunity to write off the value for tax (within a business) compared with the states (not sure about Europe)... in the end, like you said Aggie - it all evens out!!

How is the 997 going anyway? Would love to go for a ride in one of those babies!
True. Mine is 100% NON-deductible, even though I use it for work sometime. And no way my mileage reimbursement (~ 50c mile) covers the total cost of an M3. Sucks.

Really like 997s but went M3 this time. Will do a 911 someday when I don't need to use my car so much and on backroads.
__________________

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Voltigeur is offline   Australia
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      07-08-2009, 12:59 PM   #14
Voltigeur
25
MacroRisk
 
Voltigeur's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: TX

Posts: 2,519
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiem3 View Post
Mine a fully optioned except for rear blind was $178,000 on the road when I purchased in Nov '07. Mine was second car delivered in WA. I don't think I would have bought one if I had waited till now. Mine is 100% personal use! I have done 12,000km since Nov '07.
Because of the economy I assume. Caused me to pause, then went, what the hell - but part of the rationale for not going 997 was to save some money given the tragic economy / markets.

Mine also 100% personal use - in that I cover 100% of the cost, and no tax break.
__________________

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Voltigeur is offline   Australia
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      07-08-2009, 01:07 PM   #15
Voltigeur
25
MacroRisk
 
Voltigeur's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: TX

Posts: 2,519
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amk2912 View Post
Dunno how I'd go with the cost of living in the US though. Our cars may be expensive but there's not much that can beat our way of life.

God bless America, God Defend New Zealand, Thank God for Australia!
Cost of living is generally cheaper here. I can't believe the cost of groceries; eating out now, when I'm back in Oz. Wine's still cheaper Downunder.

And houses are quite a bit less as long as you don't live in SF, NY etc. And US residents get to deduct our mortgages from income for tax purposes (will take that lurk anyday over car tax break)

Last, but not least: we can get 30-year fixed-rate mortgages and car rates are - 2.9% / 60m. was easy to justify the M-car on that basis

Of course I do love the Aussie way of life, but it's not as easy as it used to be; lots of my mates work just as hard as is typical in the US. I reckon life was more balanced from 1950s - 70s from what my Dad told me.
__________________

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Voltigeur is offline   Australia
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      07-08-2009, 05:31 PM   #16
LuKe450
2
Second Lieutenant
 
LuKe450's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 DCT
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Melbourne

Posts: 255
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post
And houses are quite a bit less as long as you don't live in SF, NY etc. And US residents get to deduct our mortgages from income for tax purposes (will take that lurk anyday over car tax break)

Last, but not least: we can get 30-year fixed-rate mortgages and car rates are - 2.9% / 60m. was easy to justify the M-car on that basis .
Wholly sheet!! Make room I'm moving to the USA!!
LuKe450 is offline   Australia
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      07-08-2009, 11:39 PM   #17
aggie57
3
First Lieutenant
 
aggie57's Avatar
 
Drives: 2.0d X3, 2009 997 Carrera S
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Posts: 354
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post
Cost of living is generally cheaper here. I can't believe the cost of groceries; eating out now, when I'm back in Oz. Wine's still cheaper Downunder.

And houses are quite a bit less as long as you don't live in SF, NY etc. And US residents get to deduct our mortgages from income for tax purposes (will take that lurk anyday over car tax break)

Last, but not least: we can get 30-year fixed-rate mortgages and car rates are - 2.9% / 60m. was easy to justify the M-car on that basis

Of course I do love the Aussie way of life, but it's not as easy as it used to be; lots of my mates work just as hard as is typical in the US. I reckon life was more balanced from 1950s - 70s from what my Dad told me.
Still reckon it evens out. Don't forget the US National debt. That's something to make the eyes water, and don't get sick unless you have private health. And don't forget to add the 20% tip, and pay the valet parking.....and....and......

yeah, yeah - off topic I know but what the hell! Anyway, the US is a good place. Been there a lot and like it fine.
aggie57 is offline   Australia
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:24 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST